HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
Not sure how this is relevant to the topic of this thread, but for the millionth time, 'good weather' is entirely subjective. Some people don't care for the dryness and lack of greenery in Southern California. Also, coastal California has the most expensive real estate in the country, so it's not really comparable to a place like Cape Coral, which is a destination for middle class retirees.

I feel terrible for the people who had their homes destroyed in this storm, but I acknowledge that much of South Florida should have never been developed to the extent it is in the first place. I hope that people will learn from this catastrophe and that the growth in this area will slow.

It will be interesting to see if these anti-tax, anti-government spending folks who gravitate toward places like SW Florida will keep their beliefs now that they're the ones needing aid. I somehow doubt they will...
Be careful almost lumping in SW and SE Florida together. On the east side of the Everglades is a metro of 6million+ that leans left, while the other side where the storm hit, is what you speak of:

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
I don't get why people move to Florida to begin with. You've got to drive everywhere. The sunlight is so intense that you can't do much during the day. They should rename it the "hide indoors from the midday sunshine state".
Probably one of the dumbest posts in recent memory here (and that is saying something).

It's one thing to say "Florida doesn't appeal to me" or "it's not my cup of tea" but to say "I don't get why people move to Florida to begin with" is stupid. REALLY? You don't know why people move to Florida? No State Tax, Warm/Hot weather year round, year round boating, year round fishing, hundreds of miles of beaches. Come on.

"You've got to drive everywhere"

"Sunlight is so intense you can't do much during the day"

I assume you are not this stupid in real life.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investing In Chicago View Post
It's one thing to say "Florida doesn't appeal to me" or "it's not my cup of tea" but to say "I don't get why people move to Florida to begin with" is stupid. REALLY? You don't know why people move to Florida? No State Tax, Warm/Hot weather year round, year round boating, year round fishing, hundreds of miles of beaches. Come on.
Most of those things are irrelevant or hardly unique. Like the average pensioner or working class person moving to FL is doing it for their 50-foot cabin cruiser for deep sea fishing.

I assume, like many things in life, people move to a place bc other people (family, friends) move to a place. It's more self-perpetuating than something tangibly tied to amenities.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 6:20 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Every single last relative, friend, neighbor, colleague, whatever that I know who moved to Florida did so explicitly and mainly because they HATED Chicago winters, and wanted to move to a place where they would never see a single snowflake ever again.

After this disaster some may move to more inland locations down south, but they sure as shit ain't coming back to the upper midwest

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanImpact View Post
Don't you have to drive everywhere in most of the USA?
In 99% of Florida, yes. Also, Kansas, which has 3,000 feet of elevation change, is "flat", and therefore boring, but nobody seems to mind the the true pancake flatness of Florida, highest point 350ft.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Most of those things are irrelevant or hardly unique. Like the average pensioner or working class person moving to FL is doing it for their 50-foot cabin cruiser for deep sea fishing.

I assume, like many things in life, people move to a place bc other people (family, friends) move to a place. It's more self-perpetuating than something tangibly tied to amenities.
You are delusional in all aspects of actual real life. Doesn't matter if these things are unique, i just listed a handful of reasons people move to Florida. If you can't grasp the fact some people move to Florida because of weather, that says more about you than anything else.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 6:28 PM

Florida also boomed because it had a lower cost of living than the big northern metros, until very recently, which would have been especially important for all of the retirees living on fixed incomes. A lot of what made it cheap though, was building a lot of tract housing (sprawl) in places that are vulnerable to hurricanes.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 6:43 PM

Quote:
You are delusional in all aspects of actual real life. Doesn't matter if these things are unique, i just listed a handful of reasons people move to Florida. If you can't grasp the fact some people move to Florida because of weather, that says more about you than anything else.
I agree a ton of people move to FL to avoid snow (and are afraid or ignorant of other states with no snow). I don't agree that a ton of people move to FL for deep sea fishing, boating or whatnot.

And I definitely believe people move where their friends-family move. Most of my parents' friends have homes in the Naples area, simply bc that's where their type of people (suburban Detroit affluent GOP boomers) move. If all your friends are in Naples, why would you move to the Panhandle, or the Carolinas?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 6:53 PM

Quote:
"Sunlight is so intense you can't do much during the day"
Backpacking, mountain biking, and long-distance cycling is what I do. Florida has sunlight but not shade. It doesn't have woods. You're just out there, exposed, to sunlight that is literally 4X more intense than the summer sunlight around the Great Lakes (take a photo light meter reading in both places if you don't believe me).

This means you can go out for 2-3 hours, tops. You can't backpack or bike for 10 hours. You'll end up in the hospital.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I agree a ton of people move to FL to avoid snow (and are afraid or ignorant of other states with no snow). I don't agree that a ton of people move to FL for deep sea fishing, boating or whatnot.

And I definitely believe people move where their friends-family move. Most of my parents' friends have homes in the Naples area, simply bc that's where their type of people (suburban Detroit affluent GOP boomers) move. If all your friends are in Naples, why would you move to the Panhandle, or the Carolinas?
I certainly didn't say a "ton of people" move to FL for deep sea fishing, I said year round boating and year round fishing are reasons people move to FL, which is true. Florida has more boats registered than any other state in the country. Boating and Fishing appeal to a specific group of people and those people will move to FL to participate in those activities year round. Similar to Golf. I know quite a few people who moved to Florida at a relatively young age 40's and the top reasons would be: 1. Tax Benefits 2. Weather 3. Boating/Golfing

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
HATED Chicago winters, and wanted to move to a place where they would never see a single snowflake ever again.

So now they watch TV with the AC on instead of the heat.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Backpacking, mountain biking, and long-distance cycling is what I do. Florida has sunlight but not shade. It doesn't have woods. You're just out there, exposed, to sunlight that is literally 4X more intense than the summer sunlight around the Great Lakes (take a photo light meter reading in both places if you don't believe me).

This means you can go out for 2-3 hours, tops. You can't backpack or bike for 10 hours. You'll end up in the hospital.
That's fine and dandy, but here is what you said:

Quote:
The sunlight is so intense that you can't do much during the day.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galleyfox View Post
I really hope this is a misquote. Or the estimates are way off.

Typically I would expect 50-100 deaths from a hurricane like this. The worst Florida hurricanes had hundreds, sometimes over a thousand deaths.

https://twitter.com/Breaking_4_News/...8eCHx-1s1uk0zQ
There is no way its the deadliest storm in Florida history. A storm in 1928 killed 4000 people (2500 of them in FL).

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 6:58 PM

FWIW, I love tropical weather and I also don't get the appeal of Florida.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 7:01 PM

If Florida were truly tropical and had rainforest, or tropical mountain climes, it would be amazing. But it's basically scrubby, subtropical, no shade sprawl. Of course most people don't care.

I get the appeal of Miami, but more typical FL places like Marco Island are beyond me. Ticky-tack homes in scrubland. Unwalkable and everyone mostly hiding indoors.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 7:14 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
So now they watch TV with the AC on instead of the heat.
And never shoveling snow again, so from their perspective, MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!

being located 200 miles south, perhaps the Cincy area doesn't breed nearly as much outright snow hatred as the great lakes region does?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 7:19 PM

At least not yet....

FTX Swaps Windy City For Magic City, Relocating To Miami From Chicago...

Cryptocurrency exchange service FTX appears to be the latest corporate powerhouse to swap Chicago for South Florida, hot on the heels of Citadel Securities announcing a similar move in June.

FTX CEO Sam Bankman-Fried said the Bahamas-based financial company would move its U.S. headquarters to Miami via Twitter Tuesday, also announcing the firm's U.S. president, Brett Harrison, is resigning from the company.

The news comes just a few months after FTX made headlines for opening a new 9K SF office building in the heart of Chicago, the South Florida Business Journal reports...

https://www.bisnow.com/south-florida...chicago-115628

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
And never shoveling snow again, so from their perspective, MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!
I hear that too, but don't these people realize you can pay someone to clear your driveway? Or just move to a condo or other development where the community perform such services?

It's weird. It's like moving from Florida to Minnesota to greatly shorten the grass-cutting season.

Also, with global warming, how often does someone really need to shovel/snowblow in a typical winter in say Cleveland or Detroit? Maybe 3-4 times?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 7:22 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8721 View Post
There is no way its the deadliest storm in Florida history. A storm in 1928 killed 4000 people (2500 of them in FL).
Good thing for warning systems and forecasts. Imagine a world where that wasn't present. Would be a massacre every Fall.

Would be interesting to live life like that though. Like assume we have our current way of life but the only tech we didn't have was the ability to forecast weather.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
At least not yet....

FTX Swaps Windy City For Magic City, Relocating To Miami From Chicago...

Cryptocurrency exchange service FTX appears to be the latest corporate powerhouse to swap Chicago for South Florida, hot on the heels of Citadel Securities announcing a similar move in June.

FTX CEO Sam Bankman-Fried said the Bahamas-based financial company would move its U.S. headquarters to Miami via Twitter Tuesday, also announcing the firm's U.S. president, Brett Harrison, is resigning from the company.

The news comes just a few months after FTX made headlines for opening a new 9K SF office building in the heart of Chicago, the South Florida Business Journal reports...

https://www.bisnow.com/south-florida...chicago-115628
"Corporate powerhouse" lmao. The company is three years old. Citadel it is not.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions