HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 18, 2008, 7:04 PM
A long time gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco Roman View Post
No more dangerous than the Maffia's stranglehold over all of Italy; Mama Mia!

That area (Health science Centre) is renown to be seedy to say the least. And it's "mafia" and "mamma"

-------------
"The spider spins his web in the Palace of the Caesars,
An owl hoots in the towers of Afrasiyab."

Old Posted Oct 18, 2008, 7:05 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritedenergy View Post
That area (Health science Centre) is renown to be seedy to say the least. And it's "mafia" and "mamma"
And no city in Italy doesn't have any seedy areas? Please.............

BTW, I'm 1/5 Italian myself.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2008, 7:08 PM
A long time gone

Quote:
And no city in Italy doesn't have any seedy areas? Please.............
who said that? x10

I was just wondering whether it is safe there... is it forbidden?

Edit: you are 1/5 italian? Ok now I see why you are a "rompicoglioni". Don't worry, I am one myself.

-------------

Old Posted Oct 18, 2008, 7:10 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
who said that? x10

I was just wondering whether it is safe there... is it forbidden?
Well, it's no secret you hate where you live, and most of your comments are meant as jabs towards Winnipeg; it's pretty clear.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2008, 7:15 PM
A long time gone

Quote:
Well, it's no secret you hate where you live, and most of your comments are meant as jabs towards Winnipeg; it's pretty clear.
I don't hate Winnipeg at all. It's very different from where I come from so it's tough to adjust. But Winnipeg and Canada have so much going for them, maybe the quality of life is lower as far as food, museums, nightlife etc., but there are pros like a more "civilized", diverse and welcoming society. You should be proud of being Canadian

[/now goes back to complaining mode]

-------------

Old Posted Oct 19, 2008, 2:06 AM

Maybe I'm dreaming things - and admittedly I haven't been in a year, but I remember Costco. Wholesale having relatively inexpensive and decent outdoor wear. Maybe I'm losing it.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2008, 3:32 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
I'm looking for functional outdoor wear... I'm not the stylish type yet (but would love to dress well if I had the money...).

Thanks guys for your advice, I'll try Cabela's and Outfitters (nobody seems to go there... it's close to Northgate Shopping Centre, is it dangerous?) and MEC customer service
Oh come on! Northgate is not dangerous! It's like stating that walking across the street is dangerous!

...wait, what!?

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2008, 5:04 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

aww northgate is just a dead mal cause aww yea its a crappy mall thats realy dated....

Old Posted Oct 19, 2008, 2:22 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
aww northgate is just a dead mal cause aww yea its a crappy mall thats realy dated....
It is.

Garden City is not any better either. The physical look on the mall itself dates back to the late 60s or early 70s, and the last known renos done to that mall was 8 or 9 years ago, when they put Canadian Tire, Petcetra, and Winners as the last anchor stores next to long-time tenant Sears.

I seriously hope that whoever owns that mall, will get their act together and renovate Garden City again, and bring it to the REAL 21st century.

Northgate desperately needs a full blown reno as well. Cinema City and Zellers are the only places keeping that mall alive.

Hell, probably not the best example, but Superstore on McPhillips has been undergoing renovations since mid-August, and won't be done until at least around early November. Right now, working there (yours truly does) and shopping there is frustrating because everything is shuffled and all over the place.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2008, 3:09 PM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
It is.

Garden City is not any better either. The physical look on the mall itself dates back to the late 60s or early 70s, and the last known renos done to that mall was 8 or 9 years ago, when they put Canadian Tire, Petcetra, and Winners as the last anchor stores next to long-time tenant Sears.

I seriously hope that whoever owns that mall, will get their act together and renovate Garden City again, and bring it to the REAL 21st century.

Northgate desperately needs a full blown reno as well. Cinema City and Zellers are the only places keeping that mall alive.

Hell, probably not the best example, but Superstore on McPhillips has been undergoing renovations since mid-August, and won't be done until at least around early November. Right now, working there (yours truly does) and shopping there is frustrating because everything is shuffled and all over the place.
Northgate and Garden City are both dives. Yeah the only thing that keeps those places going is their locations maybe Dollarama, Zellers & Cinema City.

Superstore, damn i remember when they renovated the one on St. Annes yeah talk about feeling totally lost. Every time i went in it was shuffled somewhere else.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2008, 7:39 PM

Someone here was saying there's good clothes stores in the Exchange... it's a bit of a bus trip down there for me, but what shops are all there?

I was in Osbourne Village the other day and was fairly disappointed...

Old Posted Oct 19, 2008, 8:01 PM
A long time gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0773|=\ View Post
Someone here was saying there's good clothes stores in the Exchange... it's a bit of a bus trip down there for me, but what shops are all there?

I think there are very expensive boutiques, plus other things like bookstores, etc. There is also a nice pastry store .

You can see the list here:
http://www.exchangedistrict.org/action.aspx?id=6

-------------

Old Posted Oct 19, 2008, 8:03 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:

I thought you lived in Edmonton?

Old Posted Oct 19, 2008, 9:37 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:

just of main st on Mcdermot there's Ragpickers a second hand tor i believe. Somehow i have never gone in there, yet i know the owners. there's also a small theater up above it that has shows year round

Old Posted Oct 19, 2008, 9:37 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
perhaps hes in town visiting?

Old Posted Oct 19, 2008, 10:35 PM

Born and raised in Edmonton, going to school in Winnipeg. I live in Edmonton during the summer months.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2008, 10:37 PM

Quote:
that's why I was asking you what the weather was like in Edmonton a few days ago (Thanksgiving thread)

Old Posted Oct 20, 2008, 2:19 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayM View Post
Northgate and Garden City are both dives. Yeah the only thing that keeps those places going is their locations maybe Dollarama, Zellers & Cinema City.

Superstore, damn i remember when they renovated the one on St. Annes yeah talk about feeling totally lost. Every time i went in it was shuffled somewhere else.
Yeah, and Superstore McPhillips will be the second store in the city to go with the "new format" like St. Anne's. The other stores are still with the "old" logo, even though the new logo you see in the flyer has been out for well over a year now.

A little useless tidbit: Superstore McPhillips is actually the most busiest Superstore in the city.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2008, 2:43 AM

Quote:

Most of the clothing stores in the exchange are boutique stores that carry mainly fancy clothes (like dresses) for girls. There's at least five or six of them now.

For guys, there's a shoe store called Sole Spot that carries pretty cool skate shoes and skater-style clothes. There's also a store called Connect Four that carries a very limited amount of guy's clothes, and most of them are overpriced and boring. And they don't seem to change their stock much; I pop in only a few times a year and see the exact same clothes that haven't moved an inch off the rack.

Not much else comes to mind, except a vintage store or two. As of now shopping in the exchange is mainly directed towards girls.

That said, the exchange district itself is worth the long bus ride out. There's lots to check out besides clothing stores.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2008, 9:18 AM

Winter Clothing in Winnipeg,

You want good and cheap, well thankfully we make the stuff here. Check out the few remaining sewing factories left in this city.

Gemini Factory outlet is one I know of on Notre Dame, I can't remember the others but I think there are still 3 places in the city that make winter coats and have factory outlets. I'll be back in the peg in about a week and a half once I get settled again I'll take a look and post the other names.

My mom bought her winter coat there two winters ago, its semi stylish and was of excellent quality. Something I like to call Winnipeg style ( somewhat chique but with all the functionality and utilitarian needs looked after).

Plus you are supporting jobs in Winnipeg, from what I remember my dad telling me when he went shopping with her was that the prices are the same as you would find in retail like MEC or at the Malls, but for the same price you were getting a much higher quality coat.

Now that's Winnipeg, We not cheap, because we expect high quality but at a good price. Big difference, it just means we don't like to waste money.

Also if you have some coin, nothing beats a fur coat, and there are a number of great fur places in this city but the #1 that comes to mind is Reiss's fine furs on McDermot.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan