HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montréaliste View Post
Another fun fact is that the people of Michigan don't all agree on what to call themselves. Michiganians or Michiganders, or better yet: Meshuggeners.
The only place I see that Michiganian nonsense is the Detroit News. Everyone else says Michigander.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
^ no, cle is nowhere near the number two market for osu. for one thing, number two as compared to what? ohio? come on. im sure chillicothe for example beats it. regardless, nd is likely still bigger or as big fandom around cle than osu even today. thats not the case in cinci. unlike cle they have a real college there, uc.

this is fun — 11 inaccurate geographic markers:

https://www.atlasobscura.com/article...raphic-markers
I would bet there are more people from NEO that attend OSU than anywhere else, including Columbus. It's a huge hotbed of OSU fandom because, as you state, there's no real local university with any sort of sports presence. Cleveland, the city with neighborhoods called "Ohio City" and "Buckeye-Shaker", is quintessential Ohio. No city-state vibe there, at all.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 4:40 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
I would bet there are more people from NEO that attend OSU than anywhere else, including Columbus. It's a huge hotbed of OSU fandom because, as you state, there's no real local university with any sort of sports presence. Cleveland, the city with neighborhoods called "Ohio City" and "Buckeye-Shaker", is quintessential Ohio. No city-state vibe there, at all.
of course more attend osu than cinci, there is no big school option there like uc. it probably does for kent, kenyon and a lot of other ohio colleges too, so what?

why do you think cle adopted nd? again, no big college and many more catholics and irish than cinci, thats why.

so no the overall osu fandom does not rate per capita there as it does vs many, many other ohio cities.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
The only place I see that Michiganian nonsense is the Detroit News. Everyone else says Michigander.
According to Wiki, a paltry 14% vouch for Michiganian as a demonym. So, I'll have to agree with you there. Anyone however lean toward Meshuggeneh?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 6:29 PM

Quote:
of course more attend osu than cinci, there is no big school option there like uc. it probably does for kent, kenyon and a lot of other ohio colleges too, so what?

why do you think cle adopted nd? again, no big college and many more catholics and irish than cinci, thats why.

so no the overall osu fandom does not rate per capita there as it does vs many, many other ohio cities.
Sigh...

Take a look at the top 10 media markets for Notre Dame's 2020 football season. You'll see three Ohio cities listed, and Cleveland isn't one of them! Cincinnati is #4. So you were saying?

https://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2...d-in-15-years/

The whole midwest, and even midwest adjacent metros like Louisville and Pittsburgh, have large contingents of ND fans. Cleveland is not special in this regard. I also don't think Cleveland is much more Catholic, or substantially more Irish than Cincinnati. Cincy has a ton of Irish people, and most of the German immigrants to the city (far and away the biggest group) were Catholic, as they tended to come from Bavaria.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 6:59 PM

I thought Geographic oddities was a great idea for a thread!

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
The whole midwest, and even midwest adjacent metros like Louisville and Pittsburgh, have large contingents of ND fans. Cleveland is not special in this regard. I also don't think Cleveland is much more Catholic, or substantially more Irish than Cincinnati. Cincy has a ton of Irish people, and most of the German immigrants to the city (far and away the biggest group) were Catholic, as they tended to come from Bavaria.
FWIW, Notre Dame is fairly popular in the Detroit area too. ND's sports program has gotta be the third most popular among college sports in Metro Detroit, although it must be quite far behind Michigan and MSU.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 7:16 PM
devout Pizzatarian

I'm pretty sure ND is #1 in chicagoland for football, thanks to northwestern's and U of I's lackluster football programs, and the metro area's GIANT catholic population (chicagoland is ~1/3 catholic, one of the highest rates in the nation among the big metros)

Last edited by Steely Dan; Apr 8, 2021 at 9:00 PM.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 8:49 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by montréaliste View Post
According to Wiki, a paltry 14% vouch for Michiganian as a demonym. So, I'll have to agree with you there. Anyone however lean toward Meshuggeneh?
Yeah, I don't think I've ever once heard a person from Michigan refer to themselves or another person as a Michiganian. Most of us are crazy fools though, so Meshuggeneh would probably apply.

Quote:
put it this way, you know the big three st. pats parade/celebrations automatically, right? ny, boston and they turn the river green in chicago. cleveland is still number 4.

https://www.theactivetimes.com/trave...rades/slide-15

I once took a Megabus from Pittsburgh to Detroit, and we stopped in Cleveland, and it happened to be St. Patty's day and the bus stop happened to be right where all of the drunk crowds were gathered, and I remember thinking, this was a big mistake. The crowd circled the bus and pushed on it, the whole bus started rocking, as if they thought they could knock it over.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 9:59 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM View Post
Lol

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
I'm pretty sure ND is #1 in chicagoland for football, thanks to northwestern's and U of I's lackluster football programs, and the metro area's GIANT catholic population (chicagoland is ~1/3 catholic, one of the highest rates in the nation among the big metros)
When I was in Chicago, I thought that there were a lot of Michigan fans as well. I don't think I saw one U of I fan haha.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 11:23 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBruin View Post
When I was in Chicago, I thought that there were a lot of Michigan fans as well.
Yeah, between michigan alums originally from chicagoland who come back home, and transplants from michigan, the wolverines might be #2 for college football after ND. The badgers are probably #3.

that said, outside of a handful of trendy northside neighborhoods over-run with big 10 grads, chicago is a THOROUGHLY pro-sports town. college sports are a very distant second fiddle here, generally speaking.

if you polled chicagoans for their #1 football team, pro or college, i wouldn't be surprised if "da bears" beat out all other college teams combined. ditto for the bulls in basketball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBruin View Post
I don't think I saw one U of I fan haha.
Come back during basketball season. U of I has a decent fan base in chicago for b-ball. It's just that their football program has been a big 10 doormat for as long as I've been alive, so pretty much nobody cares about it.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Apr 9, 2021 at 1:10 PM.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 10:31 PM

I just learned this recently. Not really an oddity, but more of an interesting factoid. Southern California and Florida have very similar land area, population, and population density:

Southern California (as defined by Wikipedia):
- Land Area: 56,505 sq mi
- Population: 23,860,793
- Population Density: 422 ppsm

Florida:
- Land Area: 65,768 sq mi
- Population: 21,733,312
- Population Density: 384 ppsm

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 12:13 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM View Post

There are a number of things to do in Okotoks.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Yeah, between michigan alums originally from chicagoland who come back home, and transplants from michigan, the wolverines might be #2 for college football after ND. The badgers are probably #3.
I've spent a few drunken evenings at Duffy's in Chicago. It's easily the most popular bar in Michigan's global alumni network, which calls itself the largest living alumni network in the world.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 1:51 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Talking

^ ha, years ago I played in a euchre league that met at Duffy's.

I have no association to the University in ann arbor, but because I was taught how to play euchre in michigan by michiganders, it's a game I've always strongly associated with the great lakes state.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 3:04 AM

For those commenting on the popularity of Notre Dame in the Midwest, remember that Notre Dame is the Yankees or Lakers of college football. There are a lot of Notre Dame fans here in northern Delaware. I know of a lot of Notre Dame fans in Massachusetts, as well.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 3:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja vu View Post
Interesting. My experience has been quite the opposite, and I've lived here most of my life. When I talk to folks from Michigan, especially metro Detroiters, they usually say they are from "Detroit". That's always before I tell them I'm also originally from metro Detroit. Then, they will open up more and clarify the actual city. I'm sure this is just a habit born out of brevity. I think the going assumption of Michiganders is that folks outside of the state / Midwest still generally know where Detroit is (southeast Michigan), but have no clue that places like Rochester, Utica, and Troy aren't just in New York state, so they just simplify it to avoid the explanation. Probably not unlike someone from Arlington Heights saying they are from Chicago.

I think Michigan and Detroit's brands are inextricably intertwined. Michigan has a lot of natural beauty and it is also peppered with gritty, post-rust belt resurgence cities. Detroit's brand is definitely more positive now.

Speaking of geographic oddities, it also helps a state's brand when one can just point to their hand to explain to folks where they are from

Source: Reddit
It's not a whole state, but Cape Cod has a body part to help out, and it's even easier then talking about places on the palm of your hand. Just picture someone flexing their left bicep, and that's Cape Cod. I have an uncle that live on Cape Cod in Orleans, which is "above the elbow".

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 3:17 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
For those commenting on the popularity of Notre Dame in the Midwest, remember that Notre Dame is the Yankees or Lakers of college football. There are a lot of Notre Dame fans here in northern Delaware. I know of a lot of Notre Dame fans in Massachusetts, as well.
Yeah, if you put 3 random white american catholics together, you've probably already found at least one ND fan.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
I claim no real knowledge of US college sports but is the Notre Dame popularity explained by the fact ( is it a fact? ) that no college team as successfully grafts itself on to an identity as much as Notre Dame does.

They are THE Irish...the Irish team in North America. No surprise they would hoover up support in EG MA or indeed the North-Eastern states in general or for that matter Chicago. Wherever there is a legacy Irish community there is Notre Dame fandom.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions