HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Aug 3, 2022, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
Found 2 demo permits (DEM-T889510, DEM-T889505) and 2 demo plan reviews (DAPP-2200230, DAPP-2200231). All are linked to project # 04-468. Old project number and I can't really find anything submitted on that project number since 2012.
Its a new alliance residential broadstone community. I believe a 5-story wrap project.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2022, 7:23 PM
Skyriser

Not really a good sign they're doing the demolition without a more concrete plan review in place. The old project number doesn't point to the current product.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2022, 11:06 PM

"Reserved" Parking for WUC

If this is wrong place to ask about parking requirements for WUC, please delete. If ok:

Phoenix Code 702(C) states that if parking spaces are "reserved" for residents only, additional spaces are required.

I've noticed several developments zoned WUC which specifically have garages "reserved" for residents only are not factoring in the additional spaces. (I'm aware of the 25% reduction for WUC and I'm not talking about that.)

When I asked the City for clarification on what qualified as "reserved", an engineer responded with the following:

"A reserved space is defined as a spaces that is designated for a specific unit."

I'm struggling to reconcile the definition given based on the context and definitions used elsewhere in the Code. While the Code doesn't define "reserved", it defines " unreserved:

"An unassigned parking space that is available to both residents and visitors."

If unreserved is for both residents and visitors, wouldn't anything else be considered "reserved"? Further, the use of "unassigned" illustrates that the writer was aware that assignment of a space is separate and different than reservation of a space.

Am I missing something or are these developments getting a 25% WUC reduction and another roughly 33% reduction based on an incorrect definition of "reserved?

I'm not arguing the validity of the reasoning or how much parking is actually needed. I'm just asking about the correct reading and definition based on the Code.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2022, 9:01 AM
Skyriser

^

This technically isn't the right place to ask, but whatever.

I'm not sure what the confusion is other than that you might be reading too much into things.

Any apartment complex in Phoenix is required by the Code to provide reserved/assigned parking based on the number of bedrooms.

Unreserved/unassigned parking is typically visitor parking but that includes residents that have additional cars. It's a built in buffer, that's all.

That's all defined by Section 702(C) of the zoning code which you pointed out.

The WU code is pretty clear in table 1307.1. It allows for a flat reduction for all off-street spaces, assigned and visitor, given a specific distance from a light rail station.

It's also basically immaterial, zoning is more or less a formality in Phoenix. Planning Staff will point out these kind of discrepancies as part of their recommendation to Village Planning Committees, Planning Commission, and City Council. I can't remember any rezoning case or variance on existing zoning where parking provided raised a Staff concern on one side or another. It's market/developer driven.

Last edited by combusean; Aug 5, 2022 at 9:11 AM.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 9:51 PM

Luxury Apartments May Replace Warehouse District Office Bldg.

Such a shame that Lincoln Union is getting re-purposed into apartments. It was such a cool space and building. Maybe just a blip but doesn't bode well for office leasing in the Warehouse District if this project remained empty even after improvements a little bit over a year ago.

That being said, 356 residential units coming into the Warehouse District is a big plus and one less parking lot to see.

https://azbex.com/planning-developme...t-office-bldg/
Quote:
A vacant office development on 6.74 acres at the SWC of Lincoln and 5th streets in downtown Phoenix is poised for redevelopment into a 356-unit multifamily development under a proposal from Trinsic Residential Group.

According to the submitted project narrative, the site is currently occupied by a 62.9KSF office development and a surface parking lot. The two-story Lincoln Union office space was an adaptive reuse project that transformed an earlier warehouse in January 2020. Tenant improvements were completed in February 2021 on roughly 11.6KSF as a model office to showcase the building’s potential for prospective future clients. The property has remained unleased and vacant.

A site plan review proposal for Aura Lincoln Union was submitted this May for modification of the existing building as well as new construction that will deliver 82 studios, 202-one-bedroom and 70 two-bedroom units. There is a discrepancy between the various documents on file as to whether the final count will be 354 or 356 units. Since the site plan and fee sheet claim 356, DATABEX will use that as the official count unless and until notified otherwise.

The project narrative states, “The proposed development will be a combination of new construction on the portion of the site that is currently a surface parking lot and modification of the existing Lincoln Union building. The existing Lincoln Union building will be converted into two floors of residences with a large indoor recreational area on the north side taking advantage of the existing 20-foot clear height ceilings in that part of the building. The existing courtyards on the west side of the building will connect to two new courtyards that will bisect portions of the building.

“Along Grant Street and Third Street, new four-story residential buildings will be constructed, wrapping around a six-story parking structure that is accessed via Lincoln Street. Residential units along Third Street will be constructed around three street-facing courtyards to provide usable open space and visual interest along the street.”

The narrative goes on to emphasize the benefit the proposed project will bring to the Warehouse District by adding new high-quality residential space. It says the area has seen innovative growth in office and coworking spaces in the last several years, but that a residential component is a necessary addition to foster continued investment.

The narrative closes by saying, “This development will lead the next phase of development and investment in the Warehouse District.”

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 10:04 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Not really a good sign they're doing the demolition without a more concrete plan review in place. The old project number doesn't point to the current product.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RE View Post
Its a new alliance residential broadstone community. I believe a 5-story wrap project.
I feel silly on this. Apparently I already knew about this development and saw it as I was reviewing my upcoming projects. The development is called Magnolia at 7th and will be what Mr. Re stated above.

Project # is 22-1616 and does have a Fact and SDEV have been submitted, but no other permits. Not sure why they linked the demo permits to an older project number.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Such a shame that Lincoln Union is getting re-purposed into apartments. It was such a cool space and building. Maybe just a blip but doesn't bode well for office leasing in the Warehouse District if this project remained empty even after improvements a little bit over a year ago.

That being said, 356 residential units coming into the Warehouse District is a big plus and one less parking lot to see.

https://azbex.com/planning-developme...t-office-bldg/
Hmmm well at least the building is not being flattened.

Unfortunately offices will not a pay premium for downtown unless downtown has the cache to command it.

Tempe didnt get widespread office development until it got a cool rep, most of the high value law firms, finance companies and tech companies locate in Scottsdale because its Scottsdale.

Phoenix is just now breaking out into broader understanding as a cool area. The offices will come.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 5:10 PM

PUD for another 4-story apartment project at 22nd St./Indian School:

https://www.phoenix.gov/pddsite/Docu...PZ/Z-56-22.pdf

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 9:36 PM
Modulator

Rainbow Road Apartments

Proposed 4 story multi-family at the SWC of Portland and 1st St. This is going in the location of the former Atari Hotel proposal. Architect is Lev Libeskind, son of Daniel Libeskind. It's OK, but I can't help but think that coming from a Libeskind, the project should have a little more oomph to it. This was originally proposed at 10 floors in the original fact.

View project docs on my Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde..._i?usp=sharing

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Proposed 4 story multi-family at the SWC of Portland and 1st St. This is going in the location of the former Atari Hotel proposal. Architect is Lev Libeskind, son of Daniel Libeskind. It's OK, but I can't help but think that coming from a Libeskind, the project should have a little more oomph to it. This was originally proposed at 10 floors in the original fact.

View project docs on my Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde..._i?usp=sharing
Its cool enough looking that I dont mind the size, There just isnt a ton of office demand downtown right now.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 11:54 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Its cool enough looking that I dont mind the size, There just isnt a ton of office demand downtown right now.
It's not office. It's residential.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2022, 12:26 AM
Modulator

320 E Virginia

Nice 5 story infill development on Virginia. Midtown continues to impress. Don't ask about the weird rendering perspective. It's not really going to be angled like that.

Full project details on my Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...Mn?usp=sharing

Old Posted Aug 13, 2022, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Nice 5 story infill development on Virginia. Midtown continues to impress.
Very nice! With this, the multifamily on the SWC of 7th St/Windsor and the large MF on the NWC of 7th St/Oak, my hope is for upward pressure that ultimately means the fall of Bandaids on the SWC of 7th St/Virginia. It would be amazing if that could go away for a new development.

I then wonder if sometime in the not too far distant future Techniprint (SEC 7th St/Virginia) combined with the empty lot to its south may be replaced with a nice new multifamily or mixed use project. There are lots of little restaurants and business along 7th St, a mixed use project here to include more small spaces for additional spots could bring basic cohesion all the way from Virginia to Palm almost to McDowell. Ultimately Thomas to McDowell (anchored by the Phoenix Country Club condo building to the north, is that still in the pipeline?).

All of that would be amazing for 7th St overall and may bring ultimate change to the street itself.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 11:11 PM

Edison Midtown ends 6-year pause on construction

Nothing we didn't already know yet...

https://azbigmedia.com/real-estate/e...-construction/

Quote:
On Aug. 8, Ameris Construction celebrated the commencement of construction on Edison Midtown Phase II with a groundbreaking ceremony. The 60-unit multifamily development is located at 3131 North Central Avenue in the heart of the Midtown neighborhood of Phoenix. The development will complete the project along with the existing Edison Midtown Phase I, which opened in 2018. Edison Midtown Phase II is being developed by Tannin Developments.

Dale Regehr, of Tannin Developments, said, “It’s a great time to build a new construction, multifamily for-sale product. There is very little of this type of inventory in the market at the present time. I am very excited with this luxury project, which is in the bustling Midtown Phoenix area, which will offer beautiful new condominium homes with fabulous amenities.”

Phase II will complete the Edison Midtown development. An additional five stories of luxury condominiums will be built over-podium of the existing two levels of parking. The condominiums will consist of one bedroom, two-bedroom, and two-bedroom plus den units. With construction now underway, the project is estimated to be completed in summer 2023.

Located in the heart of Phoenix’s food and business district, Edison Midtown Phase I is currently sold out under the sales management of Jim and Marilyn Cavanaugh, Cavanaugh Luxury Group, with The Agency. The Cavanaugh’s are managing sales and marketing for Phase II. To date, 20 of the 60 condominiums in Phase II are pre-sold.

Multifamily-focused builder, Ameris Construction, will be the general contractor for the project. “We are thrilled to be able to complete a project that’s been on pause for nearly 6 years now. This will be the only for-sale product in downtown Phoenix at the time of completion – which is a big deal in today’s real estate market,” said Ameris Construction President and Partner, Chris Jones.

The luxury condos feature 10-ft. and 11-ft. ceilings, hard surface flooring throughout, spacious kitchens with stainless steel appliances and quartz countertops. Across from Edison Midtown is Park Central, and the newly opened Creighton University Medical School, as well as many other popular dining and retail outlets. The location is also conveniently within a 1-mile radius of health centers and hospitals. For ease of transportation for owners, the community features electric vehicle charging stations and easy access to the Valley Metro Light Rail.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 3:20 AM
Skyriser

It's wild that they're continuing with the same design after all the defects in the first. And that 20 buyers have already lined up like there's going to be no problems with the final product.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
It's wild that they're continuing with the same design after all the defects in the first. And that 20 buyers have already lined up like there's going to be no problems with the final product.
What problems did the first phase have besides being built like apartments We definitely need more projects like this. We barely have a couple handful of condos like this to buy in and around downtown.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPHXskyscraperfan View Post
What problems did the first phase have besides being built like apartments We definitely need more projects like this. We barely have a couple handful of condos like this to buy in and around downtown.
Go stand on the sidewalk and look at it, every angle is crooked. Also, there is no central chiller so each unit literally has an air conditioning unit on the roof.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
Also, there is no central chiller so each unit literally has an air conditioning unit on the roof.
That's a luxury as far as I am concerned. Are you considering it a negative?

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
Yeah my condo has unit specific air I would hate being at the mercy of my property manager.

No effin way man .

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 6:40 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPHXskyscraperfan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
Go stand on the sidewalk and look at it, every angle is crooked. Also, there is no central chiller so each unit literally has an air conditioning unit on the roof.
Condo's such as this should not be made out of wood framing. I can't imagine the creaks and noises the residents need to endure living there. That and the cheap façade contribute to a very lackluster condo development.

Deco had also just previously finished building Envy in Scottsdale prior to building Edison and it's a damn shame that the developers thought that Midtown Phoenix could not have the same quality midrise condo that Scottsdale received. One Lexington is right next door has no issue selling units when they become available at nearly twice the price as Edison. Edison should have been built as a higher quality development.

I can see it most likely being converted to rentals down the road as it ages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
This is a plus.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest