HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 5:45 PM

Hance Park opens new Fiesta Bowl PLAY

Let's get the next phases going!

Quote:
Completion of the $8.6 million phase 1A of the Margaret T. Hance Park Revitalization Project was celebrated by the Hance Park Partner Coalition on Tuesday, December 15 with a ribbon-cutting ceremony for the “Fiesta Bowl PLAY at Hance Park.”

The 20,000-square-foot PLAY is the centerpiece of this opening phase of the park’s renovation and was made possible thanks to a $2 million legacy gift from the Fiesta Bowl and supporting partners. The grand opening of PLAY comes in conjunction with the Fiesta Bowl’s 50th Anniversary, and its community efforts will live on through this one-of-a-kind play area for millions to enjoy for years to come.
https://azbigmedia.com/lifestyle/han...sta-bowl-play/

Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Just walked through this! It's nice, but I'm a little disappointed there's not more trees. The rendering lied to me! XD

But I'm definitely looking forward to the other phases starting!

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 4:09 PM

Hance Park Phase 1 Time lapse

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 5:10 PM

Waste of time and money

If it doesn't have drawing power like major water elements (I mean big time water features not just some over imitated thing that spits out a little water for kids to run around in) and trees (multi layered canopies of trees).

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 4:31 PM

A Former Firehouse at Hance Park Could Be Converted Into a New Restaurant

Quote:
Well that's a damn bummer

Switching gears, here's the agenda for DVC this Saturday:
  • Downtown Community Development Funds ~ Jeff Sherman (10 minutes)
  • FireHouse (Hance Park) RFP ~ Heather Rasmussen, City of Phoenix CED (20 minutes)
  • American Legion Post #1 RFP (selected developer) ~ Heather Rasmussen, City of Phoenix CED (30 minutes)
  • ZA-227-21 re 2816 N. 7th Ave. (Duke’s Photography) ~ JB Baber, HP & Neighborhoods Subcommittee (20 minutes)

It looks like the FireHouse RFP is not up yet on the City's website but really want to see an awesome concept go there. Also, the selected bid for American Legion Post #1 RFP is crap so not expecting much there lol
Article up about the proposed RFP. Nice to see this moving but an anticipated opening date of Spring 2023? WTF

Quote:
The city plans to seek a “full-service, high-quality dining experience,” according to slides Rasmussen shared during Saturday’s meeting. For now, the city has identified minimum qualifications for people who want to throw their hat into the ring, including the following: “Each proposing team must have experience with adaptive reuse development and operating a full-service restaurant.”

The city has a working timeline for moving the project forward, in the event the RFP is a go. According to Rasmussen’s presentation, it could release the RFP this summer, with a fall deadline for proposals. Under that scenario, the city would announce which proposal they recommend by late 2021. Construction of permanent operations would likely happen in spring 2023.
https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/rest...x-rfp-11553638

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 5:00 PM
Skyriser

Well, they said construction would begin in 2023.

That gives them time to pick the lamest proposal, have the developer drag his feet because he has nothing really invested beyond a small deposit, fail/lose interest like they always do, rinse, repeat, so maybe 2023 is optimistic.

It's beyond annoying that the city can't come up with a better process around this. I would be banging on Mackay's door if I knew they'd listen--the lack of accountability is a joke.

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 6:49 PM

it would be nice if when the get the restaurant in they restart the fountains between it and the library. i never got to see them run before they shut them down due to people bathing in them

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 3:26 AM

Quote:
Article up about the proposed RFP. Nice to see this moving but an anticipated opening date of Spring 2023? WTF

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/rest...x-rfp-11553638

Old Station 4. Even before my time

Old Posted Aug 1, 2022, 10:11 PM

Long vacant downtown Phoenix firehouse may see new life as a restaurant

The city's RFP process is so sloooooow...I feel like we've been talking about the proposed Firehouse rehab into restaurant for years.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...t/10149646002/

Quote:
Phoenix officials are hoping to snag a developer interested in turning a long vacant firehouse into a restaurant.

The firehouse south of Margaret T. Hance Park in downtown Phoenix was built in 1951, but it hasn’t operated as a fire station since the 1970s. The city has used the building for storage and some events, but they're hoping the growing restaurant and bar scene in the Roosevelt Row Arts District could mean new life for the building.

The 32-acre Hance Park sits atop Interstate 10's Deck Park Tunnel, just west of Central Avenue between McDowell Road and Roosevelt Street. The vacant station is at the southern edge of the park.

"It’s an incredible setting and an opportunity to pay homage to a really cool building," said Xandon Keating, deputy director of Phoenix community and economic development.

The city is seeking proposals from developers through Sept. 20.

The firehouse is about 4,500 square feet of indoor space and has an outdoor yard that could be used for a dining patio, with about 3,000 square feet.
The city's request for proposals asks developers to:
  • preserve as much of the building's character as possible.
  • expose the original brick.
  • and incorporate the building’s past life as a firehouse into the design, like using some existing features as art pieces.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2022, 10:31 PM
Modulator

Yea, I was surprised to read that article over the weekend. I thought the proposed development had actually died. Phoenix needs to revamp the RFP process. A restaurant development should not take nearly this long.

Hope to see it happen though.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2022, 11:02 PM
Skyriser

You only have to scroll up to see how much they biffed this process already.

Quote:
The city has a working timeline for moving the project forward, in the event the RFP is a go. According to Rasmussen’s presentation, it could release the RFP this summer, with a fall deadline for proposals. Under that scenario, the city would announce which proposal they recommend by late 2021. Construction of permanent operations would likely happen in spring 2023.
They're literally a year late on the first step of the process.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2023, 4:06 AM

Hance Park renovation; west side of Central.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2023, 4:48 PM

Any word on if the renovations will be done in time for the SB—at least on the east side of the park? With the park sealed off in various segments, thinking how visitors might get confused with live music planned in a few weeks. Then M3F in March.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2023, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
Any word on if the renovations will be done in time for the SB—at least on the east side of the park? With the park sealed off in various segments, thinking how visitors might get confused with live music planned in a few weeks. Then M3F in March.
I didn't get a picture of the east side but it looks done, they have planted all new grass that looks as nice as TPC of Scottsdale, it's still fenced off so it's literally in perfect condition. I'm thinking the west side I did take a pic of above will easily be done in a few weeks. It appears all underground work is done, drip system etc... and they're just going to finish planting.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2023, 12:43 AM

Here's some from the west side...

https://twitter.com/CityofPhoenixAZ

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*

Old Posted Jan 18, 2023, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
I didn't get a picture of the east side but it looks done, they have planted all new grass that looks as nice as TPC of Scottsdale, it's still fenced off so it's literally in perfect condition. I'm thinking the west side I did take a pic of above will easily be done in a few weeks. It appears all underground work is done, drip system etc... and they're just going to finish planting.
The east side was completely trashed after the last music festival happened on waterlogged grass. It was a mud bath, and they rolled out new turf and fences so that it will be perfect for the Supebowl concerts and viewing party at the park.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 2:45 AM

This view is looking good, would be so cool to see more taller buildings line the north side of the park.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2023, 6:01 PM

Firehouse RFP

Received a copy of the winning proposal and here are some details. Like I mentioned in a previous thread, the winning proposal is The Poolhouse Group (behind Gadzooks, etc). Restaurant group is also opening up a "Pool Boy Taco" at Park Central soon.

The $5M Firehouse revitalization project should activate the park from morning to evening. Interesting concept, hopefully it's succesful:

Quote:
With the ongoing revitalization of Downtown Phoenix and Hance Park, Poolhouse Group views the Firehouse at Hance Park (“Firehouse”) to be THE destination while experiencing what Downtown Phoenix has to offer.
The Firehouse needs to be unique and differentiated, where there is nothing like it in metro Phoenix – helping bring to life the desired walkability of Hance Park and complementing the ongoing efforts to recreate Hance Park as a true, urban park/destination.

Poolhouse Group proposes to transform the Firehouse into a modern day, southwest tortilleria restaurant and market, which ties directly into the history of Phoenix and activates Hance Park into a morning through evening place to be. The Firehouse will be a restaurant that is uniquely Phoenix and a point of pride for the city. Poolhouse Group’s philosophy is to create a tortilleria that is a magical showcase of craftsmanship that encompasses visitors with all their senses – sight, smell, taste, touch. The Firehouse will be reminiscent of the pastry kitchens of France and the great bread shops of Gjusta and Boudin in California – but celebrating the tortilla.

The Firehouse will bring people to Hance Park for a morning coffee and breakfast, a mid-day lunch with local beer and southwestern fare, and an evening destination for cocktails and delicious tacos, tapas, and other southwestern delights. Park visitors will be able to shop at the market to find local gifts or use a to-go window to grab freshly prepared food for a picnic. After families enjoy PLAY at Hance Park, Burton Barr Central Library, or a performance at the Great Arizona Puppet Theater, they may sit inside or outside at the Firehouse for breakfast or brunch. Area residents can bring their pets to relax on the patio while enjoying beverages and food with friends. Evenings will bring an atmosphere appropriate for date night, celebrations, or dinner before an event Downtown.
RFP Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/15Vx...ew?usp=sharing

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 4:15 AM

https://dtphx.org/2023/02/01/new-com...per-bowl-lvii/

The ‘community garden’ was unveiled today—guess that means the west side of Hance should be finally be accessible.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 5:50 PM

Hance looks really great. Even though the revitalization is not the grand idea it once was, it is really exciting to see it so activated. Saw more people this past weekend enjoying the park than I ever have before. The fact that there are protected bike lanes that lead right to it now on both sides made it so much easier for me to access by bike.

The towers encroaching from the south make it feel like a real urban park that can genuinely hold it's ground against almost any other in the country. Can't wait to see what the east side has in store with the integration with our iconic central library and the housing on both the north and south sides. I think we genuinely have something to be proud of in Hance.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest