HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
No comments on the Red/Purple Line construction that is now officially announced?
For reference. . .
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...211-story.html
https://wgntv.com/2018/12/12/cta-mov...econstruction/

. . .

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 7:54 PM
The City

The TOD zoning is supposed to expand to high ridership bus corridors, which has already been discussed before. But it looks like that number of corridors has expanded to 8. Nice to see

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 7:57 PM

I wish the bus TOD expansion was pursued in concert with an actual plan to improve/speed up bus service. I know Western and Ashland have (or will soon) transit signal priority but what about the others. How about some all door boarding, physically separate bus lanes, improved dispatching and en route info to prevent bunching, and stop consolidation?

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 10:12 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Indeed, the 55 could use some love to improve on-time performance for example. Plenty of room on Garfield Blvd for a bus lane or something...

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 11:39 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
No comments on the Red/Purple Line construction that is now officially announced?
Great, happy to hear it. Walsh and Fluor are both happy about it, too.
https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...ple-Rail-Lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
I’m looking forward to this overall project as I think the benefits are definitely worth it, though I’m most fearful the flyover will be a hulking concrete behemoth resembling a freeway overpass. I have near zero faith the CTA will succeed in creating something lighter/less over powering. Hopefully my concern is misplaced.
It's like a quarter or less of the width of an expressway overpass, I really don't understand the concern.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 1:05 AM
BANNED

https://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...212-story.html

Elon Musk's tunnel to O'Hare moves just a bit closer to reality

Elon Musk's planned tunneling project in Chicago, seemingly jeopardized when its biggest champion said he would not run for re-election, has taken an important step closer to building its promised transit route connecting downtown Chicago to O'Hare International Airport.

The Boring Co. is now midway through an environmental assessment, according to Tom Budescu, managing director of finance at the Chicago Infrastructure Trust, the organization charged with negotiating the contract on behalf of the city. Boring Co. was selected for the job this summer, an announcement that came with much fanfare, including a joint press conference with Musk and Mayor Rahm Emanuel. After the assessment is completed, the tunneling project will go to Chicago's City Council for review.

"We're feeling very confident that the project agreement is getting to the point of refinement
," Budescu said at an Infrastructure Trust meeting on Tuesday.

"We're getting pretty far along in that process."

He said that Boring Co. was working with federal and local officials, including the Federal Highway Administration and the Chicago Department of Transportation, on the environmental review mandated by U.S. law.

Because the tunnel is likely to go under an interstate roadway, the Federal Highway Administration is overseeing the review.

The project's advancement through the early stages of environmental review signals brisk momentum for a company that launched only two years ago, ...

The progression may also be a sign of Emanuel's determination to advance the project before he leaves office this coming May. Three months after he announced that Chicago had selected Boring Co. to build the tunnel, Emanuel said he wouldn't run for a third term as mayor, casting doubts on the future of the express service to O'Hare, which has been under discussion for years.

The proposed venture would whisk Chicago passengers from the city's downtown Loop district to the airport in about 12 minutes using Boring Co.'s "Loop" technology: wheeled carriages the company calls autonomous electric skates. The skates would run at up to 150 miles per hour in ...

It isn't the only Boring Co. project undergoing environmental assessment. A project to build a tunnel connecting Baltimore to Washington is quietly moving ahead, with Boring Co. staff and the Maryland Department of Transportation currently working on an environmental assessment, a spokesman for the department told Bloomberg.

Meanwhile, ….fMusk's Space Exploration Technologies Corp. rocket company. A delegation from Chicago is expected to attend the opening next week.

If Emanuel can steer the project through City Council before he leaves office, it could significantly increase the odds that the transit system, called X Line, will eventually get built. "It's a very quick timetable that they're under," said Rick Harnish, executive director of the Midwest High Speed Rail Association. "But not impossible."

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 3:28 AM

Quote:
One aspect I wasn’t aware of (though I’m guessing it’s always been part of the plan) is the construction of temporary stations. That way Lawrence, Argyle, Berwyn, and Bryn Mawr can all be completely closed and rebuilt while major construction on the viaduct is underway. I just assumed they’d close Lawrence & Berwyn at the same time, forcing riders who use those stations to head north or south to the next station. Same for Argyle & Bryn Mawr. Since they’re constructing temporary stations, I’m wondering whether the entrances will be on the same streets as the current stations? Or perhaps a block further north or south since the mid point of 3 of those 4 stations is directly above the street they serve (excluding Berwyn where most of the platform is south of the street) and therefore a temporary station would need to be constructed above a different street to avoid overlap with the old station during reconstruction?

I’m looking forward to this overall project as I think the benefits are definitely worth it, though I’m most fearful the flyover will be a hulking concrete behemoth resembling a freeway overpass. I have near zero faith the CTA will succeed in creating something lighter/less over powering. Hopefully my concern is misplaced.
According to the EA, the first phase (18 mos) will have Lawrence and Berwyn closed, with Bryn Mawr and Argyle open. The second phase (18-24 mos) will have Bryn Mawr open southbound only and a temporary Foster-Winona station.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 6:31 PM

Quote:
I’m most fearful the flyover will be a hulking concrete behemoth resembling a freeway overpass. I have near zero faith the CTA will succeed in creating something lighter/less over powering. Hopefully my concern is misplaced.
The CTA rendering has it looking like part of an auto spaghetti bowl. (See this video starting at 0:49) Luckily they're just the showing what could happen not the actual design. Walsh-Fluor got awarded the contract to actually design and build it. So I guess we'll see what they come up with.

"In a quality city, a person should be able to live their entire life without a car, and not feel deprived." - Paul Bedford

Old Posted Dec 16, 2018, 3:13 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Ever wonder where certain buses go? This YouTube channel has you covered... https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpY...2Fxv_Kw/videos

Old Posted Dec 16, 2018, 10:03 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiShawn View Post
The CTA rendering has it looking like part of an auto spaghetti bowl. (See this video starting at 0:49) Luckily they're just the showing what could happen not the actual design. Walsh-Fluor got awarded the contract to actually design and build it. So I guess we'll see what they come up with.
You’re not wrong, it probably will look like a highway structure but a bit narrower. There is a similar structure on the Orange Line at 18th St. The only realistic way (cost-wise) to avoid that appearance is to build an open deck structure like the old-school L structures or like the new Pink Line structure. Unfortunately this would probably create too much noise in the surrounding area, both low frequency vibrations and high frequency screeching, so it would fail Environmental Impact.

I’m not too concerned about it honestly. CTA can still do a decorative treatment on the concrete supports so they look fine from a pedestrian level, and most of the structure will be hidden from view once the Clark St sites get infilled.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2018, 11:44 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Yeah there's no reason they can't paint a mural on the overpass or put some sculptures on it if they want it to look nice

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 2:11 AM

I can't believe that's the first time I've seen that video. Terrific render quality and attention to detail!

My only beef with it is that they put too much emphasis on the redevelopment. Something tells me some of those awkward lots may find it hard for development. But If it's all built out it will probably look pretty clean. And a cool shot looking down Sheffield with the two levels of Brown Line tracks.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 10:01 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
You’re not wrong, it probably will look like a highway structure but a bit narrower. There is a similar structure on the Orange Line at 18th St. The only realistic way (cost-wise) to avoid that appearance is to build an open deck structure like the old-school L structures or like the new Pink Line structure. Unfortunately this would probably create too much noise in the surrounding area, both low frequency vibrations and high frequency screeching, so it would fail Environmental Impact.

I’m not too concerned about it honestly. CTA can still do a decorative treatment on the concrete supports so they look fine from a pedestrian level, and most of the structure will be hidden from view once the Clark St sites get infilled.
The Orange Line at 18th isn't a terrible comparison, but let's not forget that the Orange Line is dual tracks, while the Brown Line bypass is for a single track. So, taking the sides into consideration, the Brown Line bypass should be about 1/3 narrower. There have also been advancements in concrete and steel since 1993, so it's possible it's even more improved than just being half as many tracks.

EDIT: Actually, here you can see each if the two halves of the Orange Line before they're joined - I'd say that the scale of one of these is the absolute worst case for the Brown Line bypass.

Orange Line @ 18th Street
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 11:58 AM

The lawrence - bryn mawr portion of the redline project is going to do a lot to improve the immediate neighborhoods, those tracks and bridges are decrepit eyesores and the lack of ADA compliance in a neighborhood with so many seniors and people with disabilities has long been unacceptable.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 1:40 PM

Illinois mayors: Up tax on fuel to fund transportation needs
Quote:
Support for a 20 to 30 cent per gallon increase on the gas tax to fund statewide transportation and infrastructure was announced by Mayor Rahm Emanuel along with other suburban mayors on Tuesday. Illinois hasn’t passed a statewide bill since 2009 and the gas tax has stayed at 19 cents since 1990.
I guess no one's paying attention to what's happening in France...

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 2:01 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

In 1990 CTA fares were $1. Sounds like the gas tax should go to 50 cents to match the increase.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
In 1990 CTA fares were $1. Sounds like the gas tax should go to 50 cents to match the increase.
yup, long overdue hike

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post

This is very tidy. There are three countries with gas prices higher than France: Italy, Norway and The Netherlands. The three countries with gas prices lower than ours are Russia, Saudi Arabia and Iran.

I hope we're paying attention to indicators like that.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 3:45 PM

Well yea but gas prices in France were already over $6 a gallon from taxes! We are nowhere close to that level in the US, and France has very high taxes in general. Plus, you have to pay high tolls on every expressway in France every 30 miles or so.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 4:39 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post

Haha...you're hilarious.

This completely appropriate and needed gas tax increase will reduce a good bit more nothing from our something for nothing culture.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation