HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 1:17 PM

March 9th planning commission is now online. There are four new items on the agenda, all of which warrant some discussion:

1. Part 2 of Pitt's new master plan. The plan has been split into chunks because this is by far the weightiest single item that the commission reviews. This section is focusing upon new development within the 10-year window on the upslope part of Pitt's campus. There are nine sites focused on, but the presentation is honestly quite vague regarding the actual projected uses at each of the sites. More may be clear during the stream.

2. Downtown, there is a slight tweak to the Penn/8th development. The bottom two floors of the furthest south building (the McNally building - one of the two rehabbed as part of the project) remained a shell, presumably in hopes of finding a large commercial tenant. The building owners seem to have given up on this, and are now subdividing the floors, with a small section in the front to be used for a coffee shop, while the rear portion will be used for an additional four loft apartments.

3. A new, 600-stall parking garage at the Pittsburgh Technology Center. This is replacing a current surface lot. It's an Indovina building, and as parking garages go, it's not a bad design at all. While I find new garages generally disappointing, PTC is basically a lost cause.

4. A zoning change - the official "inclusionary zoning overlay" for Lawrenceville. My basic feelings on the proposal have not changed - I feel this is close to a meaningless gesture. I say this because the inclusionary zoning requirements are only applied for developments of 20 or more units. As the study itself shows, there have only been seven such developments in Lawrenceville in recent history. The vast majority of new projects coming online in Lawrenceville are small scale 1-6 unit stands of townhomes, which are not regulated by this process at all. Indeed, the vast majority of Lawrenceville is only zoned for single-family housing. 95% of the areas multi-family is allowed by right are either right along Butler Street (where 20+ unit new developments are unlikely) or within the riverfront zones. Further, any zoning change which simply adds affordability requirements without loosening requirements elsewhere will result in a net rise in housing costs, because it doesn't up the supply, meaning developers will simply have to increase the rent/sale price of the market-rate units to make up the difference.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 4:36 PM

Quote:
possibly explicitly to make way for the Esplanade project
What is happening with that?

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 3:19 PM
JDescutner

Construction of the 5-story apartment building on the Garden Theater Block at the intersection of North and Federal is set to begin this July.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 3:31 PM
Ex Houstonian

^
Sweet, I forget what the renderings are for it. Hopefully that cleans up some of the hobos that hangout on that corner.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 2:08 PM

I noticed today that the city began posting details of Art Commission presentations again, rather than just the agendas.

This is a pretty nice presentation on the new apartment building planned at the corner of Penn and 32nd. Some new renderings I hadn't seen when it went before the planning commission.

Pretty small, but this is an interesting public art project on the riverfront trail by the 10th Street Bypass downtown: a set of abstractly-styled birdhouses. Although on a practical basis I'm not sure how many birds will want to use some of the lower birdhouses, which people could literally just reach into won't feel secure for the birds.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 8:25 PM

Proposed 24 Story Residential Tower

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markson33 View Post
If only I could access it to read.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markson33 View Post
Here are some renderings:
https://downtownpittsburgh.com/wp-co...OWNTOWN-SM.pdf

This thing is hideous...

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 10:44 PM

Similar in look to Cleveland's proposed City Club Apartments

And speaking of Cleveland, why is it that their residential buildings always seem to be so much better than Pittsburgh's?

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 11:18 PM

pj3000 above -
"And speaking of Cleveland, why is it that their residential buildings always seem to be so much better than Pittsburgh's?"

Surprisingly, Pittsburgh's architectural and development communities seem to be significantly more conservative/less daring than even Cleveland's. I have various ideas on "why", but nothing to support any of them. As I've asked several times before on this thread - I cannot understand why, given Pittsburgh's topography providing so many, many potential views of downtown and the river valleys, there aren't more high-rise condos and apartments built on the hills. Yes, it would restrict the number of single family houses from having those views. But I think the tradeoff would be worthwhile. I just don't understand the reluctance to NOT have single family dwellings as the norm in the city.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmust71 View Post
Here are some renderings:
https://downtownpittsburgh.com/wp-co...OWNTOWN-SM.pdf

This thing is hideous...
The renderings are pretty low quality, but it has a real "made out of legos" vibe to it.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
The renderings are pretty low quality, but it has a real "made out of legos" vibe to it.
Right, it’s a bit tough to tell what it might actually look like based on the renderings. Though, considering the firm’s other projects in the city (on the south side and Bloomfield), I’m not too optimistic about the quality of the proposed building. Their two existing apartment buildings appear very plasticky to me... with a lot of shit thrown on them to hide their cheap materials.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 3:09 PM
somewhere in-between

Detroit's Downtown City Club Apartments turned out (somewhat) better than the renderings. The biggest complaint of many is that is is too short / squat - seen as a waste of potential for such a prime spot in that city's downtown. Just hope that Pittsburgh's doesn't get cut in half, height-wise. There is another City Club proposed for Midtown Detroit that has some more height (I think 16 or 17 stories). The renderings look about as dubious than the Pittsburgh ones -

Detroit City Club Apartments - Downtown -

Source: Detroit Yes

Detroit Ciy Club Apartments Rendering - Midtown -

Source: Detroit Free Press

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMyWords View Post
pj3000 above -
"And speaking of Cleveland, why is it that their residential buildings always seem to be so much better than Pittsburgh's?"

Surprisingly, Pittsburgh's architectural and development communities seem to be significantly more conservative/less daring than even Cleveland's. I have various ideas on "why", but nothing to support any of them. As I've asked several times before on this thread - I cannot understand why, given Pittsburgh's topography providing so many, many potential views of downtown and the river valleys, there aren't more high-rise condos and apartments built on the hills. Yes, it would restrict the number of single family houses from having those views. But I think the tradeoff would be worthwhile. I just don't understand the reluctance to NOT have single family dwellings as the norm in the city.
To partly answer my own question, I think some of it has to do with Cleveland’s stronger pipeline to both NY and Chicago developers (i.e., $$$)

Old Posted Mar 13, 2021, 8:37 PM

from the press release, oh I mean "article" about the building.

But renderings for the project based on a design by Pittsburgh architect Ellen A. Levin for the site at 305 Wood Street show a glass-clad tower rising 24 stories to replace the current seven-floor building that has been the home of the YWCA of Greater Pittsburgh since 1962. The YWCA announced last June that it was putting the Wood Street property up for sale, listing it with Mark Popovich of JLL.

The proposed tower seeks to maximize the YWCA property’s site, which totals a little more than 15,500 square feet in size, with a modest setback on the Wood Street frontage for a second-floor courtyard terrace, and uses on the first floor designated for educational and restaurant tenants, perhaps a nod to current occupants, Point Park University’s Center of Media Innovation and the Mandarin Gourmet Restaurant.

The proposed residential tower also includes a rooftop deck on the 24th floor complete with a pool.

Jeremy Waldrup, president and CEO for the Pittsburgh Downtown Partnership, said the proposal was well received by his organization’s membership at its February meeting.

“It could be transformational for the Wood Street corridor,” he said, expecting it would be the most significant new rental residential tower developed downtown since the Encore on 7th, an 18-story apartment building that first opened nearly 15 years ago.

He noted City Club's track record: "They have done a lot of projects like this in cities around the country."

Old Posted Mar 16, 2021, 5:16 PM

Riverlife has publicized it's vision for "Completing the Loop". I knew about many of the proposed or planned project but was surprised at how much more is involved. There is more detailed info in the video than available on the web.

Riverlife’s “Completing the Loop” Virtual Public Meeting
(90 minute zoom presentation from Feb 26th 2021)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yknvteN9IoQ

A couple things to note while scouring Riverlife info:

"Construction on Duck Hollow to Fix Landslide:
The entire Duck Hollow trail segment will be closed while the City fixes the landslide. Construction starts 3/9/2021."
Everyone has been walking up and around the landslide chasm so it'll be nice to finally have it fixed. No word yet on connecting the dead end of the trail to hazelwood.

The Mon Warf connector project should begin construction in 2021. They are currently fielding bids for that work. That is a key missing piece in bringing GAP riders all the way to the point in luxury. It'll really put provide a good impression for visitors riding the GAP.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2021, 2:48 PM

The 3/23 Planning Commission agenda is posted. There are four new items for next week, although two of them are very closely related.

1. Further review of Pitt's master plan. Next week they plan to focus on potential projects closer to the core of their campus. As with earlier weeks, these "potential projects" are so tentative (basically the full scope of things which may be possible) that it feels kind of worthless to comment in any detail.

2/3. Southside Works has new plans for both the "town center" and a dog park over part of the rail tunnel. The Town Square reinvents the area taken up by the fountain now into an area with food kiosks, outdoor seating, and a public lawn overlooking a stage area. The dog park is...a dog park. Well, there's another food kiosk and limited seating on the westward edge. Still, it's great the parcels (which are right now big useless grassy medians) are being repurposed for something. Most interesting is the overall land plan shown in both presentations. It appears the two empty parcels between Hofbrauhaus and the marina will eventually be filled with apartments. There are no plans to fill in any of the other remaining empty parcels, but lots of ways they're programming outdoor space, with a playground, community gardens, and several sports fields. You could see some of these as holding patterns for later development, or as attempts to turn Southside Works into a full-service neighborhood.

4. ALCOSAN is submitting a design for a new East Headworks facility. The design is honestly not bad for a strictly industrial building in a restricted-access area that no one who isn't working for ALCOSAN will ever see. I think it being lit up during the evening is a bit of an overkill - particularly because the featured corner faces towards the railroad tracks, and not the river (meaning few people will see it even from a distance).

Old Posted Mar 18, 2021, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post
Riverlife has publicized it's vision for "Completing the Loop". I knew about many of the proposed or planned project but was surprised at how much more is involved. There is more detailed info in the video than available on the web.

Riverlife’s “Completing the Loop” Virtual Public Meeting
(90 minute zoom presentation from Feb 26th 2021)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yknvteN9IoQ

A couple things to note while scouring Riverlife info:

"Construction on Duck Hollow to Fix Landslide:
The entire Duck Hollow trail segment will be closed while the City fixes the landslide. Construction starts 3/9/2021."
Everyone has been walking up and around the landslide chasm so it'll be nice to finally have it fixed. No word yet on connecting the dead end of the trail to hazelwood.

The Mon Warf connector project should begin construction in 2021. They are currently fielding bids for that work. That is a key missing piece in bringing GAP riders all the way to the point in luxury. It'll really put provide a good impression for visitors riding the GAP.
That presentation was full of great information. I love the idea for the Saw Mill Run Park as a way to catalyze green connections to the west. I also loved the ideas to improve the loop between the inclines so tourists have a better impression of the city (particularly at the lower Duquesne Station)

The plan for a trail connection under the Birmingham Bridge into the Hill was also brand new for me.

Of course all of these won’t come to fruition immediately, but it’s great they are thinking so big on these ideas

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 12:14 PM

April 8 ZBA is online. Two items of note for that week, though neither is new:

1. The proposed new residential tower for downtown at the WYCA site. One of the biggest surprises here is it appears they want to renovate the existing WYCA building and use it as a base for the tower structure. I would have thought that in order to create the foundations needed to secure a 20-story tower they'd need to clear the site. I'm also a bit surprised that they're going before the ZBA first, since it's far more common for downtown projects to first go to the Planning Commission. Regardless, we have seen a lot of this before, but I believe there are still a few new (crude) renderings.

2. Six infill townhouses in the Panther Hollow are of Oakland. This is not a new project, having previously gone before ZBA in November. It seems ZBA kicked the requested variances down the curb because the developer had not met with OPDC. They have since done so, but for financial reasons were unable to change the project in a matter which would alleviate the variances, and thus are re-submitting essentially the same project. I would presume it will be shot down again. I can't for the life of me think about why OPDC would oppose this project though - it's six townhouses intended for owner-occupants on a more-or-less vacant lot. Who exactly is threatened by this?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
1. The proposed new residential tower for downtown at the WYCA site. One of the biggest surprises here is it appears they want to renovate the existing WYCA building and use it as a base for the tower structure. I would have thought that in order to create the foundations needed to secure a 20-story tower they'd need to clear the site. I'm also a bit surprised that they're going before the ZBA first, since it's far more common for downtown projects to first go to the Planning Commission. Regardless, we have seen a lot of this before, but I believe there are still a few new (crude) renderings.
It was originally constructed to add a tower. So the foundations, etc. are already primed for the addition. Obviously that never ends up as easy as it sounded 40 years ago.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations