HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 28, 2024, 7:27 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

A comment on Edmonton:

1. Edmonton doubled the height of its skyline, but only added four buildings in the center of that skyline. There are residential buildings in the Warehouse District (Icons, Fox) that have some impact but not as prominent as the four office buildings which have doubled the skyline height.

2. The difference is most notable when looked at from the north. I remember driving in from Bon Accord that the skyline appears in the most surprising fashion, almost disorienting if you see that angle for the first time.

3. The north angle, especially from NAIT allows you to take in the view of how much the skyline was sprawled as the TOD around Stadium and the development in West Jasper and 124th street.

Not saying it is any superlative change but a change has happened.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2024, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
for sure you can’t get a full view of the ny skyline like that. maybe the laguardia flights view, but thats more of a mush than a skyline.
Yeah. It's kind of impossible to see NYC's entire skyline in one view from ground level.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2024, 4:25 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Yeah. It's kind of impossible to see NYC's entire skyline in one view from ground level.
You can sort of see almost the whole thing from Eagle Rock Reservation over in NJ (West Orange). Technically its at ground level, just not at a sea level of 0".

Or... or... if one happens to be on the Whitestone Bridge heading into Queens, about the mid point of the bridge. On a clear day, its quite an epic site. Just make sure not to crash into the traffic cones on the side if there is no slow moving traffic.

But yeah from ASML of 0", pretty much impossible, its that long. Rockaway potentially but even than missing portions of it.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2024, 4:49 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klippenstein View Post
The parts you could look at individually and really see the impact would be the South end of Grant Park.
Yeah, 90% of the South loop skyline wasn't there 24 years ago.

IMO, watching this brand new skyline rise on the near South side has been the most fun part of being a scraper nerd in Chicago over the past two decades or so.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2024, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
You can sort of see almost the whole thing from Eagle Rock Reservation over in NJ (West Orange). Technically its at ground level, just not at a sea level of 0".

Or... or... if one happens to be on the Whitestone Bridge heading into Queens, about the mid point of the bridge. On a clear day, its quite an epic site. Just make sure not to crash into the traffic cones on the side if there is no slow moving traffic.

But yeah from ASML of 0", pretty much impossible, its that long. Rockaway potentially but even than missing portions of it.
Yeah, the view from Whitestone is good.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 3:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
That's the most cromulent response ever.
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest skyline.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 12:13 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^

Well played.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Yeah, 90% of the South loop skyline wasn't there 24 years ago.

IMO, watching this brand new skyline rise on the near South side has been the most fun part of being a scraper nerd in Chicago over the past two decades or so.

Nearly all of that is new?!? Impressive.

BTW I love that Sears Tower ripoff, it looks almost as great as the original!!!

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 5:33 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Nearly all of that is new?!?
Yes.

You can see a few lower pre-war highrises over on the right that've obviously been there for ages.

But the vast majority of the taller stuff is 21st century.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 6:16 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:

whitestone is kinda similar to the laguardia takeoff/landing view i mentioned that we all know from flying in and out --

and tbf those chicago shots were aerials -- but its in a line so you can get it all in --

like you said its tough to get it all in for this city -- that's ok

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Just some comparisons. From early 2002 to 2015. To get an idea of the infill and expansion for Seattle's CBD node and proxies.

2002 to 2015

Seattle from Aboveby Jim Parker, on Flickr

Seattle Aerial by AlessioRLoreti, on Flickr

Further 2016. Reference 2002 image to this one as alignment is a lot closer.

Downtown Seattle aerial by SounderBruce, on Flickr
Thanks for posting, not that anyone here cares one iota about Seattle.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamJacob View Post
Actually, Seattle's skyline is and has been for a long time, a crowd favorite on this forum.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
whitestone is kinda similar to the laguardia takeoff/landing view i mentioned that we all know from flying in and out --

and tbf those chicago shots were aerials -- but its in a line so you can get it all in --

like you said its tough to get it all in for this city -- that's ok
Yeah, landing or taking off from LGA (especially landing) is the best way to appreciate the skyline. I found a new video on YouTube that is a fairly up-to-date view of the skyline:

Video Link

The video starts with the plane going south along the Hudson before looping around the tip of lower Manhattan to get in position for the landing. The good parts start around the 2:50 mark. The video captures most of Manhattan, Jersey City, downtown Brooklyn, Williamsburg waterfront, and Long Island City.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 8:27 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamJacob View Post
We don't hear too much about Seattle here. AFAIK, there's only one regular poster from there. It tends to fly under the radar. But I think most on the forum have a pretty favorable opinion of it.

Not too long ago there was a forum wide survey and Seattle came in 6th overall amongst the top 10 skylines in the US.

The results:
1. New York City
2. Chicago
3. San Francisco
4. Los Angeles
5. Philadelphia
6. Seattle
7. Houston
8. Miami
9. Pittsburgh
10. Atlanta

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 9:15 PM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
We don't hear too much about Seattle here. AFAIK, there's only one regular poster from there. It tends to fly under the radar. But I think most on the forum have a pretty favorable opinion of it.
I believe mhays is from seattle, as am I, as of a year ago. Not sure who else.

And yes, I've never heard a bad thing about seattle in all the years ive been on this forum

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 10:15 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Yeah, landing or taking off from LGA (especially landing) is the best way to appreciate the skyline. I found a new video on YouTube that is a fairly up-to-date view of the skyline:

Yeah this one is pretty epic, pretty epic.

One of my favorites. Probably one of the best NYC landing videos from the Canada Air route to LGA out there. Best to watch on an OLED and in 4k.

This one below via some fella named Tom Chapman is also quite good.

Good visibility, excellent coverage of density. Also Brooklyn itself, the density that has occurred over the last 10 years.

Video Link

Just some screen shots:

DT Brooklyn:

East River (Greenpoint, Domino, Hunters Point):

LIC:

Silhouette:

Bonus: Jersey City

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 11:55 PM
The New Republic

Quote:

Video Link

The video starts with the plane going south along the Hudson before looping around the tip of lower Manhattan to get in position for the landing. The good parts start around the 2:50 mark. The video captures most of Manhattan, Jersey City, downtown Brooklyn, Williamsburg waterfront, and Long Island City.
Fantastic view from that airplane window. It's a gargantuan skyline but it gets elevated even more with Manhattan being an island and the existence of Central Park. They help frame it all. From the SSP database, did I include all the areas I needed for the New York MSA? I listed what I entered below the table.

100m Buildings

Built: 913
U/C: 51
Proposed: 74

New York: New york, Fort Lee, Guttenberg, Jersey City, New Rochelle, Newark, North Bergen, West New York, Franklin Township, White Plains

Last edited by isaidso; Apr 30, 2024 at 12:08 AM.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2024, 3:51 AM

NYC is a monster. Wow!

Old Posted Apr 30, 2024, 4:03 AM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
Every time i see all those tower-in-the-park developments (e.g. stuytown) from above, where they really stand out, i am filled with an implacable rage

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2024, 11:11 AM

StuyTown replaced a district of mostly gas storage tanks. It could obviously be better, but it reflects the era in which it was built. At street level, it's rather nice. Adjacent Peter Cooper Village is even nicer.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions