HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 11, 2023, 7:11 PM
surely you agree with me

I’m definitely not opposed to them but for such a big intervention they just don’t connect things to things. I personally can’t envision where I’d be going to use them. A north-south connection for OV should be the top priority. Connect OV to the rest of the city.

I wish it at least connected to the Maryland Bridge and Sherbrook lane instead of spitting you out on to a terrifying stretch of Wellington. I ride on the sidewalk from Stradbrook to the bridge when I’m there.

I heard that the Moving on Marion plan is 15 years from implementation.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2023, 7:45 PM

Agree, if it connected to Maryland and Sherbrooke bridge, say if there was a bike lane on Wellington there, you'd have a pretty pleasant cycling way to and from The Forks on both sides of the river. Maybe one day?

Old Posted Mar 11, 2023, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
I heard that the Moving on Marion plan is 15 years from implementation.
Yikes. I didn't realize it was so far out. Though Goulet is in such rough shape, I'll hold out some hope that that component will be dealt with sooner.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2023, 10:10 PM

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalf View Post
Yikes. I didn't realize it was so far out. Though Goulet is in such rough shape, I'll hold out some hope that that component will be dealt with sooner.
Yea couldn't they do like what was done to Pembina? Add the bike lanes when rehab is being done? It's piecemeal but two-birds-one-stone that would reduce overall capital spending.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2023, 10:32 PM

Hooray for more protection from being killed while riding my bicycle! Looking forward to this.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2023, 9:24 PM

*15 years* in the old lady from Titantic voice.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2023, 1:30 AM

I am moving to Winnipeg from Steinbach in April and I am so excited to be able to bike places, I know Winnipeg isn't known for its AT infrastructure, but it is way better than Steinbach and I am looking forward to it.

I still have to commute to the Steinbach area 3 days per week though...

Old Posted Mar 15, 2023, 3:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyk View Post
I am moving to Winnipeg from Steinbach in April and I am so excited to be able to bike places, I know Winnipeg isn't known for its AT infrastructure, but it is way better than Steinbach and I am looking forward to it.

That's a long ride.jk

Old Posted Mar 15, 2023, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyk View Post

I always thought smaller communities were pretty bike friendly? Nothing is really too far to cycle to in Steinbach, and really other than the main drags of PTH 12/52 which are pretty busy, most other streets are fairly quiet and don't have excessively heavy traffic.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2023, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
That's a long ride.jk
I do weekend rides to my parent's place in Steinbach and back to my place in North Kildonan during the summer. It's pretty fast unless there's a headwind both ways.

Steinbach has no real cycling infrastructure. There are a few sharrows - but paint isn't infrastructure. And one or two multiuse paths. Some actually connecting areas in good ways. But those are mostly used by elderly people walking (like my parents).
But agreeing with esquire, it doesn't really need much. I cycled around the streets in Steinbach a lot in the years before I moved to Winnipeg. Nearly everything is low speed streets aside from from the mile square and the highways. And main has enough lights, and is wide enough that it isn't a problem.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 3:37 PM

For anyone that still seriously thinks mixed use pathways are okay in Winnipeg for pedestrians and bikes, including ebikes, to share a space look at this. That is the direction ebikes are moving towards. They do not require a license to operate, can do 32 km/h and currently are allowed anywhere bikes are. Yes this Fiat is technically not an ebike, yet, and isn't available in North America, yet, but it is the direction the market is heading.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 3:39 PM

Yes, someone is going to point on why that "isn't a bike" but factually this one is an ebike and there are similar ones that have been in Manitoba already. Considering the Fiat is being marketed in Europe as essentially a car for teens that don't have licenses and the growth of full fledged road going EVs in Canada it won't be long until we see something like the Fiat as an ebike here.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 3:44 PM

I would look to Asia for answers to this issue... although they're somewhat new here, ebikes have been very popular there for over 25 years. I'm sure they have sorted out some of the best ways to deal with this.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
For anyone that still seriously thinks mixed use pathways are okay in Winnipeg for pedestrians and bikes, including ebikes, to share a space look at this. That is the direction ebikes are moving towards. They do not require a license to operate, can do 32 km/h and currently are allowed anywhere bikes are. Yes this Fiat is technically not an ebike, yet, and isn't available in North America, yet, but it is the direction the market is heading.

Comparing this to e-bikes is a bit ingenuous. Many urban municipalities have begun to regulate e-scooters and I don't think e-bike regulation will be far behind.

If you're an avid manual power cycler you can already hit a steady 25km/hr. pace on any multi use pathway in the city. We have giant trucks and SUV's flying around a mere foot away from every major pedestrian corridor in the city. I would think regulation of those types of vehicles should be more of a priority in regards to everyone's safety.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 6:05 PM

I find people who drive those battery-powered mopeds on sidewalks/bike lanes incredibly annoying.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestEndWander View Post
Comparing this to e-bikes is a bit ingenuous. Many urban municipalities have begun to regulate e-scooters and I don't think e-bike regulation will be far behind.
If you think companies aren't working on ways to bring something like that Fiat out and call it an ebike in North America the only person you are fooling is yourself. It is just a matter of time.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 9:13 PM

Quote:
If you think companies aren't working on ways to bring something like that Fiat out and call it an ebike in North America the only person you are fooling is yourself. It is just a matter of time.
You seem to think that just cause something is called an ebike it will automatically be allowed wherever bikes are. You know things can be outlawed pretty easily.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2023, 7:07 AM

Quote:
Yes, someone is going to point on why that "isn't a bike" but factually this one is an ebike
Explain how this go-kart (and go-kart is what Berg calls it) is an e-bike. It's not a bicycle* and it doesn't have an electric motor. The Manitoba HTA already has a definition for "power-assisted bicycles" and it specifically says not more than three wheels in contact with the ground, and handlebars for steering, among other criteria.

Quote:
Considering the Fiat is being marketed in Europe as essentially a car for teens that don't have licenses and the growth of full fledged road going EVs in Canada it won't be long until we see something like the Fiat as an ebike here.
It's essentially a car, therefore it's an e-bike? I don't follow. That Fiat thing will explicitly not be considered a power-assisted bicycle and would subject to the same rules as ORVs like UTVs and golf carts (The Off Road Vehicles Act). It's absolutely not going to "be allowed anywhere bikes are" in this province.

*it's a bicycle under the HTA because the HTA allows a bicycle to have any number of wheels, but it must be purely pedal-powered. It also says the person must sit astride it, which should rule this out but if recumbent bikes are allowed, this would be similar.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 11:26 PM

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/gillingh...ipeg-1.6434841

Gillingham is pushing for Winnipeg to participate in 529 Garage. This is a fantastic step toward clamping down on bike theft, and should be supported. 529 Garage is credited with being the major factor behind a 40% reduction in bike theft in Vancouver, where the program originated. It's dirt cheap, too — A nominal fee for the City to participate, and ideally, a single detective detailed to the program.

The syllogism is this:
  1. Bikes are stolen a lot
  2. Police frequently find bikes they believe are stolen
  3. Without identifying marks, it is nigh impossible to prove a bike is stolen, or if it is, who its legal owner is
  • It is therefore difficult to return stolen bikes to the owner

Compounding this:
  1. A surprising amount of bike theft is by organized crime
  2. Stolen bikes are quickly moved to other jurisdictions to evade whatever local registries police maintain

A particular Calgary-based bike youtuber has more for the interested:

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 16, 2023, 7:44 PM

Quote:
[...] bikes are a frequently used transportation mode for people committing crimes. The anonymity of a bike makes it easy to traffic drugs and commit other crimes.
- Councillor Jeff Browaty
https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/op...ters-june-16-5

When I disagree with people, I can generally recognize that they're often a reasonable person who are either starting from different information or placing different relative weights on their values than me. Jeff Browaty is not one of those reasonable people.

I'd respect him more if he just came out and said, "I hate bicycles and the people who ride them. I will use all the power available to me to banish them from our roads." It wouldn't actually change anything about his policies, but it would be refreshingly honest.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan