HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Aug 12, 2016, 9:52 PM
Greetings from New Jersey

These are low rise blocks , none of the high rise blocks would be leveled...

Old Posted Aug 12, 2016, 10:15 PM
Mr. Technology

It doesn't matter!
It was painful to see some of my fav restaurants go away (yet, we never discuss that here).
Does anyone remember Foley's Fish House?
How about the Rainbow Grill?
I only listed two, but I don't want to go too far off topic because that's just not my style.
What I am saying is that the Port Authority Terminal should be a protected landmark for so many important and tangible reasons!

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 7:54 PM

I think the local NYC politicians will block it until the need becomes critical, and then the PA will be forced to move it to NJ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
The terminal is done. It will be replaced by something bigger and more efficient.

There will probably be a battle, though, as with almost all major land use decisions in Manhattan. The NIMBYs will fight the new terminal, as it will be gigantic, and will level a few blocks. Probably less likely they protest the huge towers that will replace the current terminal, as practically no one lives around there. They could build 2,000 ft. towers and I doubt the NIMBYs would care.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2016, 2:18 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I think the local NYC politicians will block it until the need becomes critical, and then the PA will be forced to move it to NJ.
we can only hope.

something:

http://therealdeal.com/2016/08/16/po...ical-pressure/

Old Posted Aug 18, 2016, 11:27 PM
Mr. Technology

Building a new terminal in Weehawken would only work if we have the 7 line crossing the Hudson, but that's an option ONLY if they are completely rebuilding the Port Authority Terminal in the same exact spot in Midtown.

That's the only acceptable terms that most of us would agree with because the location is key to the area.

Can you imagine if the city decided to relocate Grand Central Terminal?
Oh heck no (we would all agree with).

I am shocked and surprised that we are not on the same page here.
I seriously am.
I consider the Port Authority Terminal to be a destination in and of itself.
You could walk there from Times Square for a quick lunch away from the tourists.
You could do some shopping there.
Pick up the local paper.
Get your Metrocard.
But seriously, imagine the impact on local jobs that the terminal facilitates!

Crossing the Hudson to do all of that would hurt the NYC economy in ways no one wants to imagine.

Remember folks, keeping the terminal (I am even open to the idea of rebuilding it (on the same exact location)) is the key.

If you love NY, then you must understand this!

Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 2:32 AM

I think a lot of people who oppose this new terminal have real estate interests...most people on reddit or in various comment sections see the need for a New Terminal to built in Manhattan. I noticed this forum is also against rebuilding Penn Station for similar reasons... The PA location west of the site is over the approach roads of the tunnel , not idea for redevelopment so I don't see why the New Yorkers on this forum oppose it...when they didn't oppose the other PA projects like the out of control WTC project or various Bridge projects... The tension is building between the states and New Jerseyites are tired of being used for everything and when it comes time for NY pay its fair share it does not... The only reason for the 7 being extended to Secaucus seems to be for Real Estate... Everything is about Real Estate these days...we have under invested areas that are ripe for redevelopment...yet no one touches them on either side... But they want to build in either Industrial areas or near sensitive areas which are in short supply in this region...

Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 3:53 AM
Mr. Technology

I love the Port Authority Terminal.
I love NY.

This site should be a protected landmark.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 4:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechTalkGuy View Post
I love NY.

I would go so far to protect it...like Grand Central...but to remove it is rather ridiculous...

Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 4:21 AM
Mr. Technology

In my view, the Port Authority Terminal anchors Times Square West as Bryant Park anchors itself.

Would you relocate Bryant Park because you want a soaring skyscraper in that spot?
Just think about that question without answering.
It's the thought behind my words that make New York so great, they named it twice.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 12:33 PM

Quote:
I love NY.

I understand the feeling. I love cancer, dumpster fires, Hitler and Penn Station.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 1:05 PM

^^^^
This.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
I would go so far to protect it...like Grand Central...but to remove it is rather ridiculous...
The floor slabs and ramps only have so long before becoming unusable/unsafe. Repair isn't feasible with the terminal operating and the whole thing is woefully inadequate to current needs (to say nothing of the future). The current PABT is coming down. The fight's going to be if it gets relocated to the further west side site or across the river.

The comparisons to GCT are totally absurd to any human with working senses who has walked through both structures.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 6:14 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
I think a lot of people who oppose this new terminal have real estate interests...most people on reddit or in various comment sections see the need for a New Terminal to built in Manhattan. I noticed this forum is also against rebuilding Penn Station for similar reasons... The PA location west of the site is over the approach roads of the tunnel , not idea for redevelopment so I don't see why the New Yorkers on this forum oppose it...when they didn't oppose the other PA projects like the out of control WTC project or various Bridge projects... The tension is building between the states and New Jerseyites are tired of being used for everything and when it comes time for NY pay its fair share it does not... The only reason for the 7 being extended to Secaucus seems to be for Real Estate... Everything is about Real Estate these days...we have under invested areas that are ripe for redevelopment...yet no one touches them on either side... But they want to build in either Industrial areas or near sensitive areas which are in short supply in this region...

you are right about where they want to rebuild in manhattan. it is not an area that easily lends itself to other kinds of redevelopment. that is fortuitous.

looks and aging decrepitude aside, the current pabt is an incredibly clever structure. i wonder if the new one will be so well built. fitting a bus terminal into a box is no easy task. it's a lot to live up to.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 9:49 PM
Ω

Would building it on a pier be such a crazy idea?

Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 10:05 PM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I understand the feeling. I love cancer, dumpster fires, Hitler and Penn Station.
Just spit out my drink.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 10:29 PM

Quote:
NYC politicans can't block it. They have no oversight over Port Authority activities.

And it would be impossible to move it to NJ, because the Port Authority favors keeping it in Manhattan. Again, local politicans are irrelevant, the authority doesn't answer to politicans on either side of the Hudson, they only answer to the Governors of NY and NJ.

The PABT will be replaced within Manhattan. The existing site will be sold and redeveloped with new towers, and the proceeds from that sale will fund the new terminal, to the west. Local politicans will likely fight, but in the end they can't stop the PA.

Also, the comparison of the existing PABT to GCT is pretty ridiculous. The PABT, while much better than in the past, is comparatively a dump. I will be thrilled when it's torn down and replaced.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2016, 2:32 AM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
I will be thrilled when it's torn down and replaced.
The impact on the city, the workers, the visitors, the tourists, the economic infrastructure impacts not just daily commuters, but local jobs in such a significant and tangible way.

We will agree to disagree on this matter, but make no mistake, the impact on the city is at stake in this alarming development.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 9:48 PM

You've written this in such a way that I can't tell if you're being serious or sarcastic. Good job. However, I really hope it's the latter.

The PABT is a fetid dump that should have never been built in the first place. The land that it and it's approaches take up could have so many better uses than a POS bus terminal.

Quote:
Building a new terminal in Weehawken would only work if we have the 7 line crossing the Hudson, but that's an option ONLY if they are completely rebuilding the Port Authority Terminal in the same exact spot in Midtown.

That's the only acceptable terms that most of us would agree with because the location is key to the area.

Can you imagine if the city decided to relocate Grand Central Terminal?
Oh heck no (we would all agree with).

I am shocked and surprised that we are not on the same page here.
I seriously am.
I consider the Port Authority Terminal to be a destination in and of itself.
You could walk there from Times Square for a quick lunch away from the tourists.
You could do some shopping there.
Pick up the local paper.
Get your Metrocard.
But seriously, imagine the impact on local jobs that the terminal facilitates!

Crossing the Hudson to do all of that would hurt the NYC economy in ways no one wants to imagine.

Remember folks, keeping the terminal (I am even open to the idea of rebuilding it (on the same exact location)) is the key.

If you love NY, then you must understand this!
Again, I hope you're being sarcastic. The existing PABT site, along with the land they've been banking for a replacement, could be used to build hotel, theaters, office buildings, restaurants, bars, apartments, etc, etc. which in total would create vastly more jobs than the PABT does.

Quote:
The impact on the city, the workers, the visitors, the tourists, the economic infrastructure impacts not just daily commuters, but local jobs in such a significant and tangible way.

We will agree to disagree on this matter, but make no mistake, the impact on the city is at stake in this alarming development.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 9:54 PM

Quote:
NYC politicans can't block it. They have no oversight over Port Authority activities.
It seem like they already have. See the articles linked above. Also, if they can't do it directly, they can put pressure on the state level officials (the governor most notably) who do. Also, since it resides in NYC, the local politicians can me doing any work on it REALLY difficult.
Quote:

And it would be impossible to move it to NJ, because the Port Authority favors keeping it in Manhattan. Again, local politicans are irrelevant, the authority doesn't answer to politicans on either side of the Hudson, they only answer to the Governors of NY and NJ.
The PA board members can be pressured and/or replaced. Nothing they've done is set in stone. Maybe some of the NJ appointed BMs can be lured over with better rail access, like using the same extension of the 7 line to also serve Secaucus Junction.
Quote:

The PABT will be replaced within Manhattan. The existing site will be sold and redeveloped with new towers, and the proceeds from that sale will fund the new terminal, to the west. Local politicans will likely fight, but in the end they can't stop the PA.
Repetitive. See above.
Quote:

Also, the comparison of the existing PABT to GCT is pretty ridiculous. The PABT, while much better than in the past, is comparatively a dump. I will be thrilled when it's torn down and replaced.
This I'd agree with. No one goes to the PABT unless they really have to.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 12:46 PM

Quote:
This I'd agree with. No one goes to the PABT unless they really have to.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44fCfJQV7yQ

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development