HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 1:23 PM

There quite few Irish pubs here..I Don't have number, but some of the more established names Are "The Heart and Crown", O' Connors, Auld Dubliner and Pour House, D'Arcy McGees, Patty's pub, etc...Not that the amount of modern Irish pubs have anything to do with it, but The Irish had a very strong presence here in the founding days. What I mean, is nowadays, Irish pubs are often a style of pub with an Irish sounding name slapped up on the sign outside.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Almost all of the pubs/breweries here are Irish (though we label them “Irish Newfoundland”, for all the obvious reasons), with the main tourist ones being O’Reilley’s, Celtic Hearth/Talamh an Eisc, Bridie Molloy’s, Greensleeves, and Yellowbelly. The faves for locals are probably The Ship, Broderick’s, and Republic. Everything here is authentic with one glaring exception: Paddy’s Day is a holiday here and the downtown core has a full week of parties/sales/activities with all the tacky green shit you’d expect from people who aren’t Irish, which we’re of course not, even if they think we all still look and talk like we’re from Waterford or Wexford when they visit lol

The only pubs that aren’t really Irish are Duke of Duckworth (English), Rose and Thistle (English with Scottish decor and these days I think officially LGBT), and the various cocktail lounges like Grapevine.

Beyond that there are also lots of bars and clubs and dance halls. None of those are particularly anything but they will often play a couple dance remixes of Irish/Newfoundland songs each night.

You just had to remind me I need to go to Newfoundland before I get hit by a bus.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 1:33 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post

It seem like Red Dog tried to leverage the "red" momentum established by Killian's Irish Red AND the legacy of Spuds Mackenzie.
Yes, Red Dog was Miller's contribution to the '90s "red" beer craze started by Killian's.

And not wanting to miss out on the trend, A-B rushed its own answer to market, Red Wolf (ya know, because wolves > dogs).

It was a very interesting time for beer in America. People were starting to want other options beyond the same 6 macro-domestics and the same 6 euro-imports, but the craft brew craze hadn't really taken off yet in most places, at least not in terms of large scale distribution.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post

And not wanting to miss out on the trend, A-B rushed its own answer to market, Red Wolf (ya know, because wolves > dogs).
Oh yeah, Red Wolf, not to be confused with Beer Wolf [https://www.amazon.com/Coors-Light-B...dp/B0088P26B0], which was Coors' answer to Spuds Mackenzie.

When I was in college I played in a band called Beer Wolf. Our singer brought his pit bull to the parties we played at and would get the thing to howl into the mic when we played Hair of the Dog. What's funny is that we had that band before the "wolf" rock band name trend began (Wolfmother, Guitar Wolf [from Japan], Wolf Alice).

Quote:
It was a very interesting time for beer in America. People were starting to want other options beyond the same 6 macro-domestics and the same 6 euro-imports, but the craft brew craze hadn't really taken off yet in most places, at least not in terms of large scale distribution.
Well it's coming full-circle because people are slowly coming to terms with the fact that most microbrew beer tastes terrible and makes you feel like a sleepy pile of crap.

We're finally seeing a rise of popularity of microbreweries making pilsners and light beers...it's funny looking back at the old beer ads that espouse a beer being "easy to drink". I mean, the silver bullet won't let you down.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 2:48 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
people are slowly coming to terms with the fact that most microbrew beer tastes terrible and makes you feel like a sleepy pile of crap.
that hasn't been my experience. at all.

i LOVE the ridiculous diversity of today's brewing industry in america.

now, if i'm at a backyard BBQ and someone throws me a highlife, i'm sure as shit drinking it,

but i love having the choice of hundreds upon hundreds of beers to choose from.

i never want to go back to the bad old days when your typical bar had like 2 or 3 taps and freaking Heineken was the "good" beer.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jul 21, 2022 at 3:02 PM.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I mean, corn is a New World thing. Still sorta "exotic" in context of European cuisine. In Germany, it's still associated with animal feed. "Futter" rather than "Essen".
In Asia it's a common pizza topping of all things.

In general I find corn disgusting unless it's ground up into something like cornbread or a tortilla. Loose corn in particular is gross. The way it pops in your mouth is just...ugh. I have basically the same feeling about green peas. There's so many amazing vegetables...why eat that crap?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 4:11 PM
devout Pizzatarian

fresh-picked sweet corn on the cob is one of my favorite summertime treats.

i love the way those little kernels "pop" with flavor in my mouth.

and it helps to wash it down with some tasty american craft brew.

USA! USA! USA!

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Yes! And I don't even put butter on mine, the sweet corn on the cob is just perfect as it is.

And then of course there's esquites, which I do like too.

Serious Eats

There are so many different kinds of corn too, and they all taste different. Like Peruvian corn. Those folks get really esoteric with them. At Peruvian restaurants, sometimes they give you the complimentary cancha, and then of course there's the choclo which I really like, with the huge kernels, like in this ceviche and choclo appetizer; and the texture is different, too from the "corn" most Americans are familiar with:

Yelp

And then of course there's Peruvian purple corn, which they turn into that great drink called chicha morada, which of course I always thought would taste even better with some booze in it.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 4:44 PM

Man, there are some picky eaters on here!

All this branding of normal, everyday foods as gross and disgusting is so foreign to me.

Ground meat and potatoes -- yuck!
Corn -- ewwww!!
IPAs -- too bitter for delicate taste buds!!!

I'm having a mild flashback to my 'ex-girlfriend who wouldn't eat anything era' from 20+ years ago. Jeez... I guess I must shovel and pour anything that tastes at least halfway decent into my gob.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 4:46 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ agreed.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 6:15 PM

Quote:

i love the way those little kernels "pop" with flavor in my mouth.

and it helps to wash it down with some tasty american craft brew.

USA! USA! USA!
We get the Maple sweet corn ourselves from our local farmer's market, and my wife makes a corn chowder to die for...Yes to beer with it, as long as it's not water.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 6:20 PM

Quote:
I make roasted corn on the cob for my wife pretty regularly, because she loves it, but both my kids dropped it...and honestly it just doesn't seem worthwhile to me either. Most of the time I'll roast up some Brussels sprouts or celeriac for myself instead.

I like the flavor of corn, it's really just the hulls that irritate me...particularly when hot. I like grits. I love hominy when I can find it. I don't mind if there are a few kernels of corn in a salsa or something.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post

All this branding of normal, everyday foods as gross and disgusting is so foreign to me.

Well...because all of these urbanist websites seem to be patronized by a lot of people from wealthy backgrounds who seemingly have no familiarity with what is "ordinary" to the majority of the population, be it food or behavior.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 8:28 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post

Ground meat and potatoes -- yuck!
Corn -- ewwww!!
IPAs -- too bitter for delicate taste buds!!!

I'm having a mild flashback to my 'ex-girlfriend who wouldn't eat anything era' from 20+ years ago. Jeez... I guess I must shovel and pour anything that tastes at least halfway decent into my gob.
So many better tasting beer than IPA's. Give me a good Belgian strong ale, wit, stout or porter any day. Beer with actual flavor.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 8:38 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
So many better tasting beer than IPA's. Give me a good Belgian strong ale, wit, stout or porter any day. Beer with actual flavor.
America IPAs do not lack flavor.

You just don't like the flavor.

I'm quite lucky in that I haven't yet found a style of beer that I don't like.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 8:53 PM
BANNED

Sweet corn on the cob like the Mexicans do. Mayonase, Chili power, and Cheese. Someone post a pic from that link down below. I've lost the ability to post pics, I had to get a new laptop and I can't figure it out. Too many changes.

https://www.seriouseats.com/mexican-...-elotes-recipe

Grilling shucked ears of corn directly over very hot coals brings out the corn's nutty flavor and chars the kernels slightly.
A blend of garlic, cilantro, chili powder, mayo, and Cotija cheese in the sauce, plus a final squeeze of lime, makes the corn sweet, salty, savory, nutty, creamy, and tart all at once.

Washed down with a belgian trappist beer. Chimay: Bleue (Abbey quadrupel, 9% ABV)

Words that are typically used to describe what Trappist beer tastes like include: malty, bready, sweet, spicy, caramel and fruity. The fruit flavours commonly found in Trappist beer include apple, cherry, pear, raisins and dates. Some more mature beers have even been described as having an almost lambic flavour.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trappist_beer

Last edited by bnk; Jul 21, 2022 at 9:09 PM.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 9:01 PM
你的媽媽

Korean corn cheese is another tasty corn dish.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 9:14 PM

Quote:

i've had one too many skunky IPAs from store bought 6 packs that have made me slowly begin to dislike them - probably got too warm at some point. i used to enjoy them; definitely a strongly bitter/hoppy flavor. i too would take a belgian ale or hefe as my first choice tho.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
I like all those too, but pale ales seem pretty flavor-heavy to me.

Are you equating "flavor" with malt flavor or wheat flavor specifically?

Because I find the vast assortment of IPAs and APAs to be quite flavorful... sometimes too flavorful actually. I mean, the hop varieties that they're using now certainly are not what anyone would call bland. I'm much more into the citra/mosaic/amarillo hopped pale ales that are more in the New England style, rather than the more malty west coast style.

Quote:

I'm not too crazy about barleywines though...

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
i've had one too many skunky IPAs from store bought 6 packs that have made me slowly begin to dislike them - probably got too warm at some point. i used to enjoy them; definitely a strongly bitter/hoppy flavor. i too would take a belgian ale or hefe as my first choice tho.
In my 30 years of beer drinking, I've had FAR more skunky lagers than I've had skunky IPAs, whether out of the bottle or from the tap.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions