HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Feb 11, 2017, 11:22 PM
THAT Guy

I did come across this at one point...not sure if it's the current station design

Old Posted Feb 12, 2017, 8:54 AM

I wonder if the renewed push for an express rail link between O'Hare and downtown is an attempt to lure federal funding given Trump's stance on infrastructure. Not that I would agree that is the best use of funds... but politically it probably looks/sounds better than fixing up Red Line North or one of the other incremental improvement projects. Having a proposal ready and waiting with just funding required would increase the chance of getting such funding. Rahm knows how to play the game, after all.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2017, 3:32 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
I wonder if the renewed push for an express rail link between O'Hare and downtown is an attempt to lure federal funding given Trump's stance on infrastructure. Not that I would agree that is the best use of funds... but politically it probably looks/sounds better than fixing up Red Line North or one of the other incremental improvement projects. Having a proposal ready and waiting with just funding required would increase the chance of getting such funding. Rahm knows how to play the game, after all.
Is it shovel ready?
I don't think Trump's definition of shovel ready will be the same as Obama's.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2017, 10:08 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
Is it shovel ready?
I don't think Trump's definition of shovel ready will be the same as Obama's.
Trump hasn't released many specifics on infrastructure other than vague support for more investment. I think it's a pretty safe bet that he (personally) will prefer projects that are big, flashy, and sleek - not the shovel-ready highway widenings and rebuild projects that most state DOTs have on deck. Likely he would prefer marquee projects he can take credit for - new airport terminals, signature bridges, and yes, airport express trains where they make sense like Chicago or New York.

It would also serve business travelers and elites, which Trump (despite his rhetoric) is sure to empathize with.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Trump hasn't released many specifics on infrastructure other than vague support for more investment. I think it's a pretty safe bet that he (personally) will prefer projects that are big, flashy, and sleek - not the shovel-ready highway widenings and rebuild projects that most state DOTs have on deck. Likely he would prefer marquee projects he can take credit for - new airport terminals, signature bridges, and yes, airport express trains where they make sense like Chicago or New York.

It would also serve business travelers and elites, which Trump (despite his rhetoric) is sure to empathize with.
Ya, but we'd have to name it the Trumpmobile and have it emblazoned on each of the cars in letters so big, they block the windows.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 7:45 PM

Quote:

sorry but youre really naive. this guy has zero interest in expanding public transit. we'll be lucky if we continue to get any federal funds, period.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 10:42 PM

Rahm in DC right now talking to Kushner, for the record

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 3:29 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
sorry but youre really naive. this guy has zero interest in expanding public transit. we'll be lucky if we continue to get any federal funds, period.
It's not that clear-cut. There are three questions here - what does Trump personally think, what do his shadowy advisors think, and what can he actually accomplish given Congress?

Trump himself doesn't give a flying you-know-what about the dogma of the Republican platform. He will do what works best with his voters to show them that he is a builder president. On the campaign trail, Trump repeatedly mentioned that America needs to make more investments in intercity rail. This cuts in the face of Republican dogma; Trump doesn't care. High-speed rail is sexy and marketable in a way that regular buses, light rail, and subways are not, so I expect Trump to throw his support behind it. Likewise, an airport express train as proposed in Chicago and New York (and now LA) definitely falls on the "sexy" side of the ledger, so I don't see why Trump wouldn't support them.

Trump's advisors are a bit of an unknown - I doubt Steve Bannon would support investments in rail or public transit, but I also think transportation policy is small potatoes to him - he's more concerned with foreign relations. However, Jared Kushner seems to be the guy for domestic policy, and he is a pretty savvy New York developer like Trump who no doubt understands the importance of public transportation and intercity rail.

Congressional Republicans are just as hostile to intercity rail and public transit as they have always been, but the fact that Trump is also a Republican means that the leadership in Congress will not show the same obstructionism to Trump that they did to Obama.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 5:08 PM
Transport Planner

Quote:

Congressional Republicans are just as hostile to intercity rail and public transit as they have always been, but the fact that Trump is also a Republican means that the leadership in Congress will not show the same obstructionism to Trump that they did to Obama.
I think they could turn, if they feel there's a lack of good faith for their "wants"; particularly, on the part of Speaker Ryan.

It all depends on other public policy - and controversies.

The real question is how many Republicans would need to be massaged, and how much, while also keeping in mind how appealing any proposal put forth to appease Republicans would be to Democrats.

Obama proposed virtually everything that Trump is expected to try - as far as funding goes. That won't be lost on many voters...or Members of Congress.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 3:27 AM

DNAInfo is reporting that Rahm is in Washington asking for federal aid to help combat crime and the unemployment rate in many Chicago neighborhoods. One of the proposals Rahm is requesting is renovation of the Green Line, where many jobs would be created from revitalizing the line. Not sure what Rahm has in mind for renovation plans. Possibly restoring the Jackson Park branch to its full length?

Rahm Neighborhood Fed Wish List: Agents, Green Line Fix, After-School Help
https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2017...er-school-help

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 4:18 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
DNAInfo is reporting that Rahm is in Washington asking for federal aid to help combat crime and the unemployment rate in many Chicago neighborhoods. One of the proposals Rahm is requesting is renovation of the Green Line, where many jobs would be created from revitalizing the line. Not sure what Rahm has in mind for renovation plans. Possibly restoring the Jackson Park branch to its full length?

Rahm Neighborhood Fed Wish List: Agents, Green Line Fix, After-School Help
https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2017...er-school-help
it was just renovated 20 years ago? Shouldn't he be hard-selling full funding for the Red-Purple north, or even pushing full funding of a Clinton Subway with the full glory of a West Loop Transportation Center coupled with HSR to St Louis, Detroit or Cleveland, MSP, Indy+Cincy? AND full funding for all those rail delay removal projects?

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 4:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
it was just renovated 20 years ago? Shouldn't he be hard-selling full funding for the Red-Purple north, or even pushing full funding of a Clinton Subway with the full glory of a West Loop Transportation Center coupled with HSR to St Louis, Detroit or Cleveland, MSP, Indy+Cincy? AND full funding for all those rail delay removal projects?
The Sun Times was more specific by saying that Rahm is seeking renovation of the south leg, and its two branches. Still does seem odd to ask for a renovation only 20 years later, especially when the Green Line runs pretty smoothly for most of the stretch. Then again, Rahm is two years from the election and he may be trying to appeal to mid-South Side residents. But if that was the case, it would be much better use of funds to convert the MED to a true rapid transit line.

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/ema...ta-green-line/

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 4:53 AM

Greg Hinz also points out that the Green Line was rebuilt two decades ago (but did that cover the south side branches too?). And he also passes on a statement by a spokesman about the Rahm-logic in proposing this: "Rebuilding the Green Line is one way the administration could 'send in the feds,' create jobs, and help improve public safety..." (Translation: Not much idea about fixing crime, but we can pretend we're spending tons of money trying, and also have something new and shiny to show black voters in the next election.)

Emanuel's D.C. wish list: More anti-crime help, Green Line rebuild

Reader comments include Mike Payne angst about yet another infrastructure decision that ignores the Gray Line.

(Edit: I see Randomguy also did the Rahm-logic translation, plus he covered the Gray Line angle too.)

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 5:08 AM

Fwiw, I do see both Trump and Rahm as fairly seriously disposed to getting an airport express built. Whether their dedication is enough to overcome whatever the biggest hurdles will be, I have no idea, but I think they're serious about looking at it. And with the all-new ORD T2 on the cusp of planning and design, the Dept of Aviation also could direct some efforts at a possible airport express project at a moment of perfect timing. (Union Station redevelopment adds to this rare syzygy.) It could flop for various reasons along the way, but things are aligned right now more than they ever have been.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 5:45 AM
My Mind Has Left My Body

The one interesting tidbit from the latest declarations about the OHare express are the released images that portray the O'Hare express terminal station being located between the current O'Hare Hilton and the ATS Terminal 2 station.

If T2 does end up serving as the primary security/customs terminal gateway for the airport that actually makes a good deal of sense. Now what route the tracks take to get to that location I'm not sure. What I really ponder is how at the very end of its journey it will get around the Hilton. Unless it shares the ATS tracks for a small segment I don't see anyway for the express to reach that spot.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 7:13 AM

Do you have a link to the image are you referring to? If that's not just a new ATS station then presumably it involves a new tunnel. If they're going to end up using the Canadian National tracks, and if they end up undertaking something really ambitious, they could branch off between Schiller Park and Rosemont, head west on a viaduct or underground, and then go underground. That would be like 1.7 miles to the Hilton area, although there are various stretches where cut-and-cover seems possible (including alongside a taxiway if feasible). Quite expensive but I don't know if a straight TBM could be cheaper than a circuitous alternative that deals with endless acrobatics of threading around or relocating other roads, utilities, etc. Unfortunately there's also the cost of the station. So the govt would really have to have decided this was a very important investment for the region's future. But that particular spot of T2 is so central that you could end up with a link with downtown that's so comfortable, fast and painless that it becomes the overwhelming default choice for most trips. (They could then further nudge people out of cars by adding a toll or livery surcharge for the airport roadway.)

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 9:21 AM
My Mind Has Left My Body

It's obviously a very preliminary place-holder design but still interesting to see where the planner's minds are first heading.....

via Chicago Reader via the City of Chicago

http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago...t?oid=21215854

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 1:55 PM

Looks like a colossal waste of money. For the money you would be better off connecting Brown to Blue and triple tracking most of the way out to O'hare from there. THAT would provide much better access to O'hare AND add a lot of value to the everyday riders along those routes. I have no idea the obsession with the express train. It is just not worth it in my book.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 View Post
Looks like a colossal waste of money. For the money you would be better off connecting Brown to Blue and triple tracking most of the way out to O'hare from there. THAT would provide much better access to O'hare AND add a lot of value to the everyday riders along those routes. I have no idea the obsession with the express train. It is just not worth it in my book.
Tripple tracking with what land/area/space?

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 3:41 PM

well silly they simply need to rebuild the roadway at the same time...duh! 8) Honestly, i do not know enough about train frequency or how many spots you would need a third track to allow for express but if you are going to spend a ton of money ....this is where i would put my dollars.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation