HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
No, wearing masks are not limited to concealing identity or dehumanization. People have commonly worn masks throughout history to protect their faces against the weather, dress up in costumes, and to mitigate the spread of airborne viruses. We've worn masks to protect against airborne viral spread for as long as we've understood the concept of airborne viruses.
Perhaps in medical settings. The flu goes around every winter and we don’t wear masks, nor should we.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I just have COVID argument fatigue. One of the primary reasons that this has gone on so long is precisely because of people whipping up personal liberty hysteria about every solution that has been presented to us. Some of the same people who have no problem putting their kids into school mandated uniforms are shitting bricks about the school telling them that their little pumpkins also have to wear a mask, lol. It's ridiculous.
Also, the first sentence is false. Even places that have had tyrannical, draconian approaches to Covid (eg Australia, China) are still dealing with Covid. Everyone will have to deal with Covid forever. It’s not going anywhere. Enough of the bullshit.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Also, the first sentence is false. Even places that have had tyrannical, draconian approaches to Covid (eg Australia, China) are still dealing with Covid. Everyone will have to deal with Covid forever. It’s not going anywhere. Enough of the bullshit.
Australia went almost a year with barely any new COVID cases, while having nowhere near the level of disruption to daily routines that has occurred in Europe and the U.S. The reason Australia has a COVID outbreak now is because of them needing to reopen their borders to Europe and the U.S., which have been COVID variant factories for the past year.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 5:45 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Australia went almost a year with barely any new COVID cases, while having nowhere near the level of disruption to daily routines that has occurred in Europe and the U.S. The reason Australia has a COVID outbreak now is because of them needing to reopen their borders to Europe and the U.S., which have been COVID variant factories for the past year.
That's some serious cognitive dissonance. There's a fine line between preserving civil liberties and containing an outbreak and Australia shit all over it. There's no excuse for what they did and continue to do.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Australians had HUGE disruptions to daily life, starting with not being allowed to leave the country (or at least come back if they left). Their approach was not a winner. Nor could it have been replicated in the US or Europe, but that’s a different matter.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Australia went almost a year with barely any new COVID cases, while having nowhere near the level of disruption to daily routines that has occurred in Europe and the U.S.
I was speaking with a customer of mine in Australia, and they were basically saying the exact opposite of you. Apparently it got to the point where people would carry empty coffee cups with them and pretend to sip to avoid masking mandates - and the police would check the cups to make sure there was liquid in them. No thanks.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 6:06 PM
The City

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investing In Chicago View Post
I was speaking with a customer of mine in Australia, and they were basically saying the exact opposite of you. Apparently it got to the point where people would carry empty coffee cups with them and pretend to sip to avoid masking mandates - and the police would check the cups to make sure there was liquid in them. No thanks.
Haha - in Milan last summer (2020), people were doing the same by just chainsmoking cigarettes (and the police would check that they were lit).

I gather that iheartthed does not have friends or family in Australia.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 6:21 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Australians had HUGE disruptions to daily life, starting with not being allowed to leave the country (or at least come back if they left). Their approach was not a winner. Nor could it have been replicated in the US or Europe, but that’s a different matter.
It's funny that Americans often look at Australia as a great example of #zerocovid but there are better examples right by the US border.

The Maritimes were ~0 covid for a lot of the pandemic (with isolation requirements but no travel bans), then got vaccinated relatively quickly, and are now open up to travel. Australia botched its vaccination rollout and Melbourne specifically just seems crazy, with a response that appears tuned to a pre-antibiotic Black Death level pathogen. I think suppressing transmission when the vaccine rollout was inevitable then opening up after general availability of vaccines is a pretty good trade-off.

Here in BC our fatality rate is 0.04% of the population after 20 months or so, or about 12 days of life lost per capita due to covid deaths. Looking at it that way, what would people suggest should have been changed to get that 0.04% down to 0.02% or even 0%?

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Leaving the country is not a daily routine for most Australians. Australians did not have anywhere near the level of disruption to daily routines that we've had in the U.S. They didn't have a year plus of capacity restrictions, prolonged office closures, school closures/remote learning, etc., that we experienced in many parts of the U.S.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 6:27 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Haha - in Milan last summer (2020), people were doing the same by just chainsmoking cigarettes (and the police would check that they were lit).

I gather that iheartthed does not have friends or family in Australia.
So Italians and Australians can adapt better to a situation than Americans? That's what it sounds like. Can you imagine some American princesses getting their coffee or cigs checked? that would be a lawsuit.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
It's funny that Americans often look at Australia as a great example of #zerocovid but there are better examples right by the US border.

The Maritimes were ~0 covid for a lot of the pandemic (with isolation requirements but no travel bans), then got vaccinated relatively quickly, and are now open up to travel. Australia botched its vaccination rollout and Melbourne specifically just seems crazy, with a response that appears tuned to a pre-antibiotic Black Death level pathogen. I think suppressing transmission when the vaccine rollout was inevitable then opening up after general availability of vaccines is a pretty good trade-off.

Here in BC our fatality rate is 0.04% of the population after 20 months or so, or about 12 days of life lost per capita due to covid deaths. Looking at it that way, what would people suggest should have been changed to get that 0.04% down to 0.02% or even 0%?
I think 0.04% is low enough to imply that the province did too much, not too little. All these restrictions have a cost.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWAK View Post
So Italians and Australians can adapt better to a situation than Americans? That's what it sounds like. Can you imagine some American princesses getting their coffee or cigs checked? that would be a lawsuit.
You’re a bad troll, and I think I’m just going to add you to my ignore list now. See ya.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 8:37 PM
The City

Quote:
You’re a bad troll, and I think I’m just going to add you to my ignore list now. See ya.

Took you that long? That bitter weirdo's been on my ignore list for a very long time

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 8:54 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
I'm right though, Americans aren't as adaptable as Italians or Australians when it comes to COVID rules. What a horrible thing of me to say, meanwhile you can continue to say "let them die" which is not as bad? I actually gave you props for being honest about "not caring". Terrible!
Ignoring is the forum equivalent of canceling opinions a person can't handle. I can handle yours, but you can't handle mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post

Took you that long? That bitter weirdo's been on my ignore list for a very long time
Figures anybody willing to counter your statements gets ignored. It's much easier to just spout off pseudoscience and take jabs at dr ped without repercussions.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 9:02 PM

I'm getting rather tired of spoiled athletes:

Quote:
'Failure to abide by public health measures' leads to postponement of Cal-USC game
Ron Kroichick
Nov. 9, 2021
Updated: Nov. 10, 2021 10:10 a.m.

Cal’s football game against USC was postponed Tuesday after more Bears players tested positive for the coronavirus, making them unavailable to practice this week or play on Saturday.

Cal officials subsequently said the game had been rescheduled for Saturday, Dec. 4 at Memorial Stadium in Berkeley.

The postponement, and the circumstances leading up to it, sparked immediate backlash from Bears players. Senior defensive lineman Luc Bequette expanded on quarterback Chase Garbers’ earlier frustration with University Health Services, shortly after the school announced the postponement.

. . . there are 44 lab-confirmed COVID-19 cases within the Cal football program, adding “cases emerged in an environment of ongoing failure to abide by public health measures.”

[Mathai] Chakko [of Berkeley Public Health] specifically said people in the program did not get tested when sick, stay home when sick or wear masks indoors.

“These simple measures keep people safe,” Chakko said in a written statement. “Failing to do so results not only in individual infections, sickness and worse, but also threatens the safety of all around them — especially those with compromised immune systems.”

Berkeley Public Health “continues to work closely with University Health Services to help contain and respond to the major outbreak,” according to the statement. Cal-OSHA’s workplace safety rules define any workplace environment with 20 cases as a “major outbreak,” Chakko said.

Cal officials have said 99% of the football team is fully vaccinated. In his videoconference with the media, Knowlton said two people in the the program — which he said includes 117 players and staff — are not vaccinated, and both “have COVID.”

A spokesperson for University Health Services did not return voicemails seeking comment.

The news came the day after [Quarterback Chase] Garbers lashed out at school health officials on social media after the loss of 24 players, including himself, to COVID-19 protocols for last Saturday’s game against Arizona.

Garbers, in a post Monday night on Twitter, lamented what he characterized as a lack of communication during a meeting earlier in the day.

“City and university officials spoke to us today, they really had no answers for us,” Garbers wrote. “They just beat around the bush and deflected our questions.”

The issue seems to hinge on whether regular coronavirus testing of Cal players, including those who are vaccinated, is required or “highly recommended,” as Garbers put it. He said players were told Monday that testing is only highly recommended.

But Garbers suggested the university previously had “told us it was mandated and we could not participate unless we tested.”

Wilcox acknowledged after Saturday’s 10-3 loss that players tested positive last week, leading to the absences for the game in Tucson, Ariz. The consequences of a positive test are clearly spelled out on UC Berkeley’s website: “When someone tests positive for COVID-19, they are required to isolate for at least 10 days per public health isolation order, regardless of vaccination status.”

That’s why players who tested positive would have been unavailable to play against Arizona, even though several reportedly later tested negative.

“We have worked too hard to have someone take this all away from us,” Garbers wrote to end his post. “It is wrong. We deserve answers and transparent communication.”
https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/c...h-16606485.php

IMHO, Mr. Garbers, you're a whiney b*tch and don't deserve sh*t. 44 cases out of 117 "players and staff" means something isn't being done right. You don't like getting tested why? Because you know you or other players are likely to test positive? And you think the people in whose faces you are likely to get on the field and in locker rooms don't deserve to know?

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWAK View Post
I'm right though, Americans aren't as adaptable as Italians or Australians when it comes to COVID rules.
That's your opinion, which can't be right or wrong, you get that, right?

Additionally, i'm not sure if i'd agree with that though I don't know a ton of people in AU and the only people I know in Italy is my extended family, who anecdotally doesn't seem to be adapting any better/worse than Americans. Regardless, i'm not sure adapting to COVID rules is necessarily a positive.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 9:05 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
I'm getting rather tired of spoiled athletes:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/c...h-16606485.php

IMHO, Mr. Garbers, you're a whiney b*tch and don't deserve sh*t. 44 cases out of 117 "players and staff" means something isn't being done right. You don't like getting tested why? Because you know you or other players are likely to test positive? And you think the people in whose faces you are likely to get on the field and in locker rooms don't deserve to know?

^ The better solution is to stop testing people.

Because it's dumb. All of this is dumb.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 9:08 PM

Quote:

Someone else said that over a year ago. I think his name was Donald Trump.

Trump said more Covid-19 testing ‘creates more cases.’ We did the math

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 9:14 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investing In Chicago View Post
That's your opinion, which can't be right or wrong, you get that, right?
Yes, so if people don't like it they can tell me why. Seems simple enough, even if it hurts to see what I typed.

Quote:
Additionally, i'm not sure if i'd agree with that though I don't know a ton of people in AU and the only people I know in Italy is my extended family, who anecdotally doesn't seem to be adapting any better/worse than Americans. Regardless, i'm not sure adapting to COVID rules is necessarily a positive.
I was basing it on the information you provided, but obviously it was dangerous enough to get myself ignored. Adapting to the COVID rules, or any situation (in general) is a positive and it makes things easier. Look how upset some forumers get when they see somebody wearing a mask. That won't happen to people who have adjusted/adapted to the mask rules. Other thoughts are possible instead of being angry at the mask wearer.
Quote:

I was right again. Only willing to say stuff to ped while ignoring everybody else who talks back to him.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions