HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 6:41 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
Imagine what a disaster Covid would have been in the walled city of Kowloon.

Who knows, but considering the rest of Hong Kong - including it's many hyper-dense neighbourhoods - has come through this relatively unscathed, that may not necessarily have been the case.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 7:09 PM
Ex Houstonian

How would a postman even operate in KWC? How did people even have addresses since it was off the grid basically?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
How would a postman even operate in KWC? How did people even have addresses since it was off the grid basically?
I imagine some form of PO Boxes, at least traditionally?

NYC has a couple hundred thousand illegal housing units (mostly illegal basement accessory units in more suburban areas, and illegally chopped up apartments in more urban areas) and they can't be serviced by USPS but people are living there.

It's a huge problem for the Census, voting, and for delivery of city services. The city knows the units exist, but NIMBYs don't want to legalize the units. Usually the city lets it pass as long as there aren't blatant fire code issues.

It's so ingrained that when you buy a one-family home in far eastern Queens or much of Staten Island, it's usually mortgaged as a two-family unit, because they assume you'll rent out the basement, even if it hasn't already been converted.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 7:33 PM

I just wanted to say I love this thread. One of the best in SSP history!

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 7:33 PM
Ex Houstonian

^
Hmmm thats very interesting, does that mean I could get a cheap basement apartment in Queens?????

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 7:38 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I imagine some form of PO Boxes, at least traditionally?

NYC has a couple hundred thousand illegal housing units (mostly illegal basement accessory units in more suburban areas, and illegally chopped up apartments in more urban areas) and they can't be serviced by USPS but people are living there.

It's a huge problem for the Census, voting, and for delivery of city services. The city knows the units exist, but NIMBYs don't want to legalize the units. Usually the city lets it pass as long as there aren't blatant fire code issues.

It's so ingrained that when you buy a one-family home in far eastern Queens or much of Staten Island, it's usually mortgaged as a two-family unit, because they assume you'll rent out the basement, even if it hasn't already been converted.
I lived in China for many years. Often times, complexes don't have mailboxes for individual units. Mail and packages are often delivered by a guy who just calls the number on the package and says, "It's here, come meet me at the gate." This is why we always had to have our cell numbers written in as a part of our address. If we weren't able to get it, it was dropped off at a convenient store (with shelves for packages, etc.), a guard house, or something similar and we could go and pay a small amount for their trouble...usually 1 or 2 kuai. KWC obviously preceded the cell phone days, but I would imagine it was something similar as opposed to a formal post office box.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Hmmm thats very interesting, does that mean I could get a cheap basement apartment in Queens?????
Yes, absolutely. Go to any suburban part of Queens or SI and you'll see a second set of exterior doorways going to the basement.

Also, a lot of illegal units in public housing and rent controlled housing. I had a friend that lived for a few months in a Williamsburg housing project. A 80-year old granny was living alone in a four bedroom and she turned three of the bedrooms into rental units. I think at some point she moved to Jersey, and the whole apartment was turned into a hipster dorm.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
If we weren't able to get it, it was dropped off at a convenient store (with shelves for packages, etc.), a guard house, or something similar and we could go and pay a small amount for their trouble...usually 1 or 2 kuai. KWC obviously preceded the cell phone days, but I would imagine it was something similar as opposed to a formal post office box.
Yeah, this all makes sense. Informal delivery using private business.

A lot of corner stores here hold packages, sometimes for a small fee, if you live in a building without a doorman, or where packages can't be securely delivered.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 11:12 PM
if I sang out of tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
Imagine what a disaster Covid would have been in the walled city of Kowloon.
Asia's biggest slum, Dharavi in Mumbai -the world's densest place with 1 million people -managed to overcome C-19:

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2...ovid-lockdown/

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 12:17 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

How come Mumbai has no street view

Old Posted Mar 22, 2021, 1:07 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Old Posted May 31, 2021, 5:55 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Inside Kowloon Walled City: an artist offers a different perspective on life in the infamous enclave

Quote:
When Fiona Hawthorne first visited the Kowloon Walled City
, in 1984, she immediately fell under its spell. The intrepid 21-year-old aspiring artist from Northern Ireland was captivated by the tightly packed block of buildings that, at the time, was the most densely populated place on Earth.

“When I first stepped into the Walled City, I suddenly felt I was in a different world,” Hawthorne says by phone from her home in London. “I was struck by the shafts of sunlight that pierced through the small gaps between the buildings.

“There were dripping pipes and bundles of cables, people making dim sum and noodles, woks frying, women folding laundry, children and rats running around, and all mixed among factories making plastic toys, a barbers shop, a dentist … I knew I was somewhere extraordinary.” She also knew she had to draw it.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 8:40 PM
No grabbing my banana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Yes, absolutely. Go to any suburban part of Queens or SI and you'll see a second set of exterior doorways going to the basement.
The illegal apartments are in cellars, not basements. Basements have more than half of the story still above ground level, while cellars are the opposite. You can have legal living spaces (including full apartments) in basements, but not in cellars.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2021, 3:16 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Movie coming that is set in KWC, and is called Kowloon Walled City: https://www.todayonline.com/8days/sa...e-has-no-money

Old Posted Dec 17, 2021, 3:18 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2021, 6:57 PM
if I sang out of tune

Check it out, the Walled City rises again in Shenzhen.

05:00 and 07:00:

Video Link

Last edited by muppet; Jan 2, 2022 at 12:43 PM.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2021, 7:09 PM
if I sang out of tune

Another one, in Changsha (10:10) and (14:49) :

Video Link

What it's like inside:

16:15

Video Link

Last edited by muppet; Jan 2, 2022 at 12:46 PM.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 6:02 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I love the walledcitian vibe of those places. thanks for sharing.

Chunking Mansions (HK), in Kowloon, is known for having a distinctly walledcitian vibe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chungking_Mansions

wkikcommons

alzheimersdaughters

Chunking Mansions has an Ivory Factory!!

bidoun

wookie's pedia

More than once, Chunking Mansions has been compared to Mos Eisley. "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."
It appears as though the Chunking Mansions are being renovated. I will miss it when it is gone, just as I lament the destruction of the singular Kowloon Walled City.

Nearby, this place exudes wallcitymanship: https://www.google.com/maps/@22.2966...7i16384!8i8192

Last edited by MolsonExport; Jan 5, 2022 at 6:16 PM.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 8:49 PM

Chungking Mansion was a wonderful place to stay.

Kowloon Walled City is featured in the video game Shenmue II, if anyone is interested. One of the better game series at representing urban life.

Last edited by jigglysquishy; Jan 9, 2022 at 3:36 PM.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2022, 6:34 PM
The Vomit Bag.

anybody ever been to Chunking Mansions? It is at the top of my list of places to see when I can get over to Hong Kong.

The Complete Guide to Chungking Mansions

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions