HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 12:52 AM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
Wow, I didn't know such a daily commute across the border was possible. Some kids on the islands in Lake Erie fly to school every day on the Ohio mainland.
That's pretty crazy - commuting to school by plane. I suppose after a while it begins to feel normal. This is the normal commute to school for a kid on Mackinac Island. No cars or buses allowed. Your options are bike, horse, and good 'ol walking (or snowmobile, which is quite popular in the winter) -

Source: Pinterest

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 2:44 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
For the last 4 years, the main "unwritten rule" I can think of in San Francisco was, "don't wear anything implying support for Trump." It could get you killed and likely would get you insulted and assaulted.
Name one time this has happened.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 2:15 PM

Quote:
On both sides of the country. Plenty of Mexicans work in the US (legally) and I once had an Arizona neighbor who worked in Mexico.
I knew about workers but not school kids.

Here is an article on the students who commute to/from the Lake Erie Islands:
https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/...ing-in-a-plane

If you want to waste some time, look up the 1960s proposal to build a bridge between Ohio and Ontario using the islands.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 2:35 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
I once attended a summer day camp in Windsor, ON. My father crossed the border twice a day Mon-Fri to drop off/pick up.
my neice married a windsor guy and they live there. he works in windsor and she commutes to detroit to work every day. she's an essential worker, so it never stopped during the pandemic.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 2:57 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

jaywalking (sometimes aka bronx walking or city walking) is a human right in nyc, where residents have never conceded the streets to cars despite every effort by automakers and legislators.

there is a new proposal to formally legalize it in the city (it is legal per nys). it seems there are more accidents in crosswalks by turning drivers and also do i have to say that the rarely enforced law is used disporportionately against people of color? also, the dam e-bikes, which are completely silent, are not helping matters with drivers whizzing around corners. so the middle of the street is quite often the safest place to cross.

city streets used to be public places and the history of handing them over to cars is quite interesting:

https://www.vox.com/2015/1/15/755187...alking-history
https://gothamist.com/arts-entertain...walking-in-nyc
https://www.theroot.com/nypd-doesnt-...liv-1840901784

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 4:26 PM

In Toronto there's no better way to draw attention to yourself as a tourist than to try to pass a streetcar that's stopped with the doors open. You won't make that mistake twice.

On highways there's an unwritten rule that you only drive in the right lane if you're about to exit. Sometimes it's the fastest lane to drive in because it's so empty. The left lane is a constant battle between people who treat it as a passing lane and people who think it's their god given right to drive in whatever lane they want. In the rest of the lanes anything goes. "Keep right except to pass" is a foreign concept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boisebro View Post
Boise:
5 – If thy mountains gettest snow and thy resorts doth open, thou must callest in sick and partake in the glorious blessing of fresh powder.
In Ontario we have loads of skiers but no actual mountains, so the local ski hills (and some of the mountains in Quebec) get completely overrun on weekends. The snow is mostly manmade, groomed, and icy. On the rare occasion that a ski resort gets fresh powder on a weekend, you have to get there within half an hour of opening or you might as well not even bother. It gets tracked out almost immediately and nobody knows how the hell to ski in it. On the flip side, if we're skiing out west and it gets icy suddenly we're heroes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
In Canada's capital city of Ottawa, when skating on the Rideau Canal (the world's largest skating rink), it's perfectly cool and safe to leave your boots under a bench or in one of the shelters unguarded when you're out skating.

No one in a million years would expect your boots to get stolen.
The same rule applies at every public rink and ski resort that I've been to. Stealing someone's boots at either one is the worst crime you can commit. It's just not done. Also, who wants to wear another person's footwear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
The problem with the Pittsburgh Left is when people allow like 5 people to go in front of them... thinking they’re being so considerate, right? No, they’re being terribly inconsiderate to all the people behind them who now won’t get through the light. Or when people stop in traffic (not at an intersection) to allow a left turner to turn in front of them for no fucking reason whatsoever, nearly causing cars behind them to ram into their back.

Hear you on 28... it can be total slot car racing through the twists and turns. Speed limit is 45
A good rule of thumb more people should follow: don't be courteous, be predictable.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 6:56 PM

Wearing a mask lol. The state keeps trying to stop us but we just keep doing it.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 8:04 PM
Resu Deretsiger

If you don't have a truck you might be from "the bay area".

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt angle View Post
Name one time this has happened.
Quote:
Man arrested in SF Trump supporter assault
BAY AREA
by: Associated Press
Posted: Oct 20, 2020 / 06:53 AM PDT / Updated: Oct 20, 2020 / 05:10 PM PDT

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — San Francisco police have made an arrest in the weekend assault of a Trump supporter and free speech rally organizer who lost two front teeth, officials said Monday.

San Francisco police said they arrested Adroa Anderson, 35, of Watsonville in Oakland on Sunday. He was booked into the San Francisco jail on charges of mayhem with a hate crime enhancement . . . .
https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/...orter-assault/

Satisfied?

I love this interview. The guy not only has a great smile but he's pretty accurate about how it is: https://www.kron4.com/news/trump-sup...stro-district/

Last edited by Pedestrian; Mar 10, 2021 at 8:45 PM.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 8:48 PM
<-- Chicago's roots.

I’m surprised nobody has mentioned putting Ketchup on Hot Dogs for Chicago.

Common - Resurrection (Video Mix)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmOd0GKuztE

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segun View Post
Bwah ha... Yeah, well, Ketchup is some kind of sweet tomato sauce, and they like sweet things in your country.
They put plenty of sugar in any European, Asian, Indian or Mexican condiment, then they swallow it all day long. Don't they?

I guess barbecue sauce is decent on hot dog sausages. But don't eat too much of it anyway. Pork and sugar are like booze and any addictive drug, very unhealthy in high dose.

But you can have some from time to time. Nothing would kill you as long as you take it moderately.
In other words, as long as you remain independent from their addictions, you live long, in a better shape.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
Bwah ha... Yeah, well, Ketchup is some kind of sweet tomato sauce, and they like sweet things in your country.
They put plenty of sugar in any European, Asian, Indian or Mexican condiment, then they swallow it all day long. Don't they?

I guess barbecue sauce is decent on hot dog sausages. But don't eat too much of it anyway. Pork and sugar are like booze and any addictive drug, very unhealthy in high dose.

But you can have some from time to time. Nothing would kill you as long as you take it moderately.
In other words, as long as you remain independent from their addictions, you live long, in a better shape.
Although it seems like a natural combination, I suspect that putting barbecue sauce on a hot dog will get you ridiculed in every corner of the United States.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segun View Post
I was born and raised in the Washington DC metro and I've always put ketchup on hot dogs sometimes. I like hot dogs all sorts of ways: "Chicago style", "Sonoran", just onions and mustard, ketchup and relish, ketchup and onions . . . Depends on my mood.

I AM especially partial to Sabrett's (New York) onion sauce on 'em though.

Quote:
Although it seems like a natural combination, I suspect that putting barbecue sauce on a hot dog will get you ridiculed in every corner of the United States.
Ridicule away then. I haven't actually done it, but mayo and BBQ sauce sounds good.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Ridicule away then. I haven't actually done it, but mayo and BBQ sauce sounds good.
I'm never afraid to go against the grain, so I wouldn't hesitate to try it. Just pointing out that it might be controversial.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Are you seriously thinking for a single second that I would be scared to be "ridiculed" in your country? I'm laughing. Dude, I simply don't give a shit... You don't even realize.

I'm from Paris, France. I can afford to try any fucking kind of food combo that I want, people will always be interested in it as something funny anyway.
I don't care, I swear.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 10:23 PM
BANNED

Quote:
No.

You said you could get killed for supporting Trump. Something that has never happened.

Conservative victim mentality remains undefeated.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
Ketchup is some kind of sweet tomato sauce, and they like sweet things in your country.
We've been over this before. The defining ingredient in ketchup is not the sugar, it's the vinegar. After tomatoes, vinegar is the second ingredient on my Heinz ketchup bottle. Sugar is third, ahead of salt, onion powder, "spices" and "natural flavoring" in that order.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 10:32 PM

Quote:
No.

You said you could get killed for supporting Trumo. Something that has never happened.

Conservative victim mentality remains undefeated.
There have been numerous incidents and neither of us actually knows if there's been any deaths--plenty of people have been badly beaten up. I'm not motivated to do a thorough search but I repeat you "could" get killed even if not one has been which we don't know. I just know I wouldn't recommend wandering around SF in a MAGA hat. It's really asking for unpleasantness. But you just want to argue. Welcome to the site--you'll fit right in (but I recommend you spend most of your time in the snake pit aka "skybar").

‘We’re just wearing a cap’: Life as a Donald Trump supporter in the Bay Area

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 10:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
There have been numerous incidents and neither of us actually knows if there's been any deaths--plenty of people have been beaten up. I'm not motivated to do a thorough search but I repeat you "could" get killed even if not one has been which we don't know. I just know I wouldn't recommend wandering around SF in a MAGA hat. It's really asking for unpleasantness.
Imagination land sounds fun.

Has anyone ever been killed in SF for wearing a Bernie hat?

"wE dOn'T kNoW~!"

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Imagination land sounds fun.

Has anyone ever been killed in SF for wearing a Bernie hat?

"wE dOn'T kNoW~!"

Whatever. Please put on a MAGA hat and go wandering through SF and report back to us how it went.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions