HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 6:49 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
The truth is we don't know what mortality rates look like for for any situation other than American society operating with very reduced in person contact.
We don't know, or you don't know?

I just posted data from a real analysis of Infection Fatality Rates. Twice.

There is data, a lot of it. Is it complete? No. But we are a long way from where we were in April 2020. People who still act like it's April 2020 and want to keep everybody locked in their homes and kids out of school are the anti-sciencers of today.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
We don't know, or you don't know?

I just posted data from a real analysis of Infection Fatality Rates. Twice.

There is data, a lot of it. Is it complete? No. But we are a long way from where we were in April 2020. People who still act like it's April 2020 and want to keep everybody locked in their homes and kids out of school are the anti-sciencers of today.
We don't know. Just like we didn't know two months ago that there were variants circulating that are more lethal and more contagious than what we thought was the predominant variant in the United States.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 6:59 PM
The City

Quote:
We don't know. Just like we didn't know two months ago that there were variants circulating that are more lethal and more contagious than what we thought was the predominant variant in the United States.
You are speaking for yourself. No medical expert is surprised or thrown off by variants. They are and were expected. This is what infectious agents have done throughout history.

There are going to be more. There probably are some new mutations circulating already.

Once again, you can only speak for yourself and your own fears, and your own limitations (not meant insultingly). But science has made and is making progress, and is acquiring more information. You should trust in science, not in your fears of the unknown, in my opinion.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 7:08 PM

Quote:
You are speaking for yourself. No medical expert is surprised or thrown off by variants. They are and were expected. This is what infectious agents have done throughout history.

There are going to be more. There probably are some new mutations circulating already.

Once again, you can only speak for yourself and your own fears, and your own limitations (not meant insultingly). But science has made and is making progress, and is acquiring more information. You should trust in science, not in your fears of the unknown, in my opinion.
What does this even mean? It's like saying "no medical expert is surprised or thrown off" by a global pandemic caused by a virus they've never seen because they know viruses they haven't seen exist. Duh? That's literally why it's a pandemic. Because nobody has ever seen the virus before, thus no therapeutics or vaccines been developed for the virus until now.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 7:16 PM
The City

Quote:
What does this even mean? It's like saying "no medical expert is surprised or thrown off" by a global pandemic caused by a virus they've never seen because they know viruses they haven't seen exist. Duh? That's literally why it's a pandemic. Because nobody has ever seen the virus before, thus no therapeutics or vaccines been developed for the virus until now.
It meant....exactly what it meant....?

At the end of the day, I just think that people who have a solid grasp of the scientific process aren't going to be as suspicious or fearful as you are sounding. I've dealt with countless people who don't understand science (I speak to them pretty much multiple times daily) and they sound very much like you do right now. It's the whole:

"These scientists! First they say one thing, then they say this, then they say that! I don't trust any of it so I'm just going to fall back on my biases/fears/instincts because that's what always works for me". It is something I see far too often, and America is suffering as much from that as it is from the COVID-denier stupidity. Total lack of self-awareness from all parties.

So, whateves.....

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 7:32 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
Alas, a sizeable minority of the population absolutely refuses to acknowledge the statistics and simply closes their eyes, ears and brains, instead simply believing some crap they read on some naturalnews.com site or something like that. It's pathetic.
Fuck. Them.

I think once we're as vaccinated as we're ever going to be and hopefully achieve some level of herd immunity, the country should open back up and if these troglodytes get sick, that's on them.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 8:27 PM

Quote:
It meant....exactly what it meant....?

At the end of the day, I just think that people who have a solid grasp of the scientific process aren't going to be as suspicious or fearful as you are sounding. I've dealt with countless people who don't understand science (I speak to them pretty much multiple times daily) and they sound very much like you do right now. It's the whole:

"These scientists! First they say one thing, then they say this, then they say that! I don't trust any of it so I'm just going to fall back on my biases/fears/instincts because that's what always works for me". It is something I see far too often, and America is suffering as much from that as it is from the COVID-denier stupidity. Total lack of self-awareness from all parties.

So, whateves.....
If this is what you got out of this entire discussion then I don't know what to say. I think you're the one lacking the understanding.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 9:40 PM

Why hasn't this thread been shut down? This is just the CE thread.

So, Chicago is still somewhat locked down, but a partially reopened.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 11:32 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Fuck. Them.

I think once we're as vaccinated as we're ever going to be and hopefully achieve some level of herd immunity, the country should open back up and if these troglodytes get sick, that's on them.
And I agree with you on this. What I've been getting at in my posts is that those very troglodytes are the ones who made things much worse for this country as a whole up until now.

I will say that anyone who gets COVID and refused to take the vaccine (assuming no medical reasons against it, of course) aptitude even be covered by their own insurance, yet alone have any governmental help whatsoever.

As you said: Fuck Them.

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
And I agree with you on this. What I've been getting at in my posts is that those very troglodytes are the ones who made things much worse for this country as a whole up until now.

I will say that anyone who gets COVID and refused to take the vaccine (assuming no medical reasons against it, of course) aptitude even be covered by their own insurance, yet alone have any governmental help whatsoever.

As you said: Fuck Them.

Aaron (Glowrock)
Me three.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Fuck. Them.

This pandemic will just look like a horrible flu season come May 1st. Mark my words and save this post yall.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 2:29 AM

So, I am starting to notice people are beginning the "slowmad" or "digitial nomad" trail. People in my company have started moving around. I see people on social media drifting around the country now to places they really want to live, but couldn't before.....

I just signed up for a WeWork global access pass since I am mentally done working from home day-in and day-out. I need a place to go. Last week I went to a rooftop at the WeWork in S. Miami Beach and really wish I could just drop into that place to work anywhere I wanted once my place is rented out.

I really wish I knew how many other people out there are going through this same process, that wouldn't have even though about it before the pandemic.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 2:30 AM
The City

Just imagine being a single 25 year old through all this. It’s gotta drive one insane

Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 2:34 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Just imagine being a single 25 year old through all this. It’s gotta drive one insane
This fella disagrees!!!

AND HE is expecting!

Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 3:01 AM

hahaha

Oh man, but yeah it must suck to be single right now.

Us non-single folks are facing our own challenges, but still lol

Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 4:01 AM

Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 9:46 AM

i dont even remember posting beastie boys and tool. its been a crazy week. i had to have a 12 pack. im 35 now, since a couple days ago, maybe id be more sane if i had a girlfriend. never had one of those..

Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 1:23 PM
BANNED

Oh dear i hope you dont fall down the incel hole. We know where that goes.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 1:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Anyone have divorce statistics from the last year?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silewe View Post
Anyone have divorce statistics from the last year?
This gives a glimpse into the 2020 numbers. It appears to be neutral.

https://news.virginia.edu/content/qa...0-divorce-rate

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions