HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 31, 2021, 7:44 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
They don’t need anything of the sort, it’s just a norm, and stability doesn’t necessarily come from their physical geographic location. Plus there’s a lot to be gained by experiencing different cultures and places as a child.

It’s just the damn schools that are an issue.
I moved around a lot as a kid and no, kids lose that stability in socialization. I had no friends in elementary school.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2021, 7:48 PM
The City

Quote:
They don’t need anything of the sort, it’s just a norm, and stability doesn’t necessarily come from their physical geographic location. Plus there’s a lot to be gained by experiencing different cultures and places as a child.

It’s just the damn schools that are an issue.

What buffoonery. I love all of these self-absorbed single guys who swear that when they have hypothetical kids, they are going to do things a certain way, damn it! Never fails

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Oct 31, 2021, 8:11 PM
Resu Deretsiger

^Follow the pseudoscience and get aligned, so you don't need any vaccines or masks.
Per wiki
Quote:
A chiropractor may have a Doctor of Chiropractic (D.C.) degree and be referred to as "doctor" but is not a Doctor of Medicine (M.D.)[6]
Quote:
Despite these recommendations, a small but vocal and influential number of chiropractors spread anti-vaccine disinformation.[33]
source

Old Posted Oct 31, 2021, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I think if Donald Trump had kept up a message like "everybody wear masks, they'll stop the virus dead in its tracks, it's gonna be great!" in the spring of 2020 opinions wouldn't have flipped (since there is so much wiggle room since the data is poor) so much and focusing on limitations of masks like the efficacy of cloth mask in preventing aerosol transmission would feel more reasonable to more people. To most people this is mostly sentiment based, with the covid interventions they do or don't like being like picking a sports team (and it's social/tribal in the same way you might want to follow the local sports team).

Like I said I do think the masks have some effect and it depends on the person. So maybe if you are older and worried you should wear an N95 (cloth not being good enough) while if you're low risk and vaccinated cloth is okay (just to satisfy the mandate, but it's probably not doing much).

I agree as usual the end goal is not really clear. Just as most people pick their preferred regime based on sentiment, politicians monitor public sentiment to decide what to do, and there is not necessarily much rhyme or reason to how it will evolve. Some people seem to want indefinite mask wearing, others argue it should be done while we are in crisis mode and we seem to be in perpetual crisis. Not sure what the cutoff should be here but I don't think it makes sense to wait for 0 covid because there is no clear path to 0 covid and it may never happen.
People learn things. If you go back and read what was being published about covid in early 2020, it's amazing how much we've learned. I think it's wrong to blame the Trump Administration for what has turned out to be misinformation about masks. I keep referring to it because it's terribly informative but former FDA Director Scott Gottlieb's book makes it clear the CDC was the source of much of the misinformation, then and now, and the Trump Administration, like the Biden Administration, was parroting mainly what they were being told by these supposed "experts".

But we have since learned:

1. SARS-CoV-2 is spread mostly by aerosol and/or exhaled droplet transmission. Surfaces are NOT a major factor, unlike with flu.

2. Cloth masks significantly prevent exhalation of droplets. Less so for aerosols but still possibly some benefit. Multiple layer cloth masks work significantly better than single layer ones (like the bandanas the "cool people" seem to love), especially for aerosols.

3. While multiple layer cloth masks may work nearly as well as N95s to prevent exhalation of transmissible particles, thus preventing others from being infected, N95s work best for self-protection. Therefore, if the goal were simply minimizing the virus in the air, multiple layer cloth masks like most people wear these days would be adequate but if you want to protect yourself maximally, wear an N95 or (my preference) a KN95 (I find popping them on and off as I do easiest with the ear loops rather than around-the head straps of the N95).

4. The "cut-off" has been defined in CA as being in the CDC's "moderate" transmission category which means from 10 to 50 new cases per 100,000 people in the last seven days. The state lifts mask mandates at that level or below. Other states differ but basing mandates on the level of viral transmission makes sense to me. People wishing to protect themselves can continue to wear an N95/KN95 when and where they choose (and I'll repeat that personally I find popping a KN95 on my face when entering a store and taking it off when leaving almost no burden at all so at least for now I intend to keep doing it).

Old Posted Oct 31, 2021, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWAK View Post
^Follow the pseudoscience and get aligned, so you don't need any vaccines or masks.
Per wiki
A chiropractor may have a Doctor of Chiropractic (D.C.) degree and be referred to as "doctor" but is not a Doctor of Medicine (M.D.)[6]
Despite these recommendations, a small but vocal and influential number of chiropractors spread anti-vaccine disinformation.[33]
CA (and other states so far as I know) licenses people holding M.D. (Doctor of Medicine) and D.O. (Doctor of Osteopathy) degrees to practice "Medicine and Surgery". Doctor of Chiropractic holders are in a different category and are licensed to practice Chiropractic, not Medicine and Surgery.

I will admit that details of the training of a D.O. are somewhat a mystery to me but supposedly they cover enough of the basic sciences and other skill sets as are covered in M.D. training to be adequately equivalent. Also, many D.O.s do post-graduate training alongside M.D.s so ultimately they have much the same competence.

But none of this is true for D.C.s.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2021, 10:28 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
4. The "cut-off" has been defined in CA as being in the CDC's "moderate" transmission category which means from 10 to 50 new cases per 100,000 people in the last seven days.
Perhaps this is an area where norms in the US are more reasonable than Canada. We are in the 10-20 per 100,000 per day range here with an indefinite mask mandate in place right now (and some people here arguing this rate means things are off the rails here). Quebec actually had curfews (police stop and ticket you after 8 pm or whatever it was) until late May when they were under 20/100k and falling.

We have or had a mask mandate in place inside restaurants that also use the vaccine passport system. Of course everybody unmasks while eating/socializing at their table for hours. I doubt the partial masking in this setting is a big public health victory. I think they might have gotten rid of the masking and table service aspect at this point.

I still hear officials here talk in terms of "doing whatever we can" instead of trade-offs. I consider the cross-border testing with the US (some of which obviously can't even work, like doing a PCR test before/during a 2 hour road trip to prove you didn't get covid during said trip) to be in this category. Usually somebody else pays the cost and these are just government requirements, not services.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2021, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
I moved around a lot as a kid and no, kids lose that stability in socialization. I had no friends in elementary school.
No one I know is still friends or even in touch with people they knew in elementary school. It doesn’t matter. It’s absurd for adults to be stuck in one place so that a 6-year-old doesn’t lose touch with the same other 6-year-olds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
What buffoonery. I love all of these self-absorbed single guys who swear that when they have hypothetical kids, they are going to do things a certain way, damn it! Never fails
My wife is on the same page and it’s all written down.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Nov 1, 2021, 1:05 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
No one I know is still friends or even in touch with people they knew in elementary school.
it's not about still having elementary school friends when you're in your 40s*, it's about your kids forming friendships at that time when they are in school. it's very important for their social development.

my wife's father was a big-time corporate climber who dragged his family around the world on new assignments every several years. my wife HATED IT and has said that she felt like she never had many real friends growing up because every time she finally felt like she was beginning to settle into a social scene at a given school, her family would move again to a new city and she'd have to be "the new girl in class" and start all over again.

however, it sounds like what you're describing is quite different - having a home base but taking extended trips to other places at various times throughout the year. that probably wouldn't be a very big deal to a child, and wouldn't likely have a major impact on their childhood friendship formations.

(*) that said, i still have some childhood friends and it is fun to have serious history like that with people. i've known my best friend since i was born, he's basically a brother to me cause i don't have one of my own (my only sibling is an older sister). i certainly don't think it's critical for everyone to maintain their childhood friendships into old age like i have, but it is a nice perk of staying in one place your whole life.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2021, 5:03 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
it's not about still having elementary school friends when you're in your 40s*, it's about your kids forming friendships at that time when they are in school. it's very important for their social development.

my wife's father was a big-time corporate climber who dragged his family around the world on new assignments every several years. my wife HATED IT and has said that she felt like she never had many real friends growing up because every time she finally felt like she was beginning to settle into a social scene at a given school, her family would move again to a new city and she'd have to be "the new girl in class" and start all over again.

however, it sounds like what you're describing is quite different - having a home base but taking extended trips to other places at various times throughout the year. that probably wouldn't be a very big deal to a child, and wouldn't likely have a major impact on their childhood friendship formations.

(*) that said, i still have some childhood friends and it is fun to have serious history like that with people. i've known my best friend since i was born, he's basically a brother to me cause i don't have one of my own (my only sibling is an older sister). i certainly don't think it's critical for everyone to maintain their childhood friendships into old age like i have, but it is a nice perk of staying in one place your whole life.
I moved around quite a bit for my dad's job when I was in elementary school. I hated it. Was always the new kid, had trouble making friends and was even bullied.

By the time I got to high school my family was more settled down in one area. But I was still insecure about making friends in the early years of secondary.

Towards the end things took off though, and I've been super-sociable ever since.

Though I have to say that at one point I lived in an area with lots of army brats (though I wasn't one) and they moved even more than I did. Not all of them saw it as a negative experience. Some of them really liked it.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2021, 9:58 AM

I’m not talking about moving around like an army brat (through I also could not imagine living in one city for 20+ years), more of a seasonal thing. Winter in Miami, early fall and late spring in London/NYC, July and August somewhere nice (ideally Med). Certainly spending summers away from where you’re based the rest of the year. There’s no place on Earth where I can be happy year round (maybe LA but that’s too far from everywhere, and I don’t really like LA).

People need to stop worrying about how others tell them they have to do things. You don’t have to move to the suburbs and let kids dictate every aspect of your life for 20 years. Miserable, unhappy parents aren’t good for kids either.

But back to the thread subject - if there should be one lasting impact of this whole Covid shitshow, it should be a loosening of our ties to specific geographies for work, and there’s no reason this shouldn’t apply to kids as well. In fact what I have in mind is better than the “army brat” scenario because at least they’re in the same place seeing the same friends for the 4-5 months of the year that you’re in a particular place each year. It’s kind of like boarding school.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Last edited by 10023; Nov 1, 2021 at 10:09 AM.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2021, 1:21 PM

Quote:

But back to the thread subject - if there should be one lasting impact of this whole Covid shitshow, it should be a loosening of our ties to specific geographies for work
Agreed 100% here.

I have had a few interviews over the last couple of months where a few groups wanted me to move to NY/London for a job, and I politely said no since much of my work can be done remotely. I don't mind spending an amount of time somewhere to get spunup with a group, but I don't see why I need to uproot and anchor myself to a city that's not at the top of my list of places I want to live.

This indeed is one good thing to come from the pandemic...

Old Posted Nov 1, 2021, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
Agreed 100% here.

I have had a few interviews over the last couple of months where a few groups wanted me to move to NY/London for a job, and I politely said no since much of my work can be done remotely. I don't mind spending an amount of time somewhere to get spunup with a group, but I don't see why I need to uproot and anchor myself to a city that's not at the top of my list of places I want to live.

This indeed is one good thing to come from the pandemic...

Exactly.

Also, suburban towns aren’t all dreary, cookie-cutter hell holes. When we moved to this south shore suburb of Montreal 3 years ago, our life in the city was pretty good, except for lack of space , and opportunities to expand on our little Victorian house. We chose to shop around and found a reasonably priced house where the equivalent on the island of Montreal would have been unaffordable.

We are on a lakefront and I am replacing an old garage with a new one with a studio space to paint in.

While the inner city presents a whole lot of options, the traffic, and other annoyances makes my occcasional trips to the city worthwhile and less painful.
Off rush hour trips are near 30 minutes by car to downtown. In other words, the city is still there, minus the treadmill effect.

I wouldn’t trade my view of the lake for any of the posher streets in Westmount, Outremont.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2021, 3:28 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by montréaliste View Post
Exactly.

Also, suburban towns aren’t all dreary, cookie-cutter hell holes.
^ Kinda agree. As I get older the appeal of living in the central city keeps fading away, that feeling got accelerated by Covid and just how draconian things tended to be in cities. Too much top-down, "do it our way or else" kind of stuff.

I like a more laid back environment

Old Posted Nov 1, 2021, 4:48 PM

Quote:
China Locks 30,000 Visitors Inside Shanghai Disneyland After One Guest Got Covid-19
By Natasha Khan
Updated Nov. 1, 2021 11:11 am ET

HONG KONG—Shanghai Disneyland was temporarily shut down from Sunday after a visitor was found to be Covid-19-positive, underscoring the economic disruption businesses in China face as the country strives to stamp out infections.

The world’s most populous nation has committed to maintaining “zero tolerance” for the virus despite criticism from business groups, a close to 80% vaccination rate, and a world which is gradually learning to live with Covid-19.

China is taking stringent measures to contain pockets of the coronavirus in the country. It recorded 48 domestic cases on Saturday across several provinces. Though extremely low compared with countries that are moving to live with the virus, the infections have prompted business closures and mass testing in certain areas.

Shanghai Disneyland was required to test almost 34,000 people Sunday before visitors could leave the resort, after a woman who had attended the park a day earlier was found to be infected with Covid-19. Sunday’s visitors all tested negative but were ordered to self-isolate for another 24 hours before a second test.

The park and Disneytown, a shopping and dining complex, will be closed until at least Wednesday, Shanghai Disneyland said.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/shangha...=hp_lead_pos10

We’ve had discussions about children. Imagine you took the kids to Disney World and this happened.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2021, 1:55 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Vaccine mandate discussion moved to the CE covid thread:

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=241619

Old Posted Nov 2, 2021, 6:27 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
No one I know is still friends or even in touch with people they knew in elementary school. It doesn’t matter. It’s absurd for adults to be stuck in one place so that a 6-year-old doesn’t lose touch with the same other 6-year-olds.
I barely communicate with anyone from high school but never-the-less, social interaction and bonding during those years, no matter how fleeting, is important.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Kinda agree. As I get older the appeal of living in the central city keeps fading away, that feeling got accelerated by Covid and just how draconian things tended to be in cities. Too much top-down, "do it our way or else" kind of stuff.

I like a more laid back environment
I’m not sure why you live where you do if that’s the case. If you don’t live in Chicago itself, or work there, or at least go into the city a few times a week, I would not see the purpose of staying in Illinois.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 6:43 PM
The City

Quote:
I’m not sure why you live where you do if that’s the case. If you don’t live in Chicago itself, or work there, or at least go into the city a few times a week, I would not see the purpose of staying in Illinois.
^ Aren't you also the guy that wants to die before you get old (just like The Who)?

Stick with investment advising or whatever you do. Perhaps being a personal life guru ain't......quite your area of specialty

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 6:50 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWAK View Post
Yeah that would qualify for a "gotcha", and no editing can fix it now

After COVID is over there should be a large package of changes put forth by city, state, and federal government. I don't see everybody agreeing on what is to be done so a commission with suggestions is my pick.
you are right and ... there is one thing addressing it in play. uncle joe blessed schools with money for covid recovery. afaik most schools are offering targeted after school or weekend tutoring and social activities. it hasn't quite started in nyc as yet, or i don't think it has, but i read it will soon.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 7:28 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
I would not see the purpose of staying in Illinois.
well yeah, cuz you're just one person outta some 7.9 billion.

99% of the people on this planet live in places and do things that you probably "would not see any purpose in".

but i'm sure that won't stop you from demonizing all of them!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions