HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
This is why reconciliation is important.
I would go further and say reconciliation is essential for the future of the city. Winnipeg is home to the largest Indigenous community in Canada. Their prosperity is Winnipeg's prosperity. That's why I am so encouraged to see the projects taken on by various Indigenous communities across the city, including a number of high-profile ones in the downtown.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by post_man View Post
Yes, however, one cannot ignore the fact that there has been a generations-long systemic effort to make and keep specifically the indigenous people of Manitoba at a disadvantage, socially and economically.
Yes, exactly and I would argue much more then a generation, more like a century +. Spending time assigning blame to one person or group of people just creates a new place to attack. All resources should be directed at solutions. Blame and attacks just foster more division.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 2:56 PM

These crime posts are super wacky for a few reasons...

- You cannot police or incarcerate yourself out of what are basically social problems. This has worked nowhere (and large parts of the US since the 90s have tried). As mentioned above, the tough-on-crime breakup of gangs usually leads to more violence and chaos. This isn't to say gang members ought to be left alone, only to say that locking people up won't fundamentally change a thing. People need enfranchisement, community, and better prospects for their lives, or they will find it in gangs.

- The violent crime index in Winnipeg is actually lower than it has been on average over the last 20 years. There was a slight uptick in 2016 and things have been pretty steady since then. The perception of crime has certainly increased, which can be explained by what the WPS chooses to issue press releases about and what gets covered in the news. Unfortunately, it means that by making people think we are in the midst of a crime wave WPS salaries can continue to balloon without any political blowback.

- What we have is a homeless crisis, and market rate apartments in the downtown will also not alleviate this. Multiple levels of government need to step up and fund a Housing First program, the only strategy that has been empirically demonstrated to reduce homelessness.

Last edited by xubiqtss; Oct 18, 2022 at 4:46 PM.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 6:50 PM

Maybe not the conversation for this thread. Maybe the mayoral thread.

But I haven't seen anything on why reallocating police budgets, to social programs are better than just throwing money at the Police because their union says so. The Police union is there to get the most money for their members. Not to actually provide a better service or move funding to where it's needed. That's not what unions do.

Have any of the mayoral candidates proposed a plan on this front beyond "defund police". Which is terrible framing and not the intent at all.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post

But I haven't seen anything on why reallocating police budgets, to social programs are better than just throwing money at the Police because their union says so. The Police union is there to get the most money for their members. Not to actually provide a better service or move funding to where it's needed. That's not what unions do.

Have any of the mayoral candidates proposed a plan on this front beyond "defund police". Which is terrible framing and not the intent at all.
I've never seen any metrics that show reallocating police funding to social programs resulting in safer communities. Not to say it would not be the case, I would just like to see a proof of concept before getting behind the idea.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 9:16 PM

Throwing dollars at Police, with no noticeable change in crime, has done nothing.

Policing is reactive. Need to be proactive. That is a trend through all walks of life. If you're reacting to situations, you are too late.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 2:22 AM

Remind whats going on in the parking lot at the Best Western downtown. On Donald. The sites fenced off and theres steel in there.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Remind whats going on in the parking lot at the Best Western downtown. On Donald. The sites fenced off and theres steel in there.
Adding a few levels to the hotel.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
I've never seen any metrics that show reallocating police funding to social programs resulting in safer communities. Not to say it would not be the case, I would just like to see a proof of concept before getting behind the idea.
Google it then. Social scientists have studied this stuff to death for decades, there are enough papers on it to fill the floodway. Addictions programs, work training / work placement, education, youth outreach, after school programs... they've all been studied extensively and they all work. Literally just google it.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 3:04 PM

Quote:

Bokhari has essentially pledged to give 10% of the current police budget to social groups. The police budget would essentially be converted to a police/social crime prevention budget.

Also of interest to this board she's pledged to remove the portage and main barriers. Not something I think any other candidate has commented on? Not that she has a realistic chance of winning but a lot of her policy promises seem to align with the urbanism tilt of many members of this forum.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
Adding a few levels to the hotel.
Oh right. Thanks.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Bokhari has essentially pledged to give 10% of the current police budget to social groups. The police budget would essentially be converted to a police/social crime prevention budget.

Also of interest to this board she's pledged to remove the portage and main barriers. Not something I think any other candidate has commented on? Not that she has a realistic chance of winning but a lot of her policy promises seem to align with the urbanism tilt of many members of this forum.
The Liberal candidate. Go figure.

IIRC Glen Murray is also on the remove barricades team. But again I haven't been paying enough attention to the specifics. Since I already decided.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2022, 4:28 PM
surely you agree with me

I've heard the redevelopment of that heritage building on Portage East that had the fire a few years ago is proceeding well....residential.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2022, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
I've heard the redevelopment of that heritage building on Portage East that had the fire a few years ago is proceeding well....residential.
Wow, that is unexpected good news. Any word on who is behind it now?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2022, 4:42 PM
the first stamp is free

^ same developer as Carriage Works at 216 Princess.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2022, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Ok, well better than empty.
The Keewayden/Crowley block.138 Portage Ave East built in 1909.
The hotel plan would have added 4 more floors plus a new entrance, expanded main floor.
The Hyatt Place Hotel plan would have been best but rather have this than nothing.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2022, 4:47 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ same developer as Carriage Works at 216 Princess.
hopefully they don't murder that building too.....

Old Posted Oct 21, 2022, 4:48 PM
the first stamp is free

^ I am fairly certain that hotel "plan" was an investment scam all along, and would never have materialized.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2022, 4:48 PM
surely you agree with me

agreed....residential is not exactly 'better than nothing' solution.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2022, 4:50 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
hopefully they don't murder that building too.....
Pretty sure its a different contractor this time. Plus it's a cast-in-place concrete bunker - not nearly as fragile.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan