HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 30, 2023, 5:08 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Didn't Ford already say they were losing money on every EV? I hope they will get a little more efficient with production.
Even before this, net profit per vehicle ranged between -$2252 and -$761, although that includes all of Ford's vehicles, not just EVs. And I think the ICEVs have much higher margins than BEVs in general. GM's CEO said in a recent interview that they are currently losing 5-6 thousand dollars on each EV that they sell and that they hope to break even on each vehicle by 2025.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2023, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Even before this, net profit per vehicle ranged between -$2252 and -$761, although that includes all of Ford's vehicles, not just EVs. And I think the ICEVs have much higher margins than BEVs in general. GM's CEO said in a recent interview that they are currently losing 5-6 thousand dollars on each EV that they sell and that they hope to break even on each vehicle by 2025.
Wow, so 2030 now?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2023, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Didn't Ford already say they were losing money on every EV? I hope they will get a little more efficient with production.
Indeed. I'd love a breakdown of the costs. Is it new one-time investment costs being divided among produced vehicles that drive it negative (R&D, retooling, retraining, etc.) or is it actually the sum of parts + labour adding up higher than the wholesale price?

They'll eventually outrun the initial investment costs without changing anything else. It'll be much harder if they need to find ~20% in manufacturing efficiencies to turn a decent profit.

Last edited by rbt; Jan 31, 2023 at 2:05 AM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2023, 9:59 PM

Oops:

Tesla Owner Tweets at Elon Musk After Model Y "Steering Wheel Falls Off" While Driving
If accurate, this is at least the second time a Tesla steering wheel has disconnected in the past three years.
Justin Westbrook Writer Jan 30, 2023

In a post targeting Tesla CEO Elon Musk, Twitter user Prerak (@preneh24) posted photos and details of a "horrific" experience with his brand-new Tesla Model Y all-electric SUV: The steering wheel reportedly came off while the vehicle was in motion. This would be at least the second incident of a new Tesla's wheel falling off since 2020, when the same happened to a Tesla Model 3 sedan.

According to Prerak's post, they were driving their Tesla Model Y in traffic when the steering wheel came off in their hands. Luckily, Prerak was able to move the Model Y off to the side of the road without causing any further incident, where the vehicle was later towed away. Images posted show the steering wheel wiring exposed and the wheel seemingly detached from its mounting point, only hanging on with wires....

https://www.motortrend.com/news/tesl...lls-off-again/

Old Posted Jan 31, 2023, 10:14 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Oops:

Tesla Owner Tweets at Elon Musk After Model Y "Steering Wheel Falls Off" While Driving
If accurate, this is at least the second time a Tesla steering wheel has disconnected in the past three years.
Justin Westbrook Writer Jan 30, 2023

In a post targeting Tesla CEO Elon Musk, Twitter user Prerak (@preneh24) posted photos and details of a "horrific" experience with his brand-new Tesla Model Y all-electric SUV: The steering wheel reportedly came off while the vehicle was in motion. This would be at least the second incident of a new Tesla's wheel falling off since 2020, when the same happened to a Tesla Model 3 sedan.

According to Prerak's post, they were driving their Tesla Model Y in traffic when the steering wheel came off in their hands. Luckily, Prerak was able to move the Model Y off to the side of the road without causing any further incident, where the vehicle was later towed away. Images posted show the steering wheel wiring exposed and the wheel seemingly detached from its mounting point, only hanging on with wires....

https://www.motortrend.com/news/tesl...lls-off-again/
Yikes. Installing a steering wheel is pretty straight forward. All it's held on by is one single nut attached to the end of the steering column. Pretty bad mistake if it was missing the nut. Or maybe it wasn't torqued to spec and gradually backed itself out. Either way, that's a huge error. The driver (and Tesla) got lucky there was no accident or injury.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2023, 10:20 PM
你的媽媽

Here's my personal wheel. As mentioned above, it's a very simple installation. Someone definitely dropped the ball there on the assembly line.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 4:08 PM
你的媽媽

Looks like Ford has had this issue in the past as well.

Quote:
Ford recalls 1.4 million cars because steering wheel can come off
by Chris Isidore

Ford is recalling 1.4 million vehicles because the steering wheels can become loose and even come off while driving.
The automaker says it is aware of two accidents and one injury that may have been caused by the problem.

The affected models are the Ford Fusion and the Lincoln MKZ, both from model years 2014-2018.

Ford said the problem is that a steering wheel bolt could come loose, which could cause the steering wheel to potentially detach.

The recall applies to every version of the Fusion:

--Fusion S
--Fusion SE
--Hybrid S
--Hybrid SE
--Hybrid Titanium
--Energi SE
--Energi Titanium
--Fusion Sport
--Fusion Platinum
--Fusion Hybrid Platinum
--Fusion Energi Platinum

The recall also applies to every version of the Lincoln MKZ:

--Lincoln MKZ Premier
--Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Premier
--Lincoln MKZ Black Label
https://money.cnn.com/2018/03/14/new...all/index.html

Old Posted Feb 4, 2023, 4:02 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Extreme cold weather Mustang Mach-E report

Temperature -27

100% charge at start of trip

Parked outside all day

Not plugged in

Heat and fan on full blast

Range estimator showing two thirds of maximum range in ideal summer conditions

So one third range loss in close to the most extreme temperatures we will see here

Old Posted Feb 4, 2023, 4:23 AM
recession proof

^Matt Watson of CarWow just did an excellent range test of the Mach E vs a Tesla, Mercedes and BMW: 70mph run up to Scotland. Your car fared the worst.
https://youtu.be/dtP4FQckU40

Old Posted Feb 4, 2023, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

Temperature -27

Parked outside all day

Not plugged in

So one third range loss in close to the most extreme temperatures we will see here
Practically speaking, has this had any effect on how you use your vehicle compared to your previous vehicles?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2023, 4:59 PM

Quote:

Temperature -27

Parked outside all day

Not plugged in

Cars aren't impacted by Wind Chill. Only by absolute temperatures. And there's a lot of Canada that sees more than -25°C regularly. Though to be fair for the 90% of Canadians who live within 200 km of the US border, the current state of tech is good enough. Even in Edmonton, regular daytime temps below -20°C probably add up to about 2-3 weeks worth max. Maybe if you live in Yellowknife (-31°C right now) this might not cut it. But then again, if you live in Yellowknife, you probably aren't taking long roadtrips in the winter anyway.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2023, 10:21 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Practically speaking, has this had any effect on how you use your vehicle compared to your previous vehicles?
No change at all so far.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2023, 4:33 AM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Ford Mustang Mach-E has a mile of wires it doesn’t need. That’s a big deal
Chris Isidore
Updated 10:43 AM EST, Sat February 4, 2023

Ford showed this week that it’s not going to be as easy for traditional automakers to catch Tesla in the race to build the better electric vehicle, despite what Tesla’s doubters think.

Ford CEO Jim Farley was rather blunt about the problems that Ford experienced as it rolled out its hot EV models, the Mustang Mach-E and the F-150 Lightning pickup. While both vehicles have a long list of waiting customers, Farley admitted that Ford encountered numerous problems with their production.

“We didn’t know that our wiring harness for Mach-E was 1.6 kilometers longer than it needed to be. We didn’t know it’s 70 pounds heavier and that that’s [cost an extra] $300 a battery,” he said on a call with investors Thursday. “We didn’t know that we underinvested in braking technology to save on the battery size.”

Farley said these and other cost problems meant that Ford “left about $2 billion of profit on the table.”

It’s a sign that those who predicted that Tesla would soon lose its advantage due to increased competition in EV offerings from the established automakers were getting ahead of themselves.

Those automakers have the natural advantage of deep pockets, a large network of factories and sales channels, and more than century’s worth of experience designing, building and selling cars. But that doesn’t mean they can jump into making an EV like it’s just an update on a gas-powered car or truck they’ve been making for decades.

“Tesla is sitting at the top of the EV mountain that every other automaker is trying to climb,” said Dan Ives, tech analyst with Wedbush Securities. “It’s easier said than done.”

Not all the problems Ford reported are related to its attempt to shift to a line-up of EVs rather than traditional internal combustion engines.

As Farley conceded on the call, “Ford has been the #1 in recalls in the US for the last 2 years. Clearly, that’s not acceptable.”
https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/04/busin...sla/index.html

Old Posted Feb 5, 2023, 4:37 AM

Quote:
No change at all so far.
Very good, sir! Appreciate that you are sharing your experience with us. There will come a day when all of us (who drive personal vehicles) will be making the transition, so I for one will benefit from your information.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 6:48 PM

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 9:13 PM
你的媽媽

Looks like of the ones with verified data, the MME and ID4 suffer the most drop in range at -30% each. And the best battery performance comes from Tesla (no surprise there) at -15% to -19%.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 1:18 AM

Not great news from VinFast:

VinFast Lets Go Staff, Merges North American Operations
by Matthew Guy
February 7th, 2023

Building on yesterday’s report from Chris about hiccups in VinFast delivery, we bring news that the fledgling automaker is laying off numerous employees whilst also folding Canadian operations into its American business. Its chief financial officer also apparently flew the coop.

According to multiple reports, VinFast is carrying out some downsizing, cutting about 80 jobs. Rodney Haynes, former CFO of VinFast U.S., is said to have left amid this restructuring, while the CEO of what used to be VinFast Canada has also resigned.

We say ‘used to be’, because the company has chosen to consolidate its American and Canadian business management ops into a single unit, now called VinFast North America. It’ll all be headquartered in Los Angeles. The previous CEO of American operations has been punted to deputy, while Van Anh Nguyen moves into place as CEO of the new combined entity. That person will also maintain their role as head of manufacturing.....

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/ca...tions-44499196

Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Not great news from VinFast:
Quite predictable. I've never even seen one on the road.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 5:53 PM

Interesting stats on winter range. On the weekend my girls were both in a hockey tournament while Ottawa temperatures dipped well below -30.

Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor Extended Range

-Started day at 90% (as I always do)
-Jump started my wife's Explorer ST since lift gate was ajar all night and battery died (yes you can jump with a Tesla)
-Proceeded to drive over 250km all over town for the tournament, leaving me with 5% remaining.
-Thus, can confirm this approx 20% loss of range compared to normal summer driving.

Also, useful to note that the car is over 3 year old now and batteries holding up well!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 6:02 PM
你的媽媽

I don't really have much confidence in VinFast making it after reading this article. Very interesting read. I'll just include some snippets.

Quote:
The VinFast VF8 Is Simply Not Ready for America
The electric-car startup brought me to its Vietnam headquarters to drive its first EV meant for the U.S. market. It was the most bizarre experience of my life.
By Kevin Williams Published December 14, 2022

I was in Vietnam to sample the automotive fruits of VinFast; the fast-moving automotive startup had just begun selling electric cars in its home country and was already promising to bring them to the United States. I definitely learned something about VinFast, but it wasn’t exactly what the company wanted me to see.

VinFast came onto the car scene in 2017. Its first products were rebodied vehicles from major automakers, styled by Pininfarina and intended to be sold both in Vietnam and the United States. The VinFast Lux A 2.0 was based on the BMW 530i, the VinFast Lux SA 2.0 was a modified BMW X5, and the subcompact VinFast Fadil was a restyled Chevy Spark. The limited-run 500-unit President SUV was a Lux SA with a General Motors V8 under the hood in place of the BMW engine.

In January 2022, VinFast announced its intention to end production of internal-combustion vehicles and shift to a full EV lineup. Gone would be the BMW- and GM-based designs, replaced with electric vehicles developed from the ground up by VinFast. The company poached top-tier engineering talent, including former GM employees who had worked on the revolutionary Ultium EV platform.

On September 18, I joined a group of nearly a hundred journalists, influencers, hopeful VinFast customers, and employees on a chartered flight from San Francisco to Vietnam. Our group crossed the international date line and deplaned near Ha Long Bay, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. From the airport, we took a bus and a boat to VinPearl Ha Long Bay, a resort on a private island owned by Vingroup.

To me, it seemed like Vingroup would rather us be entertained only by what it could control. The company wanted us to experience its outrageous, larger-than-life projects. It threw us huge parties on private islands, complete with entertainment from big-name Vietnamese pop stars, and wanted us to be impressed by its barren yet grandiose VinUniversity. I couldn’t help but recall Tran Van Hoang, a Vietnamese automotive YouTuber who was visited by police and sued by VinFast after expressing complaints about his Lux A2.0 sedan.

Every brand works to control the narrative around its products. It’s why every major automaker engages in the same basic practice: flying journalists to a scenic location to wine and dine them and let them drive brand-new cars on a vetted route to write about the experience. But the way VinFast, and in turn Vingroup, handled that task felt maybe a little threatening. I didn’t fly halfway around the world for a university tour. VinFast had spent hours entertaining us — including a wordless pantomime stage performance at dinner one night, featuring a projection-mapped castle claimed to have cost millions of dollars but identical to the tech used in student art projects at colleges everywhere — and we still hadn’t driven a single vehicle. It’s not that I didn’t appreciate the hospitality. I just wanted to learn whether the cars were any good.

If my initial drive of a pre-production VinFast VF8 the next day is anything to go by, the answer is: No, the cars are not very good at all.

The VinFast VF8 is a compact-ish midsize EV crossover, with 350 horsepower in Eco trim and 402 HP in the Plus trim. Even with the generally higher curb weight inherent to an electric vehicle, 350 horsepower should be enough to scoot the VF8 around with authority. Yet throughout my time behind the wheel, the VF8 felt like it had barely half that output. I drove every pre-production vehicle VinFast brought to the event; all of them felt slow, and their performance was inconsistent.

The ride and handling were even worse. As VinFast bussed us from place to place, I noticed that company reps would always follow us in a few VF8s. Much of Vietnam’s highway system is brand-new and very smooth, but the VF8s were constantly bounding up and down, with poor suspension control that was visible from the bus. I shooed it away, figuring that the VinFast team was driving development mules that didn’t represent the near-final cars I was under the impression we would be driving.

Nope. Driving one VF8 after another around VinFast’s private island test course, my experience was exactly what I had seen as the VinFast folks tailed us around north Vietnam. Even on the island resort’s glass-smooth roads, the VF8 bucked and bounced as if the car was on cut springs. The steering was dead and nonlinear, paired with tires that gave up grip at the slightest bit of cornering verve, though I’m not sure how much of a dynamic impression one can get on a closed course on a private resort island.

Annoyed, but still striving to be open-minded, I approached a VinFast engineering representative. Company spokespeople had claimed the VF8s we drove were Vietnamese production spec; I wanted to know what changes were in store for the US market. Yet again, the spokesperson reiterated that the VF8 was just a few software tweaks away from a US-market debut — implying that the chassis calibration was finalized.

To say I was frustrated would have been the biggest understatement east of the prime meridian. The brand had made such a big damn show — chartering a 20-hour flight, flexing on us with an almost haughty display of this automotive startup and its parent company’s reach into nearly every aspect of Vietnamese life. VinFast reps had bragged about beating their own internal timelines in getting these cars ready for mass production, and judging by the smiles on their faces, it seems like they were all genuinely psyched to show off a product they believed was ready to go toe-to-toe with established automakers. Instead, I’d been flown 8,000 miles to tootle around in a car that clearly wasn’t anywhere near done. I was pissed that the company had wasted my time.

I decided to drive the other VF8 variant, the Plus model, said to have 402 horsepower. It, too, was dog-slow with crap ride quality. Not satisfied with my initial answers, I marched over to the gaggle of VinFast employees, trying to get to the bottom of the car’s poor performance. Eventually, I was led to a main engineer, someone who could answer substantial technical questions about the vehicle.

“So, this car has anywhere from 350 to 402 horsepower, right?” I asked the VinFast engineer. “Why is it so slow?”

“You mean peak horsepower,” he corrected me.

“What?”

“Peak horsepower. The VF8 only has 350 to 402 horsepower when the battery is above 80 percent charge,” the engineer said.

“You do realize that you’ll be the only manufacturer that limits power this severely, right?” I shot back. None of our test cars were fully charged, some of them hovering at 50 percent battery. Even then, that’s not an excuse. I have never driven an EV that reduced power output this dramatically at a routine state of charge. It didn’t seem right.

The VinFast engineers insisted I drive one specific prototype unit they claimed had the “latest and greatest” suspension and software updates. It, too, was pretty shit. The same bouncy, unfinished ride, the same dead steering, and it was only marginally quicker than the others. There were serious power delivery problems, too.

I had gotten tired of the dog and pony show, the over-the-top opulence, and the company’s inability to answer a question. Still, I tried to be diplomatic. I pulled aside VinFast’s U.S. public relations representative. “Baby, you gotta tell ‘em,” I said. “This car ain’t ready.” He reiterated the line I had heard so many times before: That the VF8s we were driving were pre-production models, and I should keep that in mind as I scrutinized their performance.

I’m not naive. I understand a PR rep’s job is to tell journalists what the company wants them to hear. But that’s not enough. In its current state, at the price VinFast wants to charge, the VF8 is a terrible deal. It feels like an underdeveloped, unfinished product that, quite frankly, would be an embarrassment in any market.

Tesla, Rivian, and Lucid have had their struggles making cars, but at the end of the day their products are very good. By comparison, VinFast’s efforts feel almost like early Hyundai and Kia; cheap, unrefined, underdeveloped, and not competitive. It took decades for the Korean automakers to shake that reputation; I don’t know if VinFast, or any brand that hopes to break into the mainstream, can afford to come out of the gate in 2022 without a home run.

As of this writing, VinFast says the first 999 US-market VF8s are on a boat that left Vietnam on November 25, en route to the United States. But according to a VinFast representative, the cars have not yet received CARB EO certification, which is required before vehicles can be delivered to customers in California or any other state that follows California’s vehicle regulations. Currently, VinFast has six store locations in the U.S., all in California. The VinFast representative also reiterated the brand’s goal to begin delivering VF8s to US customers “at the end of this year,” and confirmed that the VF9 is still undergoing federal tests and approvals required in the US market.

Whatever the deal, all I know is I flew more than 8,000 miles, learned nothing, and drove a car that was not ready for the United States. Good luck to VinFast, I guess.
https://jalopnik.com/vinfast-vf8-ele...u-s-1849892217

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada