HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Oct 5, 2020, 8:45 PM

Nice! Build it!

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 12:47 PM

Southern Land closes on Rittenhouse Square parcel, setting stage for $200M project

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...re-parcel.html

Quote:
Southern Land Co. has closed on buying 1620 Sansom St. in the Rittenhouse Square neighborhood of Philadelphia for $24.5 million, clearing the way for the real estate company’s next project.

Nashville, Tennessee-based Southern Land has approvals for a proposed $200 million, 28-story tower on the site that will have 308 apartments, 32,000 square feet of commercial space and a parking garage. Demolition of the garage is expected this spring with construction to begin by the fall, said Brian Emmons of Southern Land. The development’s completion is projected for 2023.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 1:14 PM
Midrise

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 2:19 PM

I think the west side looks good behind the church. Much better than the Hyatt Centric near by.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 4:06 PM

Pumped for this one! Looks like a great tower.... and replacing that butt-fugly parking garage is a huge win too

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 4:08 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
This is moving fast, good to see another ugly parking garage bite the dust!

Does this mean Southern Land is happy with how The Laurel is selling if they are ready to start another project? (I know these are rentals though).

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 5:00 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^^
City living and all the amenities will come back strong. Rittenhouse is desirable and higher-end rentals from the 1620 Samson project is a good fit. And, by the time Laurel is finished, we should be back to normalcy. 1620 will be further out and demand should be strong as we project more into the future...say anywhere from 3-5 years projected from today.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 5:01 PM

This project is great and I've loved all of Southern Land's buildings so far. Now it's time to keep some pandemic street closures and close Sansom from 15th to 17th (maybe even 18th). Start on Friday and Saturday nights. Add pavers, planters and removable bollards and it'll become our little 6th street in Austin.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 5:40 PM

^^^ seriously, I can't believe the city didn't close more streets during all this. It seems no-brainer to me and other cities did it. They need to make it permanent especially on a street like sansom that doesn't see a ton car traffic anyway. wish they'd do the same to locust, but that's definitely more used. 9th street where the italian market is would be nice too.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintreesnail View Post
^^^ seriously, I can't believe the city didn't close more streets during all this. It seems no-brainer to me and other cities did it. They need to make it permanent especially on a street like sansom that doesn't see a ton car traffic anyway. wish they'd do the same to locust, but that's definitely more used. 9th street where the italian market is would be nice too.
Stone Street in Manhattan would be a perfect example of how it's done.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 6:01 PM

yeah, that looks awesome. Boston has a few too. This doesn't look dead to me:
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3555...2!8i6656?hl=en

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 6:02 PM

It's a good idea to close Sansom west of Broad say through 19th and make it pedestrian only. At least on blocks where at the moment there are no entrances and exits to parking garages.

Similarly, people have been chiding the condition of Walnut Street lately and I agree its underperforming and also agree the Rittenhouse Row corp has lost it's way a little bit.

Plenty of places need investment, but I wonder if it would make sense to strike one lane (parking) on Walnut to widen the sidewalks on one or both sides of the street to create more opportunity to program the street and create more opportunities for seating, gathering, upgrade lighting, landscaping etc.

Walnut really does deserve a jolt. There could be 2 remaining lanes. 1 for buses and 1 for cars/bikes. In each block you could put a cut out for loading unloading for the businesses that would be restricted to commercial vehicles only.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 6:15 PM

I think that would be great; I was recently thinking about how Walnut used to have a lot more restaurants and unique shops before chains, mobile stores and banks took over. Honestly, after things get back to normal retail is never going to be the same again. There's still going to be demand there but I don't think it'll warrant something like walnut. And honestly I would rather it be spread out anyway and have more of a mix. Restaurants and bars I think are going to come back really strong after folks finally get out after being pent up so long. Hopefully cultural institutions too. The city needs to plan to do what it can help that along and encourage people to get out.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_ View Post
This project is great and I've loved all of Southern Land's buildings so far. Now it's time to keep some pandemic street closures and close Sansom from 15th to 17th (maybe even 18th). Start on Friday and Saturday nights. Add pavers, planters and removable bollards and it'll become our little 6th street in Austin.
Is there a garage for this building that dumps out on Sansom? Might make street closures difficult to execute from a political standpoint (fwiw I am a huge advocate for shutting down streets).

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
It's a good idea to close Sansom west of Broad say through 19th and make it pedestrian only. At least on blocks where at the moment there are no entrances and exits to parking garages.

Similarly, people have been chiding the condition of Walnut Street lately and I agree its underperforming and also agree the Rittenhouse Row corp has lost it's way a little bit.

Plenty of places need investment, but I wonder if it would make sense to strike one lane (parking) on Walnut to widen the sidewalks on one or both sides of the street to create more opportunity to program the street and create more opportunities for seating, gathering, upgrade lighting, landscaping etc.

Walnut really does deserve a jolt. There could be 2 remaining lanes. 1 for buses and 1 for cars/bikes. In each block you could put a cut out for loading unloading for the businesses that would be restricted to commercial vehicles only.
Agree there's no reason to keep the parking lane on Walnut. Personally I'd shut the whole thing down to traffic and only allow the bus but if not that, getting rid of the parking lane to widen the sidewalk and allow more outdoor commerce/dining is a good idea. Same for Chestnut.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintreesnail View Post
yeah, that looks awesome. Boston has a few too. This doesn't look dead to me:
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3555...2!8i6656?hl=en
Wow that looks awesome and really not that complicated. Unfortunately Boston's city leadership is drastically better than Philly's.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeGuy View Post
Is there a garage for this building that dumps out on Sansom? Might make street closures difficult to execute from a political standpoint (fwiw I am a huge advocate for shutting down streets).
Looks like all the way to the right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Street level rendering:

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 3:46 AM
Philly Pholly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_ View Post
Stone Street in Manhattan would be a perfect example of how it's done.
agreed

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 3:47 AM
Philly Pholly

Are Walnut and Chestnut Emergency Evacuation routes

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 4:53 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post
Are Walnut and Chestnut Emergency Evacuation routes
I don't know at all but assuming that Walnut is due to the access to 76/UC It may be Chestnut could be as well since it goes by the hospital and etc.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction