HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Waldorf Astoria Hotel & Residences Miami in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Miami Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 11:13 PM
El Guátqui

I genuinely don't get the criticism re: the staggered stacked block design.

I just scrolled through this site's diagrams, and out of the 900 tallest completed buildings in the world right now, literally the only extant example I found of this design style was the City of Capitals development in Moscow.

Two towers. Out of nine hundred. That's faddish?

Did I miss something? What other city on this side of the planet is going to have a landmark that could be mixed up with this one in the minds of the general public?

Last edited by Jordan de California; Nov 16, 2022 at 2:45 PM.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2022, 9:32 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan de California View Post
I genuinely don't get the criticism re: the staggered stacked block design.

I just scrolled through this site's diagrams, and out of the 900 tallest completed buildings in the world right now, literally the only extant example I found of this design style that I saw was the City of Capitals development in Moscow.

Two towers. Out of nine hundred. That's faddish?

Did I miss something? What other city on this side of the planet is going to have a landmark that could be mixed up with this one in the minds of the general public?

Austin has a similar looking building just shy of 700'. Not sure if that breaks into the top 900 amazingly enough.

Is anyone from Miami able to answer my question / concern about rising sea levels? How exactly is the city going to combat this? You'd think people wouldn't want to invest there unless there's a really good concrete plan to fight it.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2022, 4:47 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: volvoshine

Old Posted Nov 4, 2022, 9:14 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ Are those massive wooden planks part of an old building foundation?
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Nov 5, 2022, 12:09 PM

^ The wooden planks are just dunnage installed for the construction machinery not to get stuck in the mud.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2022, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Austin has a similar looking building just shy of 700'. Not sure if that breaks into the top 900 amazingly enough.

Is anyone from Miami able to answer my question / concern about rising sea levels? How exactly is the city going to combat this? You'd think people wouldn't want to invest there unless there's a really good concrete plan to fight it.
The folks at B1M (Tomorrow’s Build channel) touched on this toward the end of this video:
https://youtu.be/fcjNCYn9vxw

There was a deep dive on this in the 4th episode of the PBS series Sinking Cities.
https://www.pbs.org/wnet/peril-and-p...-cities-miami/

Old Posted Nov 6, 2022, 4:52 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drcastro View Post
The folks at B1M (Tomorrow’s Build channel) touched on this toward the end of this video:
https://youtu.be/fcjNCYn9vxw

There was a deep dive on this in the 4th episode of the PBS series Sinking Cities.
https://www.pbs.org/wnet/peril-and-p...-cities-miami/

Yea thanks, I've seen that one, but it didn't really discuss any potential solutions, or answer the question of why people are investing in Miami with such high risk.

If somehow Miami can tame sea level issues it definitely is one of America's next great megacities.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2022, 2:31 AM

Quote:
Yea thanks, I've seen that one, but it didn't really discuss any potential solutions, or answer the question of why people are investing in Miami with such high risk.

If somehow Miami can tame sea level issues it definitely is one of America's next great megacities.
There's quite a bit of stuff that's pretty easy to Google. But it's all mostly band aids.

This is Miami Beach

https://www.miamirealestateguy.com/m...at-rising-sea/

Bu the following is the ultimate solution... semi serious. If they could do it in 1858 I believe they can do it today. Or they just move the entrances of many buildings to the second floor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raising_of_Chicago

Sea levels are rising 'fast', but at the same time a LOT can be accomplished in 70-80 years. I'm betting on that they manage a solution. The risk of a direct hurricane hit downtown though I think is a bigger issue than rising sea levels (though of course they are related). As is the rising water table. I'm not sure how they deal with those.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2022, 4:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivernorthlurker View Post
There's quite a bit of stuff that's pretty easy to Google. But it's all mostly band aids.

This is Miami Beach

https://www.miamirealestateguy.com/m...at-rising-sea/

Bu the following is the ultimate solution... semi serious. If they could do it in 1858 I believe they can do it today. Or they just move the entrances of many buildings to the second floor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raising_of_Chicago

Sea levels are rising 'fast', but at the same time a LOT can be accomplished in 70-80 years. I'm betting on that they manage a solution. The risk of a direct hurricane hit downtown though I think is a bigger issue than rising sea levels (though of course they are related). As is the rising water table. I'm not sure how they deal with those.
Now that you mention hurricanes, Invest 98L and the GFS model show an almost direct hit into the Miami Region at 984MB.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 11:08 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Developer Signs Utilities Deal For 100-Story Waldorf Astoria

Quote:
The developer of downtown Miami’s 100-story Waldorf Astoria supertall tower has signed a utilities agreement.

Under the November 3 agreement, Miami-Dade’s Water and Sewer Department agreed to supply service to the Waldorf.

The documents state that the Waldorf Astoria is planned to include:

564 hotel rooms
361 residential units
1,321 square feet of retail
The connection fee is estimated at $742,967.10. There is also a Biscayne Basin Sanitary Sewer Special Connection Charge estimated at $450,669.60.

Kevin Maloney signed the agreement on behalf of PMG Downtown Developers LP.

The Waldorf Astoria is set to become the first ever tower in Miami taller than 1,000 feet (it will top off at 1,049 feet).

A groundbreaking ceremony took place earlier this month, and construction is now underway.
======================
NXT

Old Posted Nov 10, 2022, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altoic View Post
Now that you mention hurricanes, Invest 98L and the GFS model show an almost direct hit into the Miami Region at 984MB.
Someone is a closet weather nerd. Talking Invest numbers and GFS models. Pressure and location. Next will be skew Ts.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 4:40 PM

https://www.thenextmiami.com/largest...ria-supertall/

Ken? Is that you?

Quote:
An undisclosed buyer has just completed the purchase of the penthouse at the under-construction 100-story Waldorf Astoria Residences Miami.

Upon completion, the penthouse will be the the largest penthouse in the United States housed in Miami’s first supertall tower, developers said.

The “Mansion in the Sky” will be suspended 1,050 feet in the air above Miami, occupying the top five levels of the supertall tower.

It will have just under 34,000 square feet of space, with 10 bedrooms, 11 and ½ baths, and ceiling heights as high as 25 feet.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Thanks! Is that above sea level or ground? Hard to tell exactly at the bottom.

I gather it's 1,047' to the roof with 92 floors and 979' to the last occupied floor, but it's a double floor so the upper slab is probably 990'+, thus supertall.

Unless it's sea level. Still cool though...
According to measurements the Waldorf Astoria Miami is supposed to be 1049 ft, and the last diagram shows the tower going up to 1047 ft instead. Hopefully the architect can make it an even 1050 ft just so it can hold the title for Miami’s and FL’s tallest tower as well as the tallest in the American South, considering that there are going to be similar towers that are going to be built with 1049 ft once this decade ends. And hopefully the FAA can change the flight patterns into MIA just to allow for more taller towers in the near future.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2022, 4:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
According to measurements the Waldorf Astoria Miami is supposed to be 1049 ft, and the last diagram shows the tower going up to 1047 ft instead. Hopefully the architect can make it an even 1050 ft just so it can hold the title for Miami’s and FL’s tallest tower as well as the tallest in the American South, considering that there are going to be similar towers that are going to be built with 1049 ft once this decade ends. And hopefully the FAA can change the flight patterns into MIA just to allow for more taller towers in the near future.
Its closer to 1039 feet tall. The 1049 foot measure is the height above sea level, not the street.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2022, 4:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8721 View Post
Its closer to 1039 feet tall. The 1049 foot measure is the height above sea level, not the street.
Remember how crestfallen we all were when Met 3 was cancelled ?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8721 View Post
The problem is can the city and the developers agree to use either the sea level or the ground level? Either way, it’s an impressive building, but using sea level to determine the final height is deceptive if you ask me!

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
The problem is can the city and the developers agree to use either the sea level or the ground level? Either way, it’s an impressive building, but using sea level to determine the final height is deceptive if you ask me!
It's common in Architecture because there are heights marked throughout the plans for structure, site items, underground utilities etc. Basically, the plans aren't meant for people not constructing the building.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 2:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanImpact View Post
It's common in Architecture because there are heights marked throughout the plans for structure, site items, underground utilities etc. Basically, the plans aren't meant for people not constructing the building.
I figured that the developers would use the ground level height as opposed to sea level since a majority of us (unless you’re Jesus Christ) can’t walk on water. I’ll accept the height of 1,039 ft as the official height and whether it’s 1,039 or 1,049 ft, hopefully future supertall projects can be much taller than the WA and I can only hope the FAA finally lifts the height ban in DT Miami just so a lot more supertalls can be built in Miami!

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 1:37 PM

I’m just happy that a Miami that was mired in the 700’s, for decades, is finally seeing a decisive breakthrough.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 6:29 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: volvoshine

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction