HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 7:54 PM

Speak up Winnipeg

Hi Forumers.

Have any of you had the chance to check out www.speakupwinnipeg.com?
It's a new interactive public engagement tool started by the City to inform the Plan Winnipeg re-write.
It's pretty interesting. You can post comments and ideas and they will all be used to inform the plan.

I think it's certainly a new approach to things. It's a pretty interesting idea at the very least. What do you think?

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 8:14 PM
Armchair urbanist

Welcome to the boards.

That link was posted within one of the threads a couple days ago. It's definitely an interesting site, one I'm getting familiar with.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 9:36 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Opps, posted this in Winnipeg Construction. I too think its a great idea.

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 10:32 PM
pedal power

I would encourage all Winnipeggers to check this site out.
You can contribute to the public consultation without leaving your arm chair. It doesn't get much better than that!

I'm not going to lie to you, I'm a little biased on this issue, so I won't say any more. But this site is a really unique planning tool.

Old Posted May 2, 2009, 2:31 AM
Starring as himself

Nice of you to drop by, Jeff. That's surprisingly non-embarrassing for a city promotional website. Nicely done.

Old Posted May 2, 2009, 4:06 AM
Capitalist

I have never really been one for excessive public input in regards to city design. I feel that its one of those issues where too many disconnected ideas and concepts will do much more damage than going with a concise singular comprehensive plan. One example which comes to mind is how many granolas types will not take the city's growing road transportation needs into account in city planning, even while the city is positioning itself to become an international transportation hub.

While this might run against those who think everyone should be involved, I believe having too many cooks in the kitchen doesn't guarentee much more than runny golosh, even if its the politically favour of the month.

Old Posted May 2, 2009, 10:07 PM

I agree with what you're saying, newflyer. As much as the public loves to have their voice heard (including me), city planning and design really should be left up to experts. Provided we have some actual experts, of course. The average person doesn't have enough knowledge or scope to make informed, long-term decisions...nor do they usually know what's good for them, anyway.

But since Winnipeg seems to be lacking experts and a plan, maybe we should plan this city strictly by online polls and comments.

Old Posted May 2, 2009, 10:54 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

and experters that arnt joining a bandwagon but rather doing what works and will add to the city rather then come back and bite us in the ass...

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan