HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 13, 2022, 5:27 PM

I'd like to chime in on that, just had the conversation with my hair guy last month after finding out he too owns a few properties in Garfield.

Coronado is mostly single family homes and there's consistency in the neighborhood with just a few small apartment buildings mixed in, most of which are nice. Garfield is peppered with low cost apartments, many of which have seen years and years of deferred maintenance. The owners of those buildings (Ronaldo and me for example) are not doing anyone any favors by operating them as income generating rentals. We're far from the only old-school landlords who don't want to sell to developers interested in value add projects and flips. Slowly our generation will die off and as that happens you'll see our old crappy apartments be renovated or even scraped for new builds.

It's some of the last affordable single-family housing bordering downtown Phoenix and the land value is high but as long as my $85K purchase in 2003 keeps making me $4,500/mo in rent I'm not selling it.

Anyway, that's just the theory two guys came up with during a haircut.

edit: @downtownphxguy12 got his post in while I was typing mine and I find it funny we are saying the same thing.

Old Posted May 14, 2022, 8:37 AM

I appreciate the insight. I think Garfield had the potential to look a lot like the Highland neighborhood in Denver. Lots of new build townhouses and high density low rise apartment buildings mixed in with the historic homes that are still standing.

Old Posted May 14, 2022, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroD View Post
I appreciate the insight. I think Garfield had the potential to look a lot like the Highland neighborhood in Denver. Lots of new build townhouses and high density low rise apartment buildings mixed in with the historic homes that are still standing.
Had? It still has the potential. It just takes time.

Old Posted May 14, 2022, 7:53 PM

In addition, the empty lots and abandoned homes (8th and Garfield, 9th and Fillmore, 7th a fun Pierce) are sore spots. Seems like folks are just sitting on really good property and letting nice, historic homes go to shambles - or - prevent other progress.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2022, 9:33 PM

Skye is cruising along - looking on the cam (https://app.oxblue.com/open/clayco/skyeon6thphoenix) it looks like they jumped the crane up (for the final time). Hopefully we get some more similar towers nearby to fill in some of those lots.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2022, 9:55 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox View Post
Skye is cruising along - looking on the cam (https://app.oxblue.com/open/clayco/skyeon6thphoenix) it looks like they jumped the crane up (for the final time). Hopefully we get some more similar towers nearby to fill in some of those lots.
I drove around it Monday and I was thinking the same thing. Would be great to fill the rest of the adjacent lots with more towers.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 5:19 PM

I guess Skye has topped out

Quote:
Clayco recently completed the vertical construction of Skye on 6th in Phoenix, Arizona and we celebrated the milestone with a Topping Out celebration!
https://www.linkedin.com/company/clayco

https://app.oxblue.com/open/clayco/skyeon6thphoenix

Old Posted Jan 16, 2023, 4:00 AM

Roosevelt with Skye in the background

Old Posted Jan 18, 2023, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Roosevelt with Skye in the background

I can’t believe that big metal building hasn’t been filled. Would love to see Four Peaks Brewery in there or something like that.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2023, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPHXskyscraperfan View Post
I can’t believe that big metal building hasn’t been filled. Would love to see Four Peaks Brewery in there or something like that.
I thought that was going to be the Pedal Haus for a while.

IM actually surprised all of the houses on those blocks between Garfield and Roosevelt have not been turned into shops and restaurants they seem absolutely prime for it but I suppose most of them need a ton of work.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2023, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post

IM actually surprised all of the houses on those blocks between Garfield and Roosevelt have not been turned into shops and restaurants they seem absolutely prime for it but I suppose most of them need a ton of work.
wait...wasn't the metal building suppose to be several small tenants? Like a food hall? At least that's what was promised as part of that block's redevelopment including the bungalow next door?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post

Pedal Haus opened up on the north side of Roosevelt across from AZ wilderness, it's been there probably a year or so now? This would make a good spot for a brewery but Greenwood Brewery is also right by where this photo is taken, might be a bit too many breweries?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 7:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Pedal Haus opened up on the north side of Roosevelt across from AZ wilderness, it's been there probably a year or so now? This would make a good spot for a brewery but Greenwood Brewery is also right by where this photo is taken, might be a bit too many breweries?
Tap Dat is a couple doors down too. It would be cool to see Desoto reborn there as a possibility too, I guess only time will tell, I would imagine they would at least try to get some events of some sort going there for now? Especially Super Bowl week!!!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPHXskyscraperfan View Post
Tap Dat is a couple doors down too. It would be cool to see Desoto reborn there as a possibility too, I guess only time will tell, I would imagine they would at least try to get some events of some sort going there for now? Especially Super Bowl week!!!
Would actually like to see more breweries/food down on the other side of central towards 7th. Spread things out a bit more. With Walter Studios having shows regularly down at 7th Ave & Roosevelt - just would be nice to have some things closer to hang out at prior to.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2023, 4:31 PM

Crane coming down

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest