HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 28, 2022, 8:43 PM
the first stamp is free

huh.

Had Gillingham lost, it would have been because of Charleswood.

Murray's loss seems to be directly due to the shift of his (expected) support in Wolseley, Riverview and Norwood Flats to Loney.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2022, 8:51 PM

I'm surprised Loney pulled as many votes as he did. He won a lot of polls in the south-centre of the city. Obviously Murray wouldn't have captured 100% of those votes had Loney not run, but I'd wager that he'd have received the lions' share.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2022, 8:55 PM

With the city so divided i still think it would be better if unicity was broken up to pre 1972 boundaries. Have st boniface and fort Garry and st James ect.. take care of their own communities and have the old city of Winnipeg take care of itself and if it needs an annual grant from the province since it would need more for policing and various social issues so be it. I fail to see how unicity has improved the city seems to have only steadily declined past 50 years while the bedroom communities flourish

Old Posted Oct 28, 2022, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
huh.

Had Gillingham lost, it would have been because of Charleswood.

Murray's loss seems to be directly due to the shift of his (expected) support in Wolseley, Riverview and Norwood Flats to Loney.
Klein and Loney (3rd and 4th place, respectively) had basically the same amount of votes -- 28,000. If all of Klein's votes went to Gillingham, and all of Loney's to Murray, the difference between Gillingham and Murray would have been basically the same. I think it's more the progressive also-rans (notably RFO) who played spoiler.

But it's like a football team losing the game because of a missed field goal... it's heartbreaking to think of what-if, but you shouldn't have put yourself in that position in the first place. Murray had a terrible campaign through and through and that's ultimately why he lost.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2022, 9:47 PM

I think the election was decided when Scott Gillingham released the Kenaston commercial, after that the people of St James and South Winnipeg got an automatic hard on for Scott and the future third lane on Kenaston.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2022, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegcity View Post
I think the election was decided when Scott Gillingham released the Kenaston commercial, after that the people of St James and South Winnipeg got an automatic hard on for Scott and the future third lane on Kenaston.
He knew his constituency very well his messaging was very clear and simple and he is generally a likeable average guy. I would grade his campaign very very well from a purely political studies viewpoint whereas Murray's campaign was an example of how not to run a campaign. Disorganized mixed messages poor communication to voters.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2022, 10:07 PM

Klein was gunning hard for Gillingham. I had OB on in the car for about 15 minutes total over the course of the day and heard Klein's add attacking Gillingham about 3 times.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2022, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
People often say this, but that idea is overstated. We've had several rookies end up as mayor in recent years... Bowman, Katz, Thompson. Obviously they didn't just roll into town and win, they all had extensive business and professional credentials. But if having past experience as an elected official was that important, all three would have lost to the veteran politicians that ran against them.
Bowman was on TV and in the paper all the time. Katz owns(ed) several sports teams and is the most notable entertainment promoter in this city pre-True North. It was A2 news in the FP when he got married and had a child before he was mayor. Thompson campaigned for basically the entire term before Norrie left as the Chamber president…again in the Free Press and on TV news all the time.

Loney, Bokhari, Motkaluk….no public profile. Can’t just show up every few years for a campaign. Need a public profile or political experience. Loney might be a good candidate for the NDP in South Winnipeg. I would suggest to people like Bokhari that if she wants to be a player in politics she needs to actually get elected to serve somewhere to build a resume and not just where her family can overwhelm a flailing party.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2022, 4:22 AM

Gillingham ran a tight campaign, reached out to his base extremely well, has a clean record, and yet Winnipeggers are silly for electing someone who did the job of campaigning better than anybody else? And he also happens to be allegedly an extremely nice man. I mean, I didn't vote for the guy, but if that is the green screen backdrop to disliking Winnipeg and being discouraged... I can't say I really understand. It seems like Winnipeggers, or at least, the percentage that voted made a bit of a sophisticated choice based on the platter of offerings and of the various characters and how they conducted themselves past and present.

Congrats to Mayor Gillingham. I suspect he'll be better then some here think who aren't lovers of his perceived priorities.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2022, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny D Oh View Post
Loney, Bokhari, Motkaluk….no public profile. Can’t just show up every few years for a campaign. Need a public profile or political experience. Loney might be a good candidate for the NDP in South Winnipeg. I would suggest to people like Bokhari that if she wants to be a player in politics she needs to actually get elected to serve somewhere to build a resume and not just where her family can overwhelm a flailing party.
Loney was low profile, no question. I had never heard of him prior to the election. As a former provincial party leader, Bokhari was well known, though (if for a lot of the wrong reasons, ha), and same with Motkaluk, a former second-place mayoral finisher who pulled like 75,000 votes last time out. Same with RFO, he was certainly a known quantity. I don't know that low profile was really the issue with these people.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2022, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
With the city so divided i still think it would be better if unicity was broken up to pre 1972 boundaries. Have st boniface and fort Garry and st James ect.. take care of their own communities and have the old city of Winnipeg take care of itself and if it needs an annual grant from the province since it would need more for policing and various social issues so be it. I fail to see how unicity has improved the city seems to have only steadily declined past 50 years while the bedroom communities flourish
I actually think this is backward. If you look at how much revenue cities generate from their central business districts vs. the suburbs on a per acre basis, you'd end up with a situation where the newer suburbs wouldn't have enough revenue to pay for the maintenance on their infrastructure. There's all kinds of good analysis on the issue at places like Strong Towns.

A standard suburban development doesn't generate anywhere near the kind of money as an old school retail strip like you see along any street in the older parts of the city.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2022, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Grump View Post
I actually think this is backward. If you look at how much revenue cities generate from their central business districts vs. the suburbs on a per acre basis, you'd end up with a situation where the newer suburbs wouldn't have enough revenue to pay for the maintenance on their infrastructure. There's all kinds of good analysis on the issue at places like Strong Towns.

A standard suburban development doesn't generate anywhere near the kind of money as an old school retail strip like you see along any street in the older parts of the city.
It's really a dynamic problem and it depends on what year we are talking about. Yes, revenue per acre is higher in denser, inner-city and downtown neighborhoods in Winnipeg. But the fact is that infrastructure replacement costs are also higher. The combined sewer system in our inner city is really expensive and intrusive to fix, and is a barrier to growth in some neighborhoods. Newer neighborhoods with newer infrastructure that has longer lifespans and better materials won't require maintenance for quite some time, so their "revenue to expenditure ratio" isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

Do suburbs like Bridgwater have a very high "roads to taxpayer" ratio compared to inner-city neighborhoods? Absolutely. But the problem is those roads have 40 to 80 year lifespans before replacement, and lifecycle maintenance won't begin for 20 to 30 years, so those costs don't hit the city budget until several decades from now - assuming we actually repair the roads at the rate required to keep them in good condition.

We hear a lot about "suburbs being more expensive", but what we don't hear is how elected officials have swung the math in suburban development's favor by under-investing in infrastructure required for subdivisions. If we built and maintained infrastructure like Calgary, Edmonton, or Mississauga then yes, all those subdivisions would be a net negative with tax revenue being less than their long-term maintenance costs. BUT politicians can get around this with one simple trick that engineers hate: just don't do the maintenance, or build adequate infrastructure.

Bridgwater, Sage Creek, Island Lakes, River Park South, Amber Trails, and all other similar neighborhoods don't put as much pressure on the city budget as everybody thinks they do because the city simply doesn't invest in the infrastructure required to service them. Bishop Grandin is a mess that would require multiple grade separations to fix, yet they will never happen. If they did, the ROI for suburban development would immediately become negative. Transit service is marginal in those areas, and if were better, again, the ROI would swing negative. Amber Trails likely has a positive ROI, until CPT extension is built. Bridgwater is probably a net positive to the city until the several hundred lane kms of new local roads need to be replaced, or a grade separation is needed at Keneston and Perimeter.

But because we just tack on suburban development without accommodating the growth, tax-payers and elected officials don't feel the financial pinch because they simply aren't spending the money required. Of course, everyone ends up paying one way or another: potholes, congestion, rec centers falling apart, short-staffed programming, unkept parks and trails, the list goes on and on.

But suburban development "works" okay-ish in Winnipeg because we just let levels of service decline and infrastructure become overloaded with insufficient investments to replace it.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2022, 2:15 PM

^ That's probably the most compelling defense for our underinvestment in transportation (either transit or road) infrastructure that I've ever read. It actually made me feel somewhat good about our state of affairs. But it still doesn't quite explain how other cities are able to pull off having at least basic levels of expressways and rapid transit without having their fiscal houses collapse.

I think the suburbs vs. inner city municipal finance calculus is also swayed to some extent by the immense social needs of the inner city. This plays out in emergency service demand levels. For instance, I could stand at Logan and Main for half an hour and probably see more police cars go by than I'll see in 5 years on the collector street by my house. Providing those police, fire and paramedic responses has to be quite expensive in terms of staff salaries.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2022, 8:36 PM

Going back to this map. The split from Elmwood-East Kildonan to North Kildonan voters. Surely has to do with Jeff Bro endorsing Gillingham. I can not figure out why Bro keeps getting voted in. We need serious contenders to those type of councilors.

Same with my councilor Jason Schreyer. Like really he does nothing, is invisible, doesn't respond. But keeps getting voted in because of his orange NDP ish signs and his name.

I voted against all the incumbents I could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardlow View Post
The post mortem is in:
(Courtesy of Jacques Marcoux on Twitter)

Old Posted Oct 31, 2022, 9:11 PM
surely you agree with me

I was thinking....it's pretty amazing that one article from one journalist has changed the future of an entire city for at least a decade.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2022, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
I was thinking....it's pretty amazing that one article from one journalist has changed the future of an entire city for at least a decade.
Are you talking about the infamous el barto?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2022, 9:18 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegcity View Post
I agree....he didn't even promise that...he promised a ROI study....good politics.

Gillingham had a seasoned and ruthless campaign manager....murray had a hotel owner who is even more scattered than he is....even so, it took the luck of the Kives article for gillingham to win....I believe Murray could have overcome the 'scandal' had he just focused on inspiring people.....

Old Posted Oct 31, 2022, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Sure, but by the same token... if a certain mayoral candidate hadn't done the deeds, then that journalist wouldn't have had anything to write about.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2022, 9:20 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Are you talking about the infamous el barto?
yeah...he doesn't write that article and Murray is mayor by a landslide. Most of that green in the middle would be gone.

It helped to have Broadbeck beating on it day after day....so weird that the newspaper gives someone a platform to express their own opinion about a specific person like that and treats it like news.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2022, 9:22 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Sure, but by the same token... if a certain mayoral candidate hadn't done the deeds, then that journalist wouldn't have had anything to write about.
i guess the question is, were the 'deeds' actually equivalent to the impact they had on the election....

I personally don't think the punishment befit the crime.

I saw Murray at Osborne Safeway on the weekend...it made me so sad....we were so close to having a mayor who walks to the grocery store in Osborne Village.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan