HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 3:39 AM

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 4:52 AM

Great news!

Regina executive committee approves shared e-scooter program

https://www.cjme.com/2023/03/29/regi...ooter-program/

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 12:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
Great news!

Regina executive committee approves shared e-scooter program

https://www.cjme.com/2023/03/29/regi...ooter-program/
It’s a big meh for me. Especially since private scooters are outlawed, which is an absolute farce.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 1:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
“Doing the opposite of what most city planning experts recommend” should be our city motto.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 1:59 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
“Doing the opposite of what most city planning experts recommend” should be our city motto.
It isn't already?

I'm not opposed to re-opening Scarth Street, but everything this city has done always seems like a butchered compromise. The plaza should never have been open to traffic at all. By doing that the design team had to make so many compromises on designing the space. Pretty much every week I see someone driving the wrong way down plaza so that they can try to navigate the Scarth and 12th intersection without being able to see if the light is red, because it only faces the Westbound traffic on 12th.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 2:26 PM

Quote:
It’s a big meh for me. Especially since private scooters are outlawed, which is an absolute farce.
I read the story and still can't understand the reasoning to defeat the amendment to allow the use of private e-scooters. It's akin to saying that you can rent a car from Hertz, Budget, etc. but can't drive your own vehicle on Regina's streets (or sidewalks, public highways, boulevards, pedestrian malls in this case). I've witnessed the use of rental e-scooters in Calgary several times and my impression is that the majority of e-scooter rentals occur in the evening and are being used by people that wouldn't likely pass a roadside sobriety check. Privately owned e-scooters are doubtlessly used more responsibly.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 2:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
It isn't already?

I'm not opposed to re-opening Scarth Street, but everything this city has done always seems like a butchered compromise. The plaza should never have been open to traffic at all. By doing that the design team had to make so many compromises on designing the space. Pretty much every week I see someone driving the wrong way down plaza so that they can try to navigate the Scarth and 12th intersection without being able to see if the light is red, because it only faces the Westbound traffic on 12th.
Its because our current city council is driven by the loudest and richest voices of the business community. They have no concern over the citizens or other businesses that their decisions may effect. They didn't even bother to consult with Folk Festival or Regina Farmers Market over the 11th Ave rehab plans, for instance. They will be kicked out of downtown for 3 years, if not permanently because of this. I can't even imagine what it will be like for businesses along 11th Ave during this time. Work like this needs to be done but it would be nice if it was done in a cooperative and democratic manner.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 2:38 PM

Quote:
It isn't already?

The interesting this about the plaza was that it was supposed to be open to traffic and was designed with that in mind. The weird set up they have now (which is far more confusing to traffic and pedestrians) was because people pushed for it to be pedestrian-only. If they want to open Scarth St to traffic then okay, but it needs to be thought out and not an afterthought like the plaza was.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
I read the story and still can't understand the reasoning to defeat the amendment to allow the use of private e-scooters. It's akin to saying that you can rent a car from Hertz, Budget, etc. but can't drive your own vehicle on Regina's streets (or sidewalks, public highways, boulevards, pedestrian malls in this case). I've witnessed the use of rental e-scooters in Calgary several times and my impression is that the majority of e-scooter rentals occur in the evening and are being used by people that wouldn't likely pass a roadside sobriety check. Privately owned e-scooters are doubtlessly used more responsibly.
It does seem weird. My only thought is that if they’re doing it as a pilot they want to have some idea over the volume of scooters and discourage people from buying their own if it turns out to be a bust (which it won’t, it’s not like this is a groundbreaking idea).

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 3:47 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrannyMuffin View Post
The interesting this about the plaza was that it was supposed to be open to traffic and was designed with that in mind. The weird set up they have now (which is far more confusing to traffic and pedestrians) was because people pushed for it to be pedestrian-only. If they want to open Scarth St to traffic then okay, but it needs to be thought out and not an afterthought like the plaza was.
My recollection could totally be wrong, but I thought it was supposed to be pedestrian and non-traffic.

Completely agreed on the thinking out the plan for Scarth Street. Which should include how to ensure existing businesses survive construction and new businesses are enticed to the street to fill vacancies.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Its because our current city council is driven by the loudest and richest voices of the business community. They have no concern over the citizens or other businesses that their decisions may effect. They didn't even bother to consult with Folk Festival or Regina Farmers Market over the 11th Ave rehab plans, for instance. They will be kicked out of downtown for 3 years, if not permanently because of this. I can't even imagine what it will be like for businesses along 11th Ave during this time. Work like this needs to be done but it would be nice if it was done in a cooperative and democratic manner.
I feel for the businesses, especially on West 11th that have worked hard to bring some vibrancy and variety to downtown. I sincerely hope they are consulted and accomodated during this process. I really don't understand why re-habbing 11th has to displace the Folk Fest and Farmer's market however. Can't these events continue to use 12th, Lorne, Scarth and Victoria during this? In any event, if the city botches it and jeopordizes these institutions it will prove beyond a doubt that this council has no desire to revitalize downtown. FF and the Farmer's Market are exactly the kinds of things downtown needs more of and I'd argue, far more important than any Grey Cup, Memorial Cup or Frost festival. I think our new slogan should be The City that repeats everyone else's mistakes.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboy View Post
I feel for the businesses, especially on West 11th that have worked hard to bring some vibrancy and variety to downtown. I sincerely hope they are consulted and accomodated during this process. I really don't understand why re-habbing 11th has to displace the Folk Fest and Farmer's market however. Can't these events continue to use 12th, Lorne, Scarth and Victoria during this? In any event, if the city botches it and jeopordizes these institutions it will prove beyond a doubt that this council has no desire to revitalize downtown. FF and the Farmer's Market are exactly the kinds of things downtown needs more of and I'd argue, far more important than any Grey Cup, Memorial Cup or Frost festival. I think our new slogan should be The City that repeats everyone else's mistakes.
I also don’t get how the 11th Avenue rehab will cause huge issues for Folk Fest being in Victoria park.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 5:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I also don’t get how the 11th Avenue rehab will cause huge issues for Folk Fest being in Victoria park.
As far as I know, Victoria Park and the plaza are going to be used to store a lot of equipment and materials for the project, which is also concerning. Apparently the Farmers Market was given 53 days notice that they will not be able to use the plaza this year. This is how little the mayor and council gives a shit.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 5:58 PM

Scarth Street

I'm curious what everyone's take on this is. I feel like the city is intent on being regressive in every way. Aside from Victoria Park, F.W. Hill Mall is the only place downtown where pedestrians are prioritized over cars. I get that bars and cafes could benefit from curbside pcik up and delivery but don we not have aleys on either side? I really don't feel that trends around skip the dishes, etc. should be dictating urban planning policy. It also irks me that the exectuive director of RDBID is comparing this to Argyle Street in Halifax, where they took a traditional street and further pedestrianized it to accomodate the theatre and restaurants etc. Here we are doing the opposite.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 6:00 PM

Quote:
As far as I know, Victoria Park and the plaza are going to be used to store a lot of equipment and materials for the project, which is also concerning. Apparently the Farmers Market was given 53 days notice that they will not be able to use the plaza this year. This is how little the mayor and council gives a shit.
THIS year?! I thought 11th wasn't starting until next year and Dewdney was starting this year. What about RFF then? I'm all for revitalizing these streets but you can't hang all the stakeholdes out to dry with no planning or communication.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 6:00 PM

Quote:
The “temporary” Harvard Developments Agriculture Place parking lot at 1755 Hamilton Street would be a good spot to store stuff.

Also Rose Street. Lots of room to store equipment and materials.

Last edited by one_brick_at_a_time; Mar 30, 2023 at 6:14 PM.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 6:18 PM

Quote:
The “temporary” Harvard Developments Agriculture Place parking lot at 1755 Hamilton Street would be a good spot to store stuff.

Also Rose Street. Lots of room to store equipment and materials.

Excellent point!

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 7:06 PM
arf

There's also the Namerind lot right on 11th. I swear city council is here to make life the worst for residents. I actually did a lot of research on candidates last election and thought I was making reasonable choices.

It seems like what goes on in the city is way deeper than council itself.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 7:25 PM

Quote:
There's also the Namerind lot right on 11th. I swear city council is here to make life the worst for residents. I actually did a lot of research on candidates last election and thought I was making reasonable choices.

It seems like what goes on in the city is way deeper than council itself.
I agree. This city has a long history of corrupt landowners.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 8:41 PM

Next we're going to find out that due to bridge work on Albert and Broad, Wascana Park will be closed for two years to store concrete.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan