HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 4:55 PM

Almost forgot here are the land uses and the respective areas:

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 4:56 PM
keep the good times going

I actually am quite hopeful about this development.

Ik it is going at a snail's pace, but judging from their plans, I think they have a really good shot at doing this well.

I am sure most of you have skimmed over the campus masterplan, but it has some really interesting conceptual plans.

https://umanitoba.ca/facilities/site...ter%20Plan.pdf

the concept plans are on pages: 54-61 in the PDF. Page 73 has a building height diagram.

They go into a lot of detail on the planning as well.

They are definitely trying to avoid suburban-style, at least in the south woods portion (smart park still looks like crap lol). I also read that the new parking guidelines will seek to hide or remove any surface parking going forward.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The potential density is enticing but that street layout is pure 1980s Linden Woods.
I think with the main streets that are shown in the zoning, there are more grid like streets between buildings. At least that's what is shown in the planning document linked by Peg. Square grid, instead of cul-de-sacs.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 3:11 PM

Approved by Assiniboia Committee unanimously with no opposition from residents.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 3:14 PM

Excellent news. Maybe there's hope for this city yet.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
Approved by Assiniboia Committee unanimously with no opposition from residents.

Is it ok to drool after seeing this?

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 3:30 PM

Could be a huge improvement for the U of M. But the maps look to me to present something very different compared to the street-level renderings. The maps convey the impression of something like Smartpark.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 3:32 PM

Finally some progress can't wait for it to finally start

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 3:47 PM

Interesting - the street renderings and the general scale is very promising. It'd be so nice if the UofM actually had a walkable area with shops and restaurants. It looks like they at least have some understanding of 'complete communities' and 'high streets' which their previous attempts at development certainly haven't.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Could be a huge improvement for the U of M. But the maps look to me to present something very different compared to the street-level renderings. The maps convey the impression of something like Smartpark.
I agree. All of the buildings have lawns on the map view. There are no lawns on the street level view. Smart Park residential phase.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 4:30 PM

Is it just me, or is this the kind of development that the Forks would/should aspire to? And/Or the land west of the tracks facing Main St? (I'm not suggesting instead of the development at UofM).

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepish View Post
Is it just me, or is this the kind of development that the Forks would/should aspire to? And/Or the land west of the tracks facing Main St? (I'm not suggesting instead of the development at UofM).
Uofm and forks development is like a snail vs a sloth.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2022, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
I'll take it as a win. Thought out, future-oriented. Not like every other new housing development where money is the only driver and will put the city into further infrastructure debt.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2022, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
I'll take it as a win. Thought out, future-oriented. Not like every other new housing development where money is the only driver and will put the city into further infrastructure debt.
One minor point of sadness is that if there is ever a proper walkable, urban feeling campus community with all the necessary services, it will likely come with a cost to some existing urban neighbourhoods.

There are lots of UM students who have chosen to live in urban neighbourhoods (WB, OV, Exchange) and commute to campus by bus. If there are properly urban neighbourhoods near campus, the UM student populations in those areas will likely shrink. A further move of Winnipeg's centre of gravity away from the centre and toward the outskirts (and the south in particular).

Not to be too doom and gloom. On balance, it's definitely a good thing for the city and the climate. But it'll intensify some other revitalization challenges for existing neighbourhoods.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2022, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepish View Post

Totally agree. Every city deserves walkable, lively streets like this. It would be a shame if Winnipeg only developed it in the bubble of a University campus. Great news for the campus though and will hopefully have a ripple effect that eventually reaches more areas. Whether that happens before 2050 though remains to be seen lol

Old Posted Jul 2, 2022, 2:48 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
ha ha...good analogy.

The Forks delays have been of their own making. Once they get the green light, all the developers will be in place and ready to go. It was one of the reasons many small buildings was chosen over a few big ones. That kind of development is easier to do quickly in Winnipeg.

The U of M plan is 50 years for a reason. Big buildings take a long time to build out in winnipeg.

Last edited by trueviking; Jul 2, 2022 at 5:55 AM.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2022, 2:52 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
totally agree....its just like Kapyong. The master plan shows big box buildings surrounded by parking but the eye level views are of vibrant streets and smaller urban buildings focused on the street.

The master plan will not create the urban condition they are presenting in the renderings. It will be smart park 2.0. Island buildings with big spaces in between. Not walkable at all.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2022, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
totally agree....its just like Kapyong. The master plan shows big box buildings surrounded by parking but the eye level views are of vibrant streets and smaller urban buildings focused on the street.

The master plan will not create the urban condition they are presenting in the renderings. It will be smart park 2.0. Island buildings with big spaces in between. Not walkable at all.
So why does it have to be that way? What are the practical reasons pushing the U of M to repeat a textbook example of how not to do a greenfield development that is sitting right at the other end of their campus?

I don't get the reason behind this sense of inevitability, as though Smartpark was the only conceivable development model the U of M could possibly follow.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2022, 4:35 PM

Am I looking at something different then everyone else? It’s literally podiums on a tower similar to the “Vancouverism” style that many places in the planet start to emulate which is a highrise on top of a 5-6 storey midrise podium. TV respectfully I think you’re misconstruing the massing of the master plan as if it were presented as a render when that’s clearly not the objective of that drawing.

Not only that but where are these parking lots y’all are seeing? I think people here are critically underestimating just how dense it is. Again this is on a scale of density that would fit in Chengdu or Manila never mind Winnipeg. Even the master plan shows a high concentration of building density throughout the whole site. I’m a lot more optimistic about this then the Kapyong Barracks development to say the least.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2022, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
Am I looking at something different then everyone else? It’s literally podiums on a tower similar to the “Vancouverism” style that many places in the planet start to emulate which is a highrise on top of a 5-6 storey midrise podium. TV respectfully I think you’re misconstruing the massing of the master plan as if it were presented as a render when that’s clearly not the objective of that drawing.

Not only that but where are these parking lots y’all are seeing? I think people here are critically underestimating just how dense it is. Again this is on a scale of density that would fit in Chengdu or Manila never mind Winnipeg. Even the master plan shows a high concentration of building density throughout the whole site. I’m a lot more optimistic about this then the Kapyong Barracks development to say the least.
I think people here are severely overestimating how much space there is between Sifton Rd. and Markham. 6 major multi-use residential high-rises will feel very dense, even if they leave room for some trees and lawn in front of one or two of the buildings, as shown in the bird's eye rendering.

and as much as the U of M deserves some criticism for Smart Park being a lame industrial park, the actual U of M campus actually is pretty walkable. Campus just suffers because Winnipeg is such a commuter city that much like Downtown Winnipeg, all the stores, restaurants and services on campus close at like 5PM when the entire campus population gets in their cars and drives back home.

This development adding 2,000 to 3,000 units actually within walking distance of campus will do so much good for campus life. Unlike student developments being built on Pembina, this development will actually be within realistic walking distance of the school.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan