HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 6:19 PM
Saskatchewan's Largest

CFL to Saskatoon?

Saskatoon Rough Riders?
By David Kirton
Updated February 14, 2008 - 11:39am

Kent Smith-Windsor, the executive director of the Saskatoon and District Chamber of Commerce says he's spoken to the group of business people who are floating the idea of a 32 thousand seat football stadium in Saskatoon.

He confirms to News Talk Radio that there is a group that is at least talking about the idea.

Smith says the Chamber was approached during a break at an unrelated meeting.

He says the idea is in its very early stages.

Smith won't disclose who the group is, but he says he says it's the kind of people he would be excited about formulating a plan like this.

News Talk Radio's John Gormley says he has spoken to the group, who would like to move the Saskatchewan Roughriders to Saskatoon or would seek an expansion team with the CFL.

-------------------------------

The Riders will never move to Saskatoon, nor should they. The history is down there. That said, it sure would be nice to get a team here, not to mention a new 32 thousand seat stadium! The Battle of Saskatchewan would be great.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 6:21 PM
Movin' on up

I would like to see an expansion team in Saskatoon (along with Quebec City and Halifax), but I doubt those in Regina would agree with moving the Green Team to Saskatoon.

*Cracks open a beer and waits*

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 6:27 PM
REALTOR

I made a comment in the Canada section about how the CFL was dying, and the NFL would replace it eventually, and obviously to not as many markets. But in my opinion, saskatchewan has some of the most, if not the most enthusiastic fans in all of sports. I woulden't doubt if there could be 2 CFL teams in Saks. I would go as far to say that if the possibility was there, Sask. could even have a permanent and successful NHL frahchise. there are 1million people in sask. that means 1million saskachewan NHL jerseys, and a million long waiting list for season tickets.

If the CFL does manage to stay reletivaly successful, i say bring another sask team!

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 6:33 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Saskatoon could likely draw enough fans, the question is would they support a team other than the Riders?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 6:39 PM
the heat goes on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayreonaut View Post
Saskatoon could likely draw enough fans, the question is would they support a team other than the Riders?

Rebranding the Riders as the Regina Roughriders should be enough to turn 90% of Saskatoon Rider fans to whatever local team would be created. I'm no great Rider fan, nor do I care to watch the CFL with any regularity, but I think it would be terrible to move the team here. I would welcome an expansion team and would likely attend a few games. As long as the build the stadium DOWNTOWN this time damn it.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 6:53 PM
Has been

I'll buy seasons tickets on the 55 yard line.

I can say this because it's never going to happen.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 7:13 PM
working stiff

This really puts things into perspective, a vision to relocate the Roughriders to Saskatoon, or having two CFL teams in Saskatchewan...I'd enjoy that very much.

Any of you were old enough to remember (I wasn't even born) when Bill Hunter championed the idea of moving the St. Louis Blues to Saskatoon? The current situation must evoke similar feelings of excitement.

I'd prefer they keep the Riders in Regina (we'll never hear the end of that one) and create a new team for Saskatoon, if feasible.

If not, we'll gladly accept the Riders as our own and a 32,000 seat stadium (perhaps a downtown location, but we should be open to alternative locations, something with a well thought plan which incorporates public transit), history aside, they are the Saskatchewan Roughriders.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 7:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASKFTW View Post
This really puts things into perspective, a vision to relocate the Roughriders to Saskatoon, or having two CFL teams in Saskatchewan...I'd enjoy that very much.

Any of you were old enough to remember (I wasn't even born) when Bill Hunter championed the idea of moving the St. Louis Blues to Saskatoon? The current situation must evoke similar feelings of excitement.

I'd prefer they keep the Riders in Regina (we'll never hear the end of that one) and create a new team for Saskatoon, if feasible.

If not, we'll gladly accept the Riders as our own and a 32,000 seat stadium (perhaps a downtown location, but we should be open to alternative locations, something with a well thought plan which incorporates public transit), history aside, they are the Saskatchewan Roughriders.
There is about as much chance of that happening as Rosie O'Donnell playing linebacker for the BlueBombers. Riders will never leave Regina no matter how much people in Saskatoon wish they would. Check Riderville.com and see who's on the Riders Board of Govenors. There would be a revolt and allout warfare if this would ever happen (which it won't). Regina is growing and booming just like Saskatoon and anyone who honestly thinks this would happen should seriously put down the crackpipe.

ps....since you say that you'd gladly accept the Riders 'as your own' if they moved up there, does that mean that the Riders currently belong to Regina???

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 8:09 PM
working stiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post
ps....since you say that you'd gladly accept the Riders 'as your own' if they moved up there, does that mean that the Riders currently belong to Regina???
They belong to Regina in a physical sense (they play in a stadium there) more than anything, of course there's some history too (Kent Austin was the quarterback, then the coach, and now has left...where is he now?), but they are the Saskatchewan Roughriders and Saskatoon is in Saskatchewan.

Perhaps the group floating the idea feel that Saskatoon represents Saskatchewan culture (err Rider Nation) more than Regina does...who knows, maybe instead of a 32,000 seat stadium being built in Saskatoon some group may come along and propose one for Regina

Sports teams match business interests with consumer interests. This group of investors is floating an idea based on their collective curious thoughts.

As a fan who resides in Regina, do you oppose such an idea? What if it were the best thing for the Rider franchise? or the best thing for the fan base? I suppose the answers to those questions seem irrelevant to you because you enjoy having the province's only professional team in your backyard. Are things good enough, could things be better? Is the team fine where they are?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 8:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
There is about as much chance of that happening as Rosie O'Donnell playing linebacker for the BlueBombers. Riders will never leave Regina no matter how much people in Saskatoon wish they would. Check Riderville.com and see who's on the Riders Board of Govenors. There would be a revolt and allout waRrfare if this would ever happen (which it won't). Regina is growing and booming just like Saskatoon and anyone who honestly thinks this would happen should seriously put down the crackpipe.

But not nearly as much as Saskatoon.

Anyways, I think the population in Saskatchewan would have to grow by one more million to secure a stable fan base for two CFL teams in the province.

And also, as small a posibility this may be, if the NHL were to come back into Canada, they would likely expand into cities like Winnipeg, Hamilton or Quebec City before entering into Saskatoon or Regina. There just isn't enough of a fan base there currently to warrent expansion possibilities.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 8:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
They belong to Regina in a physical sense (they play in a stadium there) more than anything, of course there's some history too (Kent Austin was the quarterback, then the coach, and now has left...where is he now?), but they are the Saskatchewan Roughriders and Saskatoon is in Saskatchewan.

Perhaps the group floating the idea feel that Saskatoon represents Saskatchewan culture (err Rider Nation) more than Regina does...who knows, maybe instead of a 32,000 seat stadium being built in Saskatoon some group may come along and propose one for Regina

Sports teams match business interests with consumer interests. This group of investors is floating an idea based on their collective curious thoughts.

As a fan who resides in Regina, do you oppose such an idea? What if it were the best thing for the Rider franchise? or the best thing for the fan base? I suppose the answers to those questions seem irrelevant to you because you enjoy having the province's only professional team in your backyard. Are things good enough, could things be better? Is the team fine where they are?
If Saskatoon wants a CFL team then fill out the paperwork for an expansion team. I find it offensive that these 'business guys' want to move the team when the team iself isn't sitting at the table and knows nothing about this. And as a fan who resides in Regina, you bet your ass that I oppose such an idea for relocation. There is too much tradition and Rider 'culture' here in Regina to just pack up and move. From what I understand, there are infact business people here in Regina that are throwing around ideas for a new stadium or to continue refurbishing Taylor field like they did in Chicago and Greenbay with their older stadiums. A guy like Paul Hill would never let this happen. So Saskatoon sports fans can keep on dreaming and not attending Blades games!!!

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 8:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus41 View Post
But not nearly as much as Saskatoon.
Who cares???? Regina is about to become the major transportation hub of central Canada. As a matter of fact, recently more people have moved from Saskatoon to Regina than the other way around. Right now Saskatoon sits at about 240K and Regina is at about 210K. Both are growing but it ain't that much of a difference and like I said already, once the new transportation hub gets going over the next few years, the population gap is likely to get smaller. Oh and did I mention the 2Billion dollar expansion to Regina's Coop Upgrader???

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 8:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Who cares???? Regina is about to become the major transportation hub of central Canada. As a matter of fact, recently more people have moved from Saskatoon to Regina than the other way around. Right now Saskatoon sits at about 240K and Regina is at about 210K. Both are growing but it ain't that much of a difference and like I said already, once the new transportation hub gets going over the next few years, the population gap is likely to get smaller.

Not sure about THE major, but a major hub it will be. Edmonton with the port of Prince Rupert, and Winnipeg with the Port of Churchill will also become major hubs of transportation aswell. And with Winnipeg's position as the most central location acessway to the US and Mexico, I would likely bet this city will become one of the largest cargo distribution centres in North America. It's just too ideal of a location to dismiss.

Anywho, in terms of sports franchises in Saskatchewan, my previous comments still stand. With SIGNIFICANT population growth comes opportunity for expansion, but Saskatchewan just ain't there yet and won't be for a while.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 8:29 PM
the heat goes on

Welp, I'm done with this thread.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 8:29 PM
Canadian Urbanite

Wow, quite the discussion...interesting nonetheless. Would like to see Saskatoon get a team if it didn't jeopardize the Riders....but I don't think that's feasible given our population.

Can't see the Riders moving there....don't Saskatoon residents hold only 500 season tickets or so to the Riders? That seems off, but I thought I heard that somewhere. Correct me if I am wrong.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 8:40 PM
working stiff

Quote:
If Saskatoon wants a CFL team then fill out the paperwork for an expansion team. I find it offensive that these 'business guys' want to move the team when the team iself isn't sitting at the table and knows nothing about this. And as a fan who resides in Regina, you bet your ass that I oppose such an idea for relocation. There is too much tradition and Rider 'culture' here in Regina to just pack up and move. From what I understand, there are infact business people here in Regina that are throwing around ideas for a new stadium or to continue refurbishing Taylor field like they did in Chicago and Greenbay with their older stadiums. A guy like Paul Hill would never let this happen. So Saskatoon sports fans can keep on dreaming and not attending Blades games!!!:tup:
Bold terms represent absolute truth.

Us Saskatonians have already devised a replacement for Gainer....tada ...we'll win so many more Grey Cups with an apple mascot

Yes we will keep dreaming, one day Saskatoon will convince you to relocate, it is not a question of if, but when

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 8:44 PM
working stiff

Migs, who is Paul Hill and why wouldn't he let this happen?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 8:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Migs, who is Paul Hill and why wouldn't he let this happen?
Owns pretty much half of Regina! You know all those glass towers in downtown Regina????.....most of them are his.

http://www.hillcompanies.com/links/c...executive.html

.....is also on the Riders Board of Governers (which is a who's who of Regina business people).

http://www.riderville.com/modules.ph...ticle&artid=30

Paul Hill has a love of Regina and its always been rumoured that he's wanted to build a stadium of his own here in Regina. Hopefully this gets the ball rolling....

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 8:52 PM
working stiff

Quote:
Owns pretty much half of Regina!

http://www.hillcompanies.com/links/c...executive.html

.....is also on the Riders Board of Governers (which is a who's who of Regina business people). You know all those glass towers in downtown Regina????.....most of them are his.

http://www.riderville.com/modules.ph...ticle&artid=30

Paul Hill has a love of Regina and its always been rumoured that he's wanted to build a stadium of his own here in Regina. Hopefully this gets the ball rolling....
Okay, so why hasn't he proposed a new stadium...what if he is part of this group floating the idea for Saskatoon?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 8:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Yes we will keep dreaming, one day Saskatoon will convince you to relocate, it is not a question of if, but when
I've already lived there.....couldn't get out fast enough.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan