HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jul 20, 2021, 4:53 PM

From Sunday the 18th

Old Posted Jul 25, 2021, 1:58 PM

July 19

Old Posted Jul 25, 2021, 3:35 PM

For all the griping about blocking views of the C&C Building, 300N Michigan Ave seems to have mostly left the view corridors intact. The crown of C&C remains visible from the River and Pioneer Court.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2021, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post
For all the griping about blocking views of the C&C Building, 300N Michigan Ave seems to have mostly left the view corridors intact. The crown of C&C remains visible from the River and Pioneer Court.
But not down Michigan Avenue--a very significant "view corridor" IMHO

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 9:23 PM

Sunday 7/25

I created these full-height, constructed perspective shots by stitching together 6 separate frames. It was the only way to fit the full structure in the frame AND then correct the perspective for nice and parallel vertical lines with breathing room on the bottom & sides.

In the top middle frame, the full building is fully in frame, but my lens was at max shift and I *still* had to pan my camera up a few degrees to get the top of the structure and enough sky. Had I perspective controlled that one frame, it would have been extremely narrow. Adding the other frames allowed me ample overage to increase the field of view of the composite image.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexxed82 View Post

I created these full-height, constructed perspective shots by stitching together 6 separate frames. It was the only way to fit the full structure in the frame AND then correct the perspective for nice and parallel vertical lines with breathing room on the bottom & sides.

In the top middle frame, the full building is fully in frame, but my lens was at max shift and I *still* had to pan my camera up a few degrees to get the top of the structure and enough sky. Had I perspective controlled that one frame, it would have been extremely narrow. Adding the other frames allowed me ample overage to increase the field of view of the composite image.
Thanks for the behind the scenes details on how you made this. More than meets the eye and a lot more than just 'point and shoot.' Sounds complicated and time consuming and thank you for sharing. Always a good day when you post on the forum!

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivernorthlurker View Post
Thanks for the behind the scenes details on how you made this. More than meets the eye and a lot more than just 'point and shoot.' Sounds complicated and time consuming and thank you for sharing. Always a good day when you post on the forum!
You're welcome. Yeah, sometimes too much work/thought goes into some of my shots, but the technical stuff is fun to experiment with when it means better images. Either way I'm learning something But this specific technique is great for shooting tall buildings in tight quarters. Architecture photography is a lot easier when you can get farther away from a building and/or it's shorter.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2021, 8:42 PM

^^^ Thank you Nick for the method behind the art.

July 29

r

Aug 2

r

Old Posted Aug 7, 2021, 9:47 PM
The City

Mich Ave between the river and Randolph St is really coming onto its own with all of these new towers and rehabs.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Aug 9, 2021, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
It appears my wishes have come true and they've fixed that horrendous salmon paint job on the hotel to the north. Woo!
The gray is kind of overdone and cold though, especially for a building with pseudo classical references. I'm ready to get back to more warm neutrals, that don't necessarily have to be RN beige or salmon.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 5:28 AM

^I don't know what the best color is but I know this is a 1000% improvement from what was there before. That building used to irritate me to no end. Now its completely forgettable and I'm fine with that.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 2:12 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lurker View Post
^I don't know what the best color is but I know this is a 1000% improvement from what was there before. That building used to irritate me to no end. Now its completely forgettable and I'm fine with that.
exactly.

i don't care if cool gray is overdone or not, whatever helps that particular trainwreck slink further into anonymity is a step in the right direction IMO.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 4:57 PM

^As bad of a building that is I can't seem to stop looking at it. . . it's an odd duck for sure, but I'm kind of glad it's there - it makes extreme use of the buildings footprint which I think anyone would find interesting even if the architectural style is abysmal. . .

. . .

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 5:37 PM

^^^ Yeah, IMO this one falls into the "kitsch POMO" category which is what POMO is supposed to be about. Plus that penthouse has to be dope. Didn't mind the pink that much myself, but then again I'm all for splashes of color on the cityscape.

Reddit.com/r/REbubble

Old Posted Aug 11, 2021, 6:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago View Post
^As bad of a building that is I can't seem to stop looking at it. . . it's an odd duck for sure, but I'm kind of glad it's there - it makes extreme use of the buildings footprint which I think anyone would find interesting even if the architectural style is abysmal. . .

. . .
Agree. It is flush against its neighbors and the lot borders going straight up utilizing all available vertical space.

300 would have been better if it had held to this concept. Still the horizontal bands are working well imo and its going to look fine.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2021, 4:20 PM

Captured this shot of 300 N Michigan under construction from the brown line this morning.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2021, 4:24 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Fantastic shot!

Old Posted Aug 11, 2021, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolchak View Post
Agree. It is flush against its neighbors and the lot borders going straight up utilizing all available vertical space.

300 would have been better if it had held to this concept. Still the horizontal bands are working well imo and its going to look fine.
Looking at the renderings on https://bklarchitecture.com/projects/300-n-michigan/, the white bands do not continue past the common space at ~ the 15th floor - at least on the east face. They do on the south and north faces according to the rendering. It looks like the balconies on the north and south faces are the 'break point' for strips/no strips. I can't find any renderings of the west face (the most visible). If it it mirrors the east face it's just gonna be glass with no strips :/ But maybe it wraps on three sides and just not the entrance side of the building. We'll find out soon enough.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2021, 12:45 AM

Can’t wait to see site I poking from this view

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
Captured this shot of 300 N Michigan under construction from the brown line this morning.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2021, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelacey45 View Post
Can’t wait to see site I poking from this view
Wouldn't it be completely obscured by St. Regis?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive