HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caruso975 View Post
To suggest that ACC was killed off by Liberty Property Trust and/or Comcast is fantasy bordering on paranoia.

ACC died because it did not have a credible sponsor with track record in the development of large complex urban projects. The sponsor had neither the capital, nor the access to the capital, nor the tenants, nor the ability to obtain those tenants which would be necessary in order to bring such a project to fruition. In short, in never had a real chance of becoming a reality.
I beg to differ when it comes to the capital portion!!! Garrett Miller, the developer of the ACC, had almost a billion dollars dedicated to the project alone, so the recession never killed the project alone, as it's popularly believed. The main reason had a lot to do with the ACC never getting a main tenant (BlackRock, TDBank, GSK, etc.) as well as the infamous bureaucracy we have to deal with in this city.

Notice the Cira Centre South was proposed a year before the ACC, and that project was held up for about 4 years before the Evo was finally erected. A lot had to do with the 2008 recession, since it's mainly a residential project. The ACC was a mostly commercial and retail project, so it still had a chance of making it until the unfortunate happened and Garret Miller was forced to pull the plug on the ACC!

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 2:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
I beg to differ when it comes to the capital portion!!! Garrett Miller, the developer of the ACC, had almost a billion dollars dedicated to the project alone
Garrett Miller had a billion dollars? Really? I'm thinking you belatedly intended your post for April Fool's Day.

What has Garrett Miller done anywhere close to that scale before or since that proposal?

Edit: I see his company Washington Square Capital seems to be doing mortgage brokering now, apparently with Blatstein and Blumenfeld as clients; looks like the biggest deal is the Curtis Building mortgage: a large loan, but not anything like running a ground-up development on the scale of ACC. I really admire the man for having had the chutzpah to try, but that deal never really seemed like more than a fantasy to me, at least. Very ambitious, obviously, but maybe not so realistic from most angles.

Last edited by Cro Burnham; Apr 5, 2016 at 2:38 AM.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2016, 1:42 PM
Φιλαδέλφεια

Urban land has a good article on this project, and of course many others.

http://urbanland.uli.org/development...dens-comeback/

Old Posted Apr 17, 2016, 1:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly-Drew View Post
Urban land has a good article on this project, and of course many others.

http://urbanland.uli.org/development...dens-comeback/
Cool stuff. "Camden: Philadelphia's own Sixth Borough"

Old Posted Apr 17, 2016, 9:36 PM

Hah. Camden could be the Brooklyn to our Manhattan.
The first proposal had the potential to revitalize the area in a few years. This one... not so much.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2016, 3:07 PM

I came across this rendering. I guess this was an older version.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2016, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdizzy View Post
I came across this rendering. I guess this was an older version.

Wow. Looks like Jersey City. So much better than the latest drab iteration.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2016, 8:24 PM

Since the total number for square feet of office space didn't change my guess is that one of their lead tenants wanted larger floor plates than they could offer with the taller, skinnier tower.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2016, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkway View Post
Since the total number for square feet of office space didn't change my guess is that one of their lead tenants wanted larger floor plates than they could offer with the taller, skinnier tower.
Is there a lead tenant? Did they want their building ugly too? The one tower in the newer renderings is fine, but the other one is a real disappointment.

In any event the various renderings leave me confused. The first ones that I saw (still on the first page of this thread) had a tall tower close to the bridge, with the shorter tower on a pier. In the updated renderings, the same pier tower is moved back onto the "mainland," while the taller tower becomes a short ugly box. The renderings on this page are entirely different. These have the shorter tower turned sideways and placed nearer the bridge, with an even shorter building on or near the pier (with a couple slightly taller mid-rises behind that). From the June 2015 date on them, I guess these were preliminary renderings before those that we saw with the announcement?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2016, 9:17 PM

I know for sure that Archer and Griener LLP is moving their offices in from Haddonfield. The soil samples could have factored in as well, I believe they were why the curvy tower got moved inland a bit.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2016, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkway View Post
I know for sure that Archer and Griener LLP is moving their offices in from Haddonfield. The soil samples could have factored in as well, I believe they were why the curvy tower got moved inland a bit.
I'm pretty sure that you're right about the latter issue. Good news about Archer and Greiner. Whatever motivated the redesign of the bridge-ward tower, I wish that they at least could've given it similar cladding.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 12:48 AM
Greetings from New Jersey

Taken Yesterday - 4/20/16

More Sampling of the site

Future Waterfront Redevelopment Project?
by Corey Best, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 23, 2016, 11:48 AM

The changes or evolution of the master plan and of specific buildings is driven by either specific governmental regulations and/or by specific requirements of users. For example, certain users desire a specific floor plate size and/or may require a building to meet certain budget parameters. Design at this commercial scale is rarely if ever, perhaps never, an arbitrary thing driven by purely aesthetic aspirations. It is the integration of program, budget and the specific regulatory environment within which the building or development is being constructed. The Camden Waterfront under the jurisdiction of NJ DEP as well as other state agencies, as well as the Army Corps of Engineers, is one of the most heavily regulated geographies in the Philadelphia region, for example. The architect of the northern most tower shown in the master plan is Foster+Partners, if realized in it's current form, it would be one the most, if not the most advanced commercial office buildings in the country in terms of it's environmental design. That said, it will probably continue to evolve over the coming year. The other buildings by Robert A. M. Stern are more fixed in terms of their design.

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 10:45 PM

Dranoff to build apartments on Camden's waterfront

Quote:
Carl Dranoff, the Philadelphia-based developer who transformed Camden's former RCA Victor factory into the city's first luxury apartment building, has plans to build an apartment complex on the waterfront.

The 156-unit building, which would sit next to the Campbell's Field baseball stadium, would be part of the massive mixed-use Liberty Property development that has been proposed for the area.

Dranoff declined to comment earlier this week on the proposal, saying he preferred to wait until after his presentation to the city's Planning Board Thursday night.

The board's agenda lists the project as having about 148,000 square feet of rental space, with about 5,000 square feet for ground floor retail, at the end of Cooper Street at Delaware Avenue. The plans include 192 parking spaces and about 30 units that would be set aside for affordable housing.

In a preview of the project Tuesday that Dranoff gave to members of the city's Cooper Grant Neighborhood Association, he said the project would begin in January if granted approval. He gave summer 2018 as a target move-in date. Architectural plans have not yet been finalized, he said.
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/news/ne...cmfuDjSxBOL.99

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 1:54 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsksl View Post
Hah. Camden could be the Brooklyn to our Manhattan.
The first proposal had the potential to revitalize the area in a few years. This one... not so much.
I'd say more like the Jersey City to our New York.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted May 21, 2016, 5:26 PM
Φιλαδέλφεια

Not really new news. I think the comment about waterfront visitors is a bit optimistic.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/201...redevelopment/

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 2:12 AM

One Cooper - Dranoff Residential Building - 5 floors

Looks like the Dranoff Properties residential portion of this project will be designed by JKRP Architects, and include 156 apartment buildings and ground floor retail. There is a rendering in the link here:

http://dranoffproperties.com/places/one-cooper/

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 4:34 PM

American Water HQ

Quote:
American Water Works Co. Inc. will relocate its headquarters to a new building that will be constructed along the Camden waterfront.

The five-story, 222,376-square-foot structure will be constructed by Liberty Property Trust (NYSE: LPT) and marks the first building to be constructed as part of a $1 billion mixed-use development the real estate investment trust has planned in the South Jersey community.

Called One Water Street, construction of the metal and glass building will begin along with the construction of an adjacent garage this fall. The project is expected to be completed in the second half of 2018. It was designed by Robert A.M. Stern and Gensler was retained to do the interior design.

The building will front the Delaware River, and will be located between the Benjamin Franklin Bridge and Campbell’s Field.

The company is now based at 1025 Laurel Oak Road in Voorhees, New Jersey. It will be consolidating five facilities it currently leases in South Jersey into One Water Street. Roughly 600 employees will be working from the new building.
More info here from the Philadelphia Business Journal: http://bit.ly/29GANnW

Last edited by summersm343; Jul 14, 2016 at 4:45 PM.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakuc258 View Post
More info here from the Philadelphia Business Journal: http://bit.ly/29GANnW

Meh.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 4:45 PM

Well, it's a start! 600 more employees now working out of Camden is a good thing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive