HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 20, 2014, 12:50 AM
Proud Homer!

Boeing’s Ventures Moving To Cortex
2:38 PM MON APRIL 21, 2014
By MARIA ALTMAN

Boeing Defense, Space & Security's start-up arm, Ventures, is moving to Cortex, the innovation and technology district in the Central West End.

"We’re really looking forward to being part of the St. Louis’ rapidly growing hub of innovation, entrepreneurship, start-ups, and technology research," said Ventures' Vice President Tim Noonan.

Noonan said about 20 full-time employees will move from the current location on Boeing's Hazelwood campus to Cortex. Ventures will take up about 7,500 square feet in the @4240 building. Cambridge Innovation Center, one of the nation's leading business incubators, is also slated to move into Cortex this year.

Boeing began Ventures about two years ago in an effort to grow business outside its expertise in airplane and defense production.

"We’re breaking the myth that Boeing can’t start up," Noonan said.

He pointed to its partnership with a Montreal-based company, RER Hydro, to commercialize hydrokinetic turbines. Boeing worked with the smaller company to test the technology, then signed an agreement in 2012 for exclusive rights to market and sell the turbines around the world.

"That’s an example of taking someone else’s intellectual property, adding to it only the things Boeing could add, and finding a commercial opportunity," Noonan said.

He said Ventures’ focus will be primarily on developing ideas brought by Boeing engineers. Noonan said he expects the team to manage about three to five start-up ideas per year.

"We’re going to spend a lot of time working on refining this method for accelerating ideas quickly and finding pathways to either scale them or pivot to another market," he said.

Another reason Boeing started Ventures is to attract the best talent to Boeing. Noonan said younger employees are asking for different contracts that allow them take risks and work with others to develop ideas.

"At Boeing we want to grab these employees, and we want to help them find a path to start new businesses," Noonan said. "We think it’s an essential ingredient to our future."

Cortex’s President and CEO Dennis Lower said Ventures’ move to Cortex is important in helping St. Louis prove itself as a technology hub.

Read More

[FALSE ALARM WITH THE PREVIOUS BOEING IT CENTER OF EXCELLENCE STORY]

Last edited by Arch City; Apr 22, 2014 at 11:54 PM.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2014, 6:13 AM
Proud Homer!

Signs have been put up on Cortona at Forest Park signaling the project is in the last stages of development.

The $41 million development is located in St. Louis City, south of I-64 and Parkview Place. The project consists of a 5-story mid-rise structure containing 278 rental apartments and 336 parking spaces.

The surrounding neighborhood is a mixture of office mid-rise, retail, mid-rise residential rental buildings and a hotel. The site is across the interstate from Forest Park and within close proximity to St. Louis' neighborhoods of Dogtown and The Hill. It's also minutes from CORTEX and the Washington University Medical Center.

Cortona at Forest Park by pasa47, on Flickr

cortona by St. Louis Fugee, on Flickr

They recently released a video tour on 04/11/14.

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 22, 2014, 11:46 PM
Proud Homer!

Here's another look at the new $150-million headquarters of Reinsurance Group of America. RGA is the only global life reinsurance company headquartered in the United States.

Work is being done on I-64 in Chesterfield.

CPW2014-04-11-09 by modot_stl_photos, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 3:59 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

i can't get over the sun theatre renovations...amazing.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 3:58 AM
Proud Homer!

I-64 work continues on new bridges, arterial street improvements and interstate ramps, which will better connect Washington University Medical Center and CORTEX to The Grove neighborhood, which is undergoing a renaissance.

One bridge has been completed as another is under construction. The interchange project is a part of CORTEX Phase II, which is a $186-million project that includes a new incubator facility (CIC-St. Louis), an office building and green spaces.

tg2014-04-11-62 by modot_stl_photos, on Flickr

tg2014-04-11-48 by modot_stl_photos, on Flickr

tg2014-04-11-04 by modot_stl_photos, on Flickr

I64bridge by St. Louis Fugee, on Flickr

tg2014-04-11-14 by modot_stl_photos, on Flickr

tg2014-04-11-10 by modot_stl_photos, on Flickr

tg2014-04-11-01 by modot_stl_photos, on Flickr

tg2014-04-11-60 by modot_stl_photos, on Flickr

Last edited by Arch City; Apr 25, 2014 at 5:40 AM.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 4:29 AM
Proud Homer!

St. Louis is booming with microbreweries and The Grove neighborhood is booming with new and reuse development.

Below are photos of Urban Chestnut Brewery's new Grove Brewery and Bierhall located in The Grove just blocks away from the Wash U. Medical Center and CORTEX.

Among the numerous projects planned for The Grove are a small hotel and office complex, new and reuse housing including apartments and a low-rise, entertainment venues, coffee houses, restaurants, bank branches etc. etc.. Lots of infill projects have been built and planned. A community park is also under construction.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 6:07 AM
Proud Homer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
i can't get over the sun theatre renovations...amazing.
And it isn't even completely finished yet.

I'm interested in how the marquee and/or blade signs are going to look.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch City View Post
I-64 work continues on new bridges, arterial street improvements and interstate ramps, which will better connect Washington University Medical Center and CORTEX to The Grove neighborhood, which is undergoing a renaissance.
I left STL in 2008 and it seem like they've been working on I-64 ever since!

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guesswho View Post
I left STL in 2008 and it seem like they've been working on I-64 ever since!
This part of I-64 was in the original project, but was cut to save $.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 5:21 PM

Quote:
And it isn't even completely finished yet.

I'm interested in how the marquee and/or blade signs are going to look.
Another pic - the mural and other signage along Manchester should be next.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 7:17 PM
Proud Homer!

Here's progress on the $10-million Central West End City Apartments on Union Boulevard - a six-story, 82-unit residential building just north of Forest Park.

Village Green, the Detroit-based company that has owned the complex of West End tower properties for nearly a decade, is constructing the building.

And just yesterday, it was announced that a California-based real estate firm has purchased two residential apartment buildings nearby. The Central Corridor real estate market is hot.

Progress photo looks west to downtown Clayton.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 7:42 PM
Proud Homer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Ihnen View Post
Another pic - the mural and other signage along Manchester should be next.

I think it looks great. An old industrial building converted, given an exterior and interior makeover, a great microbrew business (although I have never had an Urban Chestnut beer as I prefer Schafly) while adding to the vibrancy of the The Grove's strip.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 10:57 PM
Proud Homer!

Progress on Shriners Hospital-St. Louis now located in the Washington University Medical Center. It moved into the urban core from suburban Frontenac.

The facility, located on 3.75 acres, will replace the current 50-year-old hospital located in Frontenac.This will be the third facility for Shriners Hospitals for Children in St. Louis since opening in 1924.

Plans for the new $50-million, 90,000 square foot hospital include 12 inpatient beds, three surgical suites, and 18 clinic examination rooms.

Facing south, from I-64

Facing north

Facing north

Old Posted Apr 28, 2014, 8:21 PM
Proud Homer!

Construction is officially under way on St. Louis College of Pharmacy's new $50-million expansion, which is a 6-story, 243,000 sf academic, research and library building.

Groundbreaking took place on 04/25/14.

The St. Louis College of Pharmacy is nestled within the Washington University/BJC Medical Center.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2014, 10:46 PM
Proud Homer!

More good news for CORTEX.

Cortex seeks developer of residential building
April 15, 2014 7:14 pm • By Tim Bryant

Cortex District by pasa47, on Flickr

Cortex, the St. Louis biotech district, is intent on becoming a 24-7 area of science labs, residences and stores.

The lab part is perking along and Cortex has reeled in IKEA, which plans to open a store in the district next year.

Now Cortex is seeking a developer who will put up a mid-rise residential building at Forest Park Avenue and Sarah Street, just west of the IKEA site.

Cortex refers to the proposed project as the Silo Lofts, presumably because the site is next to some old grain elevators.

In its request for proposals, Cortex said the winning developer will get a 65-year ground lease on the 3.6-acre site.

Read More

Old Posted Apr 29, 2014, 3:39 PM

^ some images of possible residential at Cortex from March 14 nextSTL item: http://nextstl.com/2014/03/cortex-re...ic-conversion/

Old Posted Apr 29, 2014, 7:52 PM
Proud Homer!

The Lofts of Washington University (on the Delmar Loop) is now installing rooftop solar energy panels.

The massive, multi-block mixed-use project is still under construction, but is expected to be completed by the Fall 2014 semester.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 11:12 AM
Proud Homer!

The project proposals for the Central Corridor and Central West End keep rolling in. NextSTL.com also has an extensive report on this latest proposal here.

Also, Lindell Boulevard is where a proposed downtown/central corridor streetcar could travel.

Apartment tower proposed for Lindell Boulevard
11 hours ago • By Tim Bryant
St. Louis Post-Dispatch
05/02/14

A developer is proposing a $50 million, 14-story luxury apartment building at 4490 Lindell Boulevard, in the Central West End.

Covington Realty Partners, of Clayton, wants to put the tower on the site of the Optimist International headquarters, comprised of two structures, one built in 1961 with an addition completed in 1979. Officials said the Optimists are looking to relocate their 30 headquarters employees to a smaller building in the neighborhood.

According to Covington's plan, the new tower of brick, stone and stucco would have about 200 apartments designed to allow their sale later as condos. Resident parking is planned on the first two levels and below grade.

Officials said Covington hopes to acquire the Optimist International site and begin construction in January 2015. Construction would take 22 months.

Read More

Rendering from NextSTL.com

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 1:57 PM

The Central West End is the most cosmopolitan neighborhood in the city and it will likely be the first neighborhood to reach critical mass since urban renewal. . The Central Corridor has a lot of urban nodes, we just need to tie them together to get that continuous urbanity. I'd imagine developments like this will be pretty common once the St. Louis Streetcar gets built. I see development development moving east from the CWE and west from Downtown. The central corridor will likely be completely built out with some of the highest property values in the Midwest by 2030.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 3:14 PM

Quote:
The project proposals for the Central Corridor and Central West End keep rolling in. NextSTL.com also has an extensive report on this latest proposal here.

Also, Lindell Boulevard is where a proposed downtown/central corridor streetcar could travel.

Apartment tower proposed for Lindell Boulevard
11 hours ago • By Tim Bryant
St. Louis Post-Dispatch
05/02/14

A developer is proposing a $50 million, 14-story luxury apartment building at 4490 Lindell Boulevard, in the Central West End.

Covington Realty Partners, of Clayton, wants to put the tower on the site of the Optimist International headquarters, comprised of two structures, one built in 1961 with an addition completed in 1979. Officials said the Optimists are looking to relocate their 30 headquarters employees to a smaller building in the neighborhood.

According to Covington's plan, the new tower of brick, stone and stucco would have about 200 apartments designed to allow their sale later as condos. Resident parking is planned on the first two levels and below grade.

Officials said Covington hopes to acquire the Optimist International site and begin construction in January 2015. Construction would take 22 months.

Read More

Rendering from NextSTL.com
Happy to see this proposal. When I lived in the CWE there were no modern high rise apartments (although I did love the 1920's brick tower I lived in), so if I ever moved back I know there are now several options!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations