HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 3:20 AM

The new bus lanes have been a success slowing down cars and backing up car traffic, but I'm not sure yet that they speed up buses at all. The problems that slowed buses are still there (cars turning right at congested intersections) and now there are additional bus delays caused by near and far side stop issues with no way for the trailing bus to get around because the adjacent lanes are jammed. They're going to have to tweak some things with the stop locations.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 4:43 PM

The bus lane on Fig made a huge difference for the silver line and others that traveled it so I see the appeal, hope they are willing to make quick tweaks as needed. I am pretty happy to see all of the new bike and bus lane investment in downtown though - finally taking transportation beyond single car seriously. Maybe the streetcar will start construction soon so we can ruin all traffic with massive road closures for years while it is built?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 6:42 PM
Ascension

They should think about eliminating street side parking on Grand Ave and add protected bus/bike lanes if they haven't already.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 12:54 AM

Any skyscrapers or tower cranes adorned with Christmas lights in DTLA? It seems that Los Angeles Center Studios does it early this time around.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJXN View Post
They should think about eliminating street side parking on Grand Ave and add protected bus/bike lanes if they haven't already.
There is a dedicated bike lane on grand on the left side all the way thru dtla. I use it daily and it's great. Then there's parking between the bike lane and traffic so it's a nice buffer. The bus only lane is on the right side

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 3:42 AM

Finally: DTLA car wash redevelopment clears City Council
The slim glass tower would rise at Olympic and Figueroa

Steven Sharp
Urbanize LA
December 1, 2021

Seven years after it was first reported, a proposal to redevelop Downtown's most out-of-place car wash with a high-rise building has finally cleared the Los Angeles City Council.

In a unanimous consent calendar vote, the Council approved a master conditional use permit and a transfer of floor area rights agreement for Olympic tower, which would replace the Downtown Car Wash located
at the northwest corner of Olympic Boulevard and Figueroa Street - directly north of L.A. Live.

The project, which was submitted to the City of Los Angeles for review in December 2015 by an entity affiliated with the Neman family, calls for the construction of roughly:

*65,000 square feet of retail and restaurant space
*33,500 square feet of office space
*10,800 square feet of hotel meeting space
*373 hotel rooms
*374 condominiums; and
*838 parking stalls in six below-grade levels and an eight-story podium.

Monrovia-based architecture firm Nardi Associates is designing the tower, which would stand 742 feet tall, and in incorporate three amenity decks on the 13th, 56th, and 57th floors.

"The project has been conceived (along Olympic Boulevard) as a metaphorical 'bent salutation' to the Entertainment area (LA Live, Staples Center, Nokia Center, etc.), while creating South facing landscaped elevated
open atrium at the Condominium amenities and Hotel levels," reads a description posted to the Nardi Associates website. "The 58-story iconic building is designed as a monumental urban tree (vertical gardens integrated
to a kaleidoscope like landmark) where real vegetation is combined with digitized landscape and graphic art images, growing along its structural grid contained within its double glass surfaces."

The approved project will require a $23.2-million payment to acquire excess floor area rights from the City of Los Angeles, half of which is to be made as a cash payment to the Council District 14 public benefits trust fund.

Council approval also came after UNITE HERE Local 11, a labor union representing hospitality workers, withdrew an appeal of the tower after striking a deal with its developers.

An environmental study conducted for the project indicated that the tower would be built over a 34-month period, although a groundbreaking date has not been announced.

Olympic Tower is one of a handful of large mixed-use projects in the works near L.A. Live, joining a proposed three-tower complex a short distances west on Olympic Boulevard and a proposed expansion of the
J.W. Marriott hotel complex and L.A. Convention Center.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 3:56 AM
你的媽媽

Wow! What a design. The signature tower DTLA has been dying for ever since the Library Tower. And the podium is well disguised. I probably wouldn’t have known until I read the details.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 4:03 AM

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 6:38 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

Wow, shocked that this thing is still alive, but I'll believe it's the real deal when I see it rising. Still, I like how the design has evolved and hope they can pull it off.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 8:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorboffin View Post
Good news bad news.

There is finally an update for 845 Olive Street, sadly, the building has been reduced from 29 stories, and 350 feet, to 20 stories, and 227 feet.

The good news is that despite this reduction in height, the building's unit count has risen from 205 apartments to 329, with an additional 36 for very low-income residents. Even better, the number of parking units has dropped from 268 to a phenomenal 14.

As a whole, I'd call this a win, albeit a slightly disappointing one.

https://planning.lacity.org/.../532f...6a9.../esubmit

View from Grand and 9th

View from Olive and 9th

The Original design for reference.

I don't adore the new one, it's a bit too bulky, but it is a fantastic compliment to Gensler's other proposal at 3rd and Spring (https://urbanize.city/la/post/downto...tower-proposal).
L.A. (and San Diego where I now live) need hundreds more buildings like this to solve the housing crisis. More affordable micro-unit buildings are the answer. Not just downtown, but near all transit stations. Some can be taller, but mid rise like this one is good too. Great infill on smaller lots. This is a terrific design.

++++

How is Brookfield doing? Must be close to halfway up by now, over 30 floors? Any new pics?

Last edited by CaliNative; Dec 2, 2021 at 10:26 AM.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 3:39 PM
El Guátqui

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
L.A. (and San Diego where I now live) need hundreds more buildings like this to solve the housing crisis.
I want to see thousands of these.

I want them covering the LA Basin and scattered all the way out here in the Inland Empire. I want them lining the Metro and Metrolink lines, in all the little old downtowns, in the brownfield sites, and replacing dead malls. Preferably before I die.

And here's hoping the Olympic Tower happens before the Olympics. That'd be pretty cool.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 5:13 PM
Ascension

If the car wash tower is still alive then maybe there is hope for my Zen tower?

(Yeah I know but still...lol)

The car wash tower actually looks interesting. It's still amazing that there is still such a huge amount of space in the square of Figueroa, Olympic, James Wood, and the 110. Georgia Street would make a nice pedestrian walkway connecting LA Live and Metropolis.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 5:49 PM

Quote:

(Yeah I know but still...lol)

The car wash tower actually looks interesting. It's still amazing that there is still such a huge amount of space in the square of Figueroa, Olympic, James Wood, and the 110. Georgia Street would make a nice pedestrian walkway connecting LA Live and Metropolis.
I totally agree with you…kinda weird. Lol

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 6:33 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

That would be AMAZING if Zen Tower came back from the dead. That one is so old, I bet most forumers here don't remember it. I think it was originally proposed in 2006 or 2007.
Quote:
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 6:37 PM

Lol the actual pictures for the 845 S Olive development didn't make it into his post, only the old design. Here's the new design, not as slick but I think very appropriate/practical for the space, especially considering the adjacent open parking lots that will get replaced eventually.

https://urbanize.city/la/post/releva...ial-tower-dtla

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 8:02 PM
DENNAB

Nice to see another serious 700+ proposal active, now if only even half of the ones in the pipeline get built, that'd be amazing. Given LA's track record I remain only really cautiously optimistic.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 8:12 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

So materials will make or break this one. Based on the renderings, it appears that they are going for a corten steel look overall from a colorway perspective. What isn't clear is whether that will be corten panels over the concrete, or if it will be cast-in-place or pre-cast concrete panels that are 'stained' to have the corten color (kind of a copper color). Will be interesting to see how they work with the different materials (metal for the fins and the balconies, concrete or stucco for the facade) and finishes. This could end up looking very nice, or really cheap.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
L.A. (and San Diego where I now live) need hundreds more buildings like this to solve the housing crisis.
A faster train between LA and San Diego would be nice too, but I digress...

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Nice to see another serious 700+ proposal active, now if only even half of the ones in the pipeline get built, that'd be amazing. Given LA's track record I remain only really cautiously optimistic.
Cautious optimism seems reasonable, and it's free. At least we get to occasionally consider the possibility of proposals like this coming to fruition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
So materials will make or break this one. Based on the renderings, it appears that they are going for a corten steel look overall from a colorway perspective. What isn't clear is whether that will be corten panels over the concrete, or if it will be cast-in-place or pre-cast concrete panels that are 'stained' to have the corten color (kind of a copper color). Will be interesting to see how they work with the different materials (metal for the fins and the balconies, concrete or stucco for the facade) and finishes. This could end up looking very nice, or really cheap.
If there's one thing I've noticed since moving to LA and reading the SSP LA development thread, it's that there's a whole slew of haters who will drop by to vociferously denounce this building regardless of the materials.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 9:42 PM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
If it's corten steel (which is what it looks like), then it could be a nice looker of a building.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations