HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 10, 2023, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArwelLiving View Post
I know there are some passionate housing advocates on this page and I thought I'd let everyone know if you haven't seen on Social Media as of yet, we are working with North Central Family Centre on their upcoming RHI Project.

North Central Family Centre will be hosting a Community Conversation on the upcoming RHI City Stream Project they are embarking on in North Central.

Date: March 16th
Time: 5:30pm Supper
6:00 Opening Prayer and Introduction
6:30 Break/Visual Listening
6:45 Community Conversation

Location: Mamaweyatitan Centre Multi-Purpose Room 3355 6th Avenue

The NCFC Team along with some members of ours and the 1080 Architecture Team will be on hand to facilitate conversation and dialogue on this exciting project!
I’ve been following this. Can’t wait to see it play out!

Old Posted Mar 10, 2023, 3:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArwelLiving View Post
I know there are some passionate housing advocates on this page and I thought I'd let everyone know if you haven't seen on Social Media as of yet, we are working with North Central Family Centre on their upcoming RHI Project.

North Central Family Centre will be hosting a Community Conversation on the upcoming RHI City Stream Project they are embarking on in North Central.

Date: March 16th
Time: 5:30pm Supper
6:00 Opening Prayer and Introduction
6:30 Break/Visual Listening
6:45 Community Conversation

Location: Mamaweyatitan Centre Multi-Purpose Room 3355 6th Avenue

The NCFC Team along with some members of ours and the 1080 Architecture Team will be on hand to facilitate conversation and dialogue on this exciting project!
Awesome! It will be exciting to see this project play out! Thanks for sharing!

Oh man look at that too...Non Profit & Private Sector working together!! Imagine that eh? Who would have thought that was possible...

Old Posted Mar 10, 2023, 12:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newstart View Post

Oh man look at that too...Non Profit & Private Sector working together!! Imagine that eh? Who would have thought that was possible...
With the help of public funding… Projects like this are better than nothing and this is not a criticism of this specific project but a) they are only scratching the surface, b) are essentially a hand out to private interests, and c) continues the commodification of housing, which will result in housing prices continuing to rise at unsustainable levels. When it comes to affordable housing, at the least, we don't need private interests involved in the ownership of them. Doing so and commodifying housing was a purely neoliberal ideological decision made by governments at the behest of the ownership class and is the main reason why housing is so expensive today. Don't make me re-litigate this entire thing because I've already explained it. Its on you if you still don't understand.

Last edited by djforsberg; Mar 10, 2023 at 1:25 PM.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2023, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
With the help of public funding… Projects like this are better than nothing and this is not a criticism of this specific project but a) they are only scratching the surface, b) are essentially a hand out to private interests, and c) continues the commodification of housing, which will result in housing prices continuing to rise at unsustainable levels. When it comes to affordable housing, at the least, we don't need private interests involved in the ownership of them. Doing so and commodifying housing was a purely neoliberal ideological decision made by governments at the behest of the ownership class and is the main reason why housing is so expensive today. Don't make me re-litigate this entire thing because I've already explained it. Its on you if you still don't understand.
Oh God. Thank You man. Thank You so much for showing how out of touch with the programs and realities you really are. RHI Funded projects do NOT have any private Ownerships involved. They are 100% Owned by Non Profits. FULL STOP condition of funding.

Take a moment before you keep spouting off and Educate yourself to the programs that the Federal Government has in place before you go off on a Tirade of "commodifying" housing.

You have no concept of why housing is so expensive other than your flawed ideological beliefs vs founded in actual realities of costs.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2023, 4:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Oh God. Thank You man. Thank You so much for showing how out of touch with the programs and realities you really are. RHI Funded projects do NOT have any private Ownerships involved. They are 100% Owned by Non Profits. FULL STOP condition of funding.

Take a moment before you keep spouting off and Educate yourself to the programs that the Federal Government has in place before you go off on a Tirade of "commodifying" housing.
Arwel Living and Avana Homes are non-profits?

Quote:
You have no concept of why housing is so expensive other than your flawed ideological beliefs vs founded in actual realities of costs.
I am sick of your dismissing of my knowledge of this subject. It is extremely ignorant and elitist. You are clearly emotional and reacting to people not agreeing with your worldview. Why don't YOU tell us why housing has become so expensive? If you are saying its because of zoning, well, that is purposely being restricted in order to keep property values high so it benefits both existing home owners and those who own rentals.

I guarantee you I know more about this topic than you think I do.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2023, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Arwel Living and Avana Homes are non-profits?

I am sick of your dismissing of my knowledge of this subject. It is extremely ignorant and elitist. You are clearly emotional and reacting to people not agreeing with your worldview. Why don't YOU tell us why housing has become so expensive? If you are saying its because of zoning, well, that is purposely being restricted in order to keep property values high so it benefits both existing home owners and those who own rentals.

I guarantee you I know more about this topic than you think I do.
youre very comment is far more elitist and ignorant than anything I've said. You are wonderful at deflecting the facts in my comments and just spinning it around in hypebole.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2023, 5:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
youre very comment is far more elitist and ignorant than anything I've said. You are wonderful at deflecting the facts in my comments and just spinning it around in hypebole.
Answer my questions, please. If what you are saying are indeed facts, bring the receipts.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2023, 5:51 PM

Quote:

Newstart can you post some photos , thank you for all your knowledge

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 4:58 AM

Further info on this project from the City…

https://www.regina.ca/news/North-Cen...using-Project/

Last edited by one_brick_at_a_time; Mar 17, 2023 at 5:25 AM.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 3:16 PM

5th and Angus is ground zero for crime and structure fires in Regina. There is more crime and fires within 3 blocks of this location than anywhere in Regina. I wish them luck. I guess you need to start somewhere to clean up a neighbourhood.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 5:02 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
5th and Angus is ground zero for crime and structure fires in Regina. There is more crime and fires within 3 blocks of this location than anywhere in Regina. I wish them luck. I guess you need to start somewhere to clean up a neighbourhood.
You can only "clean it up" one of two ways: moving socioeconomically-disadvantaged people, and thus the issues, elsewhere (kicking the can down the road), or resolve the root causes of those socioeconomic issues (using power to solve problems). We all know which route will be taken.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 5:50 PM

Quote:
You can only "clean it up" one of two ways: moving socioeconomically-disadvantaged people, and thus the issues, elsewhere (kicking the can down the road), or resolve the root causes of those socioeconomic issues (using power to solve problems). We all know which route will be taken.
No Pleasing the Master eh? Isn't investing public money in the midst of the area a step to working resolving the socio economic issues? In addition to the plans Cowesses have and Piapot also have on their urban reserve lands directly to the south?

It doesn't change overnight. Its a step in the right direction, the first significant investment that starts to address some of the issues in North Central in who knows how long.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 6:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
No Pleasing the Master eh? Isn't investing public money in the midst of the area a step to working resolving the socio economic issues? In addition to the plans Cowesses have and Piapot also have on their urban reserve lands directly to the south?

It doesn't change overnight. Its a step in the right direction, the first significant investment that starts to address some of the issues in North Central in who knows how long.
I was referring to Stormer’s comments about crime in the area.

Btw I’m still waiting for you to answer my questions from 10 days ago.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 5:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post

Further info on this project from the City…

https://www.regina.ca/news/North-Cen...using-Project/
https://www.regina.ca/export/sites/R...gus-Street.pdf

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
Proposed 6-storey, 38-unit residential building - 1222 15th Avenue (by the General Hospital and Malty National)

Great news!

Old Posted Apr 16, 2023, 5:28 AM

Regina supportive housing unit construction on track for August occupancy

https://www.cjme.com/2023/04/14/regi...ust-occupancy/

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 4:51 PM

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 5:30 PM

Its great to see this one finally getting closer to being completed. Over a year late, but better late than never.

My concern is long term how a building like this stands up. Modular Construction is notoriously cheap. A good example is all the modern modular apartments that have been built in Regina, not even 10 yrs old and starting to look like a dogs breakfast.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Its great to see this one finally getting closer to being completed. Over a year late, but better late than never.

My concern is long term how a building like this stands up. Modular Construction is notoriously cheap. A good example is all the modern modular apartments that have been built in Regina, not even 10 yrs old and starting to look like a dogs breakfast.
It's affordable housing. If you build it like the Taj Mahal, you will get much less of it. It is a lot better than those ridiculous sea can projects they are doing elsewhere. Those make little sense to me.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
It's affordable housing. If you build it like the Taj Mahal, you will get much less of it. It is a lot better than those ridiculous sea can projects they are doing elsewhere. Those make little sense to me.
I agree in respect to the seacan projects. Those are ridiculous. BUT 7.75 Mil from the Feds. I can only imagine the province is kicking in something too. approximately 300,000/door by the time the dust settles, that seems to me like more than a market project costs to build. If its supposed to be rapid there is a benefit I suppose, but it doesn't seem too rapid to me, AND if its got a useful lifespan of 10-20 years, vs a traditional build, isn't that just kicking the problem down the path for another generation to deal with vs providing real long term housing solutions?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan