HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWAK View Post

I was basing it on the information you provided, but obviously it was dangerous enough to get myself ignored. Adapting to the rules or any situation (in general) is a positive and it makes things easier. Look how upset some forumers get when they see somebody wearing a mask. That won't happen to people who have adjusted to the mask rules.
Information I provided? I gave an anecdotal story about police in Australia checking if pedestrians were carrying empty cups. That sounds completely insane to me.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 9:19 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
So Italians and Australians can adapt better to a situation than Americans? That's what it sounds like. Can you imagine some American princesses getting their coffee or cigs checked? that would be a lawsuit.
Americans are volatile and we have guns (lot's of them) so our government isn't going to be able to get away with checking coffee cups the way the Italian and Australian authorities can. They are more pliable and complaint societies...to a fault.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Americans are volatile and we have guns (lot's of them) so our government isn't going to be able to get away with checking coffee cups the way the Italian and Australian authorities can. They are more pliable and complaint societies...to a fault.
I don't know enough about Australians, but I don't think pliable and compliant describes Italians at all.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
I'm getting rather tired of spoiled athletes:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/c...h-16606485.php

IMHO, Mr. Garbers, you're a whiney b*tch and don't deserve sh*t. 44 cases out of 117 "players and staff" means something isn't being done right. You don't like getting tested why? Because you know you or other players are likely to test positive? And you think the people in whose faces you are likely to get on the field and in locker rooms don't deserve to know?
Those numbers imply that 42 of the 44 players and staff with Covid are vaccinated. Which means that you are drawing the wrong conclusion from this.

The conclusion that should be drawn is that we’re all going to get Covid all the damn time despite vaccines, but won’t become seriously ill (and will have even less to worry about with new antiviral treatments), and that self-isolation requirements are therefore ridiculous and unworkable.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 9:23 PM
The City

Quote:
Someone else said that over a year ago. I think his name was Donald Trump.

Trump said more Covid-19 testing ‘creates more cases.’ We did the math
A weak retort at best just to bring up Trump. So what if he happened to say the same thing? Circumstances are dramatically different now.

We have a working vaccine, boosters, etc. It's time to stop testing healthy people left and right. It's utter nonsense.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 9:25 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Those numbers imply that 42 of the 44 players and staff with Covid are vaccinated. Which means that you are drawing the wrong conclusion from this.

The conclusion that should be drawn is that we’re all going to get Covid all the damn time despite vaccines, but won’t become seriously ill (and will have even less to worry about with new antiviral treatments), and that self-isolation requirements are therefore ridiculous and unworkable.
Ding ding ding ding ding! Exactly.

People with brains and common sense get this. Senile germaphobes....well, you can hit them over the head with this but there is little chance that you will change their mind......

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investing In Chicago View Post
I don't know enough about Australians, but I don't think pliable and compliant describes Italians at all.
Over the last two years I have spent significant time (meaning weeks not days) in each of Italy, France and Spain, and can confirm that while the rules were strict in all 3 countries, the Italians did by far the best job of ignoring or flouting them.

Nowhere was remotely as open as Florida, but you really can’t keep the Italians from gathering in the street or lowering their mask to talk to someone. The Spanish were like slaves by comparison, but then I guess half the country remembers living under Franco.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 9:31 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investing In Chicago View Post
Information I provided? I gave an anecdotal story about police in Australia checking if pedestrians were carrying empty cups. That sounds completely insane to me.
Maybe it is, but they are dealing with it better than Americans would. Or they aren't and only the person that you talked to is handling it.

Quote:
Maybe too volatile for an emergency situation. Consider if COVID was much more lethal, would everybody get with the program? Would there be such a huge backlash with a 70% survival rate?

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 9:34 PM
The City

Quote:
You're startin to sound like a rebellious 'Murkin over here.....

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 10:11 PM
Dryer lint inspector

^ 20+ years of Texas has rubbed off on me. lol

Quote:
Maybe too volatile for an emergency situation. Consider if COVID was much more lethal, would everybody get with the program? Would there be such a huge backlash with a 70% survival rate?
That's the problem, the 'emergency situation' is being milked for a virus with a relatively high survival rate and despite effective measures and vaccines but society is still expected to 'obey' and be compliant because officials insist on kicking the can and move goal posts rather than surrender the power they surreptitiously assumed over the past year. I could not imagine living in Oceania...err Australia throughout this ordeal.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 10:47 PM

I really don’t understand what people are trying to achieve with the “what if Covid was vastly more deadly” line of argument.

If Covid were vastly more deadly than it actually is, then the whole cost/benefit calculation would be different, and no one (or at least very few people) would be complaining about giving up freedoms and the ability to live their lives and pursue their careers normally. But it’s not, so the whole argument is a red herring.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 10:54 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
^ 20+ years of Texas has rubbed off on me. lol
Proficiency with them was a job requirement, as well as vaccines.
Quote:
That's the problem, the 'emergency situation' is being milked for a virus with a relatively high survival rate and despite effective measures and vaccines but society is still expected to 'obey' and be compliant because officials insist on kicking the can and move goal posts rather than surrender the power they surreptitiously assumed over the past year.
The science gets updated and changed with new information, although the goalposts were pretty good in April. Too bad unvaccinated Americans didn't want to play, so they had to be moved. It's actually their fault, but the government and vaccinated people wearing their masks in cars get the brunt end. Essentially the unvaccinated caused the science to move the goalposts in order to get them to play the game, yet they still wont. Or well they are now, because attacking the paychecks worked. As I have said (which nobody has complained about) the pandemic will be over soon. I have also said lockdowns will last forever (so much crying and fear generated) I guess it just depends on who I'm talking to.
Quote:
I could not imagine living in Oceania...err Australia throughout this ordeal.
Well ordeals aren't supposed to be fun.... but there are much worse places and situations out there in the world. First world countries have it easy.
Quote:
I really don’t understand what people are trying to achieve with the “what if Covid was vastly more deadly” line of argument.

If Covid were vastly more deadly than it actually is, then the whole cost/benefit calculation would be different, and no one (or at least very few people) would be complaining about giving up freedoms and the ability to live their lives and pursue their careers normally. But it’s not, so the whole argument is a red herring.
I wanna know what you guys need to surrender your beliefs. It was proven that people will surrender for their favorite hobby or a paycheck being threatened, and it's just management and public policy. How can the government make people do something they don't want to do? It's simple. The next time the government wants people to do something they just need to threaten people's wallets. Money talks and rhetoric walks.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Ding ding ding ding ding! Exactly.

People with brains and common sense get this. Senile germaphobes....well, you can hit them over the head with this but there is little chance that you will change their mind......
You two (TUP and 10023) make quite a pair: Just ignore any and all advice of public health professionals ("germaphobes" all; plan on getting covid and if you're lucky you'll survive, and don't worry about it. And if 44 of 117 players get covid, most of them apparently breakthrough infections and acquired because other team players or staff were not taking any of the recommended precautions, it's fine.

Your attitude is, of course, why covid is still running rampant in the western world.

Having someone like you actually working in health care is truly dangerous.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 11:57 PM
The City

Quote:
You two (TUP and 10023) make quite a pair: Just ignore any and all advice of public health professionals ("germaphobes" all; plan on getting covid and if you're lucky you'll survive, and don't worry about it. And if 44 of 117 players get covid, most of them apparently breakthrough infections and acquired because other team players or staff were not taking any of the recommended precautions, it's fine.

Your attitude is, of course, why covid is still running rampant in the western world.

The Snerks are dangerous too. Back to the basement post haste!

You sound like my 95 year old patient who insists that she can drive and still live independently even while she repeats the same question to me over and over again (which I've answered), all while her daughter looks at me and rolls her eyes

Old Posted Nov 11, 2021, 6:09 AM

Quote:

And who cares if it is? What do you expect, for these players and coaches to spend all day in the team facility wearing fucking masks? To practice wearing masks? It’s a fucking contact sport.

If you’re worried about Covid, you are welcome to stay home or wear a mask or whatever you want. There’s no reason for the rest of us to care, and you won’t be missed. Hell, London would become a vastly better place to live if all the over-70s just… left.

There should ALWAYS have been more asked of people who were actually at risk than from the general population, but that’s a different issue. At this point the pandemic is over, Covid is here to stay as another mild infectious virus, and no one should be required to change their life in any way because of it.

Last edited by 10023; Nov 11, 2021 at 6:27 AM.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2021, 1:33 PM

Quote:
And who cares if it is? What do you expect, for these players and coaches to spend all day in the team facility wearing fucking masks? To practice wearing masks? It’s a fucking contact sport.

If you’re worried about Covid, you are welcome to stay home or wear a mask or whatever you want. There’s no reason for the rest of us to care, and you won’t be missed. Hell, London would become a vastly better place to live if all the over-70s just… left.

There should ALWAYS have been more asked of people who were actually at risk than from the general population, but that’s a different issue. At this point the pandemic is over, Covid is here to stay as another mild infectious virus, and no one should be required to change their life in any way because of it.

No one should be required to change their life... but... all those over 70 should leave London's swinging premises for your benefit.

Logic was never your strong suit, but your resentments, big and small, are awfully apparent.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2021, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montréaliste View Post
No one should be required to change their life... but... all those over 70 should leave London's swinging premises for your benefit.

Logic was never your strong suit, but your resentments, big and small, are awfully apparent.
I did not say that they should, and they obviously will not. I just said that the city would be a better place, from my perspective, if they did. And it would be - lots of real estate would free up, tired old restaurants would be replaced with new ones, supermarket checkout lanes would move faster, etc.

Likewise Pedestrian is free to think that things would be better if everyone would wear a mask everywhere. And he can have that opinion if he likes, but no one should be forced to do it.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2021, 3:15 PM
The City

^ It's even more bizarre than that. Pedestrian said that he finally might be "okay with everyone around him not wearing N95 masks". Finally. Just now. In November 2021.

You just can't make this shit up

Old Posted Nov 11, 2021, 3:50 PM

Quote:
I did not say that they should, and they obviously will not. I just said that the city would be a better place, from my perspective, if they did. And it would be - lots of real estate would free up, tired old restaurants would be replaced with new ones, supermarket checkout lanes would move faster, etc.

Likewise Pedestrian is free to think that things would be better if everyone would wear a mask everywhere. And he can have that opinion if he likes, but no one should be forced to do it.

Isn’t it another frivolous claim to freedom to invoke checkout lines though?

I mean, it’s no wonder people think wearing a mask is the last straw to break the democratic camel’s back. That said, I don’t have to wear one since I WFH, whereas my wife does and I commiserate with her. One thing that bothers TF out of me is the amount of masks and tissues on my walks with my dog. I can’t help but think how every prophylactic measure that pops up is also a contributor to the environmental calamity we are faced with.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2021, 7:39 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Originally Posted by montréaliste View Post
Isn’t it another frivolous claim to freedom to invoke checkout lines though?

I mean, it’s no wonder people think wearing a mask is the last straw to break the democratic camel’s back. That said, I don’t have to wear one since I WFH, whereas my wife does and I commiserate with her. One thing that bothers TF out of me is the amount of masks and tissues on my walks with my dog. I can’t help but think how every prophylactic measure that pops up is also a contributor to the environmental calamity we are faced with.
I am constantly pulling masks out of my dog's mouth on our walks.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions