HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 12, 2021, 2:39 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Given a vaccinated person with mild COVID can actually spread it to others, it's the responsible thing to get tested, so you can quarantine and not inadvertently kill some antivax idiot...or do your normal business with a head cold.

The issue is the government tracking all "cases" of COVID in the same manner, not the testing.
Meh, I disagree. It’s not my responsibility to protect the fuckfaces who refuse to get vaccinated. To the contrary, I want to spread a Covid to them so that they can get it and have immunity. And if they die....well, they made their own decision

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Aug 12, 2021, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Meh, I disagree. It’s not my responsibility to protect the fuckfaces who refuse to get vaccinated. To the contrary, I want to spread a Covid to them so that they can get it and have immunity. And if they die....well, they made their own decision
You could still trigger a chain of infections which leads to a child getting seriously ill. Or someone who was vaccinated but immunocompromised.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2021, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Did you not take an oath that literally outlines this as your responsibility?

Old Posted Aug 12, 2021, 2:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
But… who cares?

If 99% of Floridians over 65 are vaccinated (and if they’ve gotten one shot there’s no reason to believe they won’t get the second), then the overall risk is manageable. Sure there is risk to the middle-aged, but presumably vaccination rates don’t drop from 99% straight down to 15% for under-65s. The under-18s are at more risk from traffic accidents.
You sir, are correct. We are in agreement.

As long as the most vulnerable are getting vaxxed (old people seem to have gotten the message loud and clear), it doesn't matter what the others do.

Now if you're a dum dum that has other serious health ailments and you are not vaxxed as of August, you have nobody else to blame, but yourself for getting hospitalized or dying.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2021, 2:57 PM
The City

Quote:
You could still trigger a chain of infections which leads to a child getting seriously ill. Or someone who was vaccinated but immunocompromised.
I am not responsible for the irresponsible and, frankly, reckless behavior of others. One can only go so far with your argument that “a child can get ill”

We have a free and easy to get vaccine, and I will only adjust my life so much for the fools who won’t listen

Old Posted Aug 12, 2021, 3:03 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
Did you not take an oath that literally outlines this as your responsibility?
No.

You don’t have a clue what you re talking about with this attempt at preaching. I’m here to give sound medical advice, nothing more. I am not going to be expected to live like a Saint just because a random guy on the Internet manufactured some standards that he wants to apply to me.

Your argument has no limit in how it could penalize and shame every medical professional for every little act they potentially make. Science has created a vaccine, I’m telling you to get the vaccine post haste. If you don’t listen, then that’s your problem, not mine.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2021, 3:29 PM

Quote:
No.

You don’t have a clue what you re talking about with this attempt at preaching. I’m here to give sound medical advice, nothing more. I am not going to be expected to live like a Saint just because a random guy on the Internet manufactured some standards that he wants to apply to me.

Your argument has no limit in how it could penalize and shame every medical professional for every little act they potentially make. Science has created a vaccine, I’m telling you to get the vaccine post haste. If you don’t listen, then that’s your problem, not mine.
I don't disagree with most of your points on Covid, but you had a line in your post about intentionally spreading disease... Not sure that's really some arbitrary standard that would unfairly penalize doctors.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2021, 3:56 PM
The City

Quote:
I don't disagree with most of your points on Covid, but you had a line in your post about intentionally spreading disease... Not sure that's really some arbitrary standard that would unfairly penalize doctors.
I wouldn’t “intentially” spread anything. What kind of dick would go around coughing in people’s faces?

But I’m not going to live an unreasonably impeded life just to protect people who refuse to be protected.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2021, 4:30 PM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Having the flu one year can possibly get a child very sick eventually, should we shut down everything and enact social distancing because someone might end up in a hospital every flu season? The flu is much more dangerous to children than covid. I had the flu when I was 3 and had a 105 fever, it fucked my developing teeth up and to this day I still have no enamel on my teeth because of the flu from then.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2021, 7:25 PM

Quote:
I don't agree with urban politician about much but on this we do agree. It's ultimately beneficial to humanity to get as much of the population immune to the covid virus as possible and there's 2 ways to do it: Vaccinate them or let them get covid. That not all will survive covid is almost beside the point because it could bring the virus under control and prevent many more future deaths of other people.

I'd be for mandatory vaccination in almost very way possible--to eat in a restaurant, enter a store, go to work etc etc--before I'd be for promoting covid infection, but ultimately for those who are totally recalcitrant, encourage them to do the things that let them get covid and get their immunity that way and stop the virus from replicating and mutating.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 12:59 AM

Quote:
San Francisco to become first major U.S. city to mandate full vaccination for many indoor activities
Trisha Thadani
Aug. 12, 2021
Updated: Aug. 12, 2021 5:37 p.m.

San Francisco will become the first major city in the country to require proof of full vaccination against the coronavirus for a variety of indoor activities, including visiting bars, restaurants, gyms and entertainment venues that serve food or beverages.

Many bars and restaurants around San Francisco have already taken it upon themselves to ask patrons to show their vaccination cards before they enter — a process that has largely gone well. Nearly 80% of the city’s eligible population has been vaccinated, and officials hope the new rule will push holdouts to finally get the shot.

The mandate will take effect Friday, Aug. 20 . . . .

Patrons will not be allowed to substitute a recent negative test for proof of vaccination.

New York City plans to require proof of at least one dose of the COVID-19 vaccine for indoor activities starting Aug. 16. But San Francisco’s order takes it a step further by requiring customers to be fully vaccinated.

In San Francisco, patrons will have to show they are vaccinated at bars and restaurants only if they plan to eat and drink inside. So someone coming in to pick up a takeout order or a cup of coffee to go will not be required to show a vaccine card. Retailers, grocery stores will also be exempt from the requirement, as are children younger than 12 — who are ineligible to be vaccinated.

While customers will be required to show their vaccine cards by Aug. 20, employees of the establishments will have until Oct. 13 to be vaccinated.

Large indoor events with more than 1,000 people — such as Chase Center, where the Golden State Warriors play — will be included in the vaccine requirement. Vaccine cards will not be required at outdoor venues, such as Oracle Park, but officials strongly urge venues to ask for them.

The health order also extends vaccination requirements to health care providers — such as dentists and pharmacists — that are not included in the state’s vaccination requirements. They will have to be fully vaccinated by Oct. 13 . . . .

The city already reimposed an indoor mask mandate this month, in an attempt to curb the spread of the highly infectious delta variant. Dr. Grant Colfax, director of the city’s Department of Public Health, said Thursday that San Francisco has no current plans to lift the indoor mask mandate . . . .

Los Angeles is considering a similar move, but is still working out the details. Palm Springs and Cathedral City, both in Riverside County, also recently voted to require proof of vaccination for patrons at indoor venues such as restaurants; it was not immediately clear from news reports whether they require one dose or the full dosage of two-shot vaccinations . . . .
https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...o-16382500.php

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 6:26 AM

Quote:
Stevie Nicks drops out of BottleRock 2021 over COVID concerns and is replaced by Chris Stapleton
Aidin Vaziri August 10, 2021
Updated: August 11, 2021, 12:35 pm

Stevie Nicks has canceled all her upcoming appearances for 2021, including a headline spot at the BottleRock Napa Valley music festival over Labor Day weekend, due to the growing threat of the delta variant of the coronavirus.

The Fleetwood Mac singer will be replaced on the bill by country star Chris Stapleton, taking her Friday night slot at the festival scheduled to take place Sept. 3-5 at the Napa Valley Expo, promoters announced Tuesday, Aug. 10.
https://datebook.sfchronicle.com/mus...d5ac356600061b

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 6:34 AM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
“Large indoor events with more than 1,000 people — such as Chase Center, where the Golden State Warriors play — will be included in the vaccine requirement.”

Does that mean if a visiting player (I’m assuming all Warriors players and staff will be, otherwise they wouldn’t be able play in any home games) isn’t vaccinated he isn’t allowed in the arena and thus cannot play that game?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 7:24 AM

Vaccine or negative test mandate goes into effect in New Orleans on Monday for pretty much all indoor activities. This includes all of the upcoming Saints games in the Superdome. Carrots are being replaced with sticks.

https://www.nola.com/news/coronaviru...3b35d5990.html

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 7:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
“Large indoor events with more than 1,000 people — such as Chase Center, where the Golden State Warriors play — will be included in the vaccine requirement.”

Does that mean if a visiting player (I’m assuming all Warriors players and staff will be, otherwise they wouldn’t be able play in any home games) isn’t vaccinated he isn’t allowed in the arena and thus cannot play that game?
I don't know, of course, but I assume for players the NBA rules have to be followed or they'd pull all games out of SF.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 8:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
I don't agree with urban politician about much but on this we do agree. It's ultimately beneficial to humanity to get as much of the population immune to the covid virus as possible and there's 2 ways to do it: Vaccinate them or let them get covid. That not all will survive covid is almost beside the point because it could bring the virus under control and prevent many more future deaths of other people.

I'd be for mandatory vaccination in almost very way possible--to eat in a restaurant, enter a store, go to work etc etc--before I'd be for promoting covid infection, but ultimately for those who are totally recalcitrant, encourage them to do the things that let them get covid and get their immunity that way and stop the virus from replicating and mutating.
You and others are underestimating the logistical and enforcement challenges.

How does one prove vaccination status? Is a photo of the paper card sufficient or can this be too easily faked? The paper card itself is too flimsy to carry around all the time (and too large for a wallet). Electronic passes are different in every jurisdiction around the world and so would be impossible for travel.

Sure, if you live in New York, get vaccinated in New York, and can verify your status with some state of NY app that is accepted by businesses in New York, then that works fine… as long as you never leave New York. But that’s not life.

This year has already been ruined by travel restrictions and that can’t be a permanent state of play.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
You and others are underestimating the logistical and enforcement challenges.

How does one prove vaccination status? Is a photo of the paper card sufficient or can this be too easily faked? The paper card itself is too flimsy to carry around all the time (and too large for a wallet). Electronic passes are different in every jurisdiction around the world and so would be impossible for travel.

Sure, if you live in New York, get vaccinated in New York, and can verify your status with some state of NY app that is accepted by businesses in New York, then that works fine… as long as you never leave New York. But that’s not life.

This year has already been ruined by travel restrictions and that can’t be a permanent state of play.
It's really not that hard, and vaccines were required for travel way before COVID-19. This is actually an opportunity to make the vaccination tracking process more efficient. Clear is already making moves to be the global platform for vaccination status verification.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 3:33 PM
你的媽媽

Yeah it's probably time to overhaul the system and make some sort of standardized national electronic record keeping system, at least for vaccines. Full medical records would be ideal too but that's probably way too much work.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 4:13 PM
Ex Houstonian

I lost my stupid vaccine card when we moved into our new house. I have a photo of it on my phone, hopefully that will be evidence enough if these draconian rules come to Pittsburgh.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Having the flu one year can possibly get a child very sick eventually, should we shut down everything and enact social distancing because someone might end up in a hospital every flu season? The flu is much more dangerous to children than covid. I had the flu when I was 3 and had a 105 fever, it fucked my developing teeth up and to this day I still have no enamel on my teeth because of the flu from then.
I wasn't arguing in favor of shutting down everything, only that if you have a bad cold, are vaccinated, and believe you were exposed to COVID, you should do the right thing and get tested, and isolate to the best you are able while symptomatic.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions