HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Feb 26, 2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
Why can't Dollar-Tom just agree to build his stupid signs atop the rooftops?!
Tommy boy is just throwing a tantrum at this point.

Honestly, if the Rickets had shown any prior expertise in dealing with this city, I'd say they were just delaying the project in hopes of squeaking out some city/state money. Given the past few years, though, it seems they're just stamping their feet until they "win" against the rooftops (which won't happen because there is a signed contract).

Stupid all around. Fix the stadium, run out the contract, hang the signs, everyone wins.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2014, 1:03 PM
The City

It's the rooftop association that is being stupid & short-sighted here. Do they not realize that in 2020 (or whatever year it is) they have absolutely nothing that protects them and the value of their business drops to ZERO? And by having such an adversarial relationship with the entity that provides them 100% of their business revenue, they pretty much lose any chance of renewing their contract with any sort of good faith.

It is they who need to use their current leverage to make a better deal for themselves. They should work with the Ricketts to approve some sort of signage in return for a much extended contract. Otherwise, again, they are FUCKED once their original contract expires

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 4:51 AM

Due to the complexity of this site, I wouldn't be impatient by expecting a 100% resolution of all issues and competing interests within the next few years. This is going to be a long protracted battle by the Cubs to regain 100% of game time spectator seating, which is their exclusive right.

At the same time, they are invading the turf of the local bars and clubs for the pre and post game entertainment dollars which isn't their exclusive right and I expect major push back the more they push into the non baseball vibe of the neighborhood.

Old Posted May 22, 2014, 7:39 AM

Yet another expanded Wrigley signage proposal, plus playing field modifications of getting rid of onfield bullpens and modifying out field ivy walls for bullpen placement under the bleachers.

Junking it up so it looks like every other ballpark that is walled in by signs and video boards.

Time to petition the league to get new owners who can finance the purchase, finance baseball operations, and renovate the park without all this mismanaged soap opera drama.

I used to support these people, but I was way wrong,

Old Posted May 22, 2014, 3:41 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
It's the rooftop association that is being stupid & short-sighted here. Do they not realize that in 2020 (or whatever year it is) they have absolutely nothing that protects them and the value of their business drops to ZERO? And by having such an adversarial relationship with the entity that provides them 100% of their business revenue, they pretty much lose any chance of renewing their contract with any sort of good faith.

It is they who need to use their current leverage to make a better deal for themselves. They should work with the Ricketts to approve some sort of signage in return for a much extended contract. Otherwise, again, they are FUCKED once their original contract expires
Why in the heck would they do that? They have 7 more years of profits and income they can count on. That they HAVE been counting on.

Ricketts has already shown he despises them and is most likely out to shut them down or take try to devalue their enterprise himself 7 years from now if not sooner. Maybe long term he intends to buy them out for all we know.

I am grateful to the rooftoppers. They are saving us a little bit more time at least of saving all us (especially us fans) who don't want to see a largely fugly Vegas-meets-Disney freakshow that Ricketts intends to build on the corner of Clark and Addison.

And worse off now it seems like he is just trying to use his disagreement with the rooftoppers as a bait and switch with the city. His new plan doesn't even make sense. He has cowered to the rooftoppers for 8 months because he wants assurance he isn't going to get sued so now he looks to get a new plan signed off on that allows even bigger and more signage in the outfield, more outfield seats, as well as f-up even more prior designated parts of the park like the ivy and outfield itself.

These Nebraska owners save they love and cherish Wrigley Field and its "tradition" but I really see little about it they respect or have regard for. In fact I am convinced they don't. I actually think they would probably just like to build a new ballpark but its actually CHEAPER to make minimal renovations to Wrigley and add a whole bunch of signage (which they no doubt include in the cost of "rehabbing" the park) rather then build a whole new stadium for 500-800 million somewhere.

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 3:19 AM
TL;DR

I actually don't have a problem with the renovations to the park itself. It's the office and hotel buildings that are serious architectural abortions. They can't decide whether they want to be modern or traditional (arched windows on one side, ribbon windows on the other) and they can't do either one without producing a turd. It's like they pulled something out of Robert Venturi's reject pile.

src

Last edited by ardecila; May 28, 2014 at 3:33 AM.

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 4:01 AM
Show me the blueprints

Variations on a theme park.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 4:34 AM
BANNED

Absolutely disgusting.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 10:02 PM
MPLSXCHI

The plan is okayed by the Chicago landmarks commission. Sad to see the rooftops go but still it's an improvement to the park.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 10:16 PM

Maybe it will change from the model, but one thing I can't stand about the triangle hotel addition is this adapted faux classic look. Either you build with the same modules, stylization, and detailing as what they did back then or go for a total modern look. There's this adapted look that's modern program, structural and spatial elements forced behind a veil of classical interpretation with wrongfully scaled fenestration and cheaper materials.

Actually, the stylization isn't all that complimentary to the ballpark, which was fairly utilitarian vs anything architectural.

I always thought that notre dame student proposal was pretty legit.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 3:00 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
Maybe it will change from the model, but one thing I can't stand about the triangle hotel addition is this adapted faux classic look. Either you build with the same modules, stylization, and detailing as what they did back then or go for a total modern look. There's this adapted look that's modern program, structural and spatial elements forced behind a veil of classical interpretation with wrongfully scaled fenestration and cheaper materials.

Actually, the stylization isn't all that complimentary to the ballpark, which was fairly utilitarian vs anything architectural.

I always thought that notre dame student proposal was pretty legit.
It's like they flipped through a suburban mall magazine to pick out architectural styles.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 6:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomrQT View Post
It's like they flipped through a suburban mall magazine to pick out architectural styles.
Ricketts is a Nebraskan. What do you expect?

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Ricketts is a Nebraskan. What do you expect?
Lol, I wish I could "like" this...

Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 2:45 AM

Wrigley Field renovation: Timeline of construction

Quote:
The Chicago Cubs plan to split the organization’s $375 million overhaul of the stadium — another $200 million will go toward the surrounding area — into at least two phases, according to documents and drawings the team submitted to the city prior to its July hearing when it got approval for upgraded renovations. The documents show the team plans to finish most of its stadium-related upgrades by opening day 2017. Here are some of the highlights:

PHASE 1: 2014-2015

1. Proposed Sheffield and Waveland bleacher expansions, facade: A new concrete deck will support expanded bleachers. Also included is a concessions area partially enclosed by glass walls.
2. New playing field lighting: Two light poles added — one for left field and one for right.
3. Outfield brick wall and ivy: Repairing the outfield wall involves removing ivy, rebuilding the wall and replacing the ivy.
4. Bleacher entrance and outfield bleacher deck at the bleacher gate: Moves the bleacher gate approximately 6 feet toward Waveland and Sheffield.
5. Interior signage, upper level: New LED signs and boards added on the upper level of the infield seats.
Also:

Elevators (various areas): About 10 new elevators added to access the upper levels in left and right field, as well as other areas.

PHASE 2: 2015-2016

1. Western gate: New gate allows for entrances and exits.
2. Relocation of the bullpens: Bullpens would be moved under the outfield bleachers, with existing double doors in the outfield walls being replaced by chain-link mesh.
3. Seating in areas of current bullpens: Four new rows of seating will be added on each side of the field where the bullpens are currently.
4. Visitors’ clubhouse: A new clubhouse on the club level had originally been planned for second level.
5. New service entrance on Clark Street facade: A new freight entrance added near the Clark Street entrance.
6. Ticket windows and exhaust venting on Clark Street facade and Gate F
Also:

Ramps (various areas): Some would be replaced with stairs. There will not be any escalators. Cubs will also build a new upper-level concourse connecting new open-air concession areas between the dormers along the roofline.

PLANNED FOR BOTH PHASES

-Suites: Three “bunker suites” would be added below the stands near the Cubs dugout and down the third base line. They will not have views of the field but will lead to seating areas. A spokesman said the suites’ use hasn‘t been determined.
-Caretaker’s cottage: Renovating the historic building to replicate its original appearance.
-Outfield signage: Outfield signs, including the left field Jumbotron and the proposed right field LED board, will be installed beginning in Phase 1. Other signs will be installed as they are sold — and may be challenged legally by nearby rooftop clubs.
-Modifications to foundation system and steel: Many parts of the structure will be renovated and upgraded to meet Chicago building codes. Extra support and columns will be added throughout the park. The team says that will not add more obstructed views.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 5:10 AM

Quote:
Absolutely disgusting.
Hey! There is nothing wrong with it. They want to changes. You had respect that. You have accept that. The old ball park is from the past. They want to be renovation the entire Wrigley Field. It's their job and not your decision.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 5:15 AM

We had respect nothing. We have accept nothing.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 2:23 PM

Has anyone noticed the barriers that were erected early last week along Sheffield and Waveland? They also restriped the streets to make them more narrow. I take it that they are showing what the expansion of the north and east outer walls will be like but I've not heard what the official story is. Any one know what is going on exactly?

Also, my friend/coworker that lives down the block on Sheffield keeps insisting that Sheffield is planned to be completely closed off with the new plan. I don't recall this detail, does any one have word on that? I recall that they wanted the ability to close off Sheffield on game days to have street fairs but that wouldn't be a permanent thing.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 4:57 PM
You had me at herro...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeg1985 View Post
Has anyone noticed the barriers that were erected early last week along Sheffield and Waveland? They also restriped the streets to make them more narrow. I take it that they are showing what the expansion of the north and east outer walls will be like but I've not heard what the official story is. Any one know what is going on exactly?

Also, my friend/coworker that lives down the block on Sheffield keeps insisting that Sheffield is planned to be completely closed off with the new plan. I don't recall this detail, does any one have word on that? I recall that they wanted the ability to close off Sheffield on game days to have street fairs but that wouldn't be a permanent thing.
The two roads would be much smaller with no parking. Wrigley would push out 25' towards Sheffield and 24' towards Waveland from where it is now. I hardly see how there's room for a street at all after that.

They only want to close them on game days, the rest of the time they would be open.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 6:42 PM

Thank you for clarifying. So my theory about the new barriers must be correct. If you need to see how the streets will look after they expand the walls just take a walk past the field. They've erected barriers in the street that show how wide the streets will be after the expansion.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 4:17 PM
You had me at herro...

They're shutting down Sheffield for utility relocation.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development