HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 4:06 PM

I'd rather see McDermot get built up and fixed up, maybe with a couple cafes or services too, before focus shifts to Notre Dame. It's not like walking down Notre Dame is ever going to be pleasant.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 4:54 PM

Don't get me wrong, it's not like I was expecting Notre Dame to get built up in the next 5 years. But seeing that the Manitoba Clinic is the first new HSC-affiliated building to go up along Notre Dame since probably the power plant in the 70s, it's basically setting the stage for what is to come.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I took my kid to the doctor this morning at the Manitoba Clinic and there was a sign in the pediatrician's office that they will be moving to the new building effective November 17. To my eyes it looks like there is still some work to do on the outside, but I guess they must be closer than it appears at first glance.

I noticed they are putting a large Manitoba Clinic sign at the top of the building which will make it easy to identify, although it didn't look like the sign will be lit. The new building isn't what I'd consider a stunner, but I have to admit that it has impressive presence when you're on Notre Dame.
Are all the offices moving into the new building? Are they demoing the old one? My kids go to Dr Hanna at the Mb Clinic, I wonder if her office is moving next door. Assuming it is.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 5:52 PM

^ Not sure about whether all the pediatricians (not to mention other departments) are moving on the same day or what, if your kids have appointments in the month of November it would be prudent to call ahead.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brizzy82 View Post
Are all the offices moving into the new building? Are they demoing the old one? My kids go to Dr Hanna at the Mb Clinic, I wonder if her office is moving next door. Assuming it is.
It was supposed to get demolished and become an extension to CCMB.

But Pallister put an end to that.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 8:51 PM

If I had to put money on it, in the short term the old MB Clinic will likely get demoed once the move is completed and at least in the short term be turned into a surface parking lot. Basically it will go into the HSC campus land bank until there is a suitable project and funding to do something more with it.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
If I had to put money on it, in the short term the old MB Clinic will likely get demoed once the move is completed and at least in the short term be turned into a surface parking lot. Basically it will go into the HSC campus land bank until there is a suitable project and funding to do something more with it.
It's owned by Cancer Care, though, not HSC. Cancer Care is pretty overcrowded in their current building, so I wouldn't be surprised if they use the building for clinic space until their long term plan comes to fruition.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 1:58 PM
What could go wrong?

CancerCare will still happen.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 2:53 PM

Speaking of Pallister and pardon my ignorance. Do we have any indication that Pallisters cuts are working? Or is it still early days for him? At first blush it would seem canceling tons of projects and slashing thousands of jobs would save the people money. But it's not so simple.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Speaking of Pallister and pardon my ignorance. Do we have any indication that Pallisters cuts are working? Or is it still early days for him? At first blush it would seem canceling tons of projects and slashing thousands of jobs would save the people money. But it's not so simple.
My only experience is knowing an ER nurse. She was offered a new gig. They do these weird "point" hours. Like, .7 meaning you work .7 of full time. So she was approached to take a position that is actually a lower "point" but moves her from nights to days and due to seniority will end up working more hours.

Havent heard any stories locally yet. I live in the south end. I have elderly parents. So ive been to Victoria Hsp and HSC numerous times. If they can keep non-emergency and non-urgent out, it will help exponentially.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 3:50 PM

^Assuming you're asking about results of the cuts in general BJ, no – there's no evidence anything is working. Way more evidence that huge cuts in the past had negative long term effects. There's no rhyme, reason, or strategy to most of the cuts.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 4:36 PM

Under the previous MB PC government there was a report done on nursing. Before the report it was tough of a new nursing grad to get a job locally and there wasn't a lot of talk of there being a nursing shortage. Not sure exactly what but the report basically changed things up and suddenly there was a nursing shortage in the province and the Manitoba Nurses Union (MNU) developed Hoffa-like grip over the healthcare system.

It is still far too early to tell what the impact of all the changes underway will be but it will be interesting to see what impact closing Winnipeg's second busiest ER will have.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 6:31 PM

Yeah. Unfortunately a lot of the cuts just seem to be straight budget or funding cuts, without focusing on the real problem of all the bloat added to provincial gov and crown corps under the NDP, for example the well-known waste that goes on at Hydro, and the unions that have a death grip on any real change.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 7:39 PM

http://www.mediafire.com/file/4c5t3q...124_131318.mp4

wow i suck at adding vid links.

Was up on the 7th floor of MB clinic, wow such a great view. I'd kill to sit up there all day!

sorry for the shaking, i zoomed in a bit. need someone with real gear to go up to the 10th one day

Old Posted May 25, 2019, 4:25 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
Would it kill anyone to put the entrance onto the street, or at least be a little less brutal to Notre Dame?
Yes!

Too late now.

I go here every few weeks to see my eye doctor. If I take the 29 Sherbrook bus, I have to walk from the corner, to the very busy parking area that leads to the entrance.

Just the one entrance.

Just bad design. How did no one mention this during the approval stage?

And on returning, I have to walk a fair bit to the Rehab bldg. to catch the 29 bus, which has usually just left that stop and have to wait 15-20 mins. inside or the unheated shelter for the next one.

Those elevators sure get a lot of traffic. Would have been nice to get another lift installed.

On a good note, the last time I visited the Clinic someone called me on my cell phone. I wanted some privacy in talking, so I meandered down the hallway, to discover a mini-cafe had just opened a month previous. Nice decor.

Old Posted May 25, 2019, 4:36 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Fifth storey being constructed. Future home of the Pediatricians offices.

Old Posted May 25, 2019, 6:35 PM
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post

Fifth storey being constructed. Future home of the Pediatricians offices.
Lol the whole building is finished a long time ago

Old Posted May 25, 2019, 8:02 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspionNoir View Post
Lol the whole building is finished a long time ago
That shot had to be from 2016 or 2017!

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
Yes!

Too late now.

I go here every few weeks to see my eye doctor. If I take the 29 Sherbrook bus, I have to walk from the corner, to the very busy parking area that leads to the entrance.

Just the one entrance.

Just bad design. How did no one mention this during the approval stage?

And on returning, I have to walk a fair bit to the Rehab bldg. to catch the 29 bus, which has usually just left that stop and have to wait 15-20 mins. inside or the unheated shelter for the next one.

Those elevators sure get a lot of traffic. Would have been nice to get another lift installed.

On a good note, the last time I visited the Clinic someone called me on my cell phone. I wanted some privacy in talking, so I meandered down the hallway, to discover a mini-cafe had just opened a month previous. Nice decor.
This has to be one of the most poorly conceived, recently constructed buildings I've set foot in. Sure, the old Manitoba Clinic building had too few and slow elevators, but at least there were some doctors offices on the 2nd and 3rd floor you could walk up to. The new clinic has conveniently added 4 levels of parking above the main floor, so you're not going to get a lot of upwards stairwell traffic to relieve the pressure of the, again, too slow and few elevators in the new building. I can't wait until it fills up - some floors seem like they're only about half full right now.

Also, why did they build all that parking if they're not letting people park in there?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 4:34 AM

Old Manitoba Clinic bites the dust

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4P8Y2WHNsX/

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan