HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboy View Post
I think this sums up my opinion completely, CCF! The only thing that I'm wondering about is the ball park and soccer field. They somehow think this can be combined. I can't picture how this would look. However, I'm concerned this will end up in The Yards. With the amount of land it will gobble up including parking, it will just be a frozen wasteland for a big chunk of the year.
I believe NYCFC plays at Yankee Stadium. It appears doable, although not ideal.

It certainly makes sense from a cost sharing and land use perspective.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 5:10 PM
BANNED

So, did anyone mention that the Provincial Court is on the block of the supposed preferred arena site? This can’t be a serious option.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
So, did anyone mention that the Provincial Court is on the block of the supposed preferred arena site? This can’t be a serious option.
That building is very cheaply built and probably due for replacement.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 6:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
That building is very cheaply built and probably due for replacement.
Well, building an arena and library together makes little sense. Might as well add a new courthouse in there. Maybe throw a grocery store in there for good measure.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 6:05 PM
Canadian Urbanite

Quote:
New catalyst project *unlocked*

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 6:31 PM

Rebuilding the court house is going to cost $10+ million and require complete buy in from the provincial government.

It would have to be rebuilt before demo of the existing one.

And it's not even talked about in their documents.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
Rebuilding the court house is going to cost $10+ million and require complete buy in from the provincial government.

It would have to be rebuilt before demo of the existing one.

And it's not even talked about in their documents.
I would say $30-60 million.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 6:39 PM

It appears they are proposing the baseball/soccer facilities for Taylor Field and they would be separate.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 6:59 PM

Baseball at Taylor Field again. Like the old days.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 9:05 PM

Major development in Regina is just a series of lies.

"By using public money to build a new football stadium, we can clear up a bunch of land for low-income housing and community spaces!

"By using that land set aside for low-income housing and community spaces for a new publicly funded sports stadium, we can generate money in the community!"

It's lie after lie.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post

"By using public money to build a new football stadium, we can clear up a bunch of land for low-income housing and community spaces!

"By using that land set aside for low-income housing and community spaces for a new publicly funded sports stadium, we can generate money in the community!"

It's lie after lie.
One of the City Councilors said there were "whispers of low-income housing" at the Taylor Field site when it was demolished but nothing definitive! LOL

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 9:39 PM
BANNED

I just have to rant for second: if we're going to wait for private investment for affordable housing, it's never going to happen. The whole idea that affordable housing can be created with private investment is bat shit insane and it doesn't take rocket appliances to realize that. Even with public funding included, no private owner is going to limit their own growth potential. The only affordable housing is public housing, full stop. Since our federal or provincial governments aren't interested in fully funding public housing, and our city can't afford to do that, there is never going to be affordable housing built on the old Taylor Field site so might as well just build a stupid baseball stadium to get the temporary boost of construction jobs.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 9:48 PM
arf

Quote:

It's lie after lie.
Agreed.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 10:15 PM

2022 Councilor Bresciani: “I had heard that there were whispers that the Taylor Field was going to be designated for some affordable housing. But there has been nothing that has moved that forward,” she said.

2016 Mayor: “There will be varying degrees of density,” Fougere said. “There will be affordable housing.”

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 11:16 PM

---

Last edited by jigglysquishy; Jun 29, 2023 at 7:24 PM.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2022, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
It appears they are proposing the baseball/soccer facilities for Taylor Field and they would be separate.

The baseball/soccer combination is a shady way to get buy-in from a larger cohort than just baseball lovers. The soccer community was supposed to build a synthetic field in conjunction with Minor Football when they redid Leibel Field. That didn't happen because FCR (Football Club Regina) is run about as well as a banana republic. They have great big plans to revitalize the soccer facility at Evraz. They should try to get that off the ground first.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2022, 6:47 PM

Quote:
I just have to rant for second: if we're going to wait for private investment for affordable housing, it's never going to happen. The whole idea that affordable housing can be created with private investment is bat shit insane and it doesn't take rocket appliances to realize that. Even with public funding included, no private owner is going to limit their own growth potential. The only affordable housing is public housing, full stop. Since our federal or provincial governments aren't interested in fully funding public housing, and our city can't afford to do that, there is never going to be affordable housing built on the old Taylor Field site so might as well just build a stupid baseball stadium to get the temporary boost of construction jobs.
But is it? Thats how its done...all over the world. Vancouver, Seattle, Toronto, NYC etc etc.

Private Money can OFTEN be the catalyst for affordable housing incorporated into market developments. The problem is there is no one with the TRUE mindset that allows for the creativity to do this. When the housing is built it should be close to the core and/or NOD/North Central where there are services across the board.

The City should partner with Private Investment to kick start it and have a mix of housing types within private development, with public money funding the private development components. It really isn't rocket science.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2022, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newstart View Post
But is it? Thats how its done...all over the world. Vancouver, Seattle, Toronto, NYC etc etc.

Private Money can OFTEN be the catalyst for affordable housing incorporated into market developments. The problem is there is no one with the TRUE mindset that allows for the creativity to do this. When the housing is built it should be close to the core and/or NOD/North Central where there are services across the board.

The City should partner with Private Investment to kick start it and have a mix of housing types within private development, with public money funding the private development components. It really isn't rocket science.
Many major cities require new developments to include X% of units as affordable housing. Can you imagine Regina city council making a place like Gardens on Rose build 5-10 low-income units? I think it should happen, but I can't see our council doing it since it means way less profits for developers.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2022, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Many major cities require new developments to include X% of units as affordable housing. Can you imagine Regina city council making a place like Gardens on Rose build 5-10 low-income units? I think it should happen, but I can't see our council doing it since it means way less profits for developers.
Yes. and then there are some developers who are embracing it.

Obviously that element does not work for Regina because it would just be another hurdle for development within the urban core that most would just shake their head at and say no too. That being said there are ways to do it. It can include land swaps, it can include land disposition, it can include a more significant component and partnerships with Non-Profits and Private Investment

Westbank is just completing a project in Vancouver with 62 Market Unis and 80 Affordable Units. They have similar plans in Toronto.

Now I get my comments are a bit of a challenge because no one is and no one wants to build in downtown Regina...but it is completely possible if the right forces came together was more my point.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 1:05 AM
BANNED

Public housing was something that all levels of government used to do. And then in the 90s, once market fundamentalism took hold, for some reason we decided to introduce private investment and the profit-motive into affordable housing, which serves no practical purpose. As other things like low interest rates and low supply drive up prices, all prices rise and “affordable” housing eventually becomes very profitable but not affordable. We need public housing that provides decent homes to families like mine when I was growing up in the Regina Housing townhouses on the west end of Rochdale Blvd. Countries in Europe didn’t go as hard as us, the US, and the UK did, but most western countries going in the neoliberal, market fundamentalist direction doesn’t mean it was a moral or sustainable endeavor.

Last edited by djforsberg; Oct 25, 2022 at 12:02 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan