HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 1:18 AM
New Yorker for life

Smile NEW YORK | The Orchard (27-48 Jackson Avenue) | 811 FT | 69 FLOORS

A mystery proposal, being studied at the FAA. Maximum height given is 811 ft (809 and 810 at other points of the building). Of course, a study could result in a height reduction. But we'll see what happens. If moved forward at that height, it would be Queens' first 800 footer.

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...671481&row=186

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Jun 22, 2023 at 8:39 AM.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 1:43 AM
BANNED

The City!!!!

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 2:27 PM

There has been a backhoe on the site the past couple of weeks, without any scaffolding or fencing. I thought it was unusual. The parking lot didn't close. They cordoned off one section for the digging and then put down gravel on top before doing the other section. A large building here with additional ground floor retail could help turn this stretch of Jackson into a proper commercial corridor. Good stuff.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 4:48 PM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
Oh heavenly skyscraper God, please stand back and stand by

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 11:20 PM

Nice, another major tower for LIC. And a new tallest.

Looks like a pretty big footprint, too.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 11:58 PM
New Yorker for life

I would like to see LIC become more of a destination, both for people in and out of Queens. Also more retail, restaurants. Theaters.

And this tower at 811 ft would stand out, even if just a little bit. Something definitive for the LIC skyline.

gaffer1956

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2021, 1:09 PM

If I remember correctly, 2 Court Square had to lower its height due to the FAA review. If that is correct, then I don't see this being that tall.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2021, 1:39 PM
Show me the blueprints

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 25, 2021, 1:56 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by steyin View Post
If I remember correctly, 2 Court Square had to lower its height due to the FAA review. If that is correct, then I don't see this being that tall.
The City had the FAA do several studies a few years ago for supertalls in LIC, which were all negative. And both of Queens’ current 2 tallest had to be cut down to the current 778 and 755 ft. But at just 811 ft, I don’t see much of a cut here if any. It’s possible, but not to a major degree. On the other hand, just getting FAA approval doesn’t guarantee it would stay at that height.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2021, 5:57 PM

With regards to making LIC more of a destination, I wonder if they could build an observation tower with a bright color scheme to win over the FAA. The skyline views from those apartments are absolutely insane.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 12:39 AM
New Yorker for life

^ Something that would draw people on a regular basis, more like a combination of things.

Queens' current two tallest. This one would rise a little higher, to the left...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMFUjX_pCA8/

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 8:58 PM
New Yorker for life

https://therealdeal.com/2021/06/18/b...g-island-city/

BLDG plans 800k sq ft tower in Long Island City
Latest LIC high-rise will include retail space and 60+ floors of residential units

By Joe Lovinger | Research By Orion Jones
June 18, 2021

Quote:
BLDG has its sights set skyward in Long Island City.

Lloyd Goldman’s real estate investment firm has filed a permit application to construct an 800,000-square-foot, 818-unit mixed-use building at 42-02 Orchard Street, along Jackson Avenue.

The tower will feature multiple ground-floor retail spaces and more than 60 floors of residential units, according to the plans. Perkins Eastman will design the 780-foot-tall building, which will also include a swimming pool, gym and lounges, according to PincusCo.

BLDG’s tower will have company. Tishman Speyer’s Jackson Park towers sprawl across two blocks on nearby Jackson Avenue, and Rockrose recently filed permits to erect a 301-unit, 193,534-square-foot mixed-use building down the street.

https://www.pincusco.com/bldg-files-...ilding-in-lic/

BLDG files plans for 818-unit mixed-use building in LIC

June 18, 2021

Quote:
Lloyd Goldman’s BLDG Management, on June 15, filed a permit application for construction of an 818-unit, 650,090-square-foot mixed-use building at 42-02 Orchard Street in Long Island City, Queens. The site is about half a block from Sunnyside Yards. Jonathan Zane, senior project manager of development at BLDG, filed the plans.

The Goldman family has had ownership of this parcel since at least 1966, when Sold Goldman and his brother Irving Goldman, who is Lloyd Goldman’s father, were given a loan secured by the property.

The plans call for the construction of a 794-foot tall, 69-story commercial building, and were filed with the New York City Department of Buildings under number Q00528973. The development site spans two tax lots.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 10:47 PM

I think we're talking about two separate towers? The 2748 Jackson Ave. block appears to have different ownership than the 42-02 Orchard Street block.

They're both large parking lots, separate ownership, separate past DOB filings, across the street from each other. I'll guess we'll see in the coming months.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2021, 12:10 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I think we're talking about two separate towers? The 2748 Jackson Ave. block appears to have different ownership than the 42-02 Orchard Street block.

They're both large parking lots, separate ownership, separate past DOB filings, across the street from each other. I'll guess we'll see in the coming months.
Same block.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2021, 5:06 AM
New Yorker for life

A predictable slab design, I just hope its a good one...

Old Posted Jun 19, 2021, 3:00 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jun 19, 2021, 3:31 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Tallest for LIC as well. The area is definitely due for the next boom cycle. I think we are going to see an uptick of projects coming into the pipeline in the next 6 months.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2021, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Tallest for LIC as well. The area is definitely due for the next boom cycle. I think we are going to see an uptick of projects coming into the pipeline in the next 6 months.
Kind of a bummer the FAA chopped the height of this one from 811 to 780 ft. That's just 2 ft taller than Skyline. At least this fills in a parking lot and will further develop the Jackson Blvd corridor. There are more mid-rise towers under construction or planned at the intersection with 44th Dr near Court Square and then closer to the south end near Newtown Creek.

I like the base and potential for more commercial space. Most of the stores along Jackson have survived the pandemic with a few new restaurants opened or coming soon. More residents will help. Hopefully the hotel business picks up again soon, too.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2021, 9:55 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post
Kind of a bummer the FAA chopped the height of this one from 811 to 780 ft. That's just 2 ft taller than Skyline. At least this fills in a parking lot and will further develop the Jackson Blvd corridor. There are more mid-rise towers under construction or planned at the intersection with 44th Dr near Court Square and then closer to the south end near Newtown Creek.

I like the base and potential for more commercial space. Most of the stores along Jackson have survived the pandemic with a few new restaurants opened or coming soon. More residents will help. Hopefully the hotel business picks up again soon, too.

The FAA didn’t cut the height. It’s 790 (791) ft to the main roof. The extra 20 ft or so comes from the mechanical penthouse on the roof, or the bulkhead.

Still, tallest in Queens doesn’t have much bite when the tallest are all around the same height. Queens needs a 9 Dekalb.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2021, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
With regards to making LIC more of a destination, I wonder if they could build an observation tower with a bright color scheme to win over the FAA. The skyline views from those apartments are absolutely insane.
I would like them to build a football stadium over the trainyard. LIC would flourish if it were an exciting destination for NYers. All the elements as far as transportation is in place. Bring back the Jets to NYC!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction