HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #3281  
Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 6:04 AM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam/Rainbow Lake
Posts: 34,598
Mixed Use ‘Township’ Project in Calgary Announces Retail Tenants

September 12, 2019

Quote:
Thal revealed to Retail Insider the following retailers and businesses who have signed up for space at the new Township development: a traditional Sobeys grocery store, 45,000 square feet; Bed Bath & Beyond, 26,000 square feet; buybuy BABY, 17,000 square feet; Winners, 26,000 square feet; BrightPath Child Care & Daycare Centre, 20,000 square feet.

Thal said there will also be a Canadian Brewhouse, a Starbucks, and an A&W and more than 200,000 square feet of other space is committed to negotiated offers to lease or letters of intent.
https://www.retail-insider.com/retai...retail-tenants
__________________
belowitall
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3282  
Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 1:19 PM
YYCguys YYCguys is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
Mixed Use ‘Township’ Project in Calgary Announces Retail Tenants

September 12, 2019



https://www.retail-insider.com/retai...retail-tenants
Wow! A Sobeys, Winners, AND an A&W? How unique and exciting!

Why can’t those developers ever have fun, unique, local shops in these developments?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3283  
Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 10:13 PM
Corndogger Corndogger is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
Wow! A Sobeys, Winners, AND an A&W? How unique and exciting!

Why can’t those developers ever have fun, unique, local shops in these developments?
If shops like that are willing to sign a lease developers would gladly take them.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3284  
Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 10:01 PM
YYCguys YYCguys is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
If shops like that are willing to sign a lease developers would gladly take them.
Oh I totally get it, but making an announcement with ho hum retailers like that does little to create excitement in the consumer. An announcement that this local retailer or that mom n pop shop signed on would be very exciting!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3285  
Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 10:31 PM
Suburgatory's Avatar
Suburgatory Suburgatory is offline
No man's land
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
Oh I totally get it, but making an announcement with ho hum retailers like that does little to create excitement in the consumer. An announcement that this local retailer or that mom n pop shop signed on would be very exciting!
What local retailer or mom & pop establishment is going to lease a space at new development rates on the extreme edge of the city, let alone have a chance of surviving?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3286  
Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 11:46 PM
Corndogger Corndogger is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburgatory View Post
What local retailer or mom & pop establishment is going to lease a space at new development rates on the extreme edge of the city, let alone have a chance of surviving?
The location isn't the issue--that area is growing like crazy.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3287  
Old Posted Sep 14, 2019, 5:15 PM
Suburgatory's Avatar
Suburgatory Suburgatory is offline
No man's land
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
The location isn't the issue--that area is growing like crazy.
Show me the precedent of other local retailers and mom & pop thriving in other outlying big box areas.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3288  
Old Posted Sep 14, 2019, 8:27 PM
Corndogger Corndogger is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburgatory View Post
Show me the precedent of other local retailers and mom & pop thriving in other outlying big box areas.
I don't think it's going to be big box only. From the link provided there's this blurb:

“Township will be a complete community with a heavy focus on celebrating local businesses, providing everything a Calgarian would want in one place. It’s not just a spot to shop, but a hub where you’ll want to try the latest in boutique fitness or catch up with friends at your favourite craft brewery,” said Jeremy Thal, Royop’s president and CEO. “From pop-up farmers’ markets in the summer to outdoor public skating rinks in the winter, we’ll be bringing the community to life all year long.”
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3289  
Old Posted Sep 14, 2019, 10:56 PM
Suburgatory's Avatar
Suburgatory Suburgatory is offline
No man's land
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
I don't think it's going to be big box only. From the link provided there's this blurb:

“Township will be a complete community with a heavy focus on celebrating local businesses, providing everything a Calgarian would want in one place. It’s not just a spot to shop, but a hub where you’ll want to try the latest in boutique fitness or catch up with friends at your favourite craft brewery,” said Jeremy Thal, Royop’s president and CEO. “From pop-up farmers’ markets in the summer to outdoor public skating rinks in the winter, we’ll be bringing the community to life all year long.”
Talk is cheap. Guess we know which part of the suburbs you're a booster for.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3290  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 6:28 PM
YYCguys YYCguys is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,141
The location sucks. I’m not going to go way out of my way to buy a knock off cell phone case at NHM. If it were built inside the city limits nearer to actual residential communities and other services and businesses, the mall might have succeeded. I personally don’t have much hope for this albatross!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3291  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 7:33 PM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam/Rainbow Lake
Posts: 34,598
I thought they were going to announce a big anchor tenant?

Aberdeen Centre in Richmond built and expansion as a strata mall and it's still mostly empty many years later.

Most chain stores seem to avoid strata malls, is there enough of an Asian customer base in Calgary to warrant such a huge mall yet?
__________________
belowitall
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3292  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 8:57 PM
YYCguys YYCguys is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
I thought they were going to announce a big anchor tenant?

Aberdeen Centre in Richmond built and expansion as a strata mall and it's still mostly empty many years later.

Most chain stores seem to avoid strata malls, is there enough of an Asian customer base in Calgary to warrant such a huge mall yet?
There was talk that the owners of Symon’s Valley farmers market were going to open a large location there but that announcement was made long ago and I have no idea if this new upcoming anchor tenant announcement is related or not.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3293  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 9:53 PM
Corndogger Corndogger is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
The location sucks. I’m not going to go way out of my way to buy a knock off cell phone case at NHM. If it were built inside the city limits nearer to actual residential communities and other services and businesses, the mall might have succeeded. I personally don’t have much hope for this albatross!
The location is perfect. It's the concept that sucks. It's right next door to CrossIron Mills and that place is booming.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3294  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 9:57 PM
Corndogger Corndogger is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,084
Costco to anchor new Tsuut'ina Nation shopping complex

Newsroom Staff
Updated: October 23, 2019



Costco’s first-ever store on First Nation land is coming to the Tsuut’ina Nation next summer, it was announced Wednesday.

The big-box shop is set to be the anchor tenant at the under-construction 400,000 sq. ft. development called Taza.

Chief Lee Crowchild called the new complex at the corner of the new southwest Calgary ring road and 130th Ave. “momentous.”

“This signifies another major step forward for Taza and is reflective of the economic and social vision the Tsuut’ina Nation and its leadership have had for decades,” Crowchild said in a statement.

“We have been investing in the future of our Nation for many years. We have been building up our own infrastructure and social programs, recently opening the Bullhead Education Centre, the new Tosguna Police Station, and are now under construction with a new high school.”

The Costco store is set to be 150,000 sq. ft. and is expected to open next summer with more shops and nearby tenants opening in summer 2021.

It will be the Calgary-area’s sixth Costco.

Source: https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...opping-complex
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3295  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2019, 1:51 AM
YYCguys YYCguys is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
The location is perfect. It's the concept that sucks. It's right next door to CrossIron Mills and that place is booming.
Well if they are expecting spill over from CrossIron, it hasn’t happened. So if the location is supposedly perfect from the viewpoint of being next to an existing busy mall and nobody comes over to this mall, then it’s not a location that is working nor perfect.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3296  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2019, 2:41 AM
Corndogger Corndogger is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
Well if they are expecting spill over from CrossIron, it hasn’t happened. So if the location is supposedly perfect from the viewpoint of being next to an existing busy mall and nobody comes over to this mall, then it’s not a location that is working nor perfect.
The concept doesn't appeal to people. CrossIron Mills has a lot of other retail around it and those stores are doing great. It wouldn't matter where New Horizons Mall was located--it would still be a massive flop.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3297  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2019, 11:48 AM
YYCguys YYCguys is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
The concept doesn't appeal to people. CrossIron Mills has a lot of other retail around it and those stores are doing great. It wouldn't matter where New Horizons Mall was located--it would still be a massive flop.
To be honest, the only thing that appeals to me about NHM is the impending farmer’s market. If they had a Daiso (Japanese “toonie” store) that would be cool too!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3298  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 6:54 AM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam/Rainbow Lake
Posts: 34,598
Calgary: The rise of the suburbs, the decline of downtown

December 2, 2019 Richard White OPINION

Calgary has always been a suburban city from a residential perspective.

In the 21st Century, the suburbs have also risen in importance as a place for Calgarians to work, play and be entertained. There is less and less and need to go to downtown Calgary.

You know the suburbs are on the rise and the downtown is in decline when two of the city’s most recent, and controversial, public art projects – Giant Blue Ring and Bowfort Towers – are at the edge of the city, not downtown Calgary. Public art was always downtown in the 20th century.

Inland Port City
While employment has declined downtown, it has increased the city’s northeast and southeast quadrants, as well as outside the city’s boundaries. Some of the big names that have mega regional warehouse and distribution centers in Calgary are – Amazon, Home Depot, Walmart, Whirlpool and Tim Hortons.

Indeed, Calgary has evolved into major North American inland port with both Canadian Pacific and Canadian National Railways having major Intermodal Facilities and CN had created Canada’s only intermodal business park in the north east community of Conrich.

Over the past 10 years, The City’s Industrial Land Program has serviced and sold over 700 acres, which has supported the development of over six million square feet of space with a 2018 assessed value of over $1 billion. For the citizens of Calgary that has meant over $70 million in new cumulative tax revenue and more than 8,000 jobs.

“What’s unique about the City’s Industrial Land Strategy,” explained Spencer McClurg, Manager, Real Estate Sales & Acquisitions with the City of Calgary, “is that we contribute five percent of our gross sales proceeds to support the development of new affordable housing in Calgary.”

Since 2013, when the Industrial Land Strategy was approved, RE&DS has contributed over $10 million to affordable housing.

Source: https://www.calgary.ca/realestate/Pa...algarians.aspx

In 2019, almost 1.3 million square feet of industrial space has been leased. That’s almost the equivalent the Bow Tower. (CBRE Q3 Industrial Report Calgary)

In the third quarter of 2019, the downtown office market experienced almost 200,000 square feet of negative absorption, while suburban office space has a 230,000 square feet of positive absorption. (CBRE Q3 2019 office report Calgary)

Indeed, the economic engine has quietly shifted from downtown Calgary to east of Deerfoot Divide.

...

https://livewirecalgary.com/2019/12/...e-of-downtown/
__________________
belowitall
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3299  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 6:56 AM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam/Rainbow Lake
Posts: 34,598
More than a dozen companies report Planet Organic delinquent in paying bills

CTV Calgary
Kevin Green Video Journalist @ctvkevingreen Contact


Published Monday, December 2, 2019

CALGARY -- More than a dozen small to mid-sized companies say Calgary-based grocery chain Planet Organic is not paying its bills.

In October, CTV reported that Honest Dumplings, an Edmonton-based food supplier had not been paid for goods it shipped to the company. Honest Dumplings said it was owed $5,850.

In an email dated Oct. 29, Planet Organic’s CEO Alan Thompson told CTV: “We are working on a restructuring plan that would include Honest Dumplings Ltd. We should be in a position to discuss that plan with them end of next week.”


Following that story, CTV was contacted by 13 other companies with similar stories of outstanding accounts with Planet Organic, including:

Happy Camel — $21,415
Winters Turkeys — $35,000
Sage Valley Marketing — $29,075
Gecko Beverages — $18,000
Badger Ridge Greenhouse — $5,621.54
Pinocchio Ice Cream — $13,000
Blue Ridge Greenhouse — $8,000
Chickadee Farm Herbs — $6,000
Newco natural Technology — $16,500
Prairie Naturals — $80,000
T.Bishop Bakery — $2,300
My Little Chickpea — $22,154.56
Honest Dumplings — $5,850
After sending several demand letters, Rula Sharkawi, owner of Toronto-based My Little ChickPea, a supplier of Middle Eastern foods, launched a lawsuit to recover the money.

The lawsuit filed Nov. 21 in Ontario details 22 unpaid invoices from August 2018 through July 31, 2019 and reads, in part:.

"This is not the first time the Defendant has failed to pay My Little Chickpea in a timely manner for outstanding invoices.

...

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/more-than...ills-1.4711951
__________________
belowitall
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3300  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 10:10 PM
jc_yyc_ca jc_yyc_ca is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 377
nm
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:42 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.