HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 2:29 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
Chargers at Canadian Tire are not super useful. How often do you go to Canadian Tire?
They could put them outside liquor stores.
Perhaps the government should be paying for this.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 2:32 AM

You're thinking of it from the perspective of a person who has a house with a garage. The grocery store chargers are needed for us plebes that live in condos or apartments. And this isn't a small group. Nearly a quarter of the population.

Also, for out-of-town travel... Virtually every major charging network is targeting major corridors and lots of hotels are installing L2s on their own. Those areas are seeing investment. CIB is trying to encourage investment in the areas that are lagging.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 2:48 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
You're thinking of it from the perspective of a person who has a house with a garage. The grocery store chargers are needed for us plebes that live in condos or apartments. And this isn't a small group. Nearly a quarter of the population.
I already accounted for that in my post.

That's why I don't think that buy-in for electric vehicles among apartment owners is particularly high right now. (Certainly a lot lower than among people with houses.)

Since public charging is very roughly about 10 times more expensive than home charging, the economics aren't nearly as good if you don't have a home charger. Especially not when you consider the vehicle is more expensive than an ICE. Though I suppose that with today's price of gas it's still not too bad.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 2:52 AM

^ The government isn't going to be able to meet their 2030 targets and their 2035 ICE phase out goals without getting infrastructure going everywhere. And CIB has a specific mandate to provide low cost financing and grants where existing private sector investment is lacking.

It's not about now. It's about a decade from now. Which is about how long it's going to plan and build out a lot of these charging networks. Think of the years it takes to identify sites, prep them and then put chargers there. They can't wait till a few brave souls in condos start getting EVs to then start building the infrastructure. They will have to facilitate that change.

Highway rest stops, hotels, major attractions, etc are less of a problem. They are getting private sector investment. For example, every OnRoute in Ontario now has DC fast chargers.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 2:57 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I've had an electric car since earlier this summer.

I've never charged a single time anywhere other than my home when travelling around in the Ottawa-Gatineau metro area.
What kind do you have?

In a small condo like where I live, there are three EVs out of about 30 vehicles, and the expense of installing a charging station would be unfair to the rest of us. It must reach critical mass before it's worthwhile.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
In a small condo like where I live, there are three EVs out of about 30 vehicles, and the expense of installing a charging station would be unfair to the rest of us. It must reach critical mass before it's worthwhile.
And it becomes a chicken and egg problem. Condo dwellers don't want to buy EVs cause they can't charge. But they can't get chargers installed because there's no critical mass.

Government could massively subsidize chargers at condos and apartments. But that's basically a subsidy for a low utilization facility that will be limited to a small population. Put it at a grocery store and anybody can use it, and lots of people will.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 3:18 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
And it becomes a chicken and egg problem. Condo dwellers don't want to buy EVs cause they can't charge. But they can't get chargers installed because there's no critical mass.

Government could massively subsidize chargers at condos and apartments. But that's basically a subsidy for a low utilization facility that will be limited to a small population. Put it at a grocery store and anybody can use it, and lots of people will.
What is the profit margin for a commercial venture to do this now? It seems that residential buildings with around 100 units is the approximate baseline for this at present, and many still with a very low ratio of 10% EVs or less. I also frequent larger higher end buildings full of Porches, etc. and some are just installing them now.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 4:24 AM

Quote:
Chargers at Canadian Tire are not super useful. How often do you go to Canadian Tire?
Location and room. Ours is on our main drag and near the main highway interchange.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
What kind do you have?

Think of it as an improvement that will boost your property value.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 3:26 PM

Rivian dropped the ball on Canadian certification:

https://driveteslacanada.ca/news/riv...s-can-reapply/

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Since public charging is very roughly about 10 times more expensive than home charging, the economics aren't nearly as good if you don't have a home charger. Especially not when you consider the vehicle is more expensive than an ICE. Though I suppose that with today's price of gas it's still not too bad.
Ten times?! Here it's more like 2-3x, depending of course since it's billed per minute not per kWh.

Welcome to the EV family.

FWIW I'm in a condo, we have 1 shared L2 charger that about 12 residents use. Some also have 110V at their parking stall that they can use too. It's not the end of the world for condo dwellers. I never use local DCFC, only road trips.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Think of it as an improvement that will boost your property value.
It's really hard to convince most owners. Especially in buildings full of older folks (I'm in this situation) or in condos full of rentals (where landlords don't want to see condo fees go up).

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 3:45 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Ten times?! Here it's more like 2-3x, depending of course since it's billed per minute not per kWh.
Just going roughly based on what hydro rates are here in Quebec.

Not sure how much you pay in BC.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Just going roughly based on what hydro rates are here in Quebec.

Not sure how much you pay in BC.
2.39 per litre for gas in Vancouver today, by contrast our electric rates, while higher than Quebec's, are some of the lowest in North America.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
2.39 per litre for gas in Vancouver today, by contrast our electric rates, while higher than Quebec's, are some of the lowest in North America.
He's talking about home charging vs. DC fast charging (or Supercharging). Electricity vs electricity.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 8:15 PM
Near Generational

Quote:
FWIW I'm in a condo, we have 1 shared L2 charger that about 12 residents use.
How does this work in reality? Are you texting your neighbours to get access to the charger? or ?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
How does this work in reality? Are you texting your neighbours to get access to the charger? or ?
No you just plug in when it's available. The rule is, you must move your car when it's done charging.

I don't think we can handle too many more drivers without people getting annoyed, but it does show that you don't need one L2 charger per vehicle.

Having one in your own parking spot would be more convenient of course, but it's not a capacity issue per se.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 10:37 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
I'd like to introduce you to my father
About 30 Saturdays a year my brother and I would go with him on Canadian Tire runs. granted my Dad tinkered with woodworking (baseboard trim, making curio cabinets, etc) but it was a ritual. I thought it was normal as a child lol

Quote:

I've had an electric car since earlier this summer.
Acajack, I've probably asked before, but which car did you end up buying?
My Pops has a Sorento PHEV. It only gets 52km pure electric but he loves it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Location and room. Ours is on our main drag and near the main highway interchange.
this. The largest Canadian Tire store in Niagara (one of the largest in Canada) was built in Welland near a busy highway interchange of 406. It's 10,220 square metres (110,000 square feet)
Surrounded by a sea of parking and Molson's dreaded "SmartCentres" (those f------ penguin family statues) "big box fart" stores

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 10:56 PM

Quote:

Government subsidies are already available (and over-subscribed). Iinm, you need "buy-in" of 20 units to qualify.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 11:16 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
There are tons of apps for your phone for charging stations.

You can probably sign in and get an alert on your phone when the charger is free.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada