HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
A++, Mappy! What would such an endeavor cost? No matter. You should really try to get it into the hands of Alan Greenberger, the Deputy Mayor for Economic Development. Or whoever replaces him when Nutter is gone (hopefully in a similarly development-minded administration).
The Vine Greenway costs are probably really hard to guess at, and Im not an expert at such things anyway, but:

21st-18th: You would think that PennDot should pay for all the caps there. With city coordinating the park space on top of those with any parkway plan they might have and trying to get the Franklin Institute to expand into the new space made availble next to it (perhaps arts/science grants/donors could fund that cap?)

That leaves 8 sections to cap from from 18th-10th. Four of them would be street level plazas or parks with improved pedestrian corssings/access, and ramps to/from the elevated trails. the other four sections would simply be large planters with trees/bushes/flowers/etc with hidden exhast vents traffic below, and estentially a wide pedestrian bridge over it, and through the thick greenery.

Those Four street level plazas could have themes (10/11th St Chinatown, 16/17th Mormon sponsored, etc) and could be tied to adjact development properties. Especially if the Land Bank can leverage any city owned property, i.e free or super-cheap land if you cap and build openspace on your block. Or allow for variances or fast-tracked approvals if the commit to cap funding.

The planter caps should probably be paid for by PennDot, the city, and federal grants, or other sources, since the elevated trail is esentially bridge infrastructure that should be regularly inspected and maintaned by the city.

The City Line idea (8th/market to Zoo) should probably just be a SEPTA endevor since they own the ridge line, city line, BSL (need a transfer station), and runs lines on the Penn Railroad Bridge already. Ill bet this would be very cheap compared to most subway projects. Its only a 3.5 miles line with more than 3 miles that is (or has been) used for rail already... Maybe under $100million, but the 4-6 new stations might cost that much or more. (very rough guess). Dedicating a line all the way to 30th Street Station would a just require traffic/legistics and would increase the viability even more with tourist arriving by rail.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 7:23 PM

Long time lurker here, but had to comment about how amazing the renderings on the facebook page are! This would be truly amazing for Philadelphia, yet most likely extremely expensive and will take at least a decade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
I hope they expand the plans re 676. There's a whole facebook group on this:

https://www.facebook.com/cap676

I'd love to see more done about I-95 too. Proposals for a Boston style deep dive for I-95 have been met with staunch resistance. And it would be a fortune. But maybe one day....

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mappy View Post
The Vine Greenway costs are probably really hard to guess at, and Im not an expert at such things anyway, but:

21st-18th: You would think that PennDot should pay for all the caps there. With city coordinating the park space on top of those with any parkway plan they might have and trying to get the Franklin Institute to expand into the new space made availble next to it (perhaps arts/science grants/donors could fund that cap?)

That leaves 8 sections to cap from from 18th-10th. Four of them would be street level plazas or parks with improved pedestrian corssings/access, and ramps to/from the elevated trails. the other four sections would simply be large planters with trees/bushes/flowers/etc with hidden exhast vents traffic below, and estentially a wide pedestrian bridge over it, and through the thick greenery.

Those Four street level plazas could have themes (10/11th St Chinatown, 16/17th Mormon sponsored, etc) and could be tied to adjact development properties. Especially if the Land Bank can leverage any city owned property, i.e free or super-cheap land if you cap and build openspace on your block. Or allow for variances or fast-tracked approvals if the commit to cap funding.

The planter caps should probably be paid for by PennDot, the city, and federal grants, or other sources, since the elevated trail is esentially bridge infrastructure that should be regularly inspected and maintaned by the city.

The City Line idea (8th/market to Zoo) should probably just be a SEPTA endevor since they own the ridge line, city line, BSL (need a transfer station), and runs lines on the Penn Railroad Bridge already. Ill bet this would be very cheap compared to most subway projects. Its only a 3.5 miles line with more than 3 miles that is (or has been) used for rail already... Maybe under $100million, but the 4-6 new stations might cost that much or more. (very rough guess). Dedicating a line all the way to 30th Street Station would a just require traffic/legistics and would increase the viability even more with tourist arriving by rail.
Good stuff. Needs a lot of coordination between different public and private entities and a strong captain steering the boat.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 3:17 PM

More renderings of the Hudson Hotel

http://philly.curbed.com/archives/20...petes.php#more

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 5:07 PM

Penn's new Perelman Center for Political Science and Economics

Penn recently updated its "Penn Connects" web site to include current site photos and renderings of the planned Perelman Center for Political Science and Economics, which will combine a complete renovation of the old Art Deco bank and office building at 36th and Walnut with a significant new addition running north along 36th Street all the way to Sansom, more than doubling the square footage of the current building:

http://www.pennconnects.upenn.edu/fi...ics_images.php

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
Penn recently updated its "Penn Connects" web site to include current site photos and renderings of the planned Perelman Center for Political Science and Economics, which will combine a complete renovation of the old Art Deco bank and office building at 36th and Walnut with a significant new addition running north along 36th Street all the way to Sansom, more than doubling the square footage of the current building:

http://www.pennconnects.upenn.edu/fi...ics_images.php
Nice find. Very cool!

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
Nice find. Very cool!
Thanks. And thanks for posting those photos! I should have done that, myself.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 7:56 PM

They're moving the econ and poli sci departments?

Thank god. I was a double major and the two buildings those majors were in back in my day were horrible.

I mean, just burn McNeil to the ground. Raising goats on the land would be better than keeping that thing.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 8:32 PM

Cool video with a bunch of time lapses. Some great shots of the skyline

http://www.movoto.com/blog/opinions/...-time-lapse-2/

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingDutchman View Post
They're moving the econ and poli sci departments?

Thank god. I was a double major and the two buildings those majors were in back in my day were horrible.

I mean, just burn McNeil to the ground. Raising goats on the land would be better than keeping that thing.
Agreed! I also was an econ major, and always felt like I was entering a corporate office somewhere when visiting McNeil. The 60s and 70s were definitely the nadir of architecture on Penn's campus, in my opinion.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 10:14 PM

Applebee's 1417 Locust is for sale apparently, no price listed.

http://www.phillymag.com/property/20...cial-property/

Didn't know the building once had a strip club for "well-heeled men."

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
Agreed! I also was an econ major, and always felt like I was entering a corporate office somewhere when visiting McNeil. The 60s and 70s were definitely the nadir of architecture on Penn's campus, in my opinion.
You hardly even need to add "on Penn's campus" to that statement!

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 10:29 PM

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 10:43 PM

Rittenhouse Square

AQ Rittenhouse

22nd & Walnut - apartments and townhomes - soil samples

24th & Manning - multi-million dollar mansion

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 10:47 PM

Logan Square & Franklintown/Museum District

1924 Arch (1900 Arch apartment expansion) - tower crane base installed

Dalian on Fairmount

Mormon Temple

22nd and Race - new townhomes

21st and Race - new townhomes

19th and Spring Garden - new mansion

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 10:57 PM

Old City

3rd & Market apartments

3rd & Arch townhomes

3rd & Bread townhomes (Bread Street Estates)

2nd & Vine townhomes

Letitia & New Streets - new 5 floor apartment development

Front & Race - new townhome

Front & Quarry - new townhomes

Front & Quarry - new apartment building

2nd & Church - new townhomes

412 Luxe - Front & Callowhill

Front & Walnut (111 Walnut) - townhomes

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Funny how you'll be able to eat cheesecake and then go upstairs to work it off (or try to).

Cheers,
G.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 1:09 AM

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 12:11 PM

wow, great updates summers! You've been busy!

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 1:34 PM

wow that is a lot of construction!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development