HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 23, 2015, 4:00 PM
BANNED

Helicopter hovering over the south of Roosevelt site

Old Posted Oct 23, 2015, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanrule View Post
Helicopter hovering over the south of Roosevelt site
CBS 2 news just had a live report from 1001 S State (901 S state?) that a construction worker has died. He was working on the 4th floor (garage) when a steam / air pipe ruptured causing massive injuries to his head and face. My thoughts and prayers are with his family. May he rest in peace.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...023-story.html

Old Posted Oct 23, 2015, 5:23 PM
THAT Guy

Good "before" shot along Wells

Flickr

Old Posted Oct 23, 2015, 6:18 PM

^ In 18-24 months, there will be what - 5-7 new high rises in that shot?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2015, 7:18 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
^ In 18-24 months, there will be what - 5-7 new high rises in that shot?
Something like this, perhaps, if NW corner of Chicago/Wells and the SW corner of Ontario/Wells both get towers.

Photo by spyguy, horrible edits by emathias

Old Posted Oct 23, 2015, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilsenarch View Post
WHAT WORKS - "The Suburb That Tried To Kill the Car: Evanston ...... a 10-minute walk of two rail lines and half-a-dozen bus routes. The local automobile ownership rate is nearly half that of the surrounding area." http://politi.co/1R02Gqc ... 12-pic slideshow http://politi.co/1hZH4Os
Nice article, even covering the problems of dead parking podiums and zoning.

Last edited by VKChaz; Oct 23, 2015 at 9:31 PM.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2015, 7:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemak27 View Post
CBS 2 news just had a live report from 1001 S State (901 S state?) that a construction worker has died. He was working on the 4th floor (garage) when a steam / air pipe ruptured causing massive injuries to his head and face. My thoughts and prayers are with his family. May he rest in peace.

Talking to workers, sounds like there was body part separation and massive blood.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2015, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemak27 View Post

Construction workers risk their lives everyday for a lot of people. Society should be more thankful to them.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2015, 8:29 PM

two accidents in two days

Old Posted Oct 23, 2015, 10:05 PM
THAT Guy

New one per Ald. Reilly:

Quote:
346-58 N. Union Street & 347-357 N. Halsted Street

Representatives of the Chicago Self Storage II, LLC development team will present their proposal for the development of a 38-story, 373 dwelling unit residential building. Approximately 158 parking spaces will be provided. The site is currently undeveloped.

WHAT: 346-58 N. Union Street & 347-357 N. Halsted Street

WHO: Hosted by Alderman Brendan Reilly and
Neighbors of West Loop (NOWL)

WHEN: Tuesday, November 3, 2015 at 6:00 pm

WHERE: Old St. Patrick's Church, Church Hall
700 West Adams Street
Chicago, IL 60661

*Free parking is available in the parking lot on the southeast corner of Adams and Desplaines*
Love that gem at the end

Old Posted Oct 23, 2015, 10:09 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
New one per Ald. Reilly:

Love that gem at the end
^ Yeah, once you say "free parking" all the fucking old geezers show up. They shouldn't have done that

Old Posted Oct 23, 2015, 10:35 PM

Demolition staging is going up around the Tower of Jewel site. Hopefully it comes down any day now.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2015, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
New one per Ald. Reilly:

Love that gem at the end
Awesome. After the south tower of K2 fell through, I thought that lot might sit vacant for years.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2015, 11:55 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

You know people like to talk about capping the Kennedy in the West Loop, but it seems like capping between Grand and Lake would be easier since the highway is mostly narrower there and there aren't on/off ramps. It seems like that would do almost as much for that section of the city as a West Loop cap would do. It's already partially capped.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2015, 12:15 AM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
You know people like to talk about capping the Kennedy in the West Loop, but it seems like capping between Grand and Lake would be easier since the highway is mostly narrower there and there aren't on/off ramps. It seems like that would do almost as much for that section of the city as a West Loop cap would do. It's already partially capped.
I've also thought that. It would also be arguably easier to cap between Jackson/Van Buren as well given the lack of on/off ramps. You could get twice the park decking over that parcel then the others often talked about. Same if Peoria/Halsted was decked over on the Ike. Which would also have the advantage of making the UIC stop effectively a subway stop.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2015, 1:38 AM
Urbane observer

Peoria to Halsted has the new ramp way up in the air, remember.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2015, 5:27 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
Demolition staging is going up around the Tower of Jewel site. Hopefully it comes down any day now.
According to Crains they received a construction loan. So it's all a go now.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 2:26 AM

I have an acquaintance who works for Halvorson & Partners. I spoke to him on Friday and he told me one of his projects was to work on the structural engineering for 800 S. Michigan. He told me they are considering doing away with the stilts because of cost. The figure he quoted me was that the stilts would add about 5 million to the project budget and that each connection joint where angled stilts connect with each other would cost at least $100,000 and be about the size of an SUV. The stilts themselves would be made of reinforced concrete incased in metal. All of this of course would need to be custom made. I told him I really hope they keep the stilts as it is the most architecturally compelling aspect of the project. I didn't tell him this but $5 million doesn't seem that bad for such a significant design aspect of a project that I would guess would cost more than $200 million.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2PRUROCKS! View Post
I have an acquaintance who works for Halvorson & Partners. I spoke to him on Friday and he told me one of his projects was to work on the structural engineering for 800 S. Michigan. He told me they are considering doing away with the stilts because of cost. The figure he quoted me was that the stilts would add about 5 million to the project budget and that each connection joint where angled stilts connect with each other would cost at least $100,000 and be about the size of an SUV. The stilts themselves would be made of reinforced concrete incased in metal. All of this of course would need to be custom made. I told him I really hope they keep the stilts as it is the most architecturally compelling aspect of the project. I didn't tell him this but $5 million doesn't seem that bad for such a significant design aspect of a project that I would guess would cost more than $200 million.
yea those stilts are amazing, imagine the attention that tower would get. without it though i dont think anyone would bat an eye tword it

Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 1:54 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2PRUROCKS! View Post
I seriously doubt it would cost more than $200 million - that would mean each of the 388 units would cost over a half million to construct and there's about 10 per floor, so I'm not seeing them being excessively huge. But $5 million does mean nearly $13,000 extra per unit, which doesn't seem impossibly expensive to absorb.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations