HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 7:50 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Looks like New street views are being updated to March 22'

I would like to see some updated aerial/satellite images soon.
I've given up on Google for that and just use the county assessor website.

https://maps.mcassessor.maricopa.gov/

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
I'm 38 now, but when my family moved to Phoenix in 1996, I think Bell Road was the dividing line between development and open desert? I-17 was only two lanes in each direction (followed by many agonizing years of lane expansions and the 101 connector)

Driving down to Phoenix the last two weekends from Flagstaff, I had no idea how big that semiconductor plant was going to be.

#coolstorybro #imanidiot
In 1996 development wasn't quite that sparse. Happy Valley Road would have been about the general northern extents where most everything to the north was desert at that time. But it certainly was much different in 1996.

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 8:46 PM
E pluribus unum

Oh yeah, absolutely. I just remember Adobe Mountain and the Anthem outlet mall being out in the middle of nowhere at the time. The first thing we did in Phoenix when we moved was meet with my dad (who'd moved out a few months before us from Cincinnati) for dinner at a Denny's on Bell Road and I-17 after my mom, brother and I spent three days travelling across the Midwest and Southwest.

Then again, I lived down in Ahwatukee and rarely ventured north of Downtown and Midtown until I moved to Flagstaff in 2009.

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiEncanto View Post
Thanks for posting. For those not familiar with the semiconductor world, TSMC is the 9th largest company in the world. It's net income was over $20b last year! They account for well over half the profits in worldwide semiconductor sales. The company prints money and reinvests every single year to ensure it always stays ahead of the competition. It's super impressive. Highly recommend the podcast "Acquired" on TSMC. Their story is fascinating and I'm super pumped to have them in AZ.

Note: I have zero experience in the industry so take my opinion fwiw, but I believe this is the single biggest thing to happen to the AZ economy in decades. The entire north Phoenix area will be impacted. Cave Creek and Carefree will be completely changed and impossibly expensive. Deer Valley and Anthem will become Chandler. The area south of Pleasant is going to become a lake district filled with homes. Knowing AZ, there will be a new outdoor mall with an entertainment district somewhere up there. It's going to be wild.
IIRC - City of Peoria has the highest densities for residential/commercial zoned for the intersection near SR-74 and Lake Pleasant Parkway. Yes, there's a dirt airport there for the gliders, but that will be prime real-estate for development shortly. It really wouldn't be that crazy to see development down SR-74 all the way to Morristown/Wickenberg. Heck, you could almost live in Peeples Valley and make a reasonable commute into TSMC if you wanted. Especially after I-11 goes in and SR-74 to converted to a freeway. The whole NW valley will change dramatically.

Old Posted May 19, 2022, 8:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Looks like New street views are being updated to March 22'

I would like to see some updated aerial/satellite images soon.
New street views where? For Google Earth right? Street views vary from place to place from what I see when I zoom in to look at something.

Old Posted May 19, 2022, 8:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
I've given up on Google for that and just use the county assessor website.

https://maps.mcassessor.maricopa.gov/
Is this supposed to be a satellite imagery? I don’t see any satellite imagery here.

Old Posted May 19, 2022, 3:04 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPHXskyscraperfan View Post
Is this supposed to be a satellite imagery? I don’t see any satellite imagery here.
You can change the view by clicking the 4 square icon in the top-right corner and select the aerial view by year.

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
You can change the view by clicking the 4 square icon in the top-right corner and select the aerial view by year.
Interesting, Looks like some parts of the SE valley have now gotten very up to date images.

Old Posted May 26, 2022, 10:53 PM

Phoenix was a close second behind San Antonio for highest estimated numeric population growth between June 2020 and June 2021:

https://www.census.gov/library/visua...ng-cities.html

Old Posted Jun 3, 2022, 6:15 PM

First look: See what Taiwan Semiconductor is building at massive north Phoenix site

Reminds me of the Apple Spaceship campus

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ce/7498673001/
Quote:
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co., which is building a $12 billion plant in north Phoenix, released the first look of what their new facility will look like.

TSMC released two renderings of the office building under construction on the site, a circular, glassy building.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2022, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Reminds me of the Apple Spaceship campus

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ce/7498673001/

Wow, I was not expecting this to have much visual appeal, this looks pretty awesome though.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2022, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Wow, I was not expecting this to have much visual appeal, this looks pretty awesome though.
For 12 billion dollars, i'd hope it would have some visual appeal

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 5:23 PM

Some updates on the market here, this is the third month in a row that things have slowed down and rents are flattening. Thinking some of you might be interested in seeing this:

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by az_daniel View Post
For 12 billion dollars, i'd hope it would have some visual appeal
It's more of a factory than a fancy corporate HQ. I think it's pretty appealing for a factory.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
It's more of a factory than a fancy corporate HQ. I think it's pretty appealing for a factory.
Yes there is a small local office portion but the vast majority is industrial, just think of the Intel Ocotillo campus and multiply it by 10 and you got Taiwan Semiconductors plant. Just out of size lone the office portion (Pictured above) will also be pretty big but its a tiny fraction of the whole site

See some of their Fabs in Taiwan:

Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 4:25 PM

Massive battery facility set for Buckeye to double, will break ground this year

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...expansion.html
Quote:
Shortly after closing on 214 acres in Buckeye, Coeur d’Alene, Idaho-based KORE Power has unveiled plans to double the size of its factory and significantly increase its investment in the plant.

The facility will now total 2 million square feet and cost an overall $1.25 billion to build, the company said at the end of May.

KORE initially planned to break ground early this year on a $1 billion, 1 million-square-foot lithium-ion battery manufacturing plant but said it has now pushed the construction start date to an unknown date later this year.

The project will start operations in 2024 as opposed to 2023, while the hiring process will also "ramp up" in the third quarter of 2023, according to the city of Buckeye. KORE also said it will support its facility, dubbed KOREPlex, with a U.S.-based supply chain.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 4:15 PM

Manufacturing Boom

There are a lot of reasons for this that can and does fill books but the manufacturing boom in Phoenix is real, broad and its going to change the economic landscape in this region for decades. Right now its in the plants but (as you will see below) this will cause follow on supply chain, logistics, legal, financial, servicing etc etc etc.

This is the type of real industry that makes places like Chicago, LA, Houston and NYC the powerhouses they are, and Arizona as primarily an extraction based and tourism based economy for decades, shifting into a secondary services industry (call centers etc) between 1990-2012 and now into a real broad base industrial economy.

https://azbigmedia.com/business/ariz...in-since-1966/

Arizona posts largest manufacturing jobs gain since 1966

Quote:
Arizona’s unemployment rate hit (another) new low at 3.2% in April. The state’s seasonally-adjusted nonfarm payroll jobs increased by 16,100 in April, after a revised drop of 4,400 in April. The preliminary estimate for March showed a decline of 3,700 jobs. Over-the-month job gains were driven by Arizona manufacturing jobs, which added a whopping 4,900 jobs over the month.

That was followed by leisure and hospitality (up 4,600), education and health services (up 2,300), professional and business services (up 1,500), trade, transportation and utilities (up 1,200), information (up 1,000), other services (up 700), and government (up 500). Employment in natural resources and mining and financial activities was stable, while construction jobs dropped by 600.

Government and leisure and hospitality jobs remained far below their pre-pandemic levels in April. Government jobs (primarily local government) were 20,300 below and leisure and hospitality jobs were 13,500 jobs below. Education and health services were still down 1,900, followed by information (down 1,200), natural resources and mining (down 200), and other services (down 100).

In contrast, trade, transportation, and utilities jobs were up 55,600 in April, followed by financial activities (up 11,200), manufacturing (up 10,600), construction (up 5,500), and professional and business services (up 3,000).

Overall, Arizona jobs were up 48,700 jobs from February 2020 to April 2022. Even so, state jobs were down 133,800 from where they would have been had the pandemic not occurred (Exhibit 2).

There also remains a lot of variation in job recovery rates across Arizona’s metropolitan statistical areas (Exhibit 3). The current estimates suggest that four of the state’s seven metropolitan areas have replaced all of the jobs lost during the February to April 2020 period: Lake Havasu City-Kingman, Phoenix, Prescott, and Yuma. As of April 2022, Sierra Vista-Douglas replaced 63.6% of the jobs lost early in the pandemic, Tucson replaced 88.4%, and Flagstaff replaced 92.2%.

Bank of Taiwan sets up Phoenix office as massive TSMC chip factory takes shape

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...tor-plant.html

Quote:
With little fanfare, a major Asian bank has set up a small Phoenix office to support one of its biggest customers, Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co., which is building a huge computer chip factory in the Valley.

The Bank of Taiwan opened the office in June, led by Vice President Carol Yeh, at Deer Valley Financial Center at 22601 N. 19th Ave., about six miles south of the TSMC site in north Phoenix. Documents filed with the Arizona Corporation Commission show that the bank received preliminary approval in February to operate in Arizona, with its final paperwork filed in March.

The Phoenix office is what's known in the industry as a representative office, meaning it will not open accounts for business customers locally, but will work on forging business relationships and can start the process of setting up business loans, particularly with Taiwan semiconductor industry suppliers and related information technology companies that are looking to set up shop in the Valley to support the TSMC factory, known as a fab.

Strengthening economic ties between Taiwan and Phoenix
Yeh, who confirmed the office opening to the Business Journal, will initially refer business loan customers to Bank of Taiwan's U.S. branch office in Los Angeles. Typically, representative offices eventually do switch over to offering loans and other services to business customers on their own if the level of business can support such a move.

In an emailed statement, Yeh said the bank would also look to help strengthen economic ties between Taiwan and Phoenix.

The bank held a dinner on June 21 in Phoenix to officially christen the opening of the office, with Bank of Taiwan Chairman Joseph Jye-Cherng Lyu in attendance, along with political and business dignitaries, including Arizona State Treasurer Kimberly Yee, Phoenix Mayor Kate Gallego, Arizona Commerce Authority President and CEO Sandra Watson and Greater Phoenix Economic Council President and CEO Chris Camacho.

"We can witness that Phoenix and Taiwan have built close economic ties through the direct investment of Taiwanese enterprises here. Therefore, this is the location where Bank of Taiwan also needs to establish its presence to support future prospects in this region and have direct dialogue with local clients," Lyu said in his prepared remarks at the dinner.

"The opening of Phoenix representative office today shows that Bank of Taiwan always stands by Taiwanese enterprises. Along with our branches in LA and New York, this office will be able to better serve the expansion and sustainable development of our customers in the U.S. market," he added.

Taiwanese companies flocking to the Valley
Indeed as the massive TSMC fab takes shape, several Taiwanese semiconductor supplier companies have set up shop in the Valley.

Taiwan Puritic Corp. has signed new leases in both Phoenix and Glendale; Kokusai Semiconductor Equipment Corp. has set up distribution, training centers and offices in Glendale; and CTCI has set up a new office in Phoenix. Rinchem, which is based in Albuquerque, New Mexico but has expanded into Taiwan, is looking to set up in Surprise.

In his remarks at the dinner, Camacho said GPEC is working behind the scenes with 22 companies from the Asia-Pacific Region that are exploring opportunities in the Valley.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 5:05 PM

I saw that this small art deco building caught fire yesterday. On Adams between 5th and 6th Ave. The back side of it appeared to bear the brunt of it, but I hope it isn't a total loss. That strip anchored by the Winsor Hotel is a underutilized but pretty awesome remnant of what downtown once was and could be someday. I had hoped it all would eventually be renovated with development and investment marching westward on Van Buren. The Fox 10 Studios across the street also appears to be a giant (terrible) combination of many historic buildings, I also hope it would some day get a facelift/facade restoration. Anyone know anyone at Fox 10 that would want to dive into an investigation of their own building's history (could be a segment for them) and champion a renovation?

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4492...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 6:01 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
I saw that this small art deco building caught fire yesterday. On Adams between 5th and 6th Ave. The back side of it appeared to bear the brunt of it, but I hope it isn't a total loss. That strip anchored by the Winsor Hotel is a underutilized but pretty awesome remnant of what downtown once was and could be someday. I had hoped it all would eventually be renovated with development and investment marching westward on Van Buren. The Fox 10 Studios across the street also appears to be a giant (terrible) combination of many historic buildings, I also hope it would some day get a facelift/facade restoration. Anyone know anyone at Fox 10 that would want to dive into an investigation of their own building's history (could be a segment for them) and champion a renovation?

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4492...7i16384!8i8192
It's a total loss. I was there watching the fire yesterday. It's ironic that there is Firestarter movie posters on the front of the building.

The fire was a pretty bad and gutted the whole building. They also practically flooded the building putting the fire out with at least 4 hoses going. I was seriously worried that the Winsor would light up. Glad it didn't. That's a good chunk of history we would have lost.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
It's a total loss. I was there watching the fire yesterday. It's ironic that there is Firestarter movie posters on the front of the building.

The fire was a pretty bad and gutted the whole building. They also practically flooded the building putting the fire out with at least 4 hoses going. I was seriously worried that the Winsor would light up. Glad it didn't. That's a good chunk of history we would have lost.
Dang, what a bummer! What about that house or whatever between the Windsor and the burned building? Is it OK?

I'm assuming it was transients causing the fire? It appeared to be vacant.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest