HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 4:52 PM

Interesting land sale up in the Desert Ridge area. ZOM Living (Miami based multi-family projects) purchased the NW corner of L101 & 56th St. If you look at ZOM’s website - they seem to primarily build hi-rises in Miami - upscale stuff. Wonder what their plans are for that corner...

https://azbigmedia.com/real-estate/z...nix-for-34-9m/

Can’t imagine that corner is zoned for anything over 56ft, but maybe?

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 4:58 PM

DTPHX has updated their development page to include an interactive map now. It still includes Recently Completed, Under Construction, and Predevelopment sections (it added The Astra to this section), but also added Affordable Housing and Workforce Housing sections (including Palmcourt and Link Phase III): https://dtphx.org/development/

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 6:30 PM

we just got a set of plans to bid the hvac for the union @ Roosevelt phase 2. so that's still moving forward

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox View Post
Interesting land sale up in the Desert Ridge area. ZOM Living (Miami based multi-family projects) purchased the NW corner of L101 & 56th St. If you look at ZOM’s website - they seem to primarily build hi-rises in Miami - upscale stuff. Wonder what their plans are for that corner...

https://azbigmedia.com/real-estate/z...nix-for-34-9m/

Can’t imagine that corner is zoned for anything over 56ft, but maybe?
We started discussing that a couple pages back in the midrise thread, they also purchased 6 acres across the street and parcels in DT Scottsdale and near the Biltmore. The do high rises, but also do a lot of midrise and mixed use developments too.

I am positive everything within High Street and City North is zoning up to 120'. That parcel I believe is included with that zoning, across 56th to the East it steps down substantially.

I am curious how that area will play out. Crown owns City North, and also has master development rights for all of Desert Ridge. I would assume they probably wanted that parcel to add to City North, and are probably not happy ZOM was able to obtain it. Anything ZOM tries to develop will still have to go through Crown and I am not sure how cooperative they will be with someone trying to develop mixed use adjacent to their City North development, essentially marketing to the same clientele.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azliam View Post
DTPHX has updated their development page to include an interactive map now. It still includes Recently Completed, Under Construction, and Predevelopment sections (it added The Astra to this section), but also added Affordable Housing and Workforce Housing sections (including Palmcourt and Link Phase III): https://dtphx.org/development/
Thanks for sharing! Nice to see the same technology used by the City of Tempe being leveraged here. Good to see some updates on "Residences on 2nd" as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownphxguy12 View Post
we just got a set of plans to bid the hvac for the union @ Roosevelt phase 2. so that's still moving forward
Totally forgot about this one...and is missing from DTPHX's Development tracker website.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 6:59 PM
Skyriser

Everything in that blob is zoned for village core on the Desert Ridge Specific Plan which allows for 140', but it's still C-2 on paper without the MR designation.

The CityNorth developer doesn't own that parcel, but attempted to stop its development and got sued by and lost to Gray, but Gray ended up going bankrupt anyways.

20 acres for a residential project sounds like garden apartments and surface parking. I'd be surprised if it approached the 56' allowed in the C-2 district by right.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 7:22 PM

You are right Sean, it is 140', Cavasson in North Scottsdale is zoned for 120'.

The developer mentioned they are planning 600 units for the 56th East parcel, which is 6 acres, although only about 4 buildable acres due to ROW and drainage easements. That would probably be about 2 - 4 story wraps to net those 600 units.

They didn't say what they are planning for the 20 acres, but there is no way its garden style apartments. It would never pencil out for that land, not at almost $2M/acre.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 7:42 PM
Skyriser

150 DU/acre is concrete construction, so who knows. I like being wrong about this sorta thing.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyAZ View Post
We started discussing that a couple pages back in the midrise thread, they also purchased 6 acres across the street and parcels in DT Scottsdale and near the Biltmore. The do high rises, but also do a lot of midrise and mixed use developments too.

I am positive everything within High Street and City North is zoning up to 120'. That parcel I believe is included with that zoning, across 56th to the East it steps down substantially.

I am curious how that area will play out. Crown owns City North, and also has master development rights for all of Desert Ridge. I would assume they probably wanted that parcel to add to City North, and are probably not happy ZOM was able to obtain it. Anything ZOM tries to develop will still have to go through Crown and I am not sure how cooperative they will be with someone trying to develop mixed use adjacent to their City North development, essentially marketing to the same clientele.
Interesting. Sorry for the duplicate post.

I thought that part of the neighboring Paradise Ridge area to the east was zoned for above 200ft around the 64th St/Deer Valley alignment. I remember this was the case when that development was being proposed prior to 2008. Someone was proposing condo towers + some luxury shopping there. Now it seems DR Horton is putting something up in that area (single family homes?).

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox View Post
Interesting. Sorry for the duplicate post.

I thought that part of the neighboring Paradise Ridge area to the east was zoned for above 200ft around the 64th St/Deer Valley alignment. I remember this was the case when that development was being proposed prior to 2008. Someone was proposing condo towers + some luxury shopping there. Now it seems DR Horton is putting something up in that area (single family homes?).
Paradise Ridge is a little further East, its between 64th and Scottsdale Road. Everything West of 64th is still Desert Ridge. DR Horton and Shea Homes are building a new single-family subdivision on a parcel North of Deer Valley and are building a portion of Deer Valley Road over to 64th street as well. Scottsdale is starting the Rawhide wash channelization project soon so that will bring the entire Paradise Ridge area out of the floodplain, so I would expect to start seeing development there in the coming years too.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 7:23 PM
Modulator

Not significant development news, but worth mentioning. APS has started work on the substation going in on the SW corner of Roosevelt/7th St. I hope they do a decent job of hiding it. Such a prominent corner to build a sub station.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
Not significant development news, but worth mentioning. APS has started work on the substation going in on the SW corner of Roosevelt/7th St. I hope they do a decent job of hiding it. Such a prominent corner to build a sub station.
oh, that's what they are doing. Terrible location for a substation. Too bad they couldn't but some gallery space along roosevelt. like they shipping container ones down the street.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 12:35 AM

Quote:
I was wondering what was going on there. Driving past this everyday, I was hoping for something a little more thrilling than a substation. That's utter garbage. On Roosevelt row of all places. That is such a prominent corner and should've been a focal point into the Arts District. Much disappointment.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Does anyone know if they have an update on the proposed design. I agree with you guys that it’s a prime corner and unfortunate that it’ll be a substation. I guess the silver lining is that they are attempting to incorporate some art, it’s certainly a step up from the fake building look of the lot south of this one.

There’s a picture of the rendering here...... https://www.google.com/amp/s/downtow...ct-update/amp/

Here’s an old Facebook page with two different proposals.......
https://m.facebook.com/EvansChurchil...99872840025571

Have you guys seen anything else or is this what we can expect?

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Does anyone know if they have an update on the proposed design. I agree with you guys that it’s a prime corner and unfortunate that it’ll be a substation. I guess the silver lining is that they are attempting to incorporate some art, it’s certainly a step up from the fake building look of the lot south of this one.

There’s a picture of the rendering here...... https://www.google.com/amp/s/downtow...ct-update/amp/

Here’s an old Facebook page with two different proposals.......
https://m.facebook.com/EvansChurchil...99872840025571

Have you guys seen anything else or is this what we can expect?

Edit.....found this one too, looks like that’s the correct proposed design.....
https://www.aps.com/-/media/APS/APSC...189C5FB6088948

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 2:02 AM

^The article reminded me that with the Garfield substation renovation, its footprint will expand to the north, removing the old Revolver Records building and approach Roosevelt. Not sure how much space will be left over, but if I recall, there won’t be room for future development. More or less, Roosevelt is condemned to have two block-long dead spaces in the near future.

Perhaps it’s not all doom and gloom, if APS or the City permits street side containers on the Roosevelt face. Could allow for small cafes, galleries, or retail, which is more than can be said for the current surface lot. I know it’s at least a possibility from the APS meetings I attended 2 or so years ago. But I guess we’ll have to wait and see.

Last edited by Phxguy; Feb 18, 2021 at 2:17 AM.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 2:08 AM
Skyriser

I swear, these substations are either lazy/bad engineering or a long-haul land grab by Pinnacle West. I can't think of another city that has so many of these in plain sight surrounding downtown.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 3:00 AM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
I swear, these substations are either lazy/bad engineering or a long-haul land grab by Pinnacle West. I can't think of another city that has so many of these in plain sight surrounding downtown.
Does the city have any say in these or does APS have some kind of authority to build the substations under the guise that more is needed for the downtown power grid? There are so many more lots that are not in prominent locations that would do the same job for APS. Having 2 stations going in right on Roosevelt Row which is supposed to be one of Phoenix's great neighborhoods seems to be a big step backwards. The locals fought development in the area for so long. Where's the fight against these substations?

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 7:15 AM

The fact that the city’s “most walkable” street is going to have two substations abutting it is depressing. Very lame.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtphxguy View Post
The fact that the city’s “most walkable” street is going to have two substations abutting it is depressing. Very lame.
I disagree that Roosevelt is the most "walkable" street

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest