HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:15 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
That's because "cases" are EXTREMELY dependent on how much a given state is testing.

covid deaths give a much clearer picture of the extent of an outbreak in a given area.

Alabama doesn't test. It has the 4th LOWEST testing rate in the nation.

Yet it has is the 10th HIGHEST covid death rate in the nation.

If you don't test your population, you're not gonna find much covid.

but if the people are still dying at higher than average rates, then you've got a lot of covid going around,

it just ain't being discovered at the same rate it is in other places that are all-in on testing.
testing notwithstanding, it's completely possible that more contagious variants simply haven't made it there yet. with some luck, they might be able to beat them by vaccinating quickly enough.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Covid: Younger Brazilians fall ill as cases explode

Concern is growing in Brazil about the rising number of young people who are critically ill in hospital with Covid-19.

Research suggests more than half of patients being treated in intensive care last month were under 40 . . . .
https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-la...erica-56723439

Will we ever get past the idea that only old people get really sick with COVID?

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post

Has Brazil vaccinated their old yet? If so, this is not and should not be surprising. Of course, young people will make up a larger portion of those hospitalized if the old are vaccinated. This makes complete sense.

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
Has Brazil vaccinated their old yet? If so, this is not and should not be surprising. Of course, young people will make up a larger portion of those hospitalized if the old are vaccinated. This makes complete sense.
It's significant because Brazil is in the midst of its worst spike in deaths of the entire pandemic.

Old Posted Today, 12:01 AM
The City

Covid is....Dude.....like never going to end

Old Posted Today, 12:03 AM
The City

Quote:

No, because the old are overwhelmingly more likely to get very ill and die of Covid. That will always be the case.

The question is whether more of them were vaccinated in Brazil. I don’t know because that article doesn’t reveal that info

Old Posted Today, 12:21 AM

Quote:

No one has ever said this.

What many of us are saying is that the risk from Covid is many orders of magnitude higher for older people, that younger people rarely have life-threatening illness, and that the risk to young people in itself does not justify lockdowns or any of these restrictions, only the risk to older people. All of this (barring the last point which is inherently subjective) has been well established fact since at last May 2020 and borne out by mounds of statistical data.

As you know I am of the view that governments, even if they couldn’t legally make different rules for older people, should have had clear and strong messaging to the effect that if you are over 70, you should continue to stay at home, avoid social contact, and avoid close contact with family even as things opened up. If this had been done and somewhat adhered to, then everywhere could have been like Florida and gone back to some degree of normalcy by June of last year.

As for your article, there are over 200 million people in Brazil and the population skews younger than the US, let alone Europe, so of course the raw numbers of young people with “severe” Covid will sound like a big number. That doesn’t mean the risk justifies the disruption to life. I risk my health or even life every day I go snowboarding than I do going out to bars during Covid.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Last edited by 10023; Today at 1:51 AM.

Old Posted Today, 1:39 AM

Anyway lol. Per previous discussion. It is not Illinois allocating doses to Chicago. It is the Federal government. Chicago receives its supply of vaccine from the federal government allocated separately from the state. As such, the city operates on its own framework and timetable. One third of the doses administered in Chicago have gone to non residents. It is what it is, whatever. But that is why it is hard to get a shot here in Chicago - doses received based on population but administered based to a larger population.

Anyway managed to get my first dose today of Pfizer in Forest Park though Cook County!

Old Posted Today, 4:22 AM

25% of metro New Orleans has been fully vaccinated as of Monday. https://ladhh.maps.arcgis.com/apps/o...f9046c213331ed

Old Posted Today, 5:46 AM

In case you were wondering:

Quote:
Americans Have Too Much Toilet Paper. Finally, Sales Slow.
By Sharon Terlep
Updated April 13, 2021 6:43 pm ET

After a year in which toilet-tissue shortages left consumers scrambling for squares, sales are plummeting to below pre-pandemic levels.

Bath-tissue sales in January fell more than 4% from the same period a year earlier, before the spread of Covid-19 spurred Americans to load up on staples from toilet paper to sanitary wipes, according to figures from NielsenIQ. The decline, which comes even though legions of Americans continue to work and attend school from home, indicates last year’s stockpiling is starting to have an effect on sales . . . .
https://www.wsj.com/articles/america...=hp_lead_pos12

Old Posted Today, 6:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip View Post
Anyway lol. Per previous discussion. It is not Illinois allocating doses to Chicago. It is the Federal government. Chicago receives its supply of vaccine from the federal government allocated separately from the state. As such, the city operates on its own framework and timetable. One third of the doses administered in Chicago have gone to non residents. It is what it is, whatever. But that is why it is hard to get a shot here in Chicago - doses received based on population but administered based to a larger population.

Anyway managed to get my first dose today of Pfizer in Forest Park though Cook County!
According to this - https://data.cdc.gov/Vaccinations/Na...ions/sxbq-3sid - Chicago, Philadelphia and New York are unique as the only cities getting their own allocations from the feds. But if the state accepts their argument that they are vaccinating non-residents, there’s nothing to prevent it from giving them additional supplies. I guess special treatment has a downside. Too bad.

Anyway you went and stole your shot from outside the city and I bet you aren’t alone.

Last edited by Pedestrian; Today at 6:22 AM.

Old Posted Today, 6:26 AM

Quote:

The old "cytokine storm" problem. Active immune systens can be a problem. Just like the 1918 pandemic. Young people were not spared. Looks like covid variants are getting more troublesome for the young.

Old Posted Today, 6:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
No, because the old are overwhelmingly more likely to get very ill and die of Covid. That will always be the case.

The question is whether more of them were vaccinated in Brazil. I don’t know because that article doesn’t reveal that info
Apparently that is no longer true in Brazil for whatever reason. Before vaccination of large numbers the very sick young were swamped by the very sick old but now the old are protected and its obvious that the Brazilian variant, at least, can make even the young very sick if they refuse to act prudently.

Old Posted Today, 6:33 AM

Quote:
According to this - https://data.cdc.gov/Vaccinations/Na...ions/sxbq-3sid - Chicago, Philadelphia and New York are unique as the only cities getting their own allocations from the feds. But if the state accepts their argument that they are vaccinating non-residents, there’s nothing to prevent it from giving them additional supplies. I guess special treatment has a downside. Too bad.

Anyway you went and stole your shot from outside the city and I bet you aren’t alone.
Pedestrian, if you could choose between Pfizer or Moderna vaccines, which would you pick? Some data I've seen seem to show the moderna vaccine can have slightly tougher side effects, especially after the second dose. My elderly mom has to have the vaccine, and can pick either one. Both vaccines do seem to be effective. Any thoughts? When you had the vaccine, how bad were the side effects if any? Pfizer or Mod.,?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions