HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspionNoir View Post
What was the last prominent downtown design competition? I don’t know about the 60s and 70s, but the one I can definitely remember was for the Manitoba Legislative, and the winner was awarded $100,000 if I remember it right (according to inflation that’s around 1 million today)
The biggest one in the Skyscraperpage era was the one for CMHR. Fun fact: Saucier + Perotte was a finalist (or was it just shortlist? I can't remember) in that one too.

There was a P&M design competition around 2003 or so. I guess Manitoba Hydro put out a call for proposals although I suppose it was a bunch of pitches for different sites and not really a design competition to see different takes on the same site. Same with MTS.

I'm sure there have been others that I'm forgetting.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 7:35 PM

I update page one with all the proposals. I really wouldn't be disappointed with any of them! In order i would go:

1. Dialog
2. Saucier+Perrotte
3. DTAH
4. DAOUST LESTAGE
5. 1x1

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 8:27 PM
the first stamp is free

Even though it isn't my favorite - I hope 1x1 is given some bonus points for local content.

It will ensure all the design is kept "in-house" so to speak, and most if not all of the tax payer money stays at home.

EDIT: that paint by numbers 1x1 render just doesn't do it justice. The more in depth details make it much more appealing.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 9:02 PM
BANNED

It'll be interesting to see how many businesses survive the hacked in bike lanes in the exchange and market areas, huge detriment to the businesses for no good reason!

and more:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...qGo7OfeJyamDNs

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 11:07 PM

To me Dialog is CLEARLY the number one choice, because people would flow through the whole site north-south, and it has CRUs or at least windows all along Princess & King.

I think Daoust would be terrible as it places absolutely know uses or attention to Princess & King. Flowing people N-S makes the most sense, so you don't cut off people from going north.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
It'll be interesting to see how many businesses survive the hacked in bike lanes in the exchange and market areas, huge detriment to the businesses for no good reason!

and more:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...qGo7OfeJyamDNs
There were no parking signs all over the place for a few days – I don't even feel the least bit bad. Impossible to miss unless you're actively not paying attention. If you don't look at the area around your car in Winnipeg in winter when parking on the street... sucks to be you.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 11:19 PM

Hmm.. am I the only one a little mystified by the jury? Seems a little small, and not sure why there'd be the CEO of CancerCare instead of someone in architecture or planning (not in government).

Quote:
The jury includes Mathieson, John Kiernan (City of Winnipeg director of planning, property and development), Annitta Stenning (president and CEO of the CancerCare Manitoba Foundation) and Alan Tate (head of the department of landscape architecture at the University of Manitoba).

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 11:38 PM
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Hmm.. am I the only one a little mystified by the jury? Seems a little small, and not sure why there'd be the CEO of CancerCare instead of someone in architecture or planning (not in government).
Yeah I’m amused by the CancerCare part, probably involved. A small group of jury will probably make sure this one gets through quickly without noise from too many parties, and the rest of them are the right people for this selection

As WFP’s information is not that detailed it’s hard to judge CanerCare’s role here

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Yeah I’m amused by the CancerCare part, probably involved. A small group of jury will probably make sure this one gets through quickly without noise from too many parties, and the rest of them are the right people for this selection

As WFP’s information is not that detailed it’s hard to judge CanerCare’s role here
CanerCare has no role, i would assume her role is to represent the community at large who happens to be the CEO of CancerCare. Just like how the board of directors for CentureVenture has appointments of community members not necessarily connected to the architectural design planning or real estate community.

My question is with CentureVenture acting as the developer for this portion of the land, where do they intend on securing the funding to proceed with this development?
The northern portion of the site is intended to be sold off to private developers.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 12:27 AM
surely you agree with me

Anita Stenning was the vice-president of planning and development, manager of business liaison, the first CEO of Centre Venture and the CAO of the city of Winnipeg.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 12:30 AM

Anita Stenning? She was chief administrative officer for the city of Winnipeg a few years back and knows all the issues. I have a lot of time for her and think she should make a strong contribution.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 12:42 AM
Winnipeg

About the “public opinion” side of things I was first worried that there would be public opinion involved. Much of my concern come from what happened with P&M. But as the poll is only abo choosing a proposal out of five, the effects won’t be as bad as that of P&M issues, right?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 12:49 AM

Quote:
About the “public opinion” side of things I was first worried that there would be public opinion involved. Much of my concern come from what happened with P&M. But as the poll is only abo choosing a proposal out of five, the effects won’t be as bad as that of P&M issues, right?
This is how P&M should have been handled, community consultation, design competition, public vote on the best proposal (with no option to vote no).

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 12:52 AM

The Saucier + Perotte design is wonderful. Beautiful architecture. Classy, modern, elegant design. The idea to mirror the greenspace of old market square with the new project is simply brilliant. The flow it creates through the block is impressive and the juxtaposition of the smooth giant silver ball with the sharp metal cube stage is fantastic. I hope it wins.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Anita Stenning was the vice-president of planning and development, manager of business liaison, the first CEO of Centre Venture and the CAO of the city of Winnipeg.
How do they plan on funding this?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 2:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Was not aware, that's great. Thanks for the info.

Quote:
The public opinion part happened last year. There were community consultation events and pop-ups in the Exchange to gather public opinion all summer. This is the way to do it – get open opinions first, then give a few options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
How do they plan on funding this?
It's currently city land. The northern 2/3 will be sold off to developers who will have to follow this framework.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 4:27 AM

Quote:
What was the last prominent downtown design competition? I don’t know about the 60s and 70s, but the one I can definitely remember was for the Manitoba Legislative, and the winner was awarded $100,000 if I remember it right (according to inflation that’s around 1 million today)
Ladies and gentlemen, we've found the oldest forumer among us

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 4:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
This is how P&M should have been handled, community consultation, design competition, public vote on the best proposal (with no option to vote no).
Agreed. P&M was handled very very poorly, from the consultants study that the city meddled with to the complete lack of public consultation of why this is a good idea and how the city could reassure peoples concerns.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 5:33 AM
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
Ladies and gentlemen, we've found the oldest forumer among us
Lol

Oh actually not really I got that from some source. It’d be a miracle if I lived that long...

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 7:11 AM

CentreVenture inches closer to Public Safety Building redevelopment, will choose design this month
City's old police station 1 of 3 major downtown revitalization projects underway
CBC News · Posted: Dec 06, 2018 7:09 PM

Winnipeg's downtown development agency is one step closer to replacing the city's old police headquarters with a mixed-use development.

On Dec. 14, CentreVenture will choose a design for the redevelopment of the Public Safety Building, the six-storey Princess Street structure that served as the headquarters of the Winnipeg Police Service from 1965 until 2016.

The brutalist building is part of an ensemble of downtown modernist structures that also includes the adjacent Civic Centre Parkade — shuttered in 2012 — as well as City Hall and the Centennial Concert Hall.

City council voted in 2016 to declare the city block encompassing the Public Safety Building and the parkade surplus to the city's needs. The city intends to sell most of the block to a private developer but must reserve the southern portion, south of what used to be Market Avenue, for some form of public use.

That's because of a caveat placed on the land in 1875, when the family of Winnipeg's first postmaster donated the site to the city under the condition it serve a public use.

CentreVenture will act as developer

After two years of public consultations, CentreVenture determined that use will be a mixed-use development encompassing a multi-storey affordable-housing building, a ground-floor space for local arts groups, retail spaces for local artisans and a public plaza.

CentreVenture will act as the developer of this parcel, president and CEO Angela Mathieson said Thursday in an interview, pegging the project in the $30-million range.

She said a business plan will be presented to city council in 2019, with the intention of construction starting in 2020.

The redevelopment of the Public Safety Building is one of three large-scale downtown revitalization projects underway in Winnipeg.

Construction on the second phase of True North Square has started on the former Carlton Inn site north of RBC Convention Centre. Ground testing is underway to prepare for the future Sutton Place hotel and an adjoining residential tower.

The project is on hold while the provincial government reviews tax-increment financing, Forks CEO Paul Jordan said in November. The Forks intends to use new property-tax revenue from the development to pay for road improvements and public spaces at the development.

The Forks also must move slowly to ensure any Indigenous artifacts found on the site are dealt with to the satisfaction of of provincial historic-resources officials, vice-president Sara Stasiuk said in an interview.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ment-1.4936051

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 2:07 PM
What could go wrong?

......delete
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan