HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 9:57 PM

Speaking of Union Station, all of RRC's language programs are moving to the new building in the Exchange. With Environment Canada's drastic reduction in space, the museum, and RRC leaving... it's going to be quite empty in there.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Speaking of Union Station, all of RRC's language programs are moving to the new building in the Exchange. With Environment Canada's drastic reduction in space, the museum, and RRC leaving... it's going to be quite empty in there.
Intentional for these development plans perhaps?

Old Posted Nov 13, 2021, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
Intentional for these development plans perhaps?
My guess is that all these moves are preparation for the Union Station BRT plans.

This could be a good thing for the rail museum. It was kind of hidden away in the Union Station. This is a chance for them to partner with other organizations and organize a push to create a higher profile space downtown.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Nov 13, 2021, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
4 storey, 45 units

A very urban building which this area sorely needs. Changes were made at request of planning dept:

"Active ground floor uses, including commercial retail units glazed with transparent glass along the Notre Dame and Tecumseh Street frontages, have been provided at the request of the Urban Planning Division."

Old Posted Nov 13, 2021, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_slicker View Post
A very urban building which this area sorely needs. Changes were made at request of planning dept:

"Active ground floor uses, including commercial retail units glazed with transparent glass along the Notre Dame and Tecumseh Street frontages, have been provided at the request of the Urban Planning Division."
Seems like this means that planning isn’t going to allow single use builds in areas that really need the density/long term investment moving forward. Hopefully this is the trend. Hope they are including shutters in the build because smashed streetfront glass is prevalent everywhere in the central areas now. Really happy to see this build though, lots of long term upside around there.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2021, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
Anyone hear anything about the proposed residential development at 258 Burnell St, aka the old Canada Bread Bakery and Stables?
6 storey mixed use with commercial units facing Burnell and parking hidden behind and underground. Approved last spring, haven't yet applied for permits.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 2:44 PM

Regarding Union Station. The fact the museum is moving out is very good news for the RT plans. Step 1 if you will. I'm not up to speed on the spaces taken up by EC and RRC Polytech (get used to that one).

Hopefully the City is actually moving ahead with the downtown elevated portion in the near future. IMO that part is locked in, in terms of planning.

The rest of the outdoor site, specifically the outdoor parking lots, can be redeveloped. More specifically, the lot at York. The smaller lot to the south is going to be the RT area.

I wonder if hte museum can work with Prairie Dog to get something pulled together. PDC was/is looking for commercial opportunities. They looked at rail car storage and cleaning operations in the recent past. Developing a bunch of new track on their site. Quite expensive though for such a small operation.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Regarding Union Station. The fact the museum is moving out is very good news for the RT plans. Step 1 if you will.

Hopefully the City is actually moving ahead with the downtown elevated portion in the near future. IMO that part is locked in, in terms of planning.

The rest of the outdoor site, specifically the outdoor parking lots, can be redeveloped. More specifically, the lot at York. The smaller lot to the south is going to be the RT area.
That is what I am hoping this means as well. It seems like the Union Station conversion is the last big "mega-project" portion of the BRT to be completed (the piece that will require the most new infrastructure spending). Much of the rest of the BRT plan seems to be redirecting existing roads, etc.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
To me this is a good sign that talks for RT through Union Station are progressing because that was contingent on VIA not renewing the lease with the museum and having it relocated.
From the articles I've read it has nothing to do with RT. Via hasn't even really kicked them out. There is construction work needed to be done on some of the tracks and it would pose safety issues with keeping the museum operational. They say they were anticipating having to move eventually because of RT but this is far sooner.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Regarding Union Station. The fact the museum is moving out is very good news for the RT plans. Step 1 if you will. I'm not up to speed on the spaces taken up by EC and RRC Polytech (get used to that one).

I wonder if hte museum can work with Prairie Dog to get something pulled together. PDC was/is looking for commercial opportunities. They looked at rail car storage and cleaning operations in the recent past. Developing a bunch of new track on their site. Quite expensive though for such a small operation.
From what I've heard, the Prairie Dog Central's parent organization the Vintage Locomotive Society has gotten pretty good at providing services to rail operators to sustain their historical preservation activities. Good on them for pulling that off.

It would seem like a logical fit to have the railway museum work with the VLS, but they have somewhat different mandates... one wants to run a museum, the other one runs trains. The trouble with combining the two is that the VLS facilities are way out past the edge of town. So it's not like VLS could really be that helpful the same way that they could if their facilities were located in a convenient spot.

As for EC and RRC's spaces in Union Station, they were in the station building itself, which is basically an old office building. CN and in later years VIA occupied it until the early 90s. It's probably not the most appealing building due to its age so finding new occupants could be a little tough.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 5:51 PM

Portage Place & The Bay

Hey all! First time posting, but I've been keeping an eye on this forum for a while. Good place to keep up to date with things.

I'm just going to do a little brain dump and I'd love to hear what people's opinions are:

Portage Place - with the Starlight deal looking like it's dead, I think this is a great time to go in another direction. I've been thinking of Pike Place Market in Seattle, which is such a popular and fun place to visit, yet it still has that gritty downtown kind of feel to it - I think this is what we need for Portage Place. Forget the polished shopping mall vibe, and leave that for the Polo Park redevelopment.

Let's definitely take advantage of those footings and get some residential towers, but create a space on the main and second level for entrepreneurial people living in the area to open businesses! Have a market where you can get traditional food and goods from Indigenous, Asian, and African people who live nearby. Bring in something like St. Norbert Farmer's Market. There's so many interesting things that could be done.

The Forks North Portage already has a mandate to improve this area, so give them the resources to buy the mall and make this happen! Look at what The Forks was 40 years ago - take Portage Place in a similar direction. For that matter, tie The Bay into the project. Branch off a separate organization if necessary and call it The Bay Portage Place Development Corporation.

Anyway, that's my rant for today!

Last edited by soewnz; Nov 15, 2021 at 6:15 PM.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
From the articles I've read it has nothing to do with RT. Via hasn't even really kicked them out. There is construction work needed to be done on some of the tracks and it would pose safety issues with keeping the museum operational. They say they were anticipating having to move eventually because of RT but this is far sooner.
Is this construction related to the "structural issues" that were found in the building in 2019? Free Press had an article in the summer of 2019 about the museum closing while some repairs were being made to allow the museum to reopen.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 7:19 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

prolly fire code related

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 7:22 PM

I go to the railway museum somewhat regularly as I'm a bit of a train buff and my son loves checking it out. It is a bit of a building code/fire code nightmare.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 8:01 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I go to the railway museum somewhat regularly as I'm a bit of a train buff and my son loves checking it out. It is a bit of a building code/fire code nightmare.
its amazing the city never cracked down till now though.

why not move it to the old vulcan iron works on southerland?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 8:56 AM

I just can't get over what a cheap city Winnipeg is.

Like build a LRT already. It's only been planned for the last 40 years. Stop wasting time and money. Get er done.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 1:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post

Like build a LRT already. It's only been planned for the last 40 years. Stop wasting time and money. Get er done.
Let’s get a subway while we’re at it too.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soewnz View Post
Hey all! First time posting, but I've been keeping an eye on this forum for a while. Good place to keep up to date with things.

I'm just going to do a little brain dump and I'd love to hear what people's opinions are:

Portage Place - with the Starlight deal looking like it's dead, I think this is a great time to go in another direction. I've been thinking of Pike Place Market in Seattle, which is such a popular and fun place to visit, yet it still has that gritty downtown kind of feel to it - I think this is what we need for Portage Place. Forget the polished shopping mall vibe, and leave that for the Polo Park redevelopment.

Let's definitely take advantage of those footings and get some residential towers, but create a space on the main and second level for entrepreneurial people living in the area to open businesses! Have a market where you can get traditional food and goods from Indigenous, Asian, and African people who live nearby. Bring in something like St. Norbert Farmer's Market. There's so many interesting things that could be done.

The Forks North Portage already has a mandate to improve this area, so give them the resources to buy the mall and make this happen! Look at what The Forks was 40 years ago - take Portage Place in a similar direction. For that matter, tie The Bay into the project. Branch off a separate organization if necessary and call it The Bay Portage Place Development Corporation.

Anyway, that's my rant for today!

Welcome to the board!

These aren't bad ideas. I don't know what kind of resources FNP has these days, being balls deep in railside and all, but there's merit in the idea of the city taking charge of the redevelopment instead of leaving it entirely up to private interests to try to make a buck off.

I like the idea of creator spaces. The city's art scene has lost something since the days when the Exchange was full of cheap space for artists. I'd like to see that for the second floor of the Bay. And a market on the ground floor; farmer's/food market in half and market space for arts and artisanal products in the other.

There shouldn't be this tension in DT Winnipeg between what the market wants (low rents) and what the people in charge think it should be (bougie or nothing at all).

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Let’s get a subway while we’re at it too.
There's 76 of them. Take your choice.

https://restaurants.subway.com/canada/mb/winnipeg

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post

If anyone still has the stomach to re-chew this old bone, there's a rapid transit thread.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan