HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 2:48 PM
Google Steffen Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by daharris80 View Post
I bet this is what they said when Colony Square was built in Midtown. Way out of scale in the neighborhood when it was built.
That is a good point. Isn't North Av being designated as a driverless car test corridor or something like that? I remember reading about that a while back and haven't heard about that since. Our driverless car future brings with it interesting changes to all cities - density, usage and many aspects of the public realm are predicted to change.....not far-fetched and not far off....

https://www.gensler.com/research-ins...gn=dialogue-30

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 2:50 PM

Opus Place

Start building this NOW!

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 2:51 PM

Atlanta development

Is absolutely smoking right now. Most exciting time since I moved here in 2000 by a large margin. What an exciting time to be in the city! Now, if we could start working on expanding transit...

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 4:13 PM

Maybe Some More Hi Tech Office Growth in Midtown

Some National attention for Hi-Tech job growth in Atlanta in part due to cheap office space. Maybe Georgia Tech's Midtown developments will see more growth in the future as seen with the new Portman announcement.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...nto/484759001/

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNR View Post
Some National attention for Hi-Tech job growth in Atlanta in part due to cheap office space. Maybe Georgia Tech's Midtown developments will see more growth in the future as seen with the new Portman announcement.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...nto/484759001/

I just noticed from the map in the article, they skipped Atlanta, but labeled all the other cities... what's sup with that?

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdtwnATL View Post
I don't think Houston is exactly a model to be followed...
Houston has no zoning--

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 5:44 PM
Development Spectator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnr View Post
i just noticed from the map in the article, they skipped atlanta, but labeled all the other cities... What's sup with that?
fake news!

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 5:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I just noticed from the map in the article, they skipped Atlanta, but labeled all the other cities... what's sup with that?
Sons-a-bitches!!!

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpk1292000 View Post
Is absolutely smoking right now. Most exciting time since I moved here in 2000 by a large margin. What an exciting time to be in the city! Now, if we could start working on expanding transit...
Agreed, expansion of transit is a must for the city, ASAP.

But this is great, hope some of the newer designs coming out like Portman today are good though, and actually interact with the street.

I could see a time when Ponce City Market to BOA building could be gradually rising high rises up North and Ponce as someone else mentioned.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Maybe it's been updated...there's a number 5 on Atlanta.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 8:27 PM

Portman Holdings filed for their SAP/SPI permit today for the new 740 West Peachtree project.

Quote:
740 WPeachtree, LLC
3 parcels for a 600,000+ sq ft development to include commercial/retail, office, and residential.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 8:30 PM

Updated

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
Maybe it's been updated...there's a number 5 on Atlanta.
Ahhh, yes. They must have updated the page after lunch.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 12:24 AM

Anyone going to the DRC tonight? Would love to see updates on the Portman project...

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLmangum View Post
Anyone going to the DRC tonight? Would love to see updates on the Portman project...
The project encompasses the eastern half of the block. It does not include the ugly parking deck that takes up the other half of the block.

There will be two towers built in two phases. The first phase will be the tower on the north half of the block closest to Coda. The second phase will be the tower on the south half. Both towers will be built above a parking podium which, once completed, will be integrated and share the same design flow.

It was hard to get a sense of the height, but the idea is that the two towers will step up in height from the Coda building toward the AT&T Tower located at the North Ave MARTA Station. My rough count was that the second tower would be about 35 stories give or take. Coda is supposedly going to be 390 feet tall, so I would expect the tallest tower to be near 500 feet.

The first tower will be all office. Suntrust Bank will relocate temporarily to the south half of the block and then occupy the retail space on the corner of 4th and West Peachtree when the tower is completed. The first tower almost looked like four separate towers joined together at the base. It is hard to describe and I didn't have a good angle to see it clearly. Hopefully someone will publish renderings soon to get a better look.

The second tower will be the tallest. It will consist of offices above the parking podium with 140 residential units on top. They did not officially specify whether they would be condos or apartments but, for what its worth, the architect referred to them as apartments.

As always, most of the discussion centered around the treatment and screening of the parking podium and a curb cut in the middle of the lot exiting onto West Peachtree. Otherwise, the committee was supportive of the project.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 1:47 AM

That is both interesting and somehow incredibly disappointing with all the parking that will be on the block.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 1:52 AM

Another interesting tidbit from the meeting is that the committee kept mentioning another development on the block to the south. This is the third or fourth time I have seen reference to this project over the last six months and am anticipating seeing something concrete about it soon. This has to be the 'Ponce Terminus' concept in the Blueprint Midtown publication released early this year. Anyone have any inside information on this one?

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 3:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbab View Post
The project encompasses the eastern half of the block. It does not include the ugly parking deck that takes up the other half of the block.

There will be two towers built in two phases. The first phase will be the tower on the north half of the block closest to Coda. The second phase will be the tower on the south half. Both towers will be built above a parking podium which, once completed, will be integrated and share the same design flow.

It was hard to get a sense of the height, but the idea is that the two towers will step up in height from the Coda building toward the AT&T Tower located at the North Ave MARTA Station. My rough count was that the second tower would be about 35 stories give or take. Coda is supposedly going to be 390 feet tall, so I would expect the tallest tower to be near 500 feet.

The first tower will be all office. Suntrust Bank will relocate temporarily to the south half of the block and then occupy the retail space on the corner of 4th and West Peachtree when the tower is completed. The first tower almost looked like four separate towers joined together at the base. It is hard to describe and I didn't have a good angle to see it clearly. Hopefully someone will publish renderings soon to get a better look.

The second tower will be the tallest. It will consist of offices above the parking podium with 140 residential units on top. They did not officially specify whether they would be condos or apartments but, for what its worth, the architect referred to them as apartments.

As always, most of the discussion centered around the treatment and screening of the parking podium and a curb cut in the middle of the lot exiting onto West Peachtree. Otherwise, the committee was supportive of the project.
Thanks for the update. This has been beat to death, but ONE-THOUSAND above-ground new parking spaces is not acceptable for a new development literally two blocks from MARTA.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 11:04 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanosolar View Post
Thanks for the update. This has been beat to death, but ONE-THOUSAND above-ground new parking spaces is not acceptable for a new development literally two blocks from MARTA.
Nanosolar - a 600K sqft office building would hold upwards of 3000+ employees not to mention the people in the apartments and retail. Honestly I find it shocking this conversation keeps coming up considering we live in Atlanta, GA. If we lived in Boston, NYC, Chicago your argument would be acceptable. However 70% of the population in the metro is not close to MARTA for it to be an acceptable means of transit.

May I suggest those who share similar beliefs as Nanosolar direct your energy at the State of GA to cut/eliminate transportation funding to Cobb and Gwinnett unless they agree to expanding MARTA to their counties. Without having these two counties on board, MARTA today is a half ass solution to our transportation problem.

The answer is not to punish the developers who are trying to drive development in the city with zoning that would limit the parking allowed. This will only make it more difficult for them to get financing and make their developments less marketable to prospective employers and further drive development to the suburbs.

Trust that I understand your intention. However, I vastly disagree about how we should remedy the problem.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 11:34 AM

ABC has the Portman photos behind a paywall (of course):

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...roject-at.html

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
ABC has the Portman photos behind a paywall (of course):

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...roject-at.html
Hmmm looks short from what I can see in one of the thumbnails. Could be wrong though.

Also, I wish all-glass architectural trends would kindly give way to something new soon. If not, all of Midtown is going to be one large sea of square glass buildings blending together one day.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations