HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 4:28 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta68 View Post
We have the most top students, but we also have the most lower tier students. Not acceptable.
Geez, what's next? The top students consume the blood of the lower tier students for their adrenochrome?

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 10:58 PM

And who are these lower tier students exactly? And I wonder what is the overlap between those and the students getting their tuition and Greek dues paid out-of-pocket by mommy and daddy?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2024, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttownfeen View Post
And who are these lower tier students exactly? And I wonder what is the overlap between those and the students getting their tuition and Greek dues paid out-of-pocket by mommy and daddy?
I am not sure what you are getting at with that question. I just know that the data does not lie. UA admits both more top students, and far more lower tier students than Auburn. UA no longer even requires applicants to submit their ACT or SAT scores, so the ACT avg is not that impressive given the fact that the lowest scoring students now don't have to submit their score. I don't like it.

The lower tier students are not as likely to graduate or graduate on time, they are more likely to accumulate debt, and they depress the general intellectual climate of the campus. Their admission to campus reduces UA's academic prestige. It is like FSU vs. UF. Not sure why any UA alum would be ok with that.

The USNWR rankings show the specific weaknesses for UA and they relate mainly to lower admission standards. It could be fixed so easily.

Meanwhile, despite having less generous instate scholarships, Auburn admits a greater number of instate students than UA. If UA's academic in state rep was better, this would not be the case. Not sure why this is controversial to point out. Our Board has failed UA by letting its academic rep slide so far.

I am not the only one concerned about this: https://www.secrant.com/rant/sec-foo...892550/page-4/

Last edited by atlanta68; Apr 6, 2024 at 3:06 PM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2024, 8:42 PM

The University of Alabama School of Medicine concurs with the Harvard School of Medicine on the "Sham" practice of Acupunture. Like Shamans, Voodoo Priests, Witch Doctors, and Barbers (of old), it's a plecebo affect and complete BULL SHIT. LOL!!!

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...-2017050311672

Old Posted Apr 6, 2024, 8:46 PM

I just wonder if it’s because UA either doesn’t want to or cannot afford to turn down tuition from lower tier students paying OOS rates out of pocket because they can’t get into their states flagships.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2024, 9:44 PM

At least, unlike Pacific College, the University of Alabama has some standards. LOL!!!!

Old Posted Apr 6, 2024, 11:25 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer16 View Post
The University of Alabama School of Medicine concurs with the Harvard School of Medicine on the "Sham" practice of Acupunture. Like Shamans, Voodoo Priests, Witch Doctors, and Barbers (of old), it's a plecebo affect and complete BULL SHIT. LOL!!!

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...-2017050311672
I'm legitimately curious, where in that blog post does it even mention UA?

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 12:37 AM

For our board members who are infatuated by Auburn. I've told you before about how Auburn University reports bogus numbers to US News and WR, among other ranking sources. The "first wave" numbers make them look good, but, they are not the "total" numbers for entering students. After, "first wave", they basically open the doors to any warm body. There is basically no penalty to pay, except a bankrupt soul.

Anyway, I noticed that they claimed over 33,000 at their A-Day game, yesterday. I know, at least one of you would believe that "hook, line. and sinker". By people "in the know", they are a joke with their numbers. Many call it, "Auburn math". It's an Auburn tradition. A lot of gullible people believe them.

Even their own don't believe them....
https://thespun.com/college-football...crowd-saturday

You can't spell FrAUd without the AU.

Another reading for the Auburn believers ....

https://www.al.com/news/2023/04/aubu...ata-shows.html

Just some humor for you all on a Sunday afternoon.

RTR

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 5:38 PM

I want UA outperforming and outranking AU and other comparable universities in every metric. UA no longer even requires ACT/SAT scores, so it is putting itself at a distinct disadvantage in terms of its ability to attract the best and brightest students and NOT the least serious and least capable students. UA will never reach its potential by emphasizing ONLY growth and not quality first. But yeah, that is not a concern among the interest groups, like construction and real estate in Tuscaloosa, who are profiting from growth.

Last edited by atlanta68; Apr 9, 2024 at 6:51 PM.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 9:36 AM

Honesty is always the best policy. Running a sham or being a fraud is not. Same as it ever was. RTR

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 7:05 PM

BAMA Blitz begins Tuesday, April 16th at Noon and ends Thursday, April 18th at Noon.

https://bamablitz.ua.edu/

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 9:39 PM

The 2024 University of Alabama Master Plan was approved by the Board of Trustees, today.

https://buildingbama.ua.edu/2024-master-plan/

Flip through the 138 pages and "zoom in" when necessary. RTR

A good zoomable map. https://buildingbama.ua.edu/wp-conte...rativePlan.png

Note: Two things that excite me the most are the expansion of the Medical School and the Innovation District. A lot more growth is coming. RTR

Last edited by Packer16; Apr 11, 2024 at 10:56 PM.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 1:46 PM

Quote:
The 2024 University of Alabama Master Plan was approved by the Board of Trustees, today.

Note: Two things that excite me the most are the expansion of the Medical School and the Innovation District. A lot more growth is coming. RTR
Packer, you are an incredible source of information. You must have a lot of ins to know where to find this stuff. It's quite impressive. I'm looking forward to looking through all this. I'm starting with all the surveys.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 2:18 PM

Quote:

I was intrigued by the Historic Quad Preservation and Renovation Project on page 82. There's no mention of it in the description, but the image appears to show the pathways all across the Quad or bricked. I hope this is the case as I think it would look really nice.

I remember taking a survey a few years back about how the Quad experience could be improved, and this was actually one of my suggestions. =)

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 6:34 PM

Quote:

After looking through it all, there are exciting times in the future for UA. I did not see anything on the expansion of the Medical School in the Master Plan. Did I just miss it? I know you sent an article a few months ago but wasn't sure if they expanded on it.

As far as surveys go it was weird seeing that both the students and faculty are griping about needing more classrooms. Seems like we need to make the buildings we renovate higher or more classes built and we have a student to faculty ratio of 19:1 which is smaller than a lot of the schools we compete with.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadinhsv View Post
After looking through it all, there are exciting times in the future for UA. I did not see anything on the expansion of the Medical School in the Master Plan. Did I just miss it? I know you sent an article a few months ago but wasn't sure if they expanded on it.

As far as surveys go it was weird seeing that both the students and faculty are griping about needing more classrooms. Seems like we need to make the buildings we renovate higher or more classes built and we have a student to faculty ratio of 19:1 which is smaller than a lot of the schools we compete with.
There's a blurb on pg 129

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 3:17 PM

Some interesting information concerning salaries/GMAT scores for MBA programs:

https://www.mbaguide.org/mba-program...ty-of-alabama/

-$96K average starting salary (Ole Miss is crazy high on this metric only behind Vandy; UA sits at #105 overall, top half of SEC)
-674 is average GMAT score (#3 in SEC behind Vandy and UF)
-Program ROI: 210% (National average is 154%)

Pretty good numbers

Old Posted Today, 8:04 PM

Sorry for the late response.

Midtown, it's very possible your idea was incorporated into the Master Plan. A lot of ideas come in and the "best" ones are saved for future use. Alumni input is very important and all ideas are appreciated. Personalized bricks (at a cost) may be used in some areas to help pay for the project. When complete, it will add another asthetic asset to our University.

Chad, the Master Plan presented here is very general. There is a much more detailed version. The expansion of the Medical School on campus will be program-wise, especially the Family Medicine program, and brick and mortar, that will include research labs and clinical space. Also, when you drive into campus on University Blvd., "The University of Alabama School of Medicine" will be prominently displayed on a much larger (expanded) building facing the Blvd. In other words, there will be no doubt the University of Alabama's campus in Tuscaloosa houses part of the "System's" Medical School.

RTR

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast