HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 7:45 PM

Cool CHICAGO | General Discussions

So, I couldn't remember if we had a thread like this in the past (I think we did on SSC). Regardless, I think it's long overdue to have a new thread that's just a catch-all for everything else Chicago. I'll start by posting the recently released Chicago Michelin list and Bib Gourmand list of Restaurants. Overall, a good year for Chicago (especially with the Bib Gourmand, although we are still distinctly lacking 3 star Michelin rankings).

Michelin Chicago Guide 2014: EL Ideas, Elizabeth among winners

The 2014 Chicago Michelin Guide, which lists more than 400 city and suburban restaurants, is available in bookstores today.

Three Stars

Alinea

Two Stars

Grace *
Graham Elliot
L2O
Sixteen **

One Star

Acadia
Blackbird
Boka
EL Ideas *
Elizabeth *
Everest
Goosefoot
The Lobby *
Longman & Eagle
Mexique
Moto
Naha
North Pond *
Schwa
Senza *
Sepia
Spiaggia
Takashi
Topolobampo
Tru

* New to 2014 Michelin guide
** Elevated from last year's one-star rating

And Michelin's Bib Gourmand 2014 Winners by Neighborhood: Where are Chicago's Hottest Restaurants

West Loop

1. Au Cheval

2. Avec

3. bellyQ

4. Girl & The Goat

5. Jaipur

6. Maude's Liquor Bar

7. Sushi Dokku

8. Paramount Room

9. The Publican

Bucktown & Wicker Park

1. Ada St.

2. Antique Taco

3. Arami

4. Belly Shack

5. Cumin

6. Green Zebra

7. Mana Food Bar

8. Mott St.

9. Owen & Engine

Andersonville, Edgewater & Uptown

1. Ceres' Table

2. Gather

3. Jin Thai

4. Hopleaf

5. Opart Thai House

6. Spacca Napoli

Lakeview & Wrigleyville

1. ATK

2. Browntrout

3. Chilam Balam

4. Mixteco Grill

5. TAC Quick

6. Wood

Humboldt Park & Logan Square

1. Fat Rice

2. Jam

3. Lula Café

4. Smoque BBQ

5. Urban Belly

River North

1. Frontera Grill

2. Gilt Bar

3. GT Fish & Oyster

4. Slurping Turtle

Lincoln Park & Old Town

1. Balena

2. Gemini Bistro

3. Juno

4. Riccardo Trattoria

Chinatown & South Loop

1. Kurah

2. Lao Hunan

3. Lao Sze Chuan

4. Mercat a la Planxa

Pilsen & University Village

1. County

2. DeCOLORES

3. Nightwood

Gold Coast

1. Deca

2. Pump Room

Streeterville

1. The Purple Pig

Suburbs

1. Autre Monde
2. Found
3. Han 202
4. Homestyle Taste
5. Kabul House
6. Kai Zan
7. Kama Indian Bistro
8. Marion Street Cheese Market
9. Libertad
10. Yolo
11. Sol de Mexico
12. Smak-Tak
13. Sen
14. Q BBQ
15.Nabuki 16. Nana

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 11:58 PM

I love Chicago's thai dining scene. ATK, TAC Quick, Sticky Rice, Spoon... we are spoiled.

It was about time North Pond received a star. Enjoying Acadia's Lobster Roll is my favorite way to start the weekend, but Longman & Eagle is my favorite place to end the night!

I highly recommend El Ideas on the Michelin list. Schwa is my target for 2014.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 1:31 AM

^^Still haven't got to those Tai ones. I will have to make a point to try them. I also heard great things about BellyQ (spin on Korean barbeque, I understand).

I'm so glad I at least got to eat at Charlie Trotter's a few times before it's closing, and his eventual death. I'm also pretty bummed that Graham Elliot is closing, given that I think it's a superb restaurant. But what's great is that its seems there's always an influx of new restaurants that quickly rise to excellence, that we're not left wanting. We're pretty damn lucky.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 6:55 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Writers Theatre to build Studio Gang-designed theater
Private donations make ambitious project in Glencoe possible

'At an event scheduled for Wednesday evening at the Art Institute of Chicago, Writers Theatre of Glencoe is to announce that it has raised $22 million, enough to begin construction on a new, $28 million two-theater complex for downtown Glencoe, built from the ground up and designed by renowned Chicago architect Jeanne Gang and her Studio Gang Architects.

The announcement is remarkable in several ways. A contemporary building designed with a significant nod both to the Tudor-style architecture of many North Shore homes and to the classical roots of much Writers programming, the new theater is likely to be a transformative building for the affluent community of Glencoe. It will be visible from both the Metra line and the arterial Green Bay Road and will be an economic generator for the village's sleepy downtown, perhaps at the expense of neighboring suburbs with a much longer history of involvement with the arts. The complex will be Gang's first major arts building, and thus her entry into a high-profile arena often associated with the leading likes of Frank Gehry, Peter Eisenman and Rem Koolhaas....'

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entert...,701586.column

More about the Writer's Theatre:

http://www.writerstheatre.org/new-WT

http://www.archdaily.com/318985/

Old Posted Nov 14, 2013, 4:39 PM

^^^From above:

"it will be her first major arts building"

Last time I checked one of her first independent commissions was the Starlight Theater in Rockford. Also, she designed the Columbia College Film School which is also a fairly major "arts building". Part of the reason all the old school print publications like the Tribune and Sun Times are going under now is that the quality of their journalism sucks. All you need to do is read Jeanne Gang's wikipedia page to know that the above statement is patently false.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 1:46 PM

Chicago's brewery explosion continues.

Ale Syndicate Takes To IndieGoGo To Raise Money For New Fermenters

Chicago is in the midst of a five to six year run where the range of beer options has grown beyond the expectations of even the most optimistic drinkers. Chicago doesn’t need more beer yet here we are, like urchins in a London orphanage demanding more gruel, wanting even more choices fighting for our consumer dollar.

Take the case of Ale Syndicate. Owners Samuel and Jesse Edwin Evans have moved from The Plant in Back of the Yards to the Green Exchange in Logan Square and have been dealing with the particular obstacles of running a brewery in Chicago. That includes capital, which they’re now trying to raise more of via an IndieGoGo campaign, for more fermenters.

The Evans brothers are contract brewing at partner breweries including Galena Brewing Company in Galena, 5 Rabbit in Bedford Park, Excel Bottling in Breese and Big Chicago Brewing Company in Zion while building out their brew house, where they hope to include three 20 BBL fermenters. A single 20 BBL fermenter with freight costs around $15,000 and the brothers estimate they would need $10,000 more to afford a second fermenter. So the funding goal is $15,000 with a stretch goal of $25,000. Anything over that will go into laying the groundwork for Ale Syndicate’s barrel-aging program.

http://chicagoist.com/2013/11/14/ale...o_campaign.php

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 10:21 PM
Plenary pleasures.

I like to highlight some choice suburban projects, not just because they are of interesting or unique design, but also because they potentially contribute to the overall development of the region, and I also feel that whether you love or hate the suburbs, they are an integral part of the success of Chicago and the entire region as a whole.

I think these two science projects help reinforce the region as a major science and technology force, the world over. Although Fermilab is currently operating as a far more scaled-back version of it's former self (thanks in large part to the Large Hadron Collider in Europe), it still has the potential for significant scientific research and discovery.

Argonne's newly completed Energy Sciences Building, completed this summer I believe:
Oct 23, 2013

http://www.flickr.com/photos/argonne/10610730013/

The new Illinois Accelerator Research Center at Fermilab, almost done (?)
August 14, 2013

http://iarc.fnal.gov/

Old Posted Dec 5, 2013, 8:53 PM

Sort of an interesting list

So I despise these city list as much as anyone, but this compilation by Travel and Leisure I though was at least sort of interesting. They listed where your city ranks by by visitors and residents in a whole host of categories. If I'm reading this list right, it seems that in many categories, visitors often rank our city higher than the people who live here.

Travel and Leisure Chicago list

Old Posted Dec 5, 2013, 9:01 PM

Great Places to have a drink?

So I was wonder where some of you like to go when your looking for an upscale, chill place with a great mixologist to have a drink. There was two places I went to this week that I thought were fantastic. The first was Drumbar on the 18th floor of the Raffaello Hotel. Very nice environement, superb drinks, and very nice rooftop patio (the last few days were mild, so they had the roof open). The second place was Three Dots and a Dash. When I heard it was a Tiki bar, I was a bit skeptical. But honestly, it was not cheesy in the least. Relatively upscale environment, great drinks, great place to hang out with friends. I also went to Untitled, and while I think it has it's own sort of appeal, I wasn't necessarily blown away.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2013, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolch View Post
So I was wonder where some of you like to go when your looking for an upscale, chill place with a great mixologist to have a drink. There was two places I went to this week that I thought were fantastic. The first was Drumbar on the 18th floor of the Raffaello Hotel. Very nice environement, superb drinks, and very nice rooftop patio (the last few days were mild, so they had the roof open). The second place was Three Dots and a Dash. When I heard it was a Tiki bar, I was a bit skeptical. But honestly, it was not cheesy in the least. Relatively upscale environment, great drinks, great place to hang out with friends. I also went to Untitled, and while I think it has it's own sort of appeal, I wasn't necessarily blown away.
My go-to places to go have Mixologist type drinks are usually the Drawing Room on Rush and Maude's Liquor bar on Randolph. They never disappoint, and they have great food too

Old Posted Dec 7, 2013, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migueltorres View Post
My go-to places to go have Mixologist type drinks are usually the Drawing Room on Rush and Maude's Liquor bar on Randolph. They never disappoint, and they have great food too
Ah yes. You are quite right about Maude's. I do like that place. Some others that I think deserve to make the all star list include Barrelhouse Flat, and Violet Hour. I haven't yet been to The Drawing Room, but I've heard good things.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2013, 12:36 AM

Quote:
If I want to stay near the office for a nightcap on my way home, I go to Sable Kitchen (Mike Ryan).

I personally enjoy venturing to establishments in the neighborhoods:
Tiny Lounge (Lincoln Square)
The Barrelhouse Flat (Lincoln Park)
Ada Street (Lincoln Park)
Maria's Packaged Goods (Bridgeport)

Logan Square is perfect for a cocktail lounge crawl:
The Whistler (where Paul McGee from Three Dots and a Dash made his name)
Scofflaw
Longman & Eagle
Billy Sunday

However, my all-time favorite place is Bar Deville (Ukrainian Village). The place does not have a list, but Brad Bolt is a master of the craft. He is frequently featured in publications for mixology. Danny Wirtz, son of Rocky Wirtz (Blackhawks, Wirtz Beverage), lives nearby and shows up on occasion.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 7:11 AM
Plenary pleasures.

Well, a bragging right is a bragging right, this of which I'm proud of, since I live in East Lakeview too. I would have posted this in the Economic thread, considering that both the parade and Market Days contribute considerable millions to the local economy, however this is still the more relevant location.

Best of Travel
Out Traveler Awards 2013
Out Traveler Award Winner: Incomparable Gay Neighborhood
By OUTTraveler Editors
Privacy Policy | Send Feedback
We nominated, you voted, and now we have a winner for Incomparable Gay Neighborhood.
Incomparable Gay Neighborhood: BOYSTOWN (CHICAGO)
Runner-up: The Mission (San Francisco)

"Are you surprised? Chicago's sizeable and friendly LGBT neighborhood, referred to as "Boystown," was voted best gay neighborhood in the world, beating areas in other cities like San Francisco, Los Angeles, Barcelona, and Madrid. Chicago's Boystown, centered around Halsted Street, was the nation's first officially-recognized gay village in the U.S. and is the home to a large Pride celebration, as well as Market Days, an unrivaled August street party. The neighborhood has everything you could want: bars, clubs, restaurants, architecture, walkability, its own El stop, and now marriage equality (Illinois legalized same-sex unions in 2013). It also seems more welcoming than some other gayborhoods that shall remain nameless. On the horizon: a remodeling of the famous Hydrate nightclub, an LGBT-inclusive comedy festival, and a gay-themed hotel."

http://www.outtraveler.com/best-trav...comparable-gay

Also, the Windy City Times had a small blurb today about the Out Chicago Hotel still being 'in the works,' according to the developer.

http://www.windycitymediagroup.com/l...rks/45752.html

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 10:07 PM
The City

A pretty big deal, if you ask me

Field Museum plans major exhibit of Greek antiquities

Quote:
January 13, 2014

The Field Museum is planning a major exhibition with the government of Greece and 17 museums from that country to showcase some of the world's oldest antiquities, including a replica of the golden mask of Agamemnon and a bust of Alexander the Great.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 1:59 PM
The City

Chicago ties NYC in number of AAA diamond rated restaurants

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...emplate=mobile

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Chicago ties NYC in number of AAA diamond rated restaurants

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...emplate=mobile
?Where's Alinea on that list?

Regardless, it's great to see. AAA must not be based out of New York, otherwise the list of NY restaurants would be double. I think that's one of the problems of the Beard Awards. Simply put, to win in a specific category, you have to clearly be better than the NY restaurant. Just like in baseball, tie goes to the runner (or in this case, the NY restaurant).

Old Posted Jan 18, 2014, 3:01 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
?Where's Alinea on that list?

Regardless, it's great to see. AAA must not be based out of New York, otherwise the list of NY restaurants would be double. I think that's one of the problems of the Beard Awards. Simply put, to win in a specific category, you have to clearly be better than the NY restaurant. Just like in baseball, tie goes to the runner (or in this case, the NY restaurant).
"Seven Chicago restaurants earned a five-diamond rating: Acadia, Alinea, Arun's, Everest, Grace, Sixteen and Tru."

I read very quickly so I missed it at first as well

Old Posted Jan 18, 2014, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
"Seven Chicago restaurants earned a five-diamond rating: Acadia, Alinea, Arun's, Everest, Grace, Sixteen and Tru."

I read very quickly so I missed it at first as well
Ha. Got it. Thanks. Obviously looking at the four star list. I love Arun, but the 5 star rating is just a touch surprising. He's really got to locate closer to the downtown/ streeterville/ rivernorth area, or even the West Loop. Its such a pain getting out there.

Last edited by rgolch; Jan 18, 2014 at 5:21 PM.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2014, 8:54 PM

Great article on Theaster Gates in the NY Times.

Chicago's Opportunity Artist
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/22/ma...anted=all&_r=0

Gates now owns 12 properties in the vicinity of his home. Rebuild Foundation, the nonprofit he created to run Dorchester Projects, teaches video production at the nearby middle school and sewing and design for local kids. It has begun work in Omaha and St. Louis as well, transforming properties there into community-art spaces. Gates is still full time at the University of Chicago, currently as the director of Arts and Public Life, heading an arts incubator that the university opened this year in the poor black neighborhood outside its traditional western boundary. Additionally, Gates’s nonprofit and a private development company are turning a shuttered public-housing project near Dorchester Projects into a 32-unit mixed-income complex. Starting next year, it will become home both to low-income families and to emerging artists who will do the programming at its on-site art center. Richard Sciortino, one of the development company’s owners, believes that this concept of the public-housing artist colony is something that can work elsewhere, and he and Gates are already looking into converting a couple of other housing projects on the East Coast.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2014, 8:31 PM

from http://www.ctbuh.org/News/GlobalTall...S/Default.aspx

CTBUH Global News

Chicago to Become "North America's City of Lights"

Chicago, United States – January 24, 2014

Light-up Chicago, a new initiative to illuminate the city’s architectural gems, will extend tourism beyond downtown by also spotlighting neighborhoods and districts.

“It will make nighttime in Chicago an experience unto itself. It will make us North America’s city of lights. People will come from far and wide to see what we’ve done and enjoy our city,” said Mayor Rahm Emanuel at the Museum of Science and Industry.

Lou Razin, president of Broadway in Chicago, wishes artists, architects, and engineers to work together and make Chicago their canvas.

“It’s about creating a spectacle that winds up allowing us to be sensitive to the assets that we have, but making a pivot that takes the old guard to the vanguard. It’s not just washing a building with light. It’s about creating theater. It’s about engaging. It’s not just color. It’s three-dimensional. It’s really creating events in light,” said Razin.

http://www.vtpi.org/gentraf.pdf

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest